“Decent but definitely not a 3-star hotel...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Charleston Plaza Hotel

You added Charleston Plaza Hotel to your Saves list
Charleston Plaza Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4770 Goer Dr., North Charleston, SC 29406 (Formerly InnPlace Charleston Airport Hotel)   |
Ranked #38 of 58 Hotels in North Charleston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Alexandria, VA
“Decent but definitely not a 3-star hotel...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I read the previous reviews and expected the worst of my Priceline selected hotel. As others mentioned, the lobby is immaculate but that's pretty much where the magic ends. Our room was OK - the bedroom was fairly clean (no obvious stains or smells) but the decor is lacking and definitely needs to be updated. The bathroom (as other mentioned) is tiny and WELL overdue for a remodel. There was no fridge, microwave or breakfast included.

The best thing about our stay was the service and the pool. The staff was was friendly and accommodating and the indoor/outdoor pool was nice and heated.

The hotel is in a great location - right off the highway, minutes from Charleston and close to many restaurants and shopping. I believe it has potential and for the price we paid, I think we got a fair deal. But the advertised rates (and 3-star rating) are probably a bit of a stretch.

P.S. They recently changed their pet policy - they are no longer allowed on the property.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Indianapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW via mobile

This is an excellent luxury hotel and well designed for business gatherings. They have carefully orchestrated the perfect experience for business/pleasure travel. The staff is well above average and helpful beyond measure. The tours they offer in group sales are top notch! I don't think I've ever learned more about a place I have visited before. The theater across the street, owned by the hotel is a treat and the food was above average as well. This is the perfect location in Charleston, within walking distance to everything.

Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
TheHotelGM, General Manager at Charleston Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Thank you for such a terrific review regarding your stay at the Charleston Plaza Hotel for your business trip. I am so glad that our location was convenient for your visit and you liked our meeting facilities. I am absolutely delighted to read all the wonderful compliments you have given regarding our Sales and Catering team. I will pass on your praises to them and let them know their hard work does not go unnoticed.

I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you again and thank you again for sharing your comments online for others to read that might be considering our facilities for their group's needs.

Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Easy access off Interstate. Price is much cheaper than any downtown Charleston hotel & an easy, quick 10 minute drive. Nice, large lobby. Front desk very helpful and friendly. They allowed us to check in pretty early. Nice indoor and outdoor pool areas. Rooms are clean, but on the small side. Restrooms are also very small. Air conditioner was pretty loud when it kicked on. Comfortable beds. Close to outlet shopping. Hotel is under the flight path for the airport and very near a military base with tons of loud cargo planes & jets flying directly over. They can be loud, so if you're a light sleeper, you might want to bring ear plugs.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Thank you for your recent stay and for your four star rating. I was pleased to read that you were satisfied with your overall stay. It was a pleasure to read that you found our location to be convenient and were happy with the prices. I would love to share your compliments with our Front desk staff for their friendly service. However, I apologize for any inconveniences caused due to the noise issues you had during your stay. We hope to have the opportunity of you returning to the Charleston Plaza Hotel and experiencing our newly updated and refreshed facilities.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We were there from April 7-10, 2015. We went for Spring Break. The hotel was nice and clean. The shift manager at the time was very helpful and the poor thing was trying to please everybody with two weddings and a conference going on at the same time. After visiting beautiful downtown Charleston and Foley Beach we would go back to the hotel and relax at the bar. We enjoyed the bartender at the time Augustin Melo. He was so funny and his hospitality was great. My children enjoyed the option of an indoor pool and an outdoor pool. Our rooms were clean every time we went back to our hotel room. We would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: My room was on the fifth floor. The beds were double instead of queen so we requested a portable bed...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Thank you for your stay at the Charleston Plaza Hotel. It was wonderful for me to read that you and your family enjoyed our facilities and our staff's exceptional service. They work hard in meeting all our guests needs daily, after all this is what Hospitality is all about. I will be sharing your gracious comments with Augustin Melo and the shift manager as well and thank them for a job well done! Thank you again for staying multiple nights with us and we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back soon.

Rock Hill, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

My boyfriend, his parents and I stayed over the weekend at this hotel. First impressions were good. Nice lobby, right off the highway, and easy to get into downtown Charleston. The rooms were not so great. The air conditioner was very loud throughout the evening and leaked water all over the carpet, and the TV remote did not work. Also, on our second day we were left without any bath towels from housekeeping. My boyfriend called the front desk 3x and none were brought to us. He ended up asking the housekeeping person who was in the hallway. She was rude to him when all he asked for was 2 bath towels. Overall it was a fine place to stay but I would not stay there again if I had other options.

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
TheHotelGM, General Manager at Charleston Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Dear Eby K,

Thank you for your recent stay at the Charleston Plaza Hotel. I am very sad to hear that our team did not provide the level of service we are trained to deliver. I am extremely disappointed that one of my team members was rude. This is not acceptable and certainly not the norm. We will address your comments with our housekeeping and engineering departments immediately. I would like to share that we are in the final stages of our renovation plans to include a complete refresh of our guest rooms and all public and meeting space. I would love for you to come back and give us another chance to redeem ourselves once these renovations are complete. Please do not hesitate to contact my office with your travel information as I would love to make your reservations arrangements.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

I booked the room through Expedia. The hotel could not give me the rate for the room. The air conditioning was not working so they worked on it while we attended a wedding. It was better but by 11:30 that night it stopped again. we moved rooms and that A/C stopped working around 4 am. We got very little rest. The staff we're nice and they did try. They comped our breakfast and we appreciated that. I will have to wait to hear from Expedia about. Price break on the room.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Dear Chuck N,

First I would like to thank you for staying at the Charleston Plaza Hotel. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to provide us feedback for our growth and improvement. Please accept my sincere apologies for falling short of providing you an excellent stay. Our engineering team is addressing the AC unit and continues to complete scheduled maintenance to prevent issues like these. Thank you again for your review.

Warm Regards,
Blacksburg, Virginia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My fiance and I stayed here for 2 nights while visiting Charleston and had a really nice stay. We came into town at the last minute and found it nearly impossible. After calling around we were lucky enough to find a room here. We booked the room and were told that check in was at 3pm. We spent some time in town and then arrived at the hotel at about 3:45 and were told that it would be another few minutes before we could check in. I think that with as many people as were in town, it took longer than normal to turn over the rooms. I was a little frustrated at first, but 5 minutes later they were checking people in and everything moved really quickly. We were in our room by 4.
The room we had was pretty basic; no mini-fridge or microwave, two full sized beds. From what the lady at the desk told my fiance, they are in the process of renovating the hotel, so some rooms might be better than others, but ours was definitely older, had poor lighting, popcorn ceiling, stuff like that. However, it was clean and well kept, so I didn't really mind.
Everything else about the hotel was nice. We spent a couple of hours in the indoor heated pool which was clean and well maintained and very comfortable. We also had dinner at the hotel bar one night and it was delicious.We had the classic burger and the portabello and red pepper quesadilla with shrimp and I would recommend either of those items. Service was a little on the slow side since there were so many people, but everyone was polite and helpful. Throughout our stay, that was the experience with the hotel staff. Everyone was polite and helpful.
Lastly, this hotel has a great location. It is just a few minutes outside of downtown Charleston, so it's out of the way but it not a huge commute. It is also right down the road from the Tanger outlet mall, so there are some good stores and good restaurants very close by. Plus, it is very close to the airport, so it convenient if you're flying in.
All in all, this was a good hotel stay. There are some outdated things about the hotel, but they are working on fixing them and updating them and the staff are great. I would stay here again and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
TheHotelGM, General Manager at Charleston Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 6 days ago
I was pleased to hear that we were able to accommodate you and your fiance at the Charleston Plaza Hotel. Thank you for taking advantage of our Hotel Restaurant and I am happy to hear that you liked our indoor heated pool. With our convenient location to the airport and quick ride to the downtown Charleston, we make a great choice of accommodations in the North Charleston area.

As you mentioned,we are undergoing renovations and I would love to be able to welcome you back soon and experience first hand our refreshed and renewed facilities.

Thank you so much to recommend us to the future travelers and for all the kind words. Hurry back soon!

Charleston Plaza Hotel

Been to Charleston Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!