“Great Food and Low Prices” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Update restaurant details
Cuisines: Barbecue
Woodbury, New Jersey
“Great Food and Low Prices”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

My wife and I, along with a friend spent three days in North Charleston staying at a hotel on the campus of Charleston Southern University....less than a mile away sits Willie Jewell's Bar-B-Q.
No pretentious airs here....just great food and reasonable prices....we ate here twice the food is so good....smoked turkey, sausage pulled pork, half a chicken...turkey dinner comes with two sides of your choice....the green beans and collard greens with vinegar are to die for...they also have a two-meat combo, including pork, beef, turkey or smoked sausage, along with the two sides and garlic toast, all for under ten bucks. You can buy bottled beer any day but Sunday.
It's clean and the service is both friendly and efficient. A wonderful discovery in North Charleston.
Hope to return soon.

• Visited September 2012

75% Recommend
North Charleston, South Carolina
“Don't Judge by First Appearances”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Walking into the place gives you an authentic bbq atmosphere. However, when getting our Styrofoam cups and cheap straws that didn't seem to open on one end, we were a bit sketchy.

Thankfully, we held out and tried the food. Out of five of us, nobody had a complaint other than the potato salad tasted different than they were used to. The ribs, the pulled pork, baked beans, green beans, cole slaw, and pecan pie were all satisfying.

This is one of the best places I have been to in North Charleston for BBQ. The service was pretty nice, as well. Price is decent. Spent roughly $10/person including meal, drink, and dessert. I recommend for family or couples (or even solo!).

• Visited October 2012
Rock Hill, SC
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I stayed at the Hampton Inn on Fernwood which is directly behind Willie Jewels. It's in a strip mall, which doesn't bode well for a BBQ shack. but I really wanted a beer, and it was in walking distance. Oh my goodness!! First off, the people were great. The owner was in the kitchen, while her son rang me up - such nice folks. Next, the portions - mercy! I got the 2 meats and 2 sides plate. I was stuffed. Also, (like true South Carolina BBQ) they had great mustard-based sauce...it's the only way to go (although they did have some others). So, there I was...stuffing my face, listening to classic 70s tunes on the radio, and drinking a few cold ones. It was great. I will be back!

• Visited September 2012
Coldspring, Texas
“A Pilgrimage”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012 via mobile

I am from Texas. I eat a lot of barbecue. I have been disappointed in some of the "best" barbecue places in Texas. Willie Jewell's does not disappoint! I have eaten there twice now. I am an out of town visitor.  Their sliced beef is excellent! They have a nice variety of sauces and a great selection of sides. I was not thrilled with their cole slaw, but slaw is one of "those dishes" where people have strong preconceptions of what good slaw should be. It was a little bland for me. But then, my favorite slaw has a hint of jalapeño! The staff is great. The restaurant is clean. The location, near a major hotel and a large middle class neighborhood, is good. The prices are reasonable. Be sure and order dessert! A nice place to eat in North Charleston.

Goose Creek, South Carolina
“Good Lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Willie Jewels has a good lunch menu at a reasonable price.
The food is always good, portions are large and the side are always fresh.

Visited September 2012