“A comfortable establishment in a convenient location:” 5 of 5 stars
Review of SpringHill Suites Charleston North/Ashley Phosphate

You added SpringHill Suites Charleston North/Ashley Phosphate to your Saves list
SpringHill Suites Charleston North/Ashley Phosphate
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7535 North Forest Drive, North Charleston, SC 29420   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #17 of 58 Hotels in North Charleston
Lumberton, North Carolina
“A comfortable establishment in a convenient location:”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel on numerous occasions while travelling on business. It is a great hotel, with a most attentive, friendly and competent staff. I will be back over and over again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
GM7535, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Charleston North/Ashley Phosphate, responded to this review, January 11, 2012
Thank you for your wonderful review. Your gracious compliments and excellent details are greatly appreciated.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

My 10 days stay was what I needed and wanted. The money I payed was worth it clean fresh and quite. All the staff members was as nice as they could be. Travannis on the other hand was in a class all by himself. He made sure that I was well taking care of when I told him that my room was a little unclean he gave me another room with no problem.Will I come back again? Yes I will!!!! Thanks The Dedrick Family

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Bladenboro, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2011

We were taking a family trip, to Charleston. Booked Springhill Suites, the room was clean and the staff was great. Nice family atmosphere.

Room Tip: Family Friendly
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
I want to thank you for the very kind words. I will make sure to share your comments with my associates, and I am happy to share with you that it means a lot to them to know that their efforts are recognized.
Inman, South Carolina, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2011

Our soccer team came to town for a soccer tournament. As customary, I blocked rooms with the team bank card. Called to get information from desk about having parents call to secure rooms with their cc, and was told not to have all the parents call that upon check in each family would be required to present payment. A family checked in late (due to a death) at 1 a.m., and was not required to present payment nor to verify the card on file. I was charged for the room, which was not my only issue with the hotel. I was researching as we were dealing with other issues from the hotel putting a hold on my account for a room that I didn't even know the family. I discovered before the staff could that I had been charged for a family who checked in without validating the card on file. Dealing with GM has not been a pleasant experience, in fact we have made a team decision not to stay at the hotel due to the probelms we encountered administratively. The hotel is nice, but not going to return no matter what the rate. When I asked the General Manager would he cover any insufficient funds due to my being charged for a room that was not my responsibility he replie no. When you block a room you are responsible. I told him I thought it was a fraudulent charge since his staff checked them in and did not validate card on file or ask for payment per the policy state to me over the phone. After several days, I spoke to the family and had them call to charge the room to their cc my charges were reversed. This has been my worst hotel experience in booking soccer tournaments ever. I asked the GM to issue some professional courtesy on another issue, and asked if he wanted return customers. He replies that he could not issue professional courtesy due to the property being off the main road, and that he did want return customers but only on his terms. Shocking. Property is nice, but the worst experience I had in booking hotels for 7 years of soccer. Would not recommend this property.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
GM7535, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Charleston North/Ashley Phosphate, responded to this review, March 14, 2012
Let me start by thanking you for the kind words regarding the quality of the hotel, which are also reinforced by a separate review from a different group participant, staying on the same occasion (see review Tournament housing for Soccer, October 3, 2011)

With respect to your complain that you have been charged for a room you did not use, with all due respect, but that is usually the case when guaranteed reservations are made and not canceled within the prescribed cancelation deadline.

Let me also point out, that in fact you had no direct dealings with the hotel and although your husband was a guest with us, and very happy with the accommodations, you were never in fact in the hotel. You never negotiate a rate or terms with the hotel directly, nor did you block any rooms directly with the hotel. Your team made reservations through a tournament office, on a group contract negotiated by the tournament office, and they provided the hotel with lists of names and credit card numbers to guarantee the reservations. Said contract had very specific and transparent terms and conditions, including cancelation deadlines and a paragraph placing the burden of transmitting all pertinent terms and conditions on the tournament office not the hotel, since they were the ones dealing with the individual teams, not the hotel.

Regretfully, a number of rooms from your team did not show up on the first night, but came in for the second night, and one room never did show up. No cancelation or changes had been made within the contract terms and the hotel charged as per the terms of the contract.

I see from your other review made for another hotel, at another location, that you value the ability to make guarantee reservations and then be able to cancel past cancelation deadline without penalty. I am very sorry, but it is not what we do it at this hotel, and particularly not with groups. Most hotels of quality have difficulty renting rooms at the last moment, as most guests pre plan their stays, and it is the very reason that we only book groups subject to pre negotiated contracts, with cutoff dates and cancelation deadlines carefully spelled out.

I do understand that you are of the impression that contracts and cancelation deadlines should not apply to you, and I regret to have to disappoint you. Please note however, that you initiated complaints and brought your concerns to the highest levels of the Marriott Customer Care Office, where after careful review, no fault was found in the manner the hotel handled this issue.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2011 via mobile

Had an excellent stay at this hotel. The traffic was a bit heavy coming off the interstate due to the holiday season and its location near the mall, but the hotel itself was tucked back off a side street with very little thru traffic. The rooms were very clean and the bed was awesome! Having a 42 inch flat screen in the room wasn't too shabby either. The breakfast had a variety of choices, but we decided to just eat at the nearby Denny's because the eggs were a little chewy and the bacon overdone. Staff was courteous and overall was very pleased with our stay. Would stay again.

• Stayed December 2011
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011 via mobile

If considering staying at this hotel, make sure you are in your room or already checked in between the hours of 11-7. The night auditor Betty Denson will give you the worst "hospitality" experience you have ever received. Something you would expect from a motel but not a Marriott brand.

The unfortunate thing is last interaction I had with her resulted in the same displeasure. If it wasn't for the good service of the front desk in the prior shifts, I would never visit this hotel strictly because of her.

I do not feel I will visit this hotel again as long as she allowed to be as rude as she is.

• Stayed December 2011
GM7535, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Charleston North/Ashley Phosphate, responded to this review, December 6, 2011
Sir, this is truly regrettable, particularly when I see that you have visited our hotel on almost 40 different occasions, over the last two years, without any objections ever raised. I do want to apologize if any of our front desk associates were unfriendly or rude to you in any way; that is inexcusable.

However, from your more detailed comments made via the Marriott Customer Care office, I do see that the core issue was the fact that you expected to be able to check inn on a deep discount Coupon offer, without having to present the coupon at check inn. Although in no way would this justify any of my associates to be rude, the fact is that they are not allowed to extend the rate without having the coupon presented at check inn, and doing otherwise would make them subject to disciplinary action. I realize that the presence of the coupon may seam but a trivial matter to you, but if a Marriott hotel was to publish a discount Coupon offer and extend the Coupon rate without the presence of the coupon, that would put the hotel in violation of Marriott standards and subject to penalties.

The Coupon in question clearly spells out all the terms and conditions under which it was offered, and Betty was not in a position to make any exceptions. I do apologize again, if in her interaction with you, she was rude in any way.
Harrisburg, Pa.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

We stayed at this hotel on a recent family vacation. We stayed one night as a stopover and to tour Charleston. The hotel itself is very nice, well appointed, modern and stylish. The lobby area is decorated nicely and has a welcoming feel to it. The check in staff we had was tremendous, very helpful and kind. Our room was clean, again decorated nicely. The layout of the beds was a bit narrow for our taste, but the bathroom was spacious and well appointed. The pool is very small, but the area was clean. The fitness room was definitely one of the better ones I have seen.
Our issues started in the evening with some very loud people beside us. We had to make three calls to the front desk regarding the noise, and it still didn’t stop until 2:30. During check out I told the clerk about the noise and the calls we made. She shrugged her shoulders and said, ‘Sorry, I can’t do anything about the walls or noise. I guess I will tell the manager.’ Seriously! That is the best that can be done!? At that point I was more disappointed with the staff than the noise. I’m a Marriott member and stay at many Marriott properties and have never had a worse answer.

We did have breakfast, and it was nice although we were too tired to enjoy it. There seemed to be plenty of food, and it was stocked as needed. The seating is a bit awkward though. Not many tables, but a long breakfast type bar.

The hotel was nice, some of the staff was great. If you stay, bring ear plugs. I don’t believe we will make a return visit.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

I also want to apologize for the noisy neighbors. We take the quite enjoyment of our hotel very serious and make every effort to get all our guests to cooperate. Regrettably, at times there are instances when repeated interventions are required to quite somebody down.

Been to SpringHill Suites Charleston North/Ashley Phosphate? Share your experiences!