“Most disgusting hotel I've ever stayed in” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Charleston Plaza Hotel

You added Charleston Plaza Hotel to your Saves list
Charleston Plaza Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4770 Goer Dr., North Charleston, SC 29406 (Formerly InnPlace Charleston Airport Hotel)   |
Ranked #39 of 58 Hotels in North Charleston
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Most disgusting hotel I've ever stayed in”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I stayed here for business and it was the most disgusting hotel I've ever stayed in. Pubic hairs in the shower, old crusty stained washcloth hanging over the shower rod, dust on every surface, mysterious white liquid stains everywhere, no towels provided in room, stained, sticky carpet and scuffed, dirty walls. It honestly felt like I needed to be decontaminated when I checked out. I also was unable to reach the front desk due to the phone being constantly busy. My experience was terrible and all I received from management when I complained was an "I'm sorry your experience was less than stellar." TERRIBLE!!!! THE MOTEL 6 WOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER!!!

• Stayed February 2015
TheHotelGM, General Manager at Charleston Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Dear Kayla,

Thank you for selecting the Charleston Plaza Hotel for your recent accommodations. I am so terribly sorry that we failed to provide the level of service that our team is trained to deliver. We have addressed your housekeeping concerns with our Executive Housekeeper. She offers her sincere apologies and has communicated her disappointment with her team. We are happy to inform you that we are in the process of scheduling a full hotel renovation to begin in the very near future. We understand that our hotel is not the most up to date. I do hope that the full refund of your night stay will help to see us in a better light. Once our hotel has completed a full refresh, I hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with excellent accommodations and service.

Thanks again,
Charleston Plaza Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Hustle, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We were attending the wedding of our niece. Had high hopes of having a room that was equipped with at least a refrigerator, this was not the case. Pet friendly; stains on carpet (possibly urine), pet hair on ottoman, unable to connect to wi-fi called was informed at 3:30 pm on Friday, February 13, 2015 that it was being worked on, never was able to connect in room on 5th floor. We had just enough Kleenex to blow our nose once then box was empty, 1/4 roll of toilet paper. This is what caused the low rating.
Nice friendly staff, breakfast was absolutely AWESOME. Overall appearance of hotel was great. Nice location, not surrounded by other hotels/motels easy enough access due to lack of traffic. Close enough to Old Town Charleston.
L_F2

• Stayed February 2015, traveled with family
TheHotelGM, General Manager at Charleston Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear little_feather2,

Thank you for your review regarding your stay with us recently. I was very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your restaurant experience and thank you for acknowledging our friendly staff. I will be sure to share your comments with the team. I am terribly sorry that we fell short in housekeeping. We strive to provide a clean comfortable room for all of our guests. I will pass on your findings to the housekeeping manager so they can be addressed. I do hope you will consider The Charleston Plaza Hotel if your travels bring you back to North Charleston as I would like you to experience the hotel amenities and our team at our best. We hope to welcome you back soon.

South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We stayed here the night before and after late flights. They have a fly and park package that is extremely reasonable and included shuttle to and from CHS airport. The staff was professional, helpful; the rooms were clean and well appointed. I was glad to see security on all night. The only thing I could suggest to improve would be a "brown bag breakfast" to go (muffin, juice and fruit)
for those early morning travelers.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
TheHotelGM, General Manager at Charleston Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
We are so glad we were able to accommodate you at our hotel and to hear that you were thoroughly pleased with your stay. I am pleased to note that you were satisfied with your room and that our hospitality was commendable. Thanks for pointing out to others the convenience of our shuttle service. Once again, I appreciate your gracious remarks and hope to have the opportunity to serve you again soon.

Old Fort, North Carolina, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I stayed here and at the Embassy Suites downtown last spring. As a mom with a small child that likes to swim no matter what the weather, I am always looking for a good indoor pool! Unfortunately this isn't easy to find in the Charleston area, trust me. We stayed at the Embassy Suites downtown for three nights and while it was nice, our one night at the Plaza was the highlight of my little ones trip simply because the indoor/outdoor pool area was soooo nice! We had a great time at the pool, slept better because the beds were a little softer, and were still just minutes from downtown. I like the hotel being off to itself, no traffic to fight! May be staying here again next month!

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Good Day Tammy S,

We can't thank you enough for such a glowing review of the Charleston Plaza! Nothing beats enjoying the Charleston sun like rejuvenating by our indoor pool and I'm extremely delighted to know that you and your child were able to take advantage of that. I am happy that our quiet environment was comfortable for your needs and all these left you with such wonderful memories of our hotel. Thank you for staying with us and we will be waiting to welcome you on your next visit to Charleston!

Charlotte, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I stayed at this hotel at the end of January and wanted to comment about a situation that occurred. At approximately 3 am an intoxicated individual tried getting into my room. I was dead asleep and finally woke up to him fumbling for a key.

I told this person it was not his room but he would not leave. He kept saying I was playing a joke on him. I was travelling alone and on the off chance he was trying to get my door open and pretending to be drunk I was not about to open the door and confront him.

I called the front desk and they immediately answered. I explained the situation and they came up immediately. And when I say immediately I mean they ran up 5 flights of stairs. I did not get the desk clerk's name but the security guard's name was Percy.

At this point the dude at the door realized I was serious that it was not his room and went to the adjacent door and of course that one worked.

As someone traveling by themselves I appreciated how the hotel took this matter seriously. I would definitely stay again next time I will borrow a very big German Shepherd to greet any intoxicated and unwanted guests!

• Stayed January 2015, traveled solo
Good Day Slakk,

Thank you for choosing the Charleston Plaza Hotel for your stay. It was a pleasure reading your comments praising the staff for the service they provided. We value your comments and experiences, and I will make sure to pass your compliments on to our management team and associates, especially to my front desk associate and Percy which will be encouraging to them. I am especially delighted to hear that they went that extra mile with our "Charleston Hospitality”. Traveling away from home presents its own unique challenges and it is our goal to meet any request that is made of us. My team work very hard to make every guests stay wonderful and we will be awaiting your future trip to North Charleston.

Whitby, Ontario
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This hotel is at the north end of the city and far from the downtown area that you want to see. The rooms are on the small side. Not unclean, but nothing fancy.
Being isolated in North Charleston, there are no restaurants you can reach on foot. If you don't have a vehicle, you have to depend on the lounge for food and it doesn't open until 4:30 in the afternoon. The menu is extremely limited in choices.
A nice area off the main lobby for computers with free wi-fi. This hotel is mainly for conferences and has large rooms available for such events.
If you are not coming here for a specific conference, stay closer to Charleston.

Room Tip: Ask for one at the back - away from the interstate
Green Features: There was a recycling bin in the room. They do participate in the linen re-use program.
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled with friends
TheHotelGM, General Manager at Charleston Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Dear Carol M,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with a feedback in regards to your recent stay. It’s great of you to recognize our clean rooms and nice lobby. However, I am sorry you were not made aware that we not only provide free transportation to and from the airport, but also within a 3 mile radius to several delightful area restaurants and the Tanger Outlet Mall for guests looking for additional options when our restaurant is closed. We also, can provide many restaurant options for local delivery. I am very happy to share that we will be starting a full refresh of the hotel in the very near future and will also be expanding our culinary options here on site. We hope that your will give us the opportunity to redeem ourselves and provide excellent services and accommodations for your next visit.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2015

I went here with my husband and we took our small dog with us. To start, I just want to say that the customer service is absolutely horrendous. The employees looked extremely unprofessional, did not smile at all, and they were not friendly. They looked like they were tending to the property rather than working for guest services. The lobby is very deceiving and does not portray how your room will look. The doors to the rooms are dirty, the handles are disgusting. The carpet was dirty and please do not get me started with the bathroom. My husband turned on the sink and BROWN WATER came out for about a good 3 mins. BROWN WATER! The shower had a vent that was filled with dirt and grime. The tile grout had pink mold! It was so disgusting that my husband and I went to target and bought gallons of water to wash our hands and brush our teeth with. The bathroom was so disgusting i didnt even let my dog in there nor did i ever go in there barefoot. The walls are PAPER THIN. I heard our Russian neighbors chatting it up all night my first night. On top of all of that, our thermostat did not work at all. I couldnt sleep, i was just so happy to get out of there and spend the whole day out in the city. I would have left the hotel if it werent for it being pet friendly. I will never stay here again and i will suggest that if you had a choice between here and a Motel 6, pick the Motel 6. Dont ever stay here, this is your warning.

Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
TheHotelGM, General Manager at Charleston Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, January 20, 2015
Dear Kathleen N,

Thank you for choosing the Charleston Plaza Hotel for your recent accommodation needs. I read your comments thoroughly and would like to offer our sincere apologies for the inconveniences during your stay. I was very disappointed to hear that my staff was not attentive to your needs and did not provide the level of service and hospitality that we take pride in delivering. I have shared your concerns and comments with our leadership team and advised them to review our current training processes and revise as needed. I am happy to state that we are in the final stages of the approval process to start our refurbishment. Once everything is approved, we will be renovating all our sleeping rooms, public areas and meeting rooms. In the meantime, we have started changing the carpeting wherever we can for immediate impact as well as public space HVAC and painting guest rooms and corridors. We have also made recent upgrades to plumbing that have caused the water to run discolored for a short time. We diligently ran the water in the rooms to clear them and I am terribly disappointed that your room was missed. I would love for you to have the opportunity of experiencing the finished product first hand. Please let my office know if you would need reservations in the future and I would be happy to see to these arrangements personally.

Victoria Facemire

Been to Charleston Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!