“Very Nice Hotel just to high and to noisey” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Charleston Plaza Hotel

You added Charleston Plaza Hotel to your Saves list
Charleston Plaza Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4770 Goer Dr., North Charleston, SC 29406 (Formerly InnPlace Charleston Airport Hotel)   |
Ranked #37 of 59 Hotels in North Charleston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Charleston, South Carolina
“Very Nice Hotel just to high and to noisey”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I recently stayed at the Crown Plaza by Tanger Outlet for 3 nights/4 days from a Thursday to a Sunday. The rooms by the pictures attached display how nice of a room your will be getting. Our room had two double queen beds. It is very spacious for any family of four and for any couple. The rooms are clean however there were some discrepancies. Because these room are inside but similiar to a "Esbassy Suite" so far as the interior, you will hear all of the noise in the bar area and the lobby. In addition, this went on every night until very late hours of the night around 12:00 to 2:00am. I called to complain to the front desk every night and nothing was done. I only received an apology and that was it so if you have children this honestly is not the hotel for you. At least the Embassy Suites has closing doors that separate the living room area from the bedrooms so you'll have better luck there.

The next issue was the noise of hearing everyone TAKING A SHOWER, USING THE BATHROOM, EVEN DOWN TO CONVERSATIONS I DIDN'T NEED TO HEAR! For this hotel to be as nice as it was, I was truly disappointed with these. Also the price per night was $129 and on Friday and Saturday $139. My husband and I spent alot of money to not even get any compensation for all of the interruptions during our stay. Yes the staff are very professional and neatly presentable but they do not in any form know how to handle customer relations or guest issues which is a huge problem.

My husband who is a 25 year veteran said we will not return and I agree..

Green Features: environmentally-friendly all the way which is good!
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
TheHotelGM, General Manager at Charleston Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Hello HeartofGold2971,

Although I am sorry to read about your experience at the hotel you stayed in, I would like to inform you that you are referring to Crown Plaza and not our hotel, which is Charleston Plaza. You have mistakenly written your review for that hotel on our TripAdvisor page. We do hope however, that your future stays will be more satisfactory and comfortable. If you do come to this area, do visit us, we will be happy to welcome you to our hotel. Thank you.

Charleston Plaza Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

On an ill planned trip down the coastline, we booked through a discount travel site in order to find a vacant room in our price range (less than 99 per night)? We were checked in quickly by a courteous staff member and advised of what the hotel had to offer. We arrived to our room, the a/c was already on, the room was clean, the linens and towels were clean, and no odors were present. The TV didn't immediately power on, but a call to the desk had a maintenance person arrive promptly who fixed it. Being tired from walking around chas all day, we settled on the house Restaraunt and bar downstairs. Christy C, the sole staff for the evening, was very courteous, as prompt as possible with food/drinks, and did an awesome job given that the Restaraunt was severely understaffed with 15 ppl dining and several room service calls (which she was also expected to take and deliver). Several phone calls went unanswered and one couple arrived to the bar but soon left after they could not get prompt service, but no fault to the sole server as she was doing her very best to seat, serve, take room service calls, and bar tend. The shrimp pasta was hot as was the pizza, no complaints on the food. My other complaint was them being out of sweet tea. Really? Buy tea bags and sugar and make tea. Other reviews state that the bar/Restaraunt is understaffed, and the hotel welcomes trip advisor reviews, so why should this still be a problem?

So for review the hotel is clean, the bed is comfy, the staff is courteous, the rooms are decent, I didnt use the pool or fitness facility, but the Restaraunt/room service severely needs additional help.

Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
TheHotelGM, General Manager at Charleston Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Thank you for your review regarding your stay with us recently. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your overall stay with us. We are also happy to find that you were very satisfied with our accommodations, clean rooms and hotel facilities. Our Housekeeping staff strive to do an excellent job in keeping our facilities clean and fresh daily. I will share your comments with them and thank them for their continued great service. I would also like to thank you for sharing your gracious comments about Christy, we will definitely pass your compliments to her. I was sorry as we were not able to serve you with sweet tea at our restaurant. I have shared your review with the concerned team to ensure it does not occur in future.

I do hope you will reconsider and return to Charleston Plaza Hotel as I would like you to experience the Hotel amenities as I would have liked you to on this visit. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW via mobile

This is the best place to stay in North Charleston, SC. I came in town early and needed an early check in. I waited about 10 minutes & my room was ready. While waiting in the Lobby one of the staff members noticed my 10 year old son and offered snacks & drinks since we'd been traveling. I was met by the Manager & the front desk associate Georgia with great smiles and greetings.When I walked into to suite, I was blown away. It was so nice, clean & spacious. Even coming in after a long day with family I was greeted by the Night Auditor who was overly joyous so late at night. The owners should really be proud of the friendly staff. Job Well Done!

Stayed May 2015, traveled with family
TheHotelGM, General Manager at Charleston Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Thank you for your recent stay at the Charleston Plaza Hotel. It was wonderful for me to read that you enjoyed our facilities and our staff's exceptional service. They work hard in meeting all our guests needs daily, after all this is what Hospitality is all about. I will be sharing your gracious comments with Georgia and our team for a job well done! We are also glad to know that you enjoyed your stay in your spacious suite. Thank you again for staying with us and we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back soon to a newly renovated hotel.

Virginia Beach, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

I’m going 2 ½ stars on this one but will upgrade to 3 since the management was decent. Had a one night Priceline stay here and it was a rough night. Got in late and the room was reserved for us with no issues at checkin which was great since they were completely booked up. Location was decent, right off the freeway and fairly close to downtown Charleston, but not much right around it. Got to our room and it was older but pretty well maintained and in good condition. Bed was comfortable, AC worked well. But you could definitely tell it was older. Big complaint about the room was that it had an elongated toilet with a small round toilet seat on it… Upon telling management in the morning they said they would fix it. That should have never ever been that way, especially not for a 3 star hotel that has room service and tries to be upscale. One of the elevators we took had double doors and a printed sign on the back door that said something to the effect of "do not lean on, door may open". Not sure how safe that was! Our rough night though was that there was a whole lot of noise on our floor, and I mean A LOT! People banging doors, lady next to us was banging on her door for over an hour with several complaints from us and a security guard coming and escorting her away, yes she came back. Totally hammered. Found out in the morning after numerous complaints that they had an entire fraternity staying on the floor we were on who had hired their own security guard since they knew it was going to be loud. Big shocker there was so much noise. Definitely not where you want to put other guests. After numerous complaints the management worked with Priceline to get us a partial refund which was nice, why I upgraded them a little. But our night was very little sleep and several phone calls to the front desk. They definitely had several big functions going on while we were there so the hotel is probably good for that, but maybe not for a quiet stay if that’s what you are looking for.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear Patrick,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us valuable feedback for our growth and improvement. Please accept my sincere apologies for your less than exceptional stay. We strive to ensure our guests enjoy their experience and I am very sorry we fell short in providing a peaceful night’s sleep. Thank you for noting that your liked our location and that we were well maintained. I agree that we are in need of a refresh and I am happy that we will begin a full renovation in the next few months. We will have all the latest upgrades and a beautiful facility to welcome you back to if we have the pleasure of providing your future accommodations. Thank you again for your review.

Warm Regards,
Oregon City, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I attended a conference here. The staff was friendly, my room was old, with some updates. The room was clean and comfortable. My opinion is the staff really tries, but nothing really works. The restaurant food was very good when you got it. The trouble is you'll probably wait a long time to get it. One night they ran out of two or three things on a menu, that was not large to begin with. The problem appears to be poor management.

Room Tip: look at the room first.
Green Features: They appear to be o.k. They have signs up about saving on laundry and electricity
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
TheHotelGM, General Manager at Charleston Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you for your review regarding your stay with us recently. I’m glad to know that you were very satisfied with our clean and comfortable accommodation. Although I was pleased to hear that my staff provided you with friendly service, I was sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectation at our restaurant. I have shared your concern about the service at our restaurant with the respective team to ensure this does not happen in future. I do hope you will reconsider and return to Charleston Plaza Hotel as I would like you to experience the Hotel as I would have liked you to on this visit. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Anderson, South Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We stayed here last weekend for a Toastmasters conference, which was being held at this hotel. When we checked into room 513, we first noticed that the ice bucket had about 3" of water in it and hundreds of floating dead winged insects of some type. We showed it to the asst. night manager and a desk clerk on duty; they were appropriately appalled, apologized, and said a new ice bucket would be sent up to us. Upon returning to the room, we noticed a pill lying on the bathroom counter, a filthy toilet (I won't make you gag with a description), and wadded up paper on the bathroom floor. Called the desk and we were promptly moved to the 8th (top) floor at no additional cost and were given a voucher for a free breakfast buffet.

The good: the staff were friendly, helpful, and professional. The lobby looks updated and lovely. Our queen beds were comfy.

The not-so-good: This hotel needs a complete renovation and I would not recommend that anyone stay here. Carpets are dirty, wallpaper is dirty and peeling; breakfast food was not hot and not very tasty.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
TheHotelGM, General Manager at Charleston Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Carroll M,

Thank you for reviewing our property. On behalf of the entire Housekeeping team, please accept our sincere apologies for the multiple issues you encountered during your stay. We strive to provide clean facilities for all our guests and seems we fell short of this during your stay. But, on the positive note, I am glad that our front desk associates could accommodate you to a better room where you found your bed to be comfortable. I appreciate you for all the compliments for the service you received from our staff.

However, I am sorry that we did not live up to your expectations at the breakfast services and I will certainly follow up with our Chef and share your feedback and improve accordingly. I am happy to announce that we are in our final stages of our renovation arrangements and will be starting the project soon. I would love to be able to welcome you back soon and experience first hand our refreshed and renewed facilities. Please let my office know of your future plans as I would love to welcome you back and showcase our new facility.

Warm regards,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We are crew members working on the cruise ship. After a very long flight, the only desire is to have some nice food and hit straight down to bed. The food is here is good. Despite being one of the oldest hotel in the city. The hotel look pretty decent. The room and the bed are cozy. Good place to take a rest after a long haul flight. The staffs at the counter ate very friendly and is very accomadating. Answer all our questions promptly in a professional manner.

Stayed May 2015, traveled on business
TheHotelGM, General Manager at Charleston Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your group's experience at the Charleston Plaza. I am glad that your stay was a comfortable one and our accommodations were just what you needed after a long flight. I was happy to read that you and the rest of the crew members enjoyed the food served here and that our staff was able to meet all your group's needs and expectations. l will pass on your gracious comments to my team and thank them for their services. We would love for you to return and stay with us should your travel brings you back to the area and experience our newly renovated hotel in the near future.

Charleston Plaza Hotel

Been to Charleston Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!