“Oh, my; where to begin” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Charleston Plaza Hotel

You added Charleston Plaza Hotel to your Saves list
Charleston Plaza Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4770 Goer Dr., North Charleston, SC 29406 (Formerly InnPlace Charleston Airport Hotel)   |
Ranked #38 of 59 Hotels in North Charleston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Anderson, South Carolina
“Oh, my; where to begin”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We stayed here last weekend for a Toastmasters conference, which was being held at this hotel. When we checked into room 513, we first noticed that the ice bucket had about 3" of water in it and hundreds of floating dead winged insects of some type. We showed it to the asst. night manager and a desk clerk on duty; they were appropriately appalled, apologized, and said a new ice bucket would be sent up to us. Upon returning to the room, we noticed a pill lying on the bathroom counter, a filthy toilet (I won't make you gag with a description), and wadded up paper on the bathroom floor. Called the desk and we were promptly moved to the 8th (top) floor at no additional cost and were given a voucher for a free breakfast buffet.

The good: the staff were friendly, helpful, and professional. The lobby looks updated and lovely. Our queen beds were comfy.

The not-so-good: This hotel needs a complete renovation and I would not recommend that anyone stay here. Carpets are dirty, wallpaper is dirty and peeling; breakfast food was not hot and not very tasty.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
TheHotelGM, General Manager at Charleston Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear Carroll M,

Thank you for reviewing our property. On behalf of the entire Housekeeping team, please accept our sincere apologies for the multiple issues you encountered during your stay. We strive to provide clean facilities for all our guests and seems we fell short of this during your stay. But, on the positive note, I am glad that our front desk associates could accommodate you to a better room where you found your bed to be comfortable. I appreciate you for all the compliments for the service you received from our staff.

However, I am sorry that we did not live up to your expectations at the breakfast services and I will certainly follow up with our Chef and share your feedback and improve accordingly. I am happy to announce that we are in our final stages of our renovation arrangements and will be starting the project soon. I would love to be able to welcome you back soon and experience first hand our refreshed and renewed facilities. Please let my office know of your future plans as I would love to welcome you back and showcase our new facility.

Warm regards,

Charleston Plaza Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We are crew members working on the cruise ship. After a very long flight, the only desire is to have some nice food and hit straight down to bed. The food is here is good. Despite being one of the oldest hotel in the city. The hotel look pretty decent. The room and the bed are cozy. Good place to take a rest after a long haul flight. The staffs at the counter ate very friendly and is very accomadating. Answer all our questions promptly in a professional manner.

Stayed May 2015, traveled on business
TheHotelGM, General Manager at Charleston Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your group's experience at the Charleston Plaza. I am glad that your stay was a comfortable one and our accommodations were just what you needed after a long flight. I was happy to read that you and the rest of the crew members enjoyed the food served here and that our staff was able to meet all your group's needs and expectations. l will pass on your gracious comments to my team and thank them for their services. We would love for you to return and stay with us should your travel brings you back to the area and experience our newly renovated hotel in the near future.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

One of the worst hotel experiences we have had. Checked in was messed up....at 12am after driving five hours to get there. House keeping did not clean the room. When we reported it,we were told they had no staff there at night. Front desk manager was rude and disrespectful. Did everything shy of calling us a liar! Room bath tub would not drain! It goes on and on. Would recommend a low end motel over this establishment!

Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
TheHotelGM, General Manager at Charleston Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Please accept my sincerest apologies for not providing you with exceptional service. I am very saddened to read your review. I was sorry to learn about the inconvenience you encountered at the check in and also for the behavior of the staff as you described is completely unacceptable and does not convey the hospitality and level of service our associates are trained to deliver. We are very passionate about providing our guests with the most clean facilities and we pride ourselves with the training in place for our associates in teaching customer service and it sounds like we failed in doing this. I have discussed your observations with the team to review our current procedures to see where we failed and make corrections accordingly to assure it does not repeat again. Thank you again and I would really appreciate you giving us another opportunity and stay with us and prove ourselves to you in the near future.

Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Very clean guest rooms. The bed was very good and great covers. This hotel has Direct TV so when it is cloudy you have no TV, this happened one night to us, so we went down to the bar. We had a meeting in one of the meeting rooms by the pool, the lights kept going on bright then dim, there must be a short in that room. The public restrooms were clean however when walking past it had a smell I think the carpet needs to be replaced by the restrooms. Most of our groups bill was incorrect so be sure and check that.

Room Tip: The rooms are quiet and very clean.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Charleston Plaza Hotel for your group meeting recently. It was a pleasure to read your wonderful compliments regarding your clean and comfortable accommodations. However, I apologize for the interruption caused due to the power fluctuations and the inconvenience caused due to the error in your billing. Thank you again for your candid feedback and I will certainly follow up with the respective Heads of the department to ensure that this does not repeat in the future.

On a pleasant note, I am happy to share that we are in our final stages of design and renovation plans and will be starting the process really soon. I would love for you to be able to experience firsthand the finished product and enjoy the refreshed facilities should your travel brings you back to the area.

Manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I enjoyed my stay here but the experience could have been better. Lobby is impressive, room was good size. I was surprised that the restaurant/bar was not open for lunch. The bar does have a 5-7 pm happy hour with beers $2.50 and well drinks $3.50. There is a nIce pool outside with very comfortable lounge chairs but the water was cold. The pool inside was warmer but the area is in need of painting and cleanup. The desk staff were very pleasant and accommodating. I had requested 2 beds but my room only had 1 king size bed,and despite being sold out, they managed to find me a room with 2 beds. The air conditioner was very noisy and kept me awake. The shuttleto downtown Chalreston is pretty useless as it only goes at 10:00, 2:00, 6:00, 9:00 and it costs $20.

I think this is a good place for people who want to save money by not staying in Charleston proper and who have a car. Its' clean, comfortable, safe, beds are comfortable, and the kids will enjoy the pool.

Room Tip: i would ask if they have any large groups coming in (they had a huge group of young adults there whe...
Green Features: They seem to be very conservative with soup as ours was tiny.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Thank you for your recent stay and we truly appreciate you taking the time to write a review about your experience at our hotel. I am glad that the lobby and your room was to your liking and our Front desk associates took care of your accommodation requirement. However, I apologize for the air conditioning issues you encountered during your stay and that the shuttle service was not convenient for your needs. I have researched the room you had stayed in and alerted my engineering team to service the unit immediately and I am sorry for the inconvenience this must have caused to you.

I am happy to announce that we are in our final stages of our renovation arrangements and will be starting the project soon. I would love to be able to welcome you back soon and experience first hand our refreshed and renewed facilities. Thank you for your candid feedback as it will only help us to improve and become better. We do hope you give us another chance and stay with us again when you return to the North Charleston area.

Alexandria, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I read the previous reviews and expected the worst of my Priceline selected hotel. As others mentioned, the lobby is immaculate but that's pretty much where the magic ends. Our room was OK - the bedroom was fairly clean (no obvious stains or smells) but the decor is lacking and definitely needs to be updated. The bathroom (as other mentioned) is tiny and WELL overdue for a remodel. There was no fridge, microwave or breakfast included.

The best thing about our stay was the service and the pool. The staff was was friendly and accommodating and the indoor/outdoor pool was nice and heated.

The hotel is in a great location - right off the highway, minutes from Charleston and close to many restaurants and shopping. I believe it has potential and for the price we paid, I think we got a fair deal. But the advertised rates (and 3-star rating) are probably a bit of a stretch.

P.S. They recently changed their pet policy - they are no longer allowed on the property.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
TheHotelGM, General Manager at Charleston Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Thank you for choosing the Charleston Plaza Hotel for your most recent stay. I agree with you regarding your observation about revamping and updating. I am happy to share that we are in our final stages of design and renovation plans and I would love for you to be able to experience firsthand the finished product and enjoy the refreshed facilities in the near future. However, on the positive note, I was happy to read your comments praising the staff for the service they provided and that our convenient location was to your liking. I appreciate your constructive feedback. Thank you again and please come back and stay with us on a future trip to North Charleston .

Indianapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

This is an excellent luxury hotel and well designed for business gatherings. They have carefully orchestrated the perfect experience for business/pleasure travel. The staff is well above average and helpful beyond measure. The tours they offer in group sales are top notch! I don't think I've ever learned more about a place I have visited before. The theater across the street, owned by the hotel is a treat and the food was above average as well. This is the perfect location in Charleston, within walking distance to everything.

Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Thank you for such a terrific review regarding your stay at the Charleston Plaza Hotel for your business trip. I am so glad that our location was convenient for your visit and you liked our meeting facilities. I am absolutely delighted to read all the wonderful compliments you have given regarding our Sales and Catering team. I will pass on your praises to them and let them know their hard work does not go unnoticed.

I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you again and thank you again for sharing your comments online for others to read that might be considering our facilities for their group's needs.

Charleston Plaza Hotel

Been to Charleston Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!