“Decent Place” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Charleston Plaza Hotel

Save Saved
You added Charleston Plaza Hotel to your Saves list
Charleston Plaza Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4770 Goer Dr., North Charleston, SC 29406 (Formerly InnPlace Charleston Airport Hotel)   |
Ranked #39 of 58 Hotels in North Charleston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Oneida, New York
“Decent Place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

When you walk in, the hotel is very inviting. You can tell they have done remodeling. Room was very spacious and very clean. Small bathroom. They have a fabulous shuttle van and driver (Percy) that will pick you up from airport and drive you to other local restaurants and stores. The hotel is nice, it's just that if you look close, it needs some deep cleaning. The floors are stained and the chair with ottoman in our room could use some cleaning/vacuuming. There was a lot of hair on it. But I would stay here again. It's close to the airport and outlet malls - not close to historic downtown.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
HotelMngerGM, General Manager at Charleston Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Good day apr68,

Thank you for your recent stay at the Charleston Plaza Hotel and sharing your comments online. It was pleasing to read that you were satisfied with your accommodation, clean rooms and facilities. I am also happy to know that you liked our shuttle service and I will pass on your comments to Percy. Please accept my and our housekeeping staff's sincere apologies for having cleanliness issues with your room during your stay. We are very passionate about providing our guests with the most clean facilities and we will look into where we failed in providing this to you. We will make changes where needed so that this type of issue does not happen again to any of our guests. Thank you for your candid feedback as it will only help us to improve and become better. Thank you again for taking the time to share your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Charleston Plaza Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Calabasas, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

After reading reviews of this property I was somewhat skeptical when our Navy ship's reunion group decided to book our four day stay there. We did not personally encounter any of the various problems mentioned in reviews we have read. The room we received was older, but clean, and had a reasonably sized bathroom. We were high enough in the building that outside noise was not a problem. We had requested "Late Arrival" since we knew we would not get to the hotel before 10 PM, and everything worked properly. They were expecting us and had a room ready. The included breakfast was by ticket, and again, seemed to work properly. The lobby and public areas seem to have been updated, and are quite presentable. It is true that the hotel seems to cater to group business (There were at least three other groups meeting there while we were at the hotel.) All in all, the hotel met our needs, and at a reasonable price.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
HotelMngerGM, General Manager at Charleston Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Good Day OTCarter1,

Thank you for choosing the Charleston Plaza Hotel for the recent Navy reunion and I am delighted to hear that your group's needs were met and all the attendees were taken care of. It is always pleasing for a General Manager to read that a guest was very satisfied with their accommodations, clean rooms, facilities and everything we have to offer. Our Housekeeping staff strive to do an excellent job in keeping our facilities clean and fresh daily. I will share your comments with them and thank them for their continued great service.

I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you and your group again and thank you again for sharing your comments online for others to read that might be considering our facilities for their group's needs.

Cape Coral, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My husband and I stayed for three days and were extremely disappointed. We booked on priceline and was 100% NOT a 3 star hotel. The only nice part, was the lobby, and even that had a leak in the ceiling. Our first room had chips out of the wall, patch marks left over that needed to be painted, a broken mirror, marks from where suitcases hit over and over and the worst part, there were things smeared on the wall that were really disgusting. The bathroom was filthy and the sheets were dirty. I complained to the front desk and the manager said that there were no available clean rooms to move us into and that she needed to see the room, to see what we were talking about. She came up, with the head of house keeping - who told me that the room would need to be repainted and that she couldn't do anything about the walls. I told the manager that this was not acceptable and it wasn't what we were used to staying in a 3 star hotel. They then magically found a room for us, right down the hall. WHICH was better, they did upgrade us to a suite, but it was still subpar. There was a 2 inch gap at the bottom of the door, you could literally fit your foot under. The furniture had disgusting crusty stains on it, so we avoided that at all costs. When we checked out, we were not asked how our stay was. They really did try to make it right, but really, what it boils down to, is that it is a really old hotel that is in dire need of upgrades. We will never go back.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you Brandy S. for sharing your candid feedback for our growth and improvement. We appreciate you staying with us at the Charleston Plaza and want to offer our sincerely apologies for falling short in making your stay exceptional. Our staff takes pride in offering clean and comfortable rooms to our guests and on nights when we are at capacity it is often a challenge to find that perfect room. I am happy to hear that the staff offered and upgrade you to a suite, as there were no standard rooms available. You have a very valid point in regards to our hotel needing upgrades and I am pleased to say that we are finalizing our renovation and refresh plans for next year. We are currently upgrading all HVAC in the public and meeting spaces and I am excited to also report that the lobby roof has been replaced and the ceiling repaired. The Charleston Plaza team is thrilled to have a beautiful, fresh, modernized hotel in our near future and hope that you will give us another opportunity to provide your accommodations in our new renovated facility if your travel plans bring you back to Charleston.

Yukon, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

A shout out to our very personable Shuttle driver, Percy. He was excellent. Almost always
had a smile and was quick to help us out if we ever needed it. My wife had suffered a
broken ankle prior to our booking, so we needed it. We had other shuttle drivers, but Percy
was the main man.

Couple of problems with housekeeping (failed to clean up our room the second day and failed
to give us a 2nd working phone, but otherwise good service.

Someone charged a bar tab to our room, but it was taken off, after we pointed out we weren't even in town at the time of the charges.

Beautiful lobby. Would stay there again.

Good Day astrohorn,

Thank you for your recent stay at the Charleston Plaza Hotel. We truly appreciate you taking the time to write a review about your experience at our hotel. Percy has passion for great service and I will share your kind words with him and acknowledge his efforts during our staff meeting. Please accept my and our housekeeping staff's sincere apologies for having cleanliness issues with your room. We are very passionate about providing our guests with the most clean facilities and we will look into where we failed in providing this to you. We will make changes where needed so that this type of issue does not happen again to any of our guests. Thank you for your candid feedback as it will only help us to improve and become better. I will share your wonderful comments with my staff and thank them for their hard work they put in daily. I do hope you have a chance to return back and experience our newly renovated and up dated facilities soon.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The bathtub was covered in what I can only hope were beard clippings. Really gross. After that, I can't really care about anything else. The baseboard molding literally fell off the wall, too. At least the airport shuttle was prompt. Will never stay here again.

Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Good Day Smstreit,

Please accept my and our housekeeping staff's sincere apologies for having cleanliness issues with your room during your stay. We are very passionate about providing our guests with the cleanest facilities and we will look into where we failed in providing this to you. We will make changes where needed so that this type of issue does not happen again to any of our guests. Thank you for your candid feedback as it will only help us to improve and become better. We do hope you give us another chance and stay with us again when you return to the North Charleston area.

Rock Hill, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Stayed here because my birding club chose this hotel for its fall meeting location. After reading some of the reviews, I was more than skeptical when we booked. When we arrived at the hotel around 11:30am (we knew that check-in was not until 4pm, but we had club activities to attend before check-in time), we stopped by the front desk to confirm our reservation. To our surprise, they had no record of us ever making a reservation, but they were able to book us a room on the spot at the original group rate for the two nights. So crisis averted. Several hours later when we did actually check in, we discovered that the room they had given us had two smaller beds in it, and as a married couple we really would have preferred one king. So back downstairs we went, and without any issue they were able to move us down the hall to a king room. The staff at the front desk were friendly and helpful the whole time we were there.

Now to the hotel itself. It has definitely seen better days, but I think they have made a serious effort to update the facility so far. The lobby was pretty. The conference rooms were ample. The bar was small, but nicely decorated. The dining room (which we only visited for one hurried breakfast at like 6:30am) was okay, but the food itself was mediocre. Plus, there were hardly any items to choose from as most things had run out from the even earlier crowd before we got down there. We got coupons for the breakfast buffet as part of the group meeting, and I'm glad because the regular price for the breakfast seemed like too much for what it was.

Our room was half updated and half outdated. The bed was comfortable, updated (no gross bedspread), and clean. I have somewhat of a phobia, so I very thoroughly check all fabric surfaces in all hotels that we stay in. The refrigerator was nice to have in the room. There was also a microwave, but we did not use it. We were so exhausted both nights that I don't think we even turned on the television either, but it was a nice flat screen. The air conditioner honestly sounded like a babbling brook when it was on. Very loud. I suppose that would be a problem for most people, but I like to sleep with "white noise," so for me it was fine. The carpet was a bit worn, and the tile in the bathroom had seen better days. The bathroom itself was a bit outdated, but clean.

All in all, while this is not a place we would have ordinarily chosen to stay, we were pleasantly surprised by the cleanliness and friendly staff, and it was fine for a couple of nights for a convention.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent stay at the Charleston Plaza Hotel and sharing your comments with us which is very important. I am happy that our staff was able to meet all your group's needs and expectations. I will share your wonderful comments with my team. We are aware of the condition of our facilities and could not have agreed more. I do apologize for the inconvenience caused due to the air conditioning issues you encountered during your stay and have alerted my engineering team to service the unit immediately. I am happy to announce that we are in our final stages of our renovation arrangements and will be starting the project soon. I would love to be able to welcome you back soon and experience first hand our refreshed and renewed facilities. Thank you again for sharing your comments online for others to read that might be considering our facilities for their group's needs.

Charlotte, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I was the member of a large group staying in the hotel. My room was confirmed the day of my stay, so we went to dinner prior to checking in.
When we arrived, I was told the hotel did not have a room for me, but we could stay in the room of another member of our party who had cancelled - strike one. When we got to "our" room, it was occupied - strike two. I returned to the front desk and was then told they could not accommodate me that night since I was not on the list, yet I had a copy of the list, on which my name was included - strike three.
After a call to our group contact, a room was miraculously made available - at 10:30 PM.

The room was good, clean and comfortable and we had no further problems, but I would not book there again and risk not even getting in.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
Good Day naboodle,

First of all please accept my sincere apologies on behalf of the entire staff for the confusion and waiting you endured after a long day of travel. This does not represent the level of service that we provide our guests. We eagerly participate in your group accommodations as one of our partnering hotels could not provide all of the rooms required. We received a list of attendees that we were to accommodate and it apparently wasn’t complete and updated with the latest requirements for our hotel. This is not an excuse, but merely an explanation of how we did not have your room reserved when you arrived. After a few phone calls we were able to make the necessary changes and correct the list of attendees for our particular property. I hope that you will give as another opportunity to redeem ourselves and give our hotel another try. Please contact my office directly if your plans bring you back to the area. I would like to personally see to your reservations.

Warmest Regards
Victoria Facemire

Been to Charleston Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!