“Girls weekend” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Charleston Airport Convention Center

You added Crowne Plaza Charleston Airport Convention Center to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Charleston Airport Convention Center
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4831 Tanger Outlet Boulevard, North Charleston, SC 29418   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #21 of 58 Hotels in North Charleston
Durham, North Carolina
“Girls weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

This was my first stay at Crowne Plaza and I am delighted to recommend it to others. It was only about 12 minutes from downtown Charleston and much more affordable than hotels downtown. The rooms were clean, beautiful and comfortable and the staff was helpful and friendly. This was a girl's weekend and being right beside the outlets was a plus. I definitely plan to stay at the Crowne Plaza on my next trip to Charleston, SC.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Hollydawn, Manager at Crowne Plaza Charleston Airport Convention Center, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Thank you for your kind review. We look forward to you staying with us next time you are in the Charleston area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Anchorage, Alaska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

This is not your average Crowne Plaza, as it ranks a few notches higher than most. Rooms are nice, clean and well kept. The phones in the rooms though are unreliable as mine needed changing. They are not corded but wireless, needing to be charged and have poor reception. The lobby is nice, as is the lobby bar (although the tv looses its signal every once in a while - frustrating if watching news or a game). I was impressed with the food quality, although the restaurant is set up quasi cafeteria style and not welcoming for a quiet meal. This could use improvement.

The location is both good and questionable, as it is located near a stream where some aggressive wildlife live. During my stay I saw a large snake by the pool area, (this got everyone's attention and was amusing watching the reactions) which I was told to stay away from as it was a cotton mouth. Perhaps these are common to the area but one would assume the hotel would hire people to ensure these creatures stay away from the property.

The staff at this location is very professional, overly helpful and will go out of their way to accommodate you - very impressed with everyone!

If you are being picked up from the airport, call the hotel and make sure you have a lot of patients. Southwest employees have first priority to transportation and the Hotel Van will leave you behind (as the hotel only offers one vehicle for transport) returning to pick you up after dropping them off (25 minutes or so). Once again the friendly staff will accommodate you as best they can and make you feel welcome. A second vehicle for transportation would make a huge difference!

Room Tip: Mid level to higher floors are quieter. Occasional airport noise but not enough to be disruptive.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Charleston Airport Convention Center, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
Dear Vmo9,

Thank you for your feedback of our hotel regarding your stay with us. We appreciate your compliments regarding our staff and rooms.

I am sorry to hear your issues with our shuttle service and the phone line in your room, nonetheless, it is still a pleasure to read that you were satisfied with the amenities and services that we have to offer. Your satisfaction is of utmost importance to us as we constantly strive to make your experience a great one.

Thank you for your feedback and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again very soon.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare
spyder209
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 1 night to attend a wedding in town. I booked it because it was reasonably priced and close to the wedding venue (Citadel). I was surprised at how nice it was for the price. It was very modern looking and the room was fantastic. It had a circular couch area a huge bed which I assume was cal king, a desk area with a mini fridge, flat screen tv, and a spacious bathroom! There was also nice little touches like aromatherapy sample pack on the bed and they offered free toiletries if you forgot them. The pool area was nice and had furniture with real cushions that were very comfortable. The lobby and bar area were very pretty. We did not have time to use the bar, restaurant, or gym but they seemed nice. I was also surprised to see how close the hotel is to the Tanger Outlets. You can literally park your car at the hotel and walk there. This place was very nice and at the same price as the Holiday Inn Express! I would absolutely stay here again for a longer stay!

• Stayed June 2013
Beavercreek, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

The room was large and decorated very nice. The bed was comfy with great pillows & sheets. The bathroom was large with all the amenties. I loved everything about the room but I didn't like the bar noise in the lobby. We were on the 5th floor and it sounded like the people were talking outside our room. Our alarm set for 5 AM and it was after 11PM and they were still going strong. The hotel is open in the lobby to the top of the building so the sound goes up. I loved how there were lots of seating arrangements to get together with friends around the bar. It was really a great place if you could keep the bar noise on the first floor. Location was close to downtown and the outlet mall was right there, Many places to eat close by.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hollydawn, Manager at Crowne Plaza Charleston Airport Convention Center, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind review of our hotel! We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that you had a great experience. We do apologize for the noisiness that you experienced during your stay. We take the quiet enjoyment of our hotel very seriously and make every effort to have everyone cooperate. I will be sure to share your comments with our team as the feedback we receive from our valued guests such as yourself enables us to constantly work to improve our guest service, which is something we pride ourselves in. We look forward to having to stay again and welcoming you back to Charleston!
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Nice spacious room, very clean and well decorated. A good choice for the price. Easy commute to downtown and tourist attractions. Only problem we encountered was with housekeeping making the bed. Apparently because we pulled the covers up and didn't leave the bed "messy" they thought we didn't want them to make it. This happened 2 nights in a row. They did offer to come back and make it up after I called but since it was late we didn't bother having them do that.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Rock Hill, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

I would have given this hotel a GOOD rating, but it doesn't have that. I stayed at this hotel during a school visit to Charleston. The hotel was very nicely decorated and the room was a good size. There were a couple of drawbacks. The package we had did not have breakfast included and since it was raining the morning we were there, we decided to eat anyway. It was very expensive. I got the cereal buffet which cost $6. The full buffet was $11, and didn't seem to be that exceptional. I guess if we had gotten the breakfast free, it would have been a very good continental buffet. The layout of the upstair rooms is interesting, and I never found the stairs, which is something I always try to find when I am at a hotel. Also, the bathroom door never completely closed, which isn't a problem if you are there with a spouse or family member, but kind of an issue when you are staying in the same room with a friend. The biggest complaint I had was the work out room. It was HOT!! We had the air down as low as it would go, and it was still over 80 degrees in the room. There wasn't a fan to use. I only stayed for about 20 minutes, because it was too hot. Overall, the hotel is very clean and nice

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Hollydawn, Manager at Crowne Plaza Charleston Airport Convention Center, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind review of our hotel! We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I will be sure to share your comments with our team as the feedback we receive from our valued guests such as yourself enables us to constantly work to improve our guest service, which is something we pride ourselves in. We look forward to having to stay again and welcoming you back to Charleston!
Seattle, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

I picked this hotel for my business trip stay in Charleston due to it's proximity to my work, it's prior reviews and the fact that it was a choice on my company's preferred hotel list. The prior reviewers were right! It's a nice hotel that is well kept and freshly renovated.

The rooms are very spacious and nicely decorated. No cheesy hotel stuff. There's even a couch with a handy swing over table perfect for using your computer while watching TV. The first thing I noticed upon entering the room is that the bathroom was on the far side of the room, the outside wall, rather than next to the door to the room. That's refreshing! Really nice tile floors and faux tile shower walls. Very spacious bathroom too. Flat screen TV, nice looking dresser with a room safe inside the top section.

I did need to call engineering to open my room safe, as the batteries had died (no fault there...it happens). The disappointment was that when I called at 9:30 pm, because I wanted to retrieve my belongings from inside the safe, they told me the engineer would be up shortly. I waited for 1.5 hrs and never heard from them, so finally decided to go to bed. They could have given me a courtesy call to let me know not to wait.

The head engineer that came to fix the safe the next time I called was very nice and helpful.

The one day I was able to sleep in, the hallway noise was very loud, but I guess that is hotels for you. However, the fact that the bathroom is not between the room and hall may be a factor. If you want to sleep in, this may not be the hotel for you.

Overall I definitely recommend this hotel and would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 207. It overlooks the hotel entry circle. There's nothing to see around here, s...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Hollydawn, Manager at Crowne Plaza Charleston Airport Convention Center, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Thank you so much for your review of your stay with us! I do want to apologize for the noisiness that you experienced during your stay and that you were not able to take advantage of a day you could have slept in. We take the quiet enjoyment of our hotel very seriously and make every effort to have all of our guests cooperate. Please know that your comments will be reviewed with our management team so we may find ways to make improvements. We are glad you enjoyed our décor—we just did a huge renovation three years ago come December. Thank you again for your valuable feedback; we look forward to welcoming you back to Charleston and having you stay with us again!

Been to Crowne Plaza Charleston Airport Convention Center? Share your experiences!