“Nice place, pleasant surprise” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Fairfield Inn & Suites Charleston North/Ashley Phosphate

Save Saved
You added Fairfield Inn & Suites Charleston North/Ashley Phosphate to your Saves list
Fairfield Inn & Suites Charleston North/Ashley Phosphate
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2540 North Forest Dr, North Charleston, SC 29420 (Formerly Comfort Suites)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #23 of 58 Hotels in North Charleston
Tyler, Texas
“Nice place, pleasant surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

Very nice hotel, and certainly one of the nicest in the Choice Hotel family I've stayed in. Excellent staff, great pool, good breakfast, spacious rooms, and excellent bed. Very reasonable cost for a very nice place.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Charleston, South Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

As a Choice Member, for a small additional fee, I was upgraded to a jacuzzi suite, the room tub was dirty & had hair in it, the shower was dirty as well. Trash was left behind on the floor... When I called the front desk, I was treated very rudely. On the way out, I was given the card of an old General Manager that previously managed the property... Bad experience all around. Rooms need upgrading and new tv's. Sleep in directly in front of this property has nicer rooms for less!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Adam W, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Charleston North/Ashley Phosphate, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Let me first apologize for the displeasure you encountered on your stay with us. I noticed you stayed in May of 2012 and wish that it hadn't taken 3 months for you to let us know about your experience here, as I would have been happy to resolve any and all issues during the time of your visit. We strive to provide both an excellent product and service and I can not believe that we fell this short on ANY stay. I leave my business card on display at all times here at our front desk and will speak to my staff about handing out cards of other managers who are currently working for our company. I would love to be able to speak with you about your stay and see what we can do for you in the future as it seems you are a local North Charleston, SC resident in need of frequent hotel accommodations. Give me a call at the hotel. Thanks again for your reviews and we will work to improve as we move forward.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

This is one of many hotels located at the Ashley Phosphate Road exit of I-26. It's a pretty quick drive into downtown (however, we did not do the drive during any weekday rush hour periods).

I was a bit surprised that there were a lot of truckers using this and adjacent hotels. Their rigs were parked all along the access road to the property.

The rooms are spacious although two beds in the "bedroom" area of the suite are a tight fit. Still, having a separate sitting area was very nice. The room was clean, comfortable and quiet. There were two maintenance issues with our room that were not fixed even though we told the desk clerk about them in the morning when we left for a day at the beach. They were: (1) the toilet was not securely attached to the floor, so it wobbled when you sat on it, and (2) the shower rod was loose and sagging in the middle, which made it hard to pull the shower curtain all the way across, because it wanted to slump toward the low point in the middle.

Breakfast was good overall, although the coffee ran out around 8:30 the first morning.

Our other issue related to the pool. There are signs all over this property touting its "100% smoke free environment." Not the pool though! The outdoor pool is a permitted smoking area. In the afternoons a bunch of truckers (well, they were guys who looked like truckers) who were NOT dressed for swimming took up many of the chairs in the pool area, and smoked up a storm.

The price advantage for hotels in this area over hotels in downtown Charleston is HUGE, so I would definitely consider coming back here -- outside of swimming pool season, unless the "100% smoke free environment" is extended to the pool area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate both your positive and negative comments as it helps us to realize the areas in which we need improvement and the areas in which we are achieving our goals. We were to happy to hear of your satisfaction with the cleanliness of the room. Upon reading your review, I made sure to walk to the room myself and inspect the maintenance issues that you reported. I am sorry if those were not fixed during your stay and can assure you that they are fixed now. We also understand your feelings on the service trucks parked in the area and the smoking that is permitted outside. This is a situation in which we try our best to provide a reasonable accommodation for all of our guests. In order for us to provide a smoke free hotel, we need to give an area for those who do smoke to do so and in an effort to provide sufficient parking for our vacation guests or individual business travelers, we allow our bigger vehicles access to park in the street. We do our best to ensure that each and every guest, no matter your market segment, has the access and ability to enjoy what they are looking for in our hotel. We hope to have you back with us whenever you return to the Charleston area!
Chandler, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

Hotel is right off the interstate, about 15 minutes from down town. Front desk staff is very friendly and helpful. Terrific happy hour with the only problem being the limited number of restaurants in walking distance (Ruby Tuesday and McDonalds). Lots of varied restaurants within 5 mile drive. Breakfast was better than most with made to order omelettes. The breakfast crew got slammed with a bus load of girl scouts our last day there and yet they were able to keep fresh food and coffee available for all. The one knock is the maid staff. They completely skipped our room one day. And when they did come in, they skipped making the beds and the hair that was on the bathroom floor when we arrived was still there 3 days later.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Charleston North/Ashley Phosphate, responded to this review, July 4, 2012
We appreciate you taking a moment to provide us with your feedback. While our goal is to have all positive reviews, we do find it helpful for guests to let us know where we slipped so that we can take that information and apply it to areas that we have room to grow in. I will take your comments and use them constructively with my staff to limit these issues moving forward. Ruby Tuesdays and McDonalds are good options to have within walking distance and we also have several others just on the other side of Ashley Phosphate Road that you might have missed while you were here. We are glad that when dining with us in the morning you were able to take advantage of the made to order omelettes and that you found our location to be great in relation to downtown Charleston. All in all, we are glad you had an overall positive stay with us and we hope to have you again in the near future!
North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights June 21-24. This is good value for the price, very near I26, effectively 15 minutes from the historic district. The surrounding area is safe, there is shopping within close driving distance. The staff is friendly and very helpful, enjoyed the happy hour. The hot breakfast was very good for comfort suites hotel chain. We liked the fact that they did not stop serving food before the published 10am stop time, as our kids like to sleep in late on weekends. The only drawbacks were the older tube TV (i know this will be replaced), but we also found a plastic cup on the floor under the bed on arrival (need to have the maids be more thorough!) other than that, the room was clean. Would stay again. My wife LOVED the in-room coffee (manager, what was that brand?).

Room Tip: make sure your room is not a "joining" room between another room
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We are glad to hear about the positives of your stay but are disappointed that we missed on making it perfect. You are correct. We are in the process of upgrading our TVs in all of our rooms as part of a full renovation of our hotel! We are excited for that process to begin and hope to have you back once we are finished so that you can see the difference. I am upset to hear about the cup in the room as well and will take it upon myself to see that this is addressed. We believe in making each and every stay top notch and we fell below the bar that we have set for ourselves with your stay. I hope to have you back and next time we will make sure the only cups in your room are the ones there for the Citavo coffee!
Anaheim CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

The hotel was great in every way. Location was excellent, close enough to down town Charleston(20 minutes). Friendly helpful staff made our stay very enjoyable. Room was clean and large. Beds were comfortable with plenty of pillows. A/C worked great and kept room nice and cool. Shower had good pressure and plenty of hot water. Morning breakfast was filling and a great way to start a day of site seeing. Would stay here again if ever back in the area.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience here with us at the Comfort Suites North Charleston! Everything that you thought to mention in your review pretty much equals up to why we feel confident in saying that we offer the best value in the Charleston area. We are glad to provide the location and amenities of the property but are proud to have the staff to take it over the top. We are happy that you feel the same way and look forward to having you back if you are ever in the Charleston area again!
Greensboro, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

My husband had to be on business in Charleston for a week, so we decided to go down a day early and stay on our own. I booked the Comfort Suites North Charleston because of the reasonable price and great TripAdvisor reviews.

Let me point out the positives before I start on negative.

-The lobby and breakfast area are both very attractive and clean.
-I love that the entire hotel is smoke free
-Location is great---right of I26
-Our king size room had a small microwave and fridge which was great.

Negatives:

-Upon entering, the comforter was lumpy and rumpled. As if someone had been laying on it. (see picture)
-Room smells like Carpet Fresh. UGH. Makes me feel like they are covering up something I don't want to know about.
-The room is average, maybe slightly below. Furniture is old and worn. The carpet had large stains.
-Bed sheets had many hairs on them. YUCK
-Large entry foyer of wasted space.
-The remote control only changes channels. The volume and power had to be adjusted on the TV.
-TV itself is an old tube style television.
-Internet is VERY slow, averaging between 18 and 36 mbps.

Overall, I'm not saying this was a horrible hotel. Just not nearly as nice as expected for the price range and other reviews. For the rest of our trip we will be staying in another hotel in the downtown, historic district which is the same price. Hopefully, I will have a more positive review from that property.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevators.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Charleston North/Ashley Phosphate, responded to this review, June 26, 2012
Thank you for taking the time out of your vacation to review our hotel. We are disappointed in the negatives of your review and will strive to correct those issues moving forward. We are glad that you were impressed with our lobby and breakfast areas. Those sections of our hotel, along with all of our guest rooms and other common areas, are very important to us and we give 100% effort day in and day out in maintaining our hotel.

I do apologize about the negative aspects of your stay. I wish that we would have known about them during your stay and we would have done everything possible to right the wrongs and keep you here with us for your entire trip. We make it a point to emphasize our cleanliness at this hotel and I do apologize that our air freshener was maybe a bit strong. We want to make sure that the room is fresh for each and every new guest. I also am not pleased to hear of the appearance of your bed. We take pride in our linen process and the rotation that we put it through to ensure a top quality product for our guests. It appears we have fallen short with your room. Lastly, we admit that the TVs are a bit of an issue. We are currently in the process of updating our TVs to flat screens and are excited about the new additions to our property.

We do believe to offer one of the best values throughout the greater Charleston area and hope to have you back on a future stay to show you these issues are more of a rarity than a normality. Please feel free to contact us if you ever return to the area! Enjoy the rest of your trip in the great city of Charleston, South Carolina!

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Charleston North/Ashley Phosphate? Share your experiences!