“Pictures are deceiving.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Blue

You added Hotel Blue to your Saves list
Hotel Blue
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   705 S Ocean Blvd, Myrtle Beach, SC 29577 (Formerly Tropical Winds)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Up To 50% Off Winter!
Ranked #106 of 215 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
GRANTSVILLE
“Pictures are deceiving.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

I booked my room after researching many hotels. Their pictures on their website looks great and the rooms look clean! When I checked in I became skeptical just from the front desk. Then we get to the room and I was very disappointed! We couldn't take our shoes off bc the carpet was so nasty our feet turned black. The couch had stains on them and there was mold on the curtain above the air conditioner. They are the only hotel in Myrtle Beach that has the swim up bar and I know why. People puke in the pool and they don't clean it up. Needless to say I won't be taking my family there to vacation there again!

• Stayed June 2014
HotelBlueManager, Manager at Hotel Blue, responded to this review, September 23, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor. We would like to apologize for any issues you had while staying with us. We take guest satisfaction very seriously. Comments and feedback such as yours are hard to hear, but vital to our continued success and improvements and for that we thank you. Your business is greatly appreciated and we ask that you consider a future visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
Winston Salem, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

I read some reviews for this hotel before booking so I was somewhat apprehensive about what we would find once we had checked in, but I must say, it wasn't a bad stay. The bed definitely was a low point (it was a mattress sitting on a wooden board, who does that?) but we were told at check-out they are in the process of getting new beds. That's a good thing! The staff at this hotel are exceptional and beyond compare. We've stayed in a lot of hotels over the years and this staff is far and above any we've encountered. They were friendly, warm, accommodating, efficient, and knowledgeable. Our room was clean and the hotel itself was clean. We had an oceanfront king room and it was very roomy. The bathroom was roomy as well. We spent some time in the whirlpool and watched every morning we were there the process of cleaning the pool and whirlpool. The staff put forth great effort in cleaning the pool and removing sand left by visitors the day before. In actuality the staff helped us to give the hotel such high marks. Parking wasn't an issue for us and although there isn't a restaurant on site, we were able to go to the sister resort to eat if we wanted. When heading to Myrtle Beach again, we will definitely consider staying at Hotel Blue. (But we'll make sure they've gotten new beds! LOL)

Room Tip: Make sure your bed is not a mattress sitting on a board!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for posting such a wonderful review for us. We are so excited that you enjoyed your stay. We strive to do our very best and our glad it shows. We will be passing your comments onto the staff today in our meeting. We hope to see you again next time you come to the beach.
Sandusky,Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014 via mobile

We vacationed here July 24th through the 29th. We were very skeptical to stay hear after reading all the bad reviews. All I can say is try it for yourself ! We were pleasantly surprised upon arrival. Was it the Hilton , no but we were never expecting that going in. The lobby is small with a bar and a Starbucks . The room was very clean and updated we stayed in room 916 ocean front the view is beautiful ! The staff was amazing very polite and accommodating never had an issue with them. The halls and elevators could use a little TLC but are bearable. The pool was always clean and the pool bar bartenders are awesome ! Also very easy access to the beach. We did get to experience the Sunday pool party ... It does bring in a very young crowd ! If your not looking for a fun energetic atmosphere look elsewhere. I am 32 my husband 37 and we loved it. Would I bring my children to this hotel ?? No but the sister property captains Quarters I most definitely would. With all this being said would I choose hotel blue again ? Absolutely ! I hope that everyone has an open mind and doesn't take all the ridiculous reviews to seriously ! All I can say is try it for yourself you may be pleasantly surprised ! Thanks Hotel Blue and staff for giving us a great vacation !

• Stayed July 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to post such an awesome review. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We thank you for your kind words on the staff and will pass that along to them in the meeting today. We hope to see you very soon.
Newton, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014 via mobile

Will never stay at Hotel Blue again! I made reservations 3 months in advance for a double oceanview suite that accommodates 6 people, and was told if space available I would be given 2 parking passes. I counted many empty rooms and parking spaces daily, but still had to pay to park one vehicle for 5 days on side of road. Outside of rooms very nasty and run down. Inside of rooms the furniture was stained and dirty. I had to spread sheets on furniture to sit down. Was not at all happy with this motel.

• Stayed July 2014
We would like to thank you for posting a review for us and apologize for any issues you had while staying with us. We do only allow 1 parking pass per room as we have 15 floors and only 8 of garage floors. We want to ensure that all reservations have a parking space no matter what time of arrival. Comments and feedback such as yours are painful to hear, but vital to our continued success and improvement as a resort. Through these hard knocks, we have an oportunity to grow and become better and for that we thank you.
Jacksonville, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

This hotel was nasty! I have no idea where the good reviews come from! The lobby looks half finished. The bar was right when you walk in, seems kind of awkwardly laid out, and was not what it was talked up to be. The bartender was sitting on the counter in short shorts and was rude! The elevators felt like they were about to snap. The week before I was there, the elevators went out and people had to walk up 14 flights of stairs! The carpets and doors were FILTHY! The rooms were pretty much just hideous and had mold everywhere! There were flies coming from the oven and AC. We left after the first day and went down the street to a lovely hotel. The staff was also not understanding at all! They were rude and in denial about the awful conditions of the hotel. And if you have kids, do not stay on Sundays or Wednesdays. The pool gets super crowded because they let anyone in. The music is also very loud and annoying on these days. No one should waste their money on this hotel!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
We would like to thank you for taking a moment to comment on Trip Advisor. We would like to apologize for any inconveniences caused by the less than standard experience you had during your visit. We take guest satisfaction very serious. We hope that you will return to see all the changes in the future.
Winston Salem, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

The weekend of Good Friday April 2014. This hotel has an awesome pool with a pool bar. The room we had was decent. I didn't care for the painted over brick walls. Our phone signal wasn't too good in the room. Staff was great. Housekeeping wasn't a problem and the bartender was very sociable. This hotel has sister hotels so we were able to go to them with no problem to partake in things the Hotel Blue did not have.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your comments on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your kind words and we hope to welcome you back to see us again very soon.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed for five days and honestly it is not the best hotel and it is definitely not the best. Over all the hotel is okay. We had an ocean front room and the view was amazing. The pool bar and atmosphere was fun and we enjoyed it. Our biggest complaint was the elevators were broke half the time when we stayed and the bed was kind of hard..but for a decent price you can't expect everything to be perfect. Okay experience.

Also, my boyfriend and I would spend a couple nights at the outside bar at the hotel right beside hotel blue. They have karaoke some nights and it was a chill way spend the night.

Stayed July 2014
We would like to thank you for posting a review for us and apologize for any issues you had while staying with us. We strive hard to do our very best and hope our guest have a great vacation. We are glad that you liked the bar and views..We hope that you will stay with us in the future.

Been to Hotel Blue? Share your experiences!