“So disappointing...” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #94 of 215 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
AUGUSTA GA
“So disappointing...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

I booked this hotel based on the price and available amenities for an ocean front room in Myrtle Beach. Allow me to say that I DID NOT expect this to be a 5 star resort and was totally prepared for outdated furniture, slow elevators, and everything else an older beach hotel might offer. I have been to Myrtle Beach too many times to count and have stayed at MANY hotels...some great and some not so great. I KNOW about older hotels and was not in anyway going blindly into this one. I read maybe 100 reviews here on TripAdvisor about this hotel prior to booking. I knew I was taking a risk, and I was just crossing my fingers and hoping the positive outweighed the negative. It didn't.

Please remember this review is based on MY experience with this hotel- it is MY opinion of MY experience.

First, the positives. The price was very good for the type of room we got. Unbeatable really. I looked for several days and this was the best price I could find anywhere. I booked directly through the hotel's website. Not sure if I just hit it on the right day or what, but the price went up significantly the day after I made the reservation. The staff was also very nice and accommodating- if not brow beaten. I could tell they were used to be scolded and hassled by the guests. I told one of the employees "thank you for being so nice" and she responded with..."its hard sometimes to be nice when you always have to be ready for people coming at you." I know working in customer service is difficult, but this hotel has so many issues that its almost not fair (if not impossible) for the employees to have to defend it to the guests. I know I could not...so kudos to those people who work here...you earn your paycheck! I can't think of anything else positive, so I will move on to the negatives.

The parking garage is very small and will not hold many vehicles. It is so small I almost could not maneuver my small SUV around in it. It fills up quickly, and the overflow parking is ACROSS THE STREET AND DOWN A BLOCK. This requires crossing a side road and the main road to get back to the hotel. Not great if there is a lot of traffic or if you have small children. The hotel has a restaurant attached to it, I believe it is independently owned, but nonetheless, it is still housed within the hotel and is an offered amenity. We ate pizza at Makos the first night and sandwiches from there the last day for lunch. The food is fresh and is OK. I would suggest calling and getting it to go though. It does not have comfortable tables or a dine in friendly atmosphere in my opinion. Ok, back to the hotel. I was able to get past the shabby furniture, old tv sets (with few channels and poor reception), and cosmetic damage in the bathrooms, carpet, etc.-However, I could NOT get past the abundance...and I do mean an ABUNDANCE of smoke and strong odors in our room and throughout the building. We had a non-smoking room. That is truly a misnomer in this hotel. There is no such thing. The vent in our bathroom pipped smoke into our room daily from another rooms bathroom. We could not sit on the balcony for smoke blowing in our faces from adjoining balconies. We could not sit by the pool for the smoke. We could not sit on the beach for the smoke! There was NO WHERE you could go to escape the smoke! I would say if you are a smoker, you may enjoy this hotel. It is definitely smoke friendly. Our room reeked of old smoke and a musty, mold smell the entire time. The room had an overall dirty feel to it and was just not what most people would find relaxing and comfortable. The air conditioners were cold, but blew out a stench smell as well. The refrigerator never really got cold and smelled like one that had been closed up and unplugged for a long time.

If the things I mentioned above don't bother you, and you are on a budget...this might be a great place for you to stay. I will never stay here again. It was not worth the money I saved to have had such a negative experience. I would have preferred to stay home than to vacation here. We did not leave the hotel in search of another room because we just didn't have any more money to spend on a better place. We budgeted our vacation around this hotel, took a gamble and lost.

Let me also say that at no time did we complain to management about our issues. What would be the point? The place is what it is. There is truly nothing tje manager could have done to make things better for us. Poor guy. This hotel needs to be updated and some of the money it makes needs to be spent on improvements before it ends up being torn down due to being dilapidated. I'm sure in its day it was a beautiful place, and could be again if someone cared about it enough to fix it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Reef2101, Manager at The Reef at South Beach, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear HatinAugusta,
Thank you for being a guest of The Reef Myrtle Beach. We regret that you were disappointed in your stay. The Reef isn't the right fit for every guest. As we have noted throughout TripAdvisor, the hotel is not a new property, and does not offer the amenities that new oceanfront properties have available. We appreciated you noting that the rates were on value for an oceanfront location. Maintenance and renovations are always an ongoing process and improvements are constantly being made. Again, we are sorry that you were disappointed in the accommodations.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
va.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

All I can say is For the $$ it cant be beat. We have no complaints really...beautiful ocean view from my balcony and activities by the pool everyday.Plus we can use the pools and lazy river next door.The staff has been friendly.We are staying 3 more nights and are satisfied with our accomodations. The pools are huge. The balcony is a little small-but who cares? I think the bad reviews came from people who were expecting a 5 star brand new place.Maybe they should have paid 5 star brand new place prices. We booked for the affordability factor due to the fact we have a physically challeneged daughter and lots of medical bills. We are totally satisfied with the room and the staff. Thank you.

Room Tip: Remember that this place isn't brand spankin new.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for being our guest and for taking the time to write a review of your experience. We are glad that you enjoyed your time at the beautiful Grand Strand and hope that you can return real soon. Best wishes to your daughter!
Brush Creek, TN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Not a 5 star resort, but all in all we had a pleasant experience! My one complaint about the hotel is the lack of clocks. There were no clocks in our room, we had to set the clock on the microwave to have a time. We didn't like taking our phones to the beach or pool so we had no way of knowing what time it was because there were no clocks posted outside either. The rooms are outdated and a bit old, but for the price, it wasn't bad. The elevators took a little while at times but it is a hotel with 12 floors so you kind of expect them to take a few minutes to get to you. The staff was extremely nice and helpful giving us directions and recommendations on where to shop, eat and play! I have read a lot of bad review about this hotel and I admit, I had my doubts about it, but we will definitely stay here again! They had poolside activities everyday, unless it rained, which made it fun for everyone who was poolside! Not many TV channels, but who needs TV when you have the Atlantic ocean right out your door? We stayed 6 days and our one big complaint was having no clocks!!!! I think that is a huge win for our family vacation. A heads up if you have never been to Myrtle Beach, they roads driving there are HORRID and people cannot drive! We almost got hit twice by people who apparently can't drive and look before they merge over and we seen a wreck happen right in front of us, so be cautious of other drivers, because they are not very aware of other people surrounding them!

Room Tip: Get a bottom floor if you expect to get anywhere fast and bring your own clock :)
Dear MisKeen,
Thank you for visiting Myrtle Beach and staying at our oceanfront hotel. We are glad that you enjoyed your vacation and hope that you will return again soon. Not so long ago, the majority of us were wearing watches and waking up to alarm clocks. I guess as a society of cell phone carriers, we are somewhat drifting away from those digital clocks. We appreciated your business, and thank you for taking the time to write a review of your experience.
Zenith, West Virginia, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

To start with I just want to say my husband and I stayed at this resort 19 years ago (my first trip to Myrtle Beach) and it was wonderful. I wish I could say that this time. We did arrive early and they allowed us to check in early. This is the only good part of this place I can report. The room was very old with torn carpet, moldy bathroom and mold was on the air conditioner unit. House keeping did clean the air conditioner unit when ask. The next problem was I was taking a shower and discovered that the washcloth I was using was dirty. I was told by the house keeping supervisor that they were stained-that made me feel a lot better. We had 6 people in the room and were only left 4 towels at a time. The bathroom smelled terrible the whole time, the fan did not work in the bathroom. We hardly received any kind of appoligy at all. Also on the day we were due to have cleaning of our room, we were told the vaccum was broke and could not vaccum the floor. The room was very dark and crowed. We did have a great view of the ocean, but that was one of the very few pluses of the place. I recently stayed at a double tree Hilton in Orlando during spring break and paid the same as this place. Had a great time at Myrtle Beach overall, but the room was terrible.

Dear AnnB,
We are sorry that you were not happy with the accommodations of the Reef at Myrtle Beach South Beach. Please know that we take the feedback seriously. Our laundry chemicals are provided by Eco-Lab, a leading commercial laundry chemical company. The hotel follows best hotel practices for sorting, dispensing proper chemicals and for the drying of linen. I apologize that a stained wash cloth that had been properly washed, was not removed from rotation. It should have been placed in the cleaning rag bag receptacle. We realize that the Reef is not the right fit for every guest. For guest's seeking a franchised hotel, or a new oceanfront hotel, we are not the right fit. We hope that you enjoy the rest of your summer and return to Myrtle Beach again.
pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Overall, it was a good deal for the money. It was a little outdated and the room did smell a little, but it was oceanfront and very affordable (and as far as I'm concerned, if I'm at the beach, I'm not spending much time in the hotel, so who cares?). There was entertainment by the pool everyday, and the employees were very friendly and accommodating.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reef2101, Manager at The Reef at South Beach, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear Pat W,
Thank you for staying at the Reef and for recognizing our staff for their friendliness and guest service efforts. We also appreciated that you mentioned our oceanfront location and proximity to the beach. We apologize that there was an odor in your room, and we will check to make sure that housekeeping staff members are not over saturating the room freshener, which when overused can cause an unpleasant smell. Thanks again, and we hope to see you again soon!
Detroit, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

My family and I stayed here on our annual vacation and we were not happy at all. My room smelled of mildew and the blankets on the bed smelled of urine. There were 5 of us in a room but we were never given enough towels and when we finally found a housekeeper, we were told that there were NO towels available. We went to the front desk and were told that they did not have any towels and were unsure when housekeeping would be able to provide any. When they did come with towels, they would only give us 3 sets of towels and washcloths. The rooms were extremely outdated and the sofa bed had no linen, no blankets, and no pillows. The elevators took up to 15 minutes most times to come so we had to resort to taking the stairs. I have a physically-challenged son so this was very disappointing. The best part of this hotel is the pool area and Makos. Being a travel agent, I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Dear Vette B,
We apologize that you were unhappy with the accommodations at the Reef. Our company operates several hotels and oceanfront resorts, and best hotel practices and associate training is in place for room cleanliness and laundry. Again, we apologize that we did not meet your standards.
Mooresville, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

This was our 3rd time staying at The Reef. For the price, this place is pretty hard to beat. We had booked a 2 bedroom unit. It was nice. Had enough room for 4 adults and 2 kids. Having a full kitchen was nice. My only complaint about the room was that there was a wall lamp mounted right next to the bed in one of the bedrooms right by the pillow. Very odd place and I kept hitting it at night. Other than that, no real problems.

Another review someone commented on the housekeeping service. In our room it said that daily housekeeping only consists of fresh towels and garbage removal. Full cleaning was I think once a week. Which is fine. We are capable of making our own bed and cleaning up after ourselves.

Elevators were very slow and backed up. Luckily we were only on the 3rd floor so we just used the steps. Might be a good tip that if you travel during peak season, request a room on a lower floor and skip the elevator.

Please remember this is an older resort. There are some issues but for the most part everything was clean and worked well. The staff was very friendly.

One huge plus is Mako's Bar and Grill. They have very good food. It is a burger type place, so if you want a great burger, chicken strips, etc. This is a great place to go for a very good price.

All in all we had a very nice time and will be back again in September for a weekend.

Room Tip: During busy times, book a room no higher than the 4th floor and use the steps instead of the elevato...
Dear BrownHP,
Thank you for being a repeat guest of The Reef Myrtle Beach. We truly appreciate your business. Your review was helpful in letting TripAdvisor readers know that we offer light housekeeping, and only offer full cleaning one time during the stay. We hope that you enjoy the rest of your summer and that we see you again soon!

Been to The Reef at South Beach? Share your experiences!