“Poor Guest Service and Communication” 1 of 5 stars

Save up to 15% Book Early
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Newberry
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
“Poor Guest Service and Communication”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

I had booked at this hotel from a Monday through Saturday morning for work. Toward the end of the week, it looked like I might be able to leave on Friday afternoon and not use the last night of my reservation. Thursday evening and Friday morning, I spoke with front desk people explaining the situation in detail that I may not need to use the final night. I even went as far as showing the morning person on Friday that I had my luggage with me in case I didn't come back. Neither one bothered to tell me that, unless I told them by 11am, I would be charged. This was never brought up. I then called the hotel on Friday afternoon around 4pm to let them know I wouldn't need it. It again was not brought up that I would be charged for the room. Since that time, I have spoken with the GM who refuses to credit this last room for me, even though it was a lack of communication by her staff. In addition, every time I came back from somewhere in the evenings, the night front desk person was on her cell phone in front of the hotel, smoking a cigarette. Very unprofessional. I would not stay here again if you paid me!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Cynthia V, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Newberry Opera House, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
We thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us as we value your opinion. We are glad you enjoyed your stay but we are deeply sorry that the check out procedure was not handled as well as it could have been. Front Desk tried to honor your reservation when you were unsure of your departure time and hold your room for you until you knew what your travel plans were going to be since we were sold out. If they had checked you out early and you needed that room and it was already sold and we were sold out it would have been disheartening for all to not be able to accommodate you. Front Desk should have reminded and clarified for you even though you are a Diamond Member and travel quite a bit that if you were going to check out later that afternoon you would still pay for the night if it was after the 11am check out time. In the personal letter the General Manager sent to you she tried to express that her front desk staff was trying to honor your stay until they knew you were definitely checking out. We appreciate you making it Hampton and wish you the best in all your travels.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Augusta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

My husband and I went to Newberry Opera House for 2 concerts and the Hampton Inn is just across the street. It is very convenient to everything. They are remodeling the lobby area, but it was not an inconvenience and the staff was more than willing to get us a room for the second night on short notice. It was very nice and I love the rule of clean linens even the duvet cover.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Thank you for making it Hampton and staying with us. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay and the convenience of being across from the Opera House. We appreciate your understanding of the lobby renovations and that we are working to provide a more functional environment for all of our guests and their needs. The staff, General Manager and I invite you to come back and visit with us and see the lobby after it is completed. Thank you for sharing your experience with us and travel safely.
Roan Mountain, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Will diffidently stay there next year on my travels. No negative comments at all only very positive ones!! The location was excellent for my business needs. The hotel was under construction....no problems at all like you would expect..no dust or noise...My stay was truly a great experience and would recommend to my friend's....A+ from me and my group!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback on your stay with us. We appreciate your understanding of the lobby renovations and hope your travels will bring you here again to see it completed. We are so glad to hear that our hotel was accommodating for your group and all of your business needs. As a staff we appreciate the A+ comment and we think you and your group deserve A+ service and we are glad that we delivered that for you. We hope you can come again for business or to catch one of our shows at the Opera House. From all of us here at the Hampton Inn; travel safe.
Aiken, SC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

If there weren't ongoing renovations, I would have rated Excellent. (But don't let that keep you from staying here - the renovations are not intrusive, and mostly in the lobby area.) The location is perfect for anyone experiencing the Newberry Opera House, or the downtown area. Our family (4 generations!) stayed here during the South Carolina Elvis Festival. What a great convenience to be able to walk across the street to the main venue, and just down the street for the minor venues and parties! Staff was friendly and welcoming. The breakfast was fine, with a good selection. As always at Hampton Inn, our rooms were clean and comfortable. I can't wait to see the renovations when they're done!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
On behalf of the staff and General Manager we thank you for the opportunity to accommodate your overnight needs while here for the wonderful Elvis Festival event. We are so glad that you enjoyed the event and received excellent service from our staff. We appreciate your understanding of the lobby renovations and it would be an honor and a privilege to have you come again and share your feedback on the final completion of the lobby. Travel safely and thank you for making it Hampton!
Newberry, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

We waited 20 minutes at 10 am to check out and to confirm our next stay in Newberry at the end of the month. We finally decided to leave. Staff member arrived as we were leaving carrying a very full plate of food.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

The General Manager and I appreciate your feedback. We apologize for any wait you had while trying to check in. Sometimes, our staff must step away from the counter to assist other guests. We value your feedback and incorporated it into a brief meeting with front desk as a reminder when stepping away from the desk for any reason to make sure they handle a situation as quickly as possible and leave a sign that they are assisting in another location and will return soon. We understand that the renovations are an inconvenience but we hope that our guest will be understanding that as a hotel we are bringing our lobby up to date to create a functional environment for all of our guest. We would love to have you stay with us again when your travels bring you to Newberry. The entire staff would like to say thank you for choosing to stay with us and allowing them the opportunity to serve you and as you travel we wish you safe travels.
Orlando, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

I had to wait several minutes during check in for someone to arrive to help me. My toilet was not working so I fixed it myself. Construction is ongoing so be aware. The breakfast was fine with enough choices for the kids. This location is a few miles off of the highway so I will look for another hotel closer next time.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Cynthia V, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Newberry Opera House, responded to this review, September 7, 2013
On behalf of the General Manager and myself we appreciate your feedback as your thoughts are very important to us. We sincerely apologize that the front desk clerk may have been assisting another guest in the hotel and had to step away from the desk for a minute and you had to wait to check in. We have recently hired a Houseman to help assist with such needs. We understand how renovations can be a inconvenience and we look forward to the completion so our lobby will be more accommodating and enjoyable to all guest. We appreciate all of your concerns and the compliments of breakfast as we believe a variety of options is beneficial and important that all guests start their day off right with a great hot breakfast. Our home is your home away from home and we would love to have you stay again and come see the new perfect mix lobby. Safe travels to you and your family and thank you for making it Hampton while you were here in Newberry, SC.
Melbourne Beach, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Room was very comfortable and staff extremely helpful and friendly. Food in breakfast area was delicious. Thankyou Hampton Inn for a pleasant stay in a great location. The welcome bag of cookies was a nice treat. We were in Newberry for a family member's wedding and the location chosen for the reception was within walking distance.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

We are so glad that your travels brought you to us and that you had a wonderful experience. We are so glad you had the opportunity to be a part of the new journey your Granddaughter was beginning and be a part of all the wedding festivities. If you are in the area again, stop on in and enjoy some fresh baked cookies with us.

Been to Hampton Inn Newberry Opera House? Share your experiences!