“Attentive Staff and Promising Renovations” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Charleston Plaza Hotel

Save Saved
You added Charleston Plaza Hotel to your Saves list
Charleston Plaza Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4770 Goer Dr., North Charleston, SC 29406 (Formerly InnPlace Charleston Airport Hotel)   |
Ranked #43 of 58 hotels in North Charleston
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
“Attentive Staff and Promising Renovations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I came to this hotel for a short visit to meet with family. We were all more interested in catching up with each other and seeing Charleston than a hotel, but this place ended up exceeding all expectations based on the price. The rooms were comfortable, particularly the beds, and the tv was large and crisp. As others have noted, the rooms could use a fresh coat of paint, but they were clean. This is by no means a bad hotel to stay at, as some of the reviews here had led me to believe. I will stay here again for future visits and look forward to coming back.

I'm giving this hotel an excellent rating because the staff was exceedingly professional and patient when my party ended up having to extend our stay due to an unexpected car repair. Everyone at that hotel, from the front desk to the waitstaff to the management, were so helpful and really wanted us to enjoy ourselves. Employees were even giving us recommendations for mechanics! This hotel has a great group of employees and it made all the difference when the vacation turned into a stressful car repair waiting game. Can't say enough about the Plaza.

Room Tip: The club level doesn't offer too much more than standard rooms at this point, although managemen...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
HotelMngerGM, General Manager at Charleston Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, yesterday
Thank you for choosing the Charleston Plaza Hotel for your most recent stay. It was a pleasure reading your comments praising the staff for the service they provided. They work very hard to make every guests stay wonderful and I will share your feedback with them which will be very encouraging for them to hear. Thank you again and please come back and stay with us at our new facilities on a future trip to North Charleston .

35 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Charlotte
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

We booked the hotel through Priceline.com- we named our price. I was a little concerned about the hotel when we were awarded the price.

We went to our room after checking in only to find a guy laying on the bed watching tv- awkward. We returned to the front desk and got "sorry".

The next room was empty (we made sure to lock the door to avoid visitors). Room is a little dated. It looks like they started renovations but didn't follow through...a flat screen tv and newer bathroom counter but the air conditioner is insanely loud, paint chipping from the bathroom ceiling and bathroom door and we have a popcorn ceiling.

We're paying $105/night for a 3.5 star hotel (Trip Advisor)/ 3.0 stars on Priceline but would have preferred to have stayed at a Hampton Inn.

• Stayed July 2014
HotelMngerGM, General Manager at Charleston Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you for your recent stay at the Charleston Plaza Hotel and sharing your comments with us. We are aware of the condition of our facilities and could not have agreed more. I am happy to announce that we are in our final stages of our renovation arrangements and will be starting the project soon. I would love to be able to welcome you back soon and experience first hand our refreshed and renewed facilities. Please let my office know of your future plans as I would love to welcome you back and showcase our new facility.

Charleston Plaza Hotell
spartanburg, sc
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

If you are expecting the looks of the lobby to flow through to the rooms, you will be very disappointed!this picture is our bathtub. I didn't take more pictures because I just needed to stop, go to bed and check out in the a.m. With so many choices in North charleston, you should not stay at this property!

Room Tip: Do not stay here
Temecula, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I booked this hotel before reading the reviews and was sure I had made a big mistake. Not so. It turned out to be a great place to stay. As we,entered the hotel they were putting the finishing touches on new carpet in the lobby hall and resturant. It is an older hotel but quite lovely. Before we entered our room I noticed the door needed painting so I held my breath. The room was beautiful, quite large and charming. The bed was comfortable and the linen and towels soft and fluffy. The room,was super clean and the staff wonderful. I did notice one slight stain on the carpet that did not come out with cleaning and a small place in the corner of the bathroom where the wallpaper had lifted a tiny bit but had to look for it -- and I was looking after reading all those bad reviews. The air conditioner was a little noisy but didn't bother us. The exercise room was large and well-equipped and the indoor and outdoor pool areas were beautiful. We had a wonderful breakfast in the resturant. I would gladly stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent stay and feedback which is very important to us. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to the opportunity of you returning to the Charleston Plaza Hotel and experiencing our newly updated and refreshed facilities.

Greenville, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My husband and I spent our 1st anniversary here this week. Here is the good and the bad.

Good: They did let us check in early because our room was ready. The staff was nice and friendly. The beds were comfortable. The room appeared to be clean. They have a shuttle service to drop you off Downtown Charleston....BUT no one told us until the 4th day of our trip and the only reason we found out was because we saw the Shuttle Driver outside and he had to give us a jump (we left our lights on). Nice guy-took the time to talk afterwards. The lobby is nice. They have free wi-fi.

Bad: The forth night of our stay we had an unwelcomed guest in our room--a roach! We packed everything up and took our stuff to the car because I definitely did not want any of the critters to take a ride with us home. We killed only one, but I have always heard that where there is one, there are MANY. No continental breakfast. The pictures on the website are outdated. They must have been taken when the place first opened. Everything is dated, and if you look closely enough...everything is duct taped. My husband and I made jokes about it every time we found duct tape. The latches on the door don't seem too secure...like another visitor said. We called for towels and 40 minutes later when no one appeared, my husband went to the front desk to get them--they sent him back empty-handed. At 50 minutes, I was getting ticked, because we had pre-paid for a carriage ride in downtown Charleston that we were going to be late for. I found a housekeeper in the hallway and she gave me some. When we were leaving, someone brought towels. Nice guy...but we were already out the door. I inspected the pillows on the first night and one (just one) of the pillows had a blood stain and what appeared to be urine. I told the staff not to put them back on the bed because it needed to be washed. This now has me thinking if pillows are washed and fluffed or if a thin pillow case is just placed on top of it. The exterior needs help as well.

My husband and I thought that this hotel was overall "okay". We didn't spend a lot of time in the hotel because there was so much to do in Charleston that we couldn't do it all. Even though this was a romantic trip, as a business person, I think the management and owners should take the time to restore this hotel to it's original beauty. However, my advice to couples is to save just a little more money and stay at a nicer hotel--$99 a night...really is too good to be true. Start shopping in the $200+ hotels. We are usually Marriott loyals...this one time we ventured out because of the pictures on the website...never again. Great people....the place needs work!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing the Charleston Plaza Hotel recently for your accommodation needs. I am delighted that you recognized our nice and friendly staff in your review. I am truly sorry to hear of the challenges you had during your stay. Please accept our sincere apologies for your housekeeping issues. I have shared your concerns with the staff to assure it does not repeat. Thank you for bringing the bug to our attention. I assure you that the hotel has a pest management company that treats the property and rooms on a regular basis. I have also read your comments and concerns regarding the condition of our facilities and agree with you on this point. I am excited to report that we are in the final stages of design and renovation plans and will be starting the process really soon. I would love for you to be able to experience firsthand the finished product and enjoy the refreshed facilities in the near future. Please let my office know of your plans as I would like to see to your reservation details. Looking forward to welcoming you back soon!

Charlotte, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This place is a piece of junk! The whole building smelled like feet and and 50 year old carpet. They have black duct tape in the lobby holding the carpet down. The room has hundreds of nasty stains in the carpet and walls. The Bathroom was way too tiny and nasty looked like it hadn't been cleaned and has not been renovated since this very old tired looking building was built.

Never booked on Expedia before and will never do it again this hotel was supposed to be a 3.5 star hotel and guess what folks it should be condemned. This is the nastiest place I have ever seen and I have stayed in many took a $400 loss on this trip I doubt Expedia will reimburse a dime.

The desk clerk was not knowledgable at all almost like she never has been in any of the rooms because she tried to send us to 2 others which were way worse riddled with cigarette and butt smell. I am livid that this place is still allowed to be open so close to Charleston and use a name like Plaza.

DO NOT stay here! We didn't lasted in the hotel for all of 15 minutes before we walked out and found MUCH better accommodations.

Room Tip: Stay away from this rat hole.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
HotelMngerGM, General Manager at Charleston Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Thank you for your recent stay at the Charleston Plaza Hotel. I agree with you regarding your observation of our facility needing a revamping and updating. I am happy to share that we are in our final stages of design and renovation plans and will be starting the process really soon. I would love for you to be able to experience first hand the finished product and enjoy the refreshed facilities in the near future. Please let my office know of your plans as I would like to see to your reservation details. Looking forward to welcoming you back soon!

Greensboro, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Ok, where do I start! My husband and I booked this hotel through Priceline for July 4th weekend. Actually, we placed a bid for a 3-star hotel and the Charleston Plaza was the one who accepted our offer. We were extremely nervous about bidding on a hotel, because anyone who has done this before knows that the hotel is not revealed until your bid is accepted and your credit card is charged. Once the Charleston Plaza was revealed we were extremely nervous and sort of disappointed, because the reveiws we read on several sites were not good! It was things like dirty rooms, bugs, rude front desk attendants, rooms left open by housekeeping after room was cleaned, & the list goes on. The only good things that most people had to say about the hotel was the nice pools. Now once the hotel was booked I had to call to ask for a king size bed, a microwave, and refrigerator. The first time I called, I was told to call back in an hour because the manager was in the procrss of putting the guests names in the computer, understandable, that was not a problem. While, I had the manager on the phone, (I think she was the manager) I expressed some of my concerns prior reading the reviews. I think she was a little shocked at all my questions, but she ensured me that their hotel was clean, and that they have steady business. Ok, that eased my mind a little. An hour later I called back to confirm my reservations and make sure everything was in order & guess what? My reservation was no whete to be found. I had to call between Priceline and Charleston Hotel at least 4 times before the lady at the hotel finally found our reservation. My husband and I arrived in Charleston July 3, and just as the reviews stated, the outside of the hotel could use a makeover, the lobby area was very nice, as well as the inside and outside pool area. Now on to our room...lets just say both my husband and I was nervous and anxious to see what our room look liked, especially after reading all the negative reviews. Surprisingly, it was very nice! We had a king bed, mini fridge, microwave, the room was clean & pretty much in order. The AFTERNOON front desk attendants were professional and nice. Not sure of their names, but it was a young male & female. Housekeeping came a little early the first morning, the next morning they ran out of towels (front desk had some brought to our room later that evening), other than that they were good. Their onsite resturant was great, the food was delicuous, & Satutrday night we had the best bartender, she was very good at her job!! To wrap this up, our experience here was good. They had guests in and out the entire time we were there, so they do have steady business. The rooms were a little out dated, but hi, that was nothing . The coffee maker had not been cleaned, luckily we don't drink coffee. I guess it just depends on what type of room you get. Also, they put our receipt under the door the morning we were to check out with 0 balance, but once we checked out we were told we owed a fee for using the phone. No big deal...but do not give customer a receipt with a 0 balance then charge for something. Would I call it a 3-star? Maybe the lobby, but not the rooms.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms with mini fridge and microwave, think they may be better. Take pictures of your room u...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent stay at the Charleston Plaza Hotel and sharing your comments with us. I am pleased you enjoyed your overall stay with us. We are aware of the condition of our facilities and could not have agreed more. I am happy to announce that we are in our final stages of our renovation arrangements and will be starting the project soon. I would love to be able to welcome you back soon and experience first hand our refreshed and renewed facilities. Please let my office know of your future plans as I would love to welcome you back and showcase our new facility.

Charleston Plaza Hotel

Been to Charleston Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!