I booked this hotel based on the price and available amenities for an ocean front room in Myrtle Beach. Allow me to say that I DID NOT expect this to be a 5 star resort and was totally prepared for outdated furniture, slow elevators, and everything else an older beach hotel might offer. I have been to Myrtle Beach too many times to count and have stayed at MANY hotels...some great and some not so great. I KNOW about older hotels and was not in anyway going blindly into this one. I read maybe 100 reviews here on TripAdvisor about this hotel prior to booking. I knew I was taking a risk, and I was just crossing my fingers and hoping the positive outweighed the negative. It didn't.
Please remember this review is based on MY experience with this hotel- it is MY opinion of MY experience.
First, the positives. The price was very good for the type of room we got. Unbeatable really. I looked for several days and this was the best price I could find anywhere. I booked directly through the hotel's website. Not sure if I just hit it on the right day or what, but the price went up significantly the day after I made the reservation. The staff was also very nice and accommodating- if not brow beaten. I could tell they were used to be scolded and hassled by the guests. I told one of the employees "thank you for being so nice" and she responded with..."its hard sometimes to be nice when you always have to be ready for people coming at you." I know working in customer service is difficult, but this hotel has so many issues that its almost not fair (if not impossible) for the employees to have to defend it to the guests. I know I could not...so kudos to those people who work here...you earn your paycheck! I can't think of anything else positive, so I will move on to the negatives.
The parking garage is very small and will not hold many vehicles. It is so small I almost could not maneuver my small SUV around in it. It fills up quickly, and the overflow parking is ACROSS THE STREET AND DOWN A BLOCK. This requires crossing a side road and the main road to get back to the hotel. Not great if there is a lot of traffic or if you have small children. The hotel has a restaurant attached to it, I believe it is independently owned, but nonetheless, it is still housed within the hotel and is an offered amenity. We ate pizza at Makos the first night and sandwiches from there the last day for lunch. The food is fresh and is OK. I would suggest calling and getting it to go though. It does not have comfortable tables or a dine in friendly atmosphere in my opinion. Ok, back to the hotel. I was able to get past the shabby furniture, old tv sets (with few channels and poor reception), and cosmetic damage in the bathrooms, carpet, etc.-However, I could NOT get past the abundance...and I do mean an ABUNDANCE of smoke and strong odors in our room and throughout the building. We had a non-smoking room. That is truly a misnomer in this hotel. There is no such thing. The vent in our bathroom pipped smoke into our room daily from another rooms bathroom. We could not sit on the balcony for smoke blowing in our faces from adjoining balconies. We could not sit by the pool for the smoke. We could not sit on the beach for the smoke! There was NO WHERE you could go to escape the smoke! I would say if you are a smoker, you may enjoy this hotel. It is definitely smoke friendly. Our room reeked of old smoke and a musty, mold smell the entire time. The room had an overall dirty feel to it and was just not what most people would find relaxing and comfortable. The air conditioners were cold, but blew out a stench smell as well. The refrigerator never really got cold and smelled like one that had been closed up and unplugged for a long time.
If the things I mentioned above don't bother you, and you are on a budget...this might be a great place for you to stay. I will never stay here again. It was not worth the money I saved to have had such a negative experience. I would have preferred to stay home than to vacation here. We did not leave the hotel in search of another room because we just didn't have any more money to spend on a better place. We budgeted our vacation around this hotel, took a gamble and lost.
Let me also say that at no time did we complain to management about our issues. What would be the point? The place is what it is. There is truly nothing tje manager could have done to make things better for us. Poor guy. This hotel needs to be updated and some of the money it makes needs to be spent on improvements before it ends up being torn down due to being dilapidated. I'm sure in its day it was a beautiful place, and could be again if someone cared about it enough to fix it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- All our suites are oceanfront with a private balcony. Our comfortable well-equipped rooms have kitchens with microwaves, coffee makers and toasters. Our prime location along the grand strand of Myrtle Beach makes area attractions easily accessible. Award winning entertainment and dining surround you. You can shop at the nearby Coastal Grand Mall and newly built Market Commons. Amusement parks and incredible miniature golf courses thrill the young and the young at heart. It's easy to experience all the fun of Myrtle Beach while staying at The Reef. We also sell tickets to many area shows and attractions, packaging is also available! Oceanfront or indoors, The Reef provides a lot of water fun for everyone. Swim from our oceanfront pool to our indoor swimming area. There you will also want to indulge in one our two relaxing whirlpools. There are 1o swim attractions available to you, including a lazy river and large ocean front kiddie pools! Children will enjoy free daily activities during the summer months and their parents will appreciate a night out while the children are entertained by The Reef staff. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com and Tingo so you can book your The Reef at South Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Reef At South Beach Hotel Myrtle Beach
- Reef At South Beach Myrtle
- The Reef Myrtle Beach