“Mixed opinions” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Charleston Plaza Hotel

You added Charleston Plaza Hotel to your Saves list
Charleston Plaza Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4770 Goer Dr., North Charleston, SC 29406 (Formerly InnPlace Charleston Airport Hotel)   |
Ranked #38 of 58 Hotels in North Charleston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Harrow, United Kingdom
“Mixed opinions”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

This is a funny old place, and I think it unfortunately perhaps demonstrates the pitfalls of staying in a mid-tier independently owned hotel, which tries hard to be great, but probably falls down simply because there a) isn't the financial investment to keep the place well maintained and b) there isn't the quality of training you get in a major chain such as Radisson to ensure that staff all work to the same high standards. I think this establishment has aspirations to be a proper 4* hotel but looks like a half-decent hotel that has fallen on hard times during the recession!

I stayed in Room 515 which is what redeemed my experience. Contrary to other guests' experiences, this room was actually clean and reasonably furnished and had all the facilities I required, so I would give this an average rating and hence the 3/5 rating overall. The price I paid for my 1 night stay was also relatively ok at around $85 for the night. View was uninspiring.

My main gripes with this hotel were:-
No free breakfast included, in spite of this being free in a lot of budget class hotels
The indoor pool (which I did go for a swim in) was a supposedly nice facility according to the typically glamorous hotel brochure. However, the reality of this pool area is that it was awful and on the edge of needing to be shut down for a complete refurbishment.
The maintenance of the area was poor, there were store rooms that children could have opened that were full of rubbish and debris, I could find no changing rooms, so had to change out of my wet swimming shorts in the middle of the pool area, I was only fortunate there was only 1 other person swimming in there at the time! And as there were no changing rooms, there were also no showers - all in all, an unhygienic and unsavoury swimming experience!

The location is good for the airport and onward journeys on the highways, but this is a hotel that is not best placed for the centre of beautiful Charleston, and has fallen from grace and is therefore a whisker off a 2/5 rating.

There needs to be a decent investment and a lot of staff training here otherwise they will lose any good reputation they have left and be left with a very big hotel with a lot of empty rooms! It's never good when I can state the highlight of my stay was nothing to do with the hotel itself but rather seeing a college football team being very loud & boisterous in the hotel lobby!

Room Tip: I would go for a room on a higher floor
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Abbotsford, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Checked in and went up to my room. The hallways were old and dirty with torn carpet etc. opened the door to my room and was shocked to find bathroom counters with makeup on them (not even wiped by housekeeping) nightstands with coffee mug rings (not even wiped by housekeeping), trash in the waste basket, personal items and BIG dust bunnies around base of bed. Front desk was good and moved me to a new room but even that one was "well worn" in my opinion. There is nothing within a short walking distance to this hotel for restaurants etc.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
TheHotelGM, General Manager at Charleston Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear AMXdreamer,

Many thanks to you for choosing the Charleston Plaza for your recent stay and I'm glad that you found our Front Desk staff to be friendly and helpful. It was a pleasure having you stay with us and we appreciate you letting us know our housekeeping service opportunities. Please accept our sincere apologies for having cleanliness issues with your room. Your comments will absolutely be brought to the appropriate departments so this will not be an issue in the future.

You have a very valid point in regards to our hotel needing upgrades and I am pleased to say that we are finalizing our renovation and refresh plans for next year. The Charleston Plaza team is thrilled to have a beautiful, fresh, modernized hotel in our near future and hope that you will give us another opportunity to provide your accommodations in our new renovated facility if your travel plans bring you back to Charleston.

Atlanta
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My stay at this hotel was terrible!!! When I arrived there was no one at the desk to greet me. The staff looked terrible; very unkempt. I was given the wrong room, a downgrade from what I paid for, and had to be moved. The second room was filthy!!! The walls were badly scuffed, the furniture was dirty and dated (literally stains), there were spider webs with bugs in the corners along the walls, the carpet was filthy and stained, the closet doors were off track, the towels in the bathroom were very hard, only two toiletries were provided, the grip bar in the tub was broken and hanging, the security latch on the door was broken (compromising my safety) and the vanity lighting above the sink was rusted. The room service policy was insane! There was a $3.00 delivery charge PLUS 22% gratuity added!!

The manager was very nice and helpful however. She did move me to a different room on the club level (third room now), which was more of a hassle then anything because you have to insert your key card to use the elevator every time. This was a hassle to have to dig for it in my purse just to go upstairs (the buttons on the elevator would have to be pressed multiple times for it to register) . And the club level was NO DIFFERENT from the other levels. Everything was exactly the same, dated, just a little cleaner. The third room had no mirrored doors or doors period on the closet.

All of the rooms had no bags in the trash cans, the buttons on the phones didn't work well and some not at all, when I clicked the room service button I was transferred three times before getting to the restaurant. The manager offered to give me $12 off my breakfast order, NOT comp the cheap lousy meal... The orange juice is not fresh squeezed.

Last but not least the gym was closed for my entire stay. Due to maintenance...

WHAT MAINTENANCE??????? YOU HAVE NO MAINTENANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Charleston Plaza Hotel for your recent accommodation needs. I appreciate your candid feedback and please accept our apologies that we did not live up to your expectations. I have taken notes and have shared your concerns with my management team, many of which have already been addressed. The fitness center damage from a previous leak has been repaired and back to fully operational. The first two rooms you were assigned have gone through an extensive maintenance program. I also see that our room service server waived the $3.00 delivery charge. The room service delivery charge and auto gratuity are standard and very competitive in our industry. We are also pleased to report that our facility will be going through a full renovation and we will have the most up to date rooms and public space in the near future. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to the opportunity of having you experience a wonderful newly renovated facility with exceptional service.

South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My husband and I stayed at this hotel in October2014, which was less than 5 miles from the airport. The staff there was very pleasant and the check-in process was seamless. We arrived at the hotel and were checked in our room within 5 minutes. The room was very clean and well stocked. At the time, the hotel was in the process of painting the hallways, but it did not interfere with our stay. The king size bed and pillows were comfortable. Unfortunately, this hotel does NOT have continental breakfast, but had an onsite restaurant (which we didn't go to). The shuttle service to and from the airport was great and saved us on parking and taxi service. I would definitely stay at this facility again.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
TheHotelGM, General Manager at Charleston Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Good Day jensing,

Thank you very much for posting your fantastic review on Trip Advisor. I am truly pleased that you had a positive experience at the Charleston Plaza during your recent stay. It was wonderful to note your happiness with the sequential check in, friendly staff, warm welcome and immaculate rooms. I am also happy to hear that our shuttle service proved to be very convenient and cost saving.

It was very kind of you to say that the ongoing painting process did not cause any inconvenience. We appreciate your patronage, and I hope we have the opportunity to meet or exceed your expectations during your next stay at the Charleston Plaza. We will be waiting for your return.

Bel air
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2014 via mobile

If you are looking for convenience, updated and clean rooms, friendly staff and organization....look elsewhere. You will not find it here. This hotel is located near the airport, not within walking distance of anything. If you don't have a car, you are stuck.
The hotel says they offer shuttle service, but there are all kinds of conditions depending on where you want to go. It only runs downtown at 10 am, 2 pm, 6 pm and 9 pm. You have to book the shuttle and even when you do, there is no guarantee that you will leave on time or be picked up on time. We were left standing on a street corner downtown for over 45 minutes waiting to be picked up to come back to the hotel.
They have two shuttle vans, but only one driver. There is a supervisor
who is supposed to fill in when needed, but I personally heard her tell the one shuttle driver that she did not want to go pick up people from the airport....and she didn't go.

The rooms are shabby, worn carpet, torn wallpaper, mold on the tile in the bathroom, old worn out furniture. We had to call the front desk just about every day to request something that was not left by housekeeping....coffee, wash cloths, toilet paper, shampoo, etc.
and I had to fix the lock on our door, so you might want to bring a screwdriver.

The restaurant is only open for breakfast and dinner...no lunch. The food is pricey and just okay. The restaurant manager is a bully. He would walk up when our waitress was taking our order and make some comment about what she was doing, downgrading his staff in front of the customers. She was a fantastic waitress and in my opinion did not deserve to be treated like that.

The staff at the front desk seems to have gotten up on the wrong side of the bed. There is obviously no communication between management and the staff. If you ask a question from two different people you get two different answers.

I will never stay at this hotel again.

Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
TheHotelGM, General Manager at Charleston Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2014
Thank you Betty S for your recent stay and taking the time to share your observations from your visit. Please accept our sincere apologies for falling short of your expectations. I was very disappointed to hear that my staff was not attentive to your needs and did not provide the level of service and hospitality they have been trained to deliver. I have taken all of your concerns to the team and we are taking corrective actions to ensure we do not allow them to repeat.

We are an airport hotel and make several runs to the airport an hour so we are limited to the areas we can travel. In addition to the scheduled downtown shuttle runs we provide transportation to the Tanger Outlets that offer a wonderful shopping experience and several restaurants that are on our way to the airport. We also provide transportation to the lovely Park Circle Area that has been revitalized in Old North Charleston. It has amazing charm and wonderful dining options.

Currently, we are not the most up to date hotel and we are in the process of finalizing all the plans to start a full renovation which will include sleeping rooms, public areas and meeting rooms. Once it is complete, we will have a lovely hotel to be proud of and hope you might give us the opportunity to host you again.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2014

Tried to check-in at this hotel (which I had prepaid) but was told that they had oversold. They arranged for us to stay across the highway at the Charleston Plaza hotel, apparently their sister property, which is a dive (stains on the carpets, outdated rooms, dubious washroom) - why I mention the quality of the other hotel in this review is because aside from an apology, nothing was done to rectify this situation. Bottom line - we paid for the Crowne Plaza and had to change our plans and check into a hotel which was a grade below what we had purchased. The least that the Crowne Plaza could have done was to give us a refund on our night.

Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
TheHotelGM, General Manager at Charleston Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, November 19, 2014
Thank you Julia L for taking the time to give us feedback from your recent stay. We value your comments and utilize these as training tools for our improvement. We are thankful we had the opportunity to provide your accommodations when the Crowne Plaza was unable to meet your needs. I am terribly sorry we did not meet your expectations in regards to the current physical condition of our property. We are very excited to be in the process of finalizing a full renovation of our hotel and hope that you will give us another chance if your travel plans bring you back to the Charleston area.

Oneida, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2014

When you walk in, the hotel is very inviting. You can tell they have done remodeling. Room was very spacious and very clean. Small bathroom. They have a fabulous shuttle van and driver (Percy) that will pick you up from airport and drive you to other local restaurants and stores. The hotel is nice, it's just that if you look close, it needs some deep cleaning. The floors are stained and the chair with ottoman in our room could use some cleaning/vacuuming. There was a lot of hair on it. But I would stay here again. It's close to the airport and outlet malls - not close to historic downtown.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
HotelMngerGM, General Manager at Charleston Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, October 26, 2014
Good day apr68,

Thank you for your recent stay at the Charleston Plaza Hotel and sharing your comments online. It was pleasing to read that you were satisfied with your accommodation, clean rooms and facilities. I am also happy to know that you liked our shuttle service and I will pass on your comments to Percy. Please accept my and our housekeeping staff's sincere apologies for having cleanliness issues with your room during your stay. We are very passionate about providing our guests with the most clean facilities and we will look into where we failed in providing this to you. We will make changes where needed so that this type of issue does not happen again to any of our guests. Thank you for your candid feedback as it will only help us to improve and become better. Thank you again for taking the time to share your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Charleston Plaza Hotel

Been to Charleston Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!