“Not bad for a Starwood” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 59 Hotels in North Charleston
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Not bad for a Starwood”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

The outside of the building is great, grounds and parking are nice and modern. The lobby/bar area amazing. We arrived late and checked out early so didn't use the pool or any of the amenities apart from the bar.

Our room was a disabled acess room with a wet room style shower which was great.

The room was modern and clean, very comfortable for just two of us. As usual for Starwood, bed extremely comfortable and the inroom amenities more than enough for one night.

The only thing was the ceiling (?). White ceiling had a huge crack on it, and no attempt to cover it up.

Staff were friendly and responded to our few requests pretty easily. I can imagine if you annoy them they'd be a little less responsive.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
joelosu, General Manager at Aloft Charleston, responded to this review, July 12, 2011
Dear Arnald5,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us at Aloft Charleston Airport & Convention Center. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the hotel and the amenities we offer.

The loft inspired design with nine foot ceilings and oversized windows creates an open, free flowing energy throughout the guest room. The unfinished appearance and crack you noticed in the ceiling are intentional in order to compliment this design.

Again, thank you for your comments and we look forward to having you as our guest in the future.

843-566-7300

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2011

I am a loyal SPG Platinum member and stay at Alofts 4 days a week. This hotel refused both me and the SPG Platinum Concierge when I went to make a reservation. They had three rooms left available, but claimed no availability and refused to accept the reservation created by the concierge. The Platinum Concierge was, in his words, "floored" at the disregard this hotel showed the SPG Program.

SPG members, don't expect respect from this hotel just because you spend an exorbitant amount of money at Starwood hotels.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Dear KapitalK,

Please accept my sincere apology for your recent experience in attempting to make an award stay reservation with our hotel. We realize Starwood Preferred Guest members are our most loyal customers and we failed to meet those expectations with you.

We have retrained our front office and reservation team at the hotel in order to be sure this does not occur in the future. Please contact me when you need reservations at the Aloft Charleston Airport & Convention Center in the future and I will personally handle your reservation.

Again, my apologies on behalf of the staff and we look forward to having you as our guest on your next trip to Charleston.

843-566-7300
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for a couple of days on a business trip. Upon check-in I was greeted to NO front desk person and waited for one for about five minutes until a heavy set hispanic woman emerged from the back with a mouth full of food and no uniform on so I was very confused if the woman worked there. She rushed to the computer and began checking me in without apologizing for my wait. I thought that was very rude of her but I was too tired to make a big deal about it.
I also was awaken by and loud woman in the hall yelling and slamming doors. I opened my door and asked a housekeeper that was a few doors down who the woman was and she said it was the Housekeeping Manager and I was shocked that a manager would do such a thing. I asked the housekeeper to tell the woman to please lower her voice and stop slamming the doors.
I loved the room and it was cleaned great! The bed was pretty comfortable! My housekeeper was a very beautiful woman named Tiffany who cleaned my room each day to perfection. I have a light case of OCD so she did a great job to my standards!! I also loved the bar and the pool tables, it made my stay very enjoyable.
So overall my stay was okay. It had its ups & downs.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
joelosu, General Manager at Aloft Charleston, responded to this review, June 22, 2011
Dear NickB297,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us. I am sorry for the service issues you encountered and will address these concerns with my team so that future guests do not experience the same. Thank you for sharing your compliment about Tiffany and I will be sure she is recognized for her hard work.

Again, thank you and we hope you will choose Aloft Charleston on your next visit to the area.

St. John's
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

On the pro side: Felt very clean, hip and welcoming, funky elevator floor, deskperson and bartender (with the Irish last name) were supremely friendly and helpful, room had lots of space for luggage, room layout was different (but nice), complimentary bottles water in your room, complimentary brekkie, shower had lots of pressure, bed was comfy, massive flat screen TV, free wi-fi, free parking, within walking distance of Tanger Outlet Mall
On the con side: in the middle of the night, the AC unit seemed loud, but that could just because I am not used to sleeping close to an AC unit (though its better to have any volume of AC than no AC at all in Charleston!), light in the bathroom shines through the shower into the sleeping area (which could possibly disturb a light sleeper if their partner went potty during the night).
The pros far, far, far outweighed the cons. I would definitely stay here again

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear LadyBugLady,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and share your thoughts. I am glad to hear that our staff was friendly and helpful and will be sure to share your compliment with our bartender Dan. We look forward to seeing you again on your travels back through the Charleston area!

South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

First off we got a real deal on rates. We weren't too sure about the place because the rate was too good. We got a pleasant surprize when we arrived. It was a real nice hotel. All the staff at the front desk were super nice, except one but she was the exception, she was too busy flirting with some guy. But like I said the rest were great. They treated our dogs as if they were part of our family, we think they are. The hotel was very clean and the decor was interesting. The pool was loved by our daughter. The maid there, her name was Denise, was super. We hope they appreciate her there as she can make or break a good hotel and she definitely makes this hotel much nicer. Only changes I would make are to make the bathroom door easier to slide shut and to make better shades on the room to cover all of the window.

The free breakfast we had was very good and was availble till almost 10 which worked out fantastic for vacationing.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
joelosu, General Manager at Aloft Charleston, responded to this review, June 14, 2011
Dear Pippin_Annie,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the Aloft Charleston's vibe. Our "ARF" or Animals Are Fun program is designed to welcome our guest's furry little friends while travelling away from home.

We agree that Denise is an asset to the talent at the hotel and I will personally thank her for your compliment. I would like to address the concerns you expressed with the flirtatious desk agent as this is not an image we want to portray. As the reviews on Trip Advisor are anonymous, I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you and discuss this concern in more detail. Please contact me at your convenience at 843-566-7300.

Again, thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to the Charleston area.

Augusta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011

Our daughter got married in Mt. Pleasant, SC May 29, 2011. Some of our guests stayed at The Aloft in North Charleston since they're a pet-friendly hotel and they had offered us a great deal on a block of rooms! We reserved their conference room for our florists to use as their work space. When the florists arrived with 2 large trucks everything in the room was set up exactly as requested and the staff were very friendly and helpful. What a breath of fresh air...thank you to everyone at The Aloft, North Charleston!

Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
joelosu, General Manager at Aloft Charleston, responded to this review, June 13, 2011
Dear Misscharylnn,

Thank you for taking time to share your positive experience with us. I am pleased to hear that our team was friendly and helpful and allowed you to enjoy your daughter's wedding with a little less stress.

We look forward to having you return to Aloft Charleston Airport & Convention Center on your next visit.

Thanks again,

Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2011

no radios or music channels to have music in room
No saunna, steam room, or hot tub
beds hard with thin blankets no sheets
ceilings look 3rd world, not painted well
Bar does not live up to expectations, does not have many liquor choices
and bartender not efficient in mixed drinks

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
joelosu, General Manager at Aloft Charleston, responded to this review, June 1, 2011
Hello TravelGoddess48,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay with us at Aloft Charleston Airport & Convention Center. I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy our "Style at a Steal" hotel concept and design. Our vibe is more simplistic than other hotels and I understand that can be different for our first time guests. The ceilings have an intentional unfinished look to go along with the loft inspired design.

While we do not have a hot tub or sauna, most guests enjoy Splash, our indoor pool or Re:Charge, our fitness center, both open 24 hours.

I appreciate your concerns about the bartender and will address it immediately. Our W xyz bar provides over 70 different types of liquors, liquers, wine varietals and both domestic and imported beers. Please let me know if you have any special requests and we will do our best to have it in stock on your next visit.

Again, thank you for your comments and I hope you will give us another try on your next visit to the Charleston area.

(843) 566-7300

Been to Aloft Charleston? Share your experiences!