“Absolutely Disgusting” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Charleston Plaza Hotel

You added Charleston Plaza Hotel to your Saves list
Charleston Plaza Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4770 Goer Dr., North Charleston, SC 29406 (Formerly InnPlace Charleston Airport Hotel)   |
Ranked #38 of 58 Hotels in North Charleston
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Absolutely Disgusting”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I went here with my husband and we took our small dog with us. To start, I just want to say that the customer service is absolutely horrendous. The employees looked extremely unprofessional, did not smile at all, and they were not friendly. They looked like they were tending to the property rather than working for guest services. The lobby is very deceiving and does not portray how your room will look. The doors to the rooms are dirty, the handles are disgusting. The carpet was dirty and please do not get me started with the bathroom. My husband turned on the sink and BROWN WATER came out for about a good 3 mins. BROWN WATER! The shower had a vent that was filled with dirt and grime. The tile grout had pink mold! It was so disgusting that my husband and I went to target and bought gallons of water to wash our hands and brush our teeth with. The bathroom was so disgusting i didnt even let my dog in there nor did i ever go in there barefoot. The walls are PAPER THIN. I heard our Russian neighbors chatting it up all night my first night. On top of all of that, our thermostat did not work at all. I couldnt sleep, i was just so happy to get out of there and spend the whole day out in the city. I would have left the hotel if it werent for it being pet friendly. I will never stay here again and i will suggest that if you had a choice between here and a Motel 6, pick the Motel 6. Dont ever stay here, this is your warning.

Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
TheHotelGM, General Manager at Charleston Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Kathleen N,

Thank you for choosing the Charleston Plaza Hotel for your recent accommodation needs. I read your comments thoroughly and would like to offer our sincere apologies for the inconveniences during your stay. I was very disappointed to hear that my staff was not attentive to your needs and did not provide the level of service and hospitality that we take pride in delivering. I have shared your concerns and comments with our leadership team and advised them to review our current training processes and revise as needed. I am happy to state that we are in the final stages of the approval process to start our refurbishment. Once everything is approved, we will be renovating all our sleeping rooms, public areas and meeting rooms. In the meantime, we have started changing the carpeting wherever we can for immediate impact as well as public space HVAC and painting guest rooms and corridors. We have also made recent upgrades to plumbing that have caused the water to run discolored for a short time. We diligently ran the water in the rooms to clear them and I am terribly disappointed that your room was missed. I would love for you to have the opportunity of experiencing the finished product first hand. Please let my office know if you would need reservations in the future and I would be happy to see to these arrangements personally.

Victoria Facemire

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I stayed on a business trip at this hotel, it has a very bland ambiance. The staff is friendly, I want to thank Anthony from banquets he was a great help to our conference.The hotel is out a 15 minute drive to downtown Charleston which is a beautiful historic city. The rooms are your standard hotel room, nice and clean. I was told Marriott bought this property and they will be renovating it so maybe it will be nicer in the future. Also take advantage of the free airport shuttle. Normally these hotels have free breakfast but this one didn't which was disappointing. I was also upgraded to the 7th floor which was the business level and I'm not sure what the purpose of it is because there was nothing extra in the room, no lounge and my view was a bunch of warehouses.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled on business
Good Day sebastian y,

I am glad to hear that your business trip to Charleston was enjoyable and my associates were courteous and met your expectations. We're happy to read you liked our historic city, clean rooms and were able to take advantage of the complimentary shuttle. We're delighted to hear that you received excellent help from Anthony during the conference and he will be so pleased to hear your comments. However, I'm sorry to hear you were disappointed with the view from your guest room and about not serving complimentary breakfast. Since we are a full service hotel with a restaurant we do not serve complimentary breakfast. We do hope you will reconsider us and will be back for another stay.

Regards,
Chico, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The rooms were roomy and nice. Overall the hotel was a nice place to stay and near the airport. However, if you don't have a car (we didn't) it isn't convenient to historic downtown Charleston. We were attending a conference being held at this venue. I did have a problem obtaining room service; they never answered the phone. I learned to call to the front desk with my order and they took it to the kitchen and it was delivered in good time. One time I went down 5 minutes before the stated closing time for breakfast and found that they had entirely cleared all the food from the buffet and obviously had been shutting down the place for the past 15 minutes or so. I was S.O.L. until dinner since there was no lunch service and I didn't have a car. Overall, it was a good place, but I'd rather be closer to downtown next time.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Dear nannygoat778,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of the Charleston Plaza and am glad to hear that your overall stay was good and you liked our location. However, I do apologize that your breakfast experience with us was not exceptional. I am very sorry that it was not communicated that although, the buffet may be taken down near the end of the day’s breakfast service, our guests may continue to order from the À la carte menu. In addition, we also provide transportation to several area restaurants and the Tanger Outlet Mall for guests looking for additional options when our restaurant is closed. We also, can provide many restaurant options for local delivery. We sincerely hope you will consider a return visit so that we can give you the fabulous experience that Charleston Plaza is known for.

Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This place is a little past it's best years. It still has a grand lobby, although a TV was playing quite loudly and interfered with my attempts to resolve a reservation problem. The restaurant was a disappointment. The hotel was reasonable at the on-line price I found.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
TheHotelGM, General Manager at Charleston Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Good Day Ken A,

That was so nice of you to choose the Charleston Plaza for your recent accommodation needs. I'm glad you felt we're fairly priced and our lobby to be dignified. However, I'm sorry to hear that the boisterous noise from the television disturbed your conversation and you were not satisfied with our restaurant food. As you stated, we know the condition of our hotel and I'm pleased to report that our facility will be going through a full renovation and we will have the most up to date rooms and public space in the near future. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to the opportunity of having you experience a wonderful newly renovated facility with exceptional service.

Harrow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2014

This is a funny old place, and I think it unfortunately perhaps demonstrates the pitfalls of staying in a mid-tier independently owned hotel, which tries hard to be great, but probably falls down simply because there a) isn't the financial investment to keep the place well maintained and b) there isn't the quality of training you get in a major chain such as Radisson to ensure that staff all work to the same high standards. I think this establishment has aspirations to be a proper 4* hotel but looks like a half-decent hotel that has fallen on hard times during the recession!

I stayed in Room 515 which is what redeemed my experience. Contrary to other guests' experiences, this room was actually clean and reasonably furnished and had all the facilities I required, so I would give this an average rating and hence the 3/5 rating overall. The price I paid for my 1 night stay was also relatively ok at around $85 for the night. View was uninspiring.

My main gripes with this hotel were:-
No free breakfast included, in spite of this being free in a lot of budget class hotels
The indoor pool (which I did go for a swim in) was a supposedly nice facility according to the typically glamorous hotel brochure. However, the reality of this pool area is that it was awful and on the edge of needing to be shut down for a complete refurbishment.
The maintenance of the area was poor, there were store rooms that children could have opened that were full of rubbish and debris, I could find no changing rooms, so had to change out of my wet swimming shorts in the middle of the pool area, I was only fortunate there was only 1 other person swimming in there at the time! And as there were no changing rooms, there were also no showers - all in all, an unhygienic and unsavoury swimming experience!

The location is good for the airport and onward journeys on the highways, but this is a hotel that is not best placed for the centre of beautiful Charleston, and has fallen from grace and is therefore a whisker off a 2/5 rating.

There needs to be a decent investment and a lot of staff training here otherwise they will lose any good reputation they have left and be left with a very big hotel with a lot of empty rooms! It's never good when I can state the highlight of my stay was nothing to do with the hotel itself but rather seeing a college football team being very loud & boisterous in the hotel lobby!

Room Tip: I would go for a room on a higher floor
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled solo
TheHotelGM, General Manager at Charleston Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Charleston Plaza Hotel. We were truly disappointed to read that we failed to provide you with an exceptional stay during your recent visit. We’re sorry you were disheartened with the performance of our staff, as well as, the cleanliness and maintenance near the pool. We are very passionate about providing our guests with the cleanest facilities and we will look into where we failed in providing this to you. We will make changes where needed so that this type of issue does not happen again to any of our guests. On the brighter side, I am glad that you loved your clean and comfortably furnished room and our closeness to the airport.

I agree with you regarding our hotel needing upgrades and I am pleased to say that we have begun our renovations and I would love to be able to welcome you back soon and experience first hand our refreshed and renewed facilities.

Your feedback is important and will be shared with our management team to ensure the necessary improvements are made. We sincerely hope you will consider a return visit so that we can give you the great experience that Charleston Plaza is known for.

Abbotsford, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2014

Checked in and went up to my room. The hallways were old and dirty with torn carpet etc. opened the door to my room and was shocked to find bathroom counters with makeup on them (not even wiped by housekeeping) nightstands with coffee mug rings (not even wiped by housekeeping), trash in the waste basket, personal items and BIG dust bunnies around base of bed. Front desk was good and moved me to a new room but even that one was "well worn" in my opinion. There is nothing within a short walking distance to this hotel for restaurants etc.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
TheHotelGM, General Manager at Charleston Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, December 14, 2014
Dear AMXdreamer,

Many thanks to you for choosing the Charleston Plaza for your recent stay and I'm glad that you found our Front Desk staff to be friendly and helpful. It was a pleasure having you stay with us and we appreciate you letting us know our housekeeping service opportunities. Please accept our sincere apologies for having cleanliness issues with your room. Your comments will absolutely be brought to the appropriate departments so this will not be an issue in the future.

You have a very valid point in regards to our hotel needing upgrades and I am pleased to say that we are finalizing our renovation and refresh plans for next year. The Charleston Plaza team is thrilled to have a beautiful, fresh, modernized hotel in our near future and hope that you will give us another opportunity to provide your accommodations in our new renovated facility if your travel plans bring you back to Charleston.

Atlanta
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2014

My stay at this hotel was terrible!!! When I arrived there was no one at the desk to greet me. The staff looked terrible; very unkempt. I was given the wrong room, a downgrade from what I paid for, and had to be moved. The second room was filthy!!! The walls were badly scuffed, the furniture was dirty and dated (literally stains), there were spider webs with bugs in the corners along the walls, the carpet was filthy and stained, the closet doors were off track, the towels in the bathroom were very hard, only two toiletries were provided, the grip bar in the tub was broken and hanging, the security latch on the door was broken (compromising my safety) and the vanity lighting above the sink was rusted. The room service policy was insane! There was a $3.00 delivery charge PLUS 22% gratuity added!!

The manager was very nice and helpful however. She did move me to a different room on the club level (third room now), which was more of a hassle then anything because you have to insert your key card to use the elevator every time. This was a hassle to have to dig for it in my purse just to go upstairs (the buttons on the elevator would have to be pressed multiple times for it to register) . And the club level was NO DIFFERENT from the other levels. Everything was exactly the same, dated, just a little cleaner. The third room had no mirrored doors or doors period on the closet.

All of the rooms had no bags in the trash cans, the buttons on the phones didn't work well and some not at all, when I clicked the room service button I was transferred three times before getting to the restaurant. The manager offered to give me $12 off my breakfast order, NOT comp the cheap lousy meal... The orange juice is not fresh squeezed.

Last but not least the gym was closed for my entire stay. Due to maintenance...

WHAT MAINTENANCE??????? YOU HAVE NO MAINTENANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
TheHotelGM, General Manager at Charleston Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, December 15, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Charleston Plaza Hotel for your recent accommodation needs. I appreciate your candid feedback and please accept our apologies that we did not live up to your expectations. I have taken notes and have shared your concerns with my management team, many of which have already been addressed. The fitness center damage from a previous leak has been repaired and back to fully operational. The first two rooms you were assigned have gone through an extensive maintenance program. I also see that our room service server waived the $3.00 delivery charge. The room service delivery charge and auto gratuity are standard and very competitive in our industry. We are also pleased to report that our facility will be going through a full renovation and we will have the most up to date rooms and public space in the near future. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to the opportunity of having you experience a wonderful newly renovated facility with exceptional service.

Charleston Plaza Hotel

Been to Charleston Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!