“Sloppy and Comfy..if that makes sense.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hampton Inn & Suites North Charleston-University Blvd

Save Saved
You added Hampton Inn & Suites North Charleston-University Blvd to your Saves list
Hampton Inn & Suites North Charleston-University Blvd
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2688 Fernwood Drive, North Charleston, SC 29406   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
AAA members get 10% off
Ranked #4 of 58 hotels in North Charleston
Rocky Mount, North Carolina
“Sloppy and Comfy..if that makes sense.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

So glad I rummaged through an old purse and found this card after our stay. I came in on Friday, and yes we were earlier than the normal. I must say Tom and Kimberleigh or Leigh, the desk clerk accomodated us everytime with a warm smile, and eagerness. Our rooms were not ready as of 12noon, so she suggested that we have lunch, and perhaps check back a little later. At about 2 pm, we came back, ready to check in, and Leigh worked it out to where we could all be together. Extremely personable, joking with us, and relatable, as if she was a part of our families. Our rooms were comfy, and cozy, and when requesting extra linen, it was brought to us immediately by a housekeeper. Later that night is when our comfortable stay would turn into a nightmare. We stopped by the desk that evening before heading out to what seemed to be a desk clerk from hell. She was on the phone with a guest and was annoyed as we could see across her face. After hanging up with them, she didn't address us as to how she could help, she just gave us a blank stare. We asked for directions to a spot downtown, and she snatched the map from the counter and pointed us to God only knows. Not wanting anymore of her help, we just left.The next morning I personally got up to enjoy breakfast. The breakfast clerk was extremely busy, though she handled herself very well. Everything was fresh and neat. My cousin even helped her stack cereal. As we were sitting, we noticed another female coming to help that looked as if she had just crawled out of bed. Needless to say, this was the breakfast manager. We all chuckled at how inappropriate she was dressed and she even bent over once for the entire world to catch a glimpse. We saw Leigh again who seemed to need help and that's when we figured the breakfast manager was also the front end manager because she went to assist. We laughed with the breakfast attendant on how great of a job she was doing, and told her we would definately let her manager know. Later that day around 2pm we stopped by the desk to let them know that my mothers room had not been cleaned, the same manager never said anything, she just grabbed a walkie and called someone to clean it, then looked at us and said they will get to you. Whatever happened to "I apologize" it's 2pm, who wants to get unrelaxed now, needless to say it was my mothers fault for having a non disturbance sign on her door all morning. Our check out was expressed, and suffice, but we just stopped by to tell Leigh goodbye she gave us this card and told us the property would appreciate our feedback. I'm sure had she known what all we encountered she would have rethought, well, Leigh...too late, good job on your end, and the breakfast clerk needs major help when she's busy, and help from somene who is refreshed and ready to work. Overall, the minor mishaps did not ruin our stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

235 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel many times but the last two months it has gone down hill. Rooms are not as clean, slow internet service, front desk clerks really do not care and the General Manager totaly ignored returning my call. The phone service inside the hotel is bad from a mobile. You ahce to go outside to call. I also experience a problem with front desk personel and the Hotel Manager. I had bought a new computer mouse the few days that I had stay there. When I left I forgot to pack it.I was told they did not find one in the room. Other words someone stole it. My fault, my mistake, but I called the hotel the next day and it took days for some one to return my call. I asked the General Manager to return my call several times and he did not do it. I even went by and talked to him and he had all kind of excuses for not returning my call. He simply just did not return it. No excuse for a General Manager at a hotel. They need to relly make some improvements.

Room Tip: Be careful what you leave in your room.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
atrain8green, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites North Charleston-University Blvd, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
We are sorry we were not able to provide you with a better quality of service. This is not typical of our usual Hamptonality and welcoming staff, and we are always looking for ways to improve our customer experience. We clearly missed the mark this time. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we are all about Satisfaction Guaranteed and I’ve addressed your comment with the team. I regret that we couldn’t find your computer mouse and I apologize for the delay in returning your call. I will be in contact with you shortly and hope to make things right. We value your feedback and apologize for the inconveniences.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the Hampton North for a three day weekend getaway and it was exactly what we were looking for. The drive into Charleston Historic section was reasonable (about 15 minutes) and we did it twice a day (one for sightseeing and later for dinner). We did eat at a nearby restaurant the first night since we were tired and ask the night clerk for driving directions for a restaurant we found on line. He was very helpful and even gave us a coupon for a free appetizer which we appreciated! The room was very comfortable and clean which is what we have come to expect from Hampton Inns. The breakfast was convenient and had different choices the three days we stayed. The breakfast area is very large and we never had any trouble finding a table which is usually a problem with other hotels that offer breakfast. The hotel was very quiet and we did not have any problems sleeping even though we were there for the weekend. Everything worked well in the room with the exception of the refrigerator (it did not get cold) so we just informed the desk upon leaving so that it could be fixed for the next guest. If we were ever in the area again, I would not hesitate staying at this hotel.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
york, pa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

The room was nice and clean and quiet. Breakfast was the typical Hampton breakfast. The night desk clerk was nice and helpful. My issue was with the lady at the desk in the morning. This hotel has a lot of rooms and only 2 luggage carts. Well, my boyfriend went down to see if he could wrangle up a cart. He was standing in the lobby waiting for a cart and the front desk clerk just ignored him! Now, I realize it wasn't the clerks fault that there were luggage cart hogs (the carts were missing for at least 2 hours! Come on people! Don't hold the carts in your room so that they are there when you need them! Geesh), but the clerk could have at least asked him if he needed anything. We weren't given a USA Today, and so he asked the same morning front desk clerk if there were any extras and she curtly said "no" and basically dismissed us. We used a coupon and saved money on the stay, but the woman basically ruined a nice stay.

Room Tip: We chose the top floor.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Rock Hill, SC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

A great Hampton Inn, as usual. The room was very nice; the bed was comfy; and the breakfast was filling! The staff was very nice, and they helped me several times to get a billing error straight before I checked out. I stay at Hampton inns all over, and this one was really great. The bathroom was nice and spacious, and I love the free wifi!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Charlotte, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

This hotel is exactly why I stay at Hampton/Hilton properties as much as possible. Particularly the newer construction Hampton's. This hotel was clean and well kept. The downstairs lobby area is inviting and large. We only stayed one night and I did not use any of the amenities. The bed was a little softer than most other Hampton's I have stayed in but not too soft. If I were going into Chas. everyday, I'd stay downtown or in Mt. Pleasant but it was not a bad drive and the airport and Charleston Southern are very close. I didn't see a lot of dining options beyond chains and fast food. The fridge worked well, a problem I have run into lately at other properties, but there was no small freezer which I use for re-freezing our cooler blue ice. I prefer a low floor and that is on my profile and I'm a Gold member but I ended up on the 5th. Not the end of the world. We got a great rate due to participating in a local 17/18U baseball tournament. Bottom line, I would stay again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
tmb71, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn & Suites North Charleston-University Blvd, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Thank you for sharing your comments about your very recent stay here with us. We appreciate your business and we're glad that you choose to stay here with us. Our hotel here is the newest Hampton Brand hotel in the greater Charleston area and our convenient location to Historic Downtown Charleston allows us to be a great value, especially to our many loyal Hampton brand clients that keep coming back to us time after time. The immediate area here is somewhat limited in the mid to upscale dining options, however, we are about 3 miles from all sorts of casual dining restaurants...almost too many to count. And many of them do provide us with discount coupons to give out to our clients. So the next time you stay with us, please be sure to ask for them at the front desk. Thank you once again for your comments and for choosing Hampton Inn & Suites. We love having you here! Hope to see you again soon...
New Haven, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

This is a great hotel. When you walk in you see this expanisve area -- very beautiful. The room was very clean and the front desk people couldn't be nicer. The Director Tom B. is the best. He has a very welcoming and fun personality. The complimentary breakfast was great too. We would stayhere again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your very kind words and for sharing your experience here with us on TripAdvisor. We greatly appreciate your business and that you chose to stay here with us while visiting the Charleston area. We do have a lot fun working here and in doing so we also get to meet so many wonderful people too. No doubt, just like you...so thank you for sharing your experience here with us and with the many others that will read about your stay as well. Come back and see us again soon...

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites North Charleston-University Blvd? Share your experiences!