“Best value for upscale room in Charleston.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Charleston Airport Convention Center

You added Crowne Plaza Charleston Airport Convention Center to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Charleston Airport Convention Center
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4831 Tanger Outlet Boulevard, North Charleston, SC 29418   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #21 of 58 Hotels in North Charleston
Charleston, South Carolina
“Best value for upscale room in Charleston.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Once again I had an amazing 2 night stay at this property. Corey and Matt address me by name every time I check in. Best service you will find. The bellman went out of his way to help me as well as the restaurant staff. Im usually a Mills House or downtown embassy suites guy, but you can not beat this property. Better rooms at a value rate. It's a $30 ride from downtown in a town car.

• Stayed July 2013
Hollydawn, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Charleston Airport Convention Center, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Thank you for the review. We all look forward to seeing you next time you are in town.
Mark Mitchell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Harrisburg, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

We checked into this hotel after our original hotel was overbooked and this hotel was one of the only in the area that had availability and a "suite" since we were traveling with our 2 year old that takes naps and goes to sleep early. We paid top dollar for a suite since it clearly states on their website and I copied and pasted this description: 1 KING BED EXECUTIVE SUITE NONSMOKING-THIS SPACIOUS KING SUITE FEATURES A PRIVATE SLEEPING AREA. We walked into a single room with a couch and big bathroom, there was no private sleeping area or anything that could be called that. We were so disappointed and had to take our luggage back downstairs as we were not paying a suite price when it was not in fact a suite. The front desk person said it was considered a suite because it had a couch. As we passed by a housekeeper, we asked her if there were any rooms with private sleeping areas and she said no. The room we were booked in was mainly occupied by honeymooners since it has a fancy bathroom. The hotel had 2 rooms available so we moved to an executive room on the first floor with 2 beds. There was nothing executive about it and I will post pictures to show what I mean. The floors were disgusting, the toilet handle was falling off and the beds were so old and used that every time you got up or sat down, it made an awful noise. Keep in mind we were trying to tip toe around our sleeping 2 year old in the bed right next door. There was a small kitchen area with a sink and refrig which came in handy but we found a razor blade next to the refrig that must of been there from the remodel but it was easily visible and we were thankful that our daughter did not find it first. Luckily we were only in town for 2 nights on business as we even tried to use the pool but it was cloudy and not clean at all. There were beer bottles, wine glasses, even broken glasses and towels thrown everywhere. This was the case both days when we went out there and it was the same glasses from the day before. We were so tired from having to move from our originally booked hotel that we didn't want to do it again. We were on a time schedule and really just made the best of it for the 2 nights. I actually tried to contact the hotel upon departure but was never contacted back. I wanted to give them a fair shot before posting our horrible experience, everyone deserves a chance but there was never any follow up and this was 2 weeks ago. There are so many much better and cleaner choices in North Charleston and it really was our choice to stay here in the first place.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
First of all, I apologize for your stay. What you encountered is not the type of service or the experience that our guest should receive. We take great efforts in giving each and every guest a quality product and great guest service. Your pictures show less than acceptable standards for this hotel or me. I assure you that each of your comments has been addressed with the proper departments and procedures will not allow this to happen again. I take great pride in training and coaching all the staff in order to deliver something special and creating positive memorable moments. Your stay fell short on both, and is not the norm for us. I would like to have that conversation with you, and discuss your stay. I can be reached at 843.744.4422.
Columbia, South Carolina, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stayed there 4 nights.. It was good until Saturday night when they booked a family reunion. The reunion partied in the lobby and due to the hotel being open up, we could hear and see everything. However, the staff made sure it was shut down around midnight. Next time, we will make sure we do not come during holiday weekend in the Summer.

The front desk and other staff members were so nice and friendly.

Room Tip: Do not stay on 1st or 2nd floor. If family reunion, you will not get much sleep.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Hollydawn, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Charleston Airport Convention Center, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you for staying with us while in Charelston and thank you for your comments. Your review is important to me and will help improve our guests' stays over busy holiday weekend. Enjoy your summer and again, thank you.
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

My family and I enjoyed our weekend stay at the Crown Plaza - Charleston Airport. It's located in the perfect location across from the Tanger Outlet, lots of restaurants and less than a ten minute drive to downtown Charleston,
The staff was so friendly and helpful during our stay. They were sold out due to a family reunion and a class reunion ... sometimes that can mean poor service but not in this case. We received OUTSTANDING service all weekend long. I know they were beyond busy but they were always smiling and offering assistance or directions .. or just simplify making sure everything was okay with our stay.
I would love stay here again and will tell anyone traveling in the area about my awesome experience..

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. We all hope to see you back at the Crowne Plaza Charleston next time you are in town.
Freeport, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

This is a nice place, but a 4 star rating suggests a high level of satisfaction can be expected. The room was nice when evaluating the essentials- bed comfort, shower, cleanliness, friendliness of the staff. Being a visual person, the decor is somewhat dark and heavy... a matter of taste I realize. However, they also had me looking out on a loading dock- not good for a fancy place- they moved my room because the A/C wouldn't go below 68 and the TV didn't work. But the new room had the same view. Since I checked in at 3:00 it seems like they could/should have done better.

Room Tip: I wish I knew...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

This was a BEAUTIFUL hotel with everything you need for a week or weekend getaway. The hotel has a fantastic restaurant, lobby, bar, poolside lounge, and gym area and is within walking distance of the Tanger Outlet Mall, Wal Mart, and dozens of different restaurants and shops. We also visited the Charleston Aquarium which according to the GPS was 21 minutes from the hotel. Staff was courteous, friendly, helpful, and kind. The hostess upgraded us to an executive suite without being asked, the bar tender was hilarious and happily created drinks in plastic cups so we could take them to the pool with us, even the housekeeping staff obviously took extreme pride in their positions.

The rooms were beautiful with everything we needed for a few nights away. We are pretty spoiled with our bed at home, so I can't say our sleep quality was much improved, but the bed was very nice, and the pillows were soft. The bathroom was beautiful with a full glass shower. I wished there was a bathtub, but we stayed so busy with everything else I'm not sure I would have gotten to a bath even if we'd had one.

We enjoyed the Hotels Sweet Grass restaurant each morning. Our server was the same both mornings and even remembered us. The buffet was excellent with many choices, hot and cold, sweet and savory. It was probably cleaner than my own kitchen at home. :-)

We liked the swanky and romantic atmosphere the lobby provided with private nooks to curl up in, chat, or even watch TV in.

The bar was beautiful, the only thing that would have made it better is if it were 24hrs. ;-)

The pool was nice, though a bit smaller than I expected and it wasn't deep (Not even 6ft.) It was extremely sufficient for a late-night swim with my husband and staff kindly turned a blind eye to how late we were there.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

I stayed over the weekend for one night and I must say I was impressed by this hotel. The people who worked there and took care of us were extremely kind and patient. The hotel was SO clean. I am pretty picky when it comes to hotels and this was hands down one of my favorites. We originally came to the hotel for just a place to sleep (we got the deal on Hotwire's secret hotel deals). But after we arrived and saw the hotel, we decided to take our girl's night out to the hotel bar itself! It was just awesome all around. This is definitely great for couples on a romantic weekend, business, or just friends.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Crowne Plaza Charleston Airport Convention Center? Share your experiences!