“not bad” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #79 of 214 hotels in Myrtle Beach
Lynchburg, Virginia, United States
“not bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Hotel staff was great. The hotel was in a very good location about 2 minutes from the boardwalk, but secluded enough down the beach where it wasnt crowded. We were told we were able to use the pools in the hotel next door which were nicer with a lazy river, but crowded. It was nice to be able go back to the smaller less crowded pool. The room was not great, a little old and smelled of smoke, but the staff helped take care of the smell and we didnt spend much time in the room anyway.

BRING POWER STRIP, there were not enough plugs in the room to charge all 3 guests phones and keep the lights and fridge on

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Robin T, General Manager at Tropical Seas Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
I'm sorry your room smelled like smoke but I'm glad to hear my staff handled the situation for you. We have both smoking and non-smoking rooms here. I know our property is old but we continue to make improvements each day. Thank you for taking the time to share with everyone about your stay. I'm glad you decided to stay with us and hope to see you in the future.

127 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Windber, Pennsylvania, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

A friend recommended this hotel to us. When we first arrived, they tried a little number on us by charging us more then our email confirmation price. The building stunk of mold. Upon arrival to our room, the kitchen was a nightmare. The microwave smelled of smoke when you used it. I wouldn't even think of using the apartment sized stove. The blankets smelled like cigar smoke. Then to top it all off, we had to chase cockroaches. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: We chose the oceanfront efficiency and it was horrible. I wouldn't choose any.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Robin T, General Manager at Tropical Seas Hotel, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. I have addressed housekeeping and our professional pest control company already. Thank you for making me aware of the areas I need to focus on.
Windber, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

after a long trip to get there they tried to pull a bait and switch.( Confirm cost with a email from them then when you get there they tell you you owe more.) Later on that night my wife and i saw something crawling up the wall. It was huge! I called down to report that i saw a roach and the lady down played it by saying it was a palmetto bug... funny thing they are a larger species of American cockroach. For the couple nights we were there we were constantly on edge worrying about if we would see another one. I am giving this hotel a poor rating because rooms were dirty the balcony is in need of repair , there bug problem , and how clean there pools are. Wife and i wanted to go swimming looked at pools and looked at each other and said " are you kidding me?"This is one hotel along the grand strand I would never use again. On a personal note do not order take out food from the hotel or anywhere around it ... we ended up throwing away 50 dollars worth of food.. It was just pure nasty... .... Disappointed

Room Tip: avoid this hotel .... another down side to this hotel is its location its so far south that you are...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Robin T, General Manager at Tropical Seas Hotel, responded to this review, September 2, 2012
I apologize for the rate difference at check-in. There was a computer glitch with your rate which was handled by the office manager at time of check-in. Although computers aren't always accurate, you were given the rate quoted. I'm sorry for the Palmetto bug, most people from the north don't know about these bugs b/c they like the humid weather that the southern states have. Texas calles them a water bug. Please know I have already addressed housekeeping and the professional pest control company we use to take steps in preventing this from happening again in the future. I appreciate your comment.
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

We have been going their for years. This was our last time. Room was dirty. The sheets were not changed from the last guesses. We slept there that night not knowing the sheets were not changed. When we woke up in the morning we notice dirt in the sheets. We asked to have the sheets changed, when we went out for breakfast. When we came back in about two hours , it was not done. We spoke to the manager and the housekeeping manager in the lobby, to complain. When two other couples were waiting to speak to them as well. They were there for two and three days, and also were trying to get the sheets changed. After an argument we were able to checked out, and went back to our room to pack, when we ran into the housekeeper who the housekeeping manager, said she told to change the sheets an hour ago. When we asked if she was told, she said she was not. All she had was new towels. I would not recommend this motel. It use to be a great place. We ended up at the Best Western about a eight of a mile down the road. We had a great vacation from that point on. They were able, after hearing our story, to check us in for 12:30PM, instead of 3PM, so we could enjoy the rest of the day on the beach. ( Aug. 12th, 2012)

Room Tip: Best Western Plus, down the strip
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
I am so sorry that this was your experience. I am not sure why your room had the housekeeping issues it did but I will be sure to address this with my staff to prevent it from happening again.
Kingsport, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

My husband and I needed a plain hotel room for a cheap price to get us through two nights while we were in town for a wedding. We reserved a basic oceanfront room, with what was supposed to be 2 queen beds which were only full.. supposed to be a kitchenette which turned out to be a very old microwave and a mini fridge which was so old the door would barely open and the shelves inside were rusty. The two beds had brown stains on the boxsprings and the mattresses. At least the sheets were clean. The bathroom was ok. The shower worked, had hot water, the toilet flushed, the sink worked.. not much to say about it. The door to the balcony did not have a lock. Instead it had an old stick lock you had to remove each time. The luggage carts are old shopping carts from grocery stores.. no kidding!! Yes the staff was friendly (the one lady we ever talked to) but she doesn't make up for the way the room was. We have both stayed in Myrtle Beach several times throughout the years and had never stayed here.. We will never stay here again!

Room Tip: Interior rooms aren't worth the price.. go with an oceanfront room.. do not stay on the ground o...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Robin T, General Manager at Tropical Seas Hotel, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
I'm sorry if you misunderstood. The basic oceanfront room you reserved was a double. This room has 2 double beds and a small refrigerator. We don't have any rooms with queen beds. This room shouldn't have had a microwave in it. Only the efficiencies have them. I apologize for the lock on your balcony not working. Each sliding glass door has a lock and charlie bar to keep the balconies safe. Again I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused and hope you will give Tropical Seas another chance.
Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

My family and I stayed at the Tropical Seas from August 9 - 12 , I was skeptical about staying here after the bad reviews some folks left, but I decided to give them a try. The staff upon arrival Bobbie and Alysa were very nice, Alysa even printed out coupons for a local restaurant for me. The room was better then we thought it would be . Although this is an older hotel it had an oceanview, was clean , no bedbugs, we had use of the 3 pools next door at the Crown Reef and the ropical Seas also had 2 pools which were cleaned daily. The only con is they have only one elevator, no big deal though. The day mangers Stephanie and Jo were very nice and anything we needed was taken care of right away. one particular instance was one of the thunderstorms blem one of the balcony's light right of the wall and had broken glass everywhere, Maintenance came up right away and replaced the light fixture and cleaned up. I really enjoyed myself because The hotel sits on the south end which is less chaotic. Less drama less noise except for the airport nearby which was not a proble. I will be going basck next year. Don't believe some of the negative responses, I mean its not the Ritz Carlton but it is family friendly.

Room Tip: Higher up is always better and oceanfront view Kingsuite.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you. It's so nice to hear positive remarks about Tropical Seas. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you the next time you are in Myrtle Beach.
Beckley, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

The Tropical Seas is an older hotel and in need of a makeover, but the staff are all very nice and courteous. Our room was clean and had NO BUGS! We had an ocean front room which we enjoyed. Though the hotel is close to the airport, none of that noise could be heard in the rooms. The pools were nice and it was great to have access to the additional pools at the Crown Reef next door. I didn't mind having an actual key to the room, it was actually easier to keep up with than a card. This is the best bargain we have found and we will probably return.

Room Tip: Higher floors are always better in my book. Go for ocean front with this hotel you can actually aff...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thanks for the great comment. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us. The staff at Tropical Seas looks forward to our repeat guests year after year and would love to welcome you in that bunch!

Been to Tropical Seas Hotel? Share your experiences!