“Pizza and a view” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #80 of 214 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Columbus, OH
“Pizza and a view”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

My sister and I stay on this property every year for the month of October. It may be on the elderly side with a lot of age showing, but It is clean, well maintained, and the ocean is open. One of the little known things about Tropical Seas is the pizza resturant on the second floor. Although there is not a place to sit and eat, their pizza is exceptional.

Room Tip: Stay above the first floor. Otherwise you view is the pool and the decking area.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Robin T, General Manager at Tropical Seas Hotel, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay at Tropical Seas. Thank you for taking the time to share with everyone about your stay. We'll see you next October.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Florence, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

My name is June Trotter and I stayed at the Tropical Seas in August of this year with my 20 year old grandaughter and her two cousins my 8 yr old and14 month old grandaughters and we had a lovely time the staff were curtious and our room was on the first floor as you enter the front doors our balcony was in between the pooland the hot tub. It was always clean, our rooms were always clean,the girls at the front desk always grabbed my youngest when she would get loose. we ate from the resturant several times the food was fresh pizza was very good. I have recommendedthis hotel to family and friends. They also enjoyed their stay. We plan to stay there for our vacation next summer.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Robin T, General Manager at Tropical Seas Hotel, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
We are so glad you decided to stay with us and that you truly enjoyed your vacation. Thank you for taking the time to share with everyone about your stay. We really appreciate it and look forward to seeing you in 2013!
Morristown, Tennessee, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

i had stayed here and i really liked in in june and came back to stay at the viking and not as good so from now own when we stay at the beach we will staying here loved it. the viking was bad had condoms behind the fridge. and the tropical seas was great. not right in the middle of everything so not alot of car it waS GREAT.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Robin T, General Manager at Tropical Seas Hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at Tropical Seas. It is rare that people mention the positive. I'm happy to hear you had a great time and glad you will be returning to visit. We look forward to our repeat guests every year, alot become family to us! Thanks again.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

We had stayed here seven years ago so when i got an email frome them i was like yeah we can rent a room for labor day weekend we checked in friday night and it was late we notice the hall was nasty and smelled so bad that should have be the key to run but it was late and we were tired the next day when we woke up we seen the real room the bathroom was so nasty looked like it has not been clean in a very long time the kitchen looked nothing like on there web site and ipen the microwave and almost passed out from the smell and it was so rusted then went out on the balcony and it smelled like something died out there the air condition was rusted and it was smelling so bad then the kids started screaming went to see and was the biggest roach i ever seen to it to the front desk and the say the will spray then no one didnt come clean up and they left us some towels on the toilet but left the trash called down stairs and they said housekeeping leaves a 3 but you can take the trash and put in the trash yourself that was it went downstair and gave them my complaints she was nice but were not getting anywhere so i told her to have manage get in touch with me as soon as they got there but no one did so i went done there she tried to tell me that the roach was a bed bug and i said that worse then a roach then she said she didnt mean a bedbug but a palmetto bug not a roach but i looked it up and it is a flying roach they can call it whatever the want but it is a roach and she didnt kniw the room was not clean and she would talk to her staff we went out and came back they had put a new microwave and had cleaned up the room bur this was all done the last night and we could not understand why it took so long we got the kitchen to save money but never used it because of the poor condition of the roomwasted 340.00 on the room just to be scare of taking bugs home and didnt want to use anything in the room becauseit was just nasty run from this hotel dont stay unless you dont care where you and your family stay

• Stayed September 2012
Robin T, General Manager at Tropical Seas Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
It is very disappointing that your room was not as it should have been. Thanks for informing my staff of the problems during your stay. I'm glad to hear your issues were addressed while you were still staying with us. I'm interested in where you saw the picture of the kitchen. The only picture of a kitchen we have on the Tropical Seas web sight is of the Penthouse. I apologize for any incomvenience this may have caused you. I hope in the future you will give us another chance to leave a positive impression.
Lynchburg, Virginia, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Hotel staff was great. The hotel was in a very good location about 2 minutes from the boardwalk, but secluded enough down the beach where it wasnt crowded. We were told we were able to use the pools in the hotel next door which were nicer with a lazy river, but crowded. It was nice to be able go back to the smaller less crowded pool. The room was not great, a little old and smelled of smoke, but the staff helped take care of the smell and we didnt spend much time in the room anyway.

BRING POWER STRIP, there were not enough plugs in the room to charge all 3 guests phones and keep the lights and fridge on

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
I'm sorry your room smelled like smoke but I'm glad to hear my staff handled the situation for you. We have both smoking and non-smoking rooms here. I know our property is old but we continue to make improvements each day. Thank you for taking the time to share with everyone about your stay. I'm glad you decided to stay with us and hope to see you in the future.
Windber, Pennsylvania, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

A friend recommended this hotel to us. When we first arrived, they tried a little number on us by charging us more then our email confirmation price. The building stunk of mold. Upon arrival to our room, the kitchen was a nightmare. The microwave smelled of smoke when you used it. I wouldn't even think of using the apartment sized stove. The blankets smelled like cigar smoke. Then to top it all off, we had to chase cockroaches. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: We chose the oceanfront efficiency and it was horrible. I wouldn't choose any.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Robin T, General Manager at Tropical Seas Hotel, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. I have addressed housekeeping and our professional pest control company already. Thank you for making me aware of the areas I need to focus on.
Windber, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

after a long trip to get there they tried to pull a bait and switch.( Confirm cost with a email from them then when you get there they tell you you owe more.) Later on that night my wife and i saw something crawling up the wall. It was huge! I called down to report that i saw a roach and the lady down played it by saying it was a palmetto bug... funny thing they are a larger species of American cockroach. For the couple nights we were there we were constantly on edge worrying about if we would see another one. I am giving this hotel a poor rating because rooms were dirty the balcony is in need of repair , there bug problem , and how clean there pools are. Wife and i wanted to go swimming looked at pools and looked at each other and said " are you kidding me?"This is one hotel along the grand strand I would never use again. On a personal note do not order take out food from the hotel or anywhere around it ... we ended up throwing away 50 dollars worth of food.. It was just pure nasty... .... Disappointed

Room Tip: avoid this hotel .... another down side to this hotel is its location its so far south that you are...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Robin T, General Manager at Tropical Seas Hotel, responded to this review, September 2, 2012
I apologize for the rate difference at check-in. There was a computer glitch with your rate which was handled by the office manager at time of check-in. Although computers aren't always accurate, you were given the rate quoted. I'm sorry for the Palmetto bug, most people from the north don't know about these bugs b/c they like the humid weather that the southern states have. Texas calles them a water bug. Please know I have already addressed housekeeping and the professional pest control company we use to take steps in preventing this from happening again in the future. I appreciate your comment.

Been to Tropical Seas Hotel? Share your experiences!