“Surprisingly Surprise!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Charleston Plaza Hotel

Save Saved
You added Charleston Plaza Hotel to your Saves list
Charleston Plaza Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4770 Goer Dr., North Charleston, SC 29406 (Formerly InnPlace Charleston Airport Hotel)   |
Ranked #43 of 58 hotels in North Charleston
Greensboro, North Carolina
“Surprisingly Surprise!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Ok, where do I start! My husband and I booked this hotel through Priceline for July 4th weekend. Actually, we placed a bid for a 3-star hotel and the Charleston Plaza was the one who accepted our offer. We were extremely nervous about bidding on a hotel, because anyone who has done this before knows that the hotel is not revealed until your bid is accepted and your credit card is charged. Once the Charleston Plaza was revealed we were extremely nervous and sort of disappointed, because the reveiws we read on several sites were not good! It was things like dirty rooms, bugs, rude front desk attendants, rooms left open by housekeeping after room was cleaned, & the list goes on. The only good things that most people had to say about the hotel was the nice pools. Now once the hotel was booked I had to call to ask for a king size bed, a microwave, and refrigerator. The first time I called, I was told to call back in an hour because the manager was in the procrss of putting the guests names in the computer, understandable, that was not a problem. While, I had the manager on the phone, (I think she was the manager) I expressed some of my concerns prior reading the reviews. I think she was a little shocked at all my questions, but she ensured me that their hotel was clean, and that they have steady business. Ok, that eased my mind a little. An hour later I called back to confirm my reservations and make sure everything was in order & guess what? My reservation was no whete to be found. I had to call between Priceline and Charleston Hotel at least 4 times before the lady at the hotel finally found our reservation. My husband and I arrived in Charleston July 3, and just as the reviews stated, the outside of the hotel could use a makeover, the lobby area was very nice, as well as the inside and outside pool area. Now on to our room...lets just say both my husband and I was nervous and anxious to see what our room look liked, especially after reading all the negative reviews. Surprisingly, it was very nice! We had a king bed, mini fridge, microwave, the room was clean & pretty much in order. The AFTERNOON front desk attendants were professional and nice. Not sure of their names, but it was a young male & female. Housekeeping came a little early the first morning, the next morning they ran out of towels (front desk had some brought to our room later that evening), other than that they were good. Their onsite resturant was great, the food was delicuous, & Satutrday night we had the best bartender, she was very good at her job!! To wrap this up, our experience here was good. They had guests in and out the entire time we were there, so they do have steady business. The rooms were a little out dated, but hi, that was nothing . The coffee maker had not been cleaned, luckily we don't drink coffee. I guess it just depends on what type of room you get. Also, they put our receipt under the door the morning we were to check out with 0 balance, but once we checked out we were told we owed a fee for using the phone. No big deal...but do not give customer a receipt with a 0 balance then charge for something. Would I call it a 3-star? Maybe the lobby, but not the rooms.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms with mini fridge and microwave, think they may be better. Take pictures of your room u...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

29 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Tallahassee, Florida, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

The place could be nice. It has huge potential. It looks nice enough when you walk in. They have some leaks in the lobby area. They really need to clean or replace the carpets. The rooms would be OK if they were not dusty. When performing the bed bug check upon arrival ( which there were none) the head board was dusty but the desk and hutch the TV was on were not dusty. You have to pay for the breakfast bar which was ok. We ate at the restaurant one evening and it was surprisingly really good. We found the staff nice and helpful all 3 days we were there. After we reserved the room we looked at the reviews ( priceline) we would not have stayed here if given the choice to change. The reviews really scared us. But after our stay we decided we would stay here again the good points really outweighed the few dusty issues. Our son will be in the area for a while and we definitely will stay here again. It is close to his base and nice enough for the price. I hope the management will do a better job with the follow through necessary to make this place what it has the potential to be. It could be fabulous.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Cost was only $95 per night, so you do get what you pay for. I've been in better, I've been in worse. The hotel is just old and dirty in the corners. Paper peeling from the walls, tile grout cracked and crumbling, baseboards filthy. However, sheets/bed were clean, air conditioner, while loud, worked well. They did not replace towels or coffee any of the 3 days we were there. We had to hunt down the cart and do it ourselves.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Carolina Beach NC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My first bad review and I travel constantly. Usually do not worry about the small stuff.
1. Checked in on the 19th, Very late. Room was really dirty. As I said I do not sweat the small stuff. The paint peeling of the wall in the shower and the leaky shower head along with dirty baseboards throughout. Pretty bad.
2. On the 20th, as we did not get in until 1:00 am the night before we asked the maid to come back after 9:30 so I could finish showering. We left and took the shuttle downtown. $10.00 roundtrip.
3. They never showed up to pick us back up! The price is great but if you strand someone downtown and they have to pay $34.00. to get a cab back it is not such a bargain!
4. The next morning we asked again to give us to get ready. Asked the housekeeper to come back in 1/2 hour. GUESS WHAT. Again they never came back.
5. I vowed I would never go back but was not going to write a review, just going to let it go.
We left very early Sunday morning (5:30am) There was no one around the desk. We called out but no one came. I did not give it much thought and figured they would send me the bill via mail.
Well I looked at my credit card account today THEY OVER CHARGED ME $407.00 Over twice as much as the bill should have been.

DO NOT STAY HERE!!!! Pool was ok

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Bryan T, Manager at Charleston Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am very sorry for the inconvenience you endured during your stay with us. The management team including myself will be using this review in our future training so that we can make sure that no other guest have the same experience you had. I do hope that you will give us another chance in the future to earn your business back. Thank you again for your time.
Bradenton, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Our experience here was much like everyone else's, which is a little perplexing.

-Did not choose the hotel, Priceline guaranteed a low rate to a "3 star" hotel. Perhaps the North Charleston Plaza Hotel's rating should be reevaluated.

-Check-in was fine; 4pm is a little late but we were able to get in at 3:30.

-Room was clean, albeit dated. Support bar in shower was coming off of the wall (negligence suit in waiting, ask your legal team).

-Front desk was extraordinarily difficult to contact. On three separate occasions it took 20+ rings for an answer.

-On second day ROOM WAS HALF MADE? I see another review mentions this, which just baffles me because the management is clearly aware of the issue; it's repetition is thus inexcusable. After another 20+ ring to the front desk explaining the issue and being assured someone would address it, 25 minutes later with no knock on the door led us to just do it ourselves. Front desk very unapologetic.

-Fitted sheet, as mentioned in other reviews, was too small for the bed.

-Not quite sure I understand the issue here. I see a lot of apologetic responses from the management to these reviews but the same issues are occurring.

-Would not recommend or return.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We are working very hard to provide the best service possible and will continue to do so until we meet the expectations of each and every guest. Now that we are under new management we have started to make improvements to the entire property and look forward to a great future ahead of us, and we hope that you come and visit us soon so that you can experience the great changes for yourself.
Columbus, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We got a great price for a great room. We stayed the night before our Charleston cruise and were able to leave our car in their parking lot with NO charge. It cost us $10.00 each to ride their van to the cruise terminal. Very convenient and stress free. The cab trip back to the hotel was $32.00 plus tip. This was less than half the cost if you parked your car at the cruise terminal parking which would have been $119.00 for a 7 night cruise. We were able to debark and catch a cab back to the hotel in less than 40 minutes!

The hotel was clean and the hotel restaurant was good for dinner with great staff. Breakfast was ok, it was a buffet. I would recommend this hotel and I would stay again.

Room Tip: All floors are about the same. The hotel is large so if you don't like waiting for elevators as...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Bryan T, Manager at Charleston Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Thank you very much for your review. I hope you had a great time on your cruise. Please keep us in mind the next time you come to Charleston either for a cruise or a vacation and allow us to help plan your stay so that you get the complete Charleston experience. We hope you come visit again soon.

Been to Charleston Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!