“Great for the $$” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #91 of 214 hotels in Myrtle Beach
va.
“Great for the $$”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

All I can say is For the $$ it cant be beat. We have no complaints really...beautiful ocean view from my balcony and activities by the pool everyday.Plus we can use the pools and lazy river next door.The staff has been friendly.We are staying 3 more nights and are satisfied with our accomodations. The pools are huge. The balcony is a little small-but who cares? I think the bad reviews came from people who were expecting a 5 star brand new place.Maybe they should have paid 5 star brand new place prices. We booked for the affordability factor due to the fact we have a physically challeneged daughter and lots of medical bills. We are totally satisfied with the room and the staff. Thank you.

Room Tip: Remember that this place isn't brand spankin new.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Reef2101, Manager at The Reef at South Beach, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Thank you for being our guest and for taking the time to write a review of your experience. We are glad that you enjoyed your time at the beautiful Grand Strand and hope that you can return real soon. Best wishes to your daughter!

340 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Brush Creek, TN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Not a 5 star resort, but all in all we had a pleasant experience! My one complaint about the hotel is the lack of clocks. There were no clocks in our room, we had to set the clock on the microwave to have a time. We didn't like taking our phones to the beach or pool so we had no way of knowing what time it was because there were no clocks posted outside either. The rooms are outdated and a bit old, but for the price, it wasn't bad. The elevators took a little while at times but it is a hotel with 12 floors so you kind of expect them to take a few minutes to get to you. The staff was extremely nice and helpful giving us directions and recommendations on where to shop, eat and play! I have read a lot of bad review about this hotel and I admit, I had my doubts about it, but we will definitely stay here again! They had poolside activities everyday, unless it rained, which made it fun for everyone who was poolside! Not many TV channels, but who needs TV when you have the Atlantic ocean right out your door? We stayed 6 days and our one big complaint was having no clocks!!!! I think that is a huge win for our family vacation. A heads up if you have never been to Myrtle Beach, they roads driving there are HORRID and people cannot drive! We almost got hit twice by people who apparently can't drive and look before they merge over and we seen a wreck happen right in front of us, so be cautious of other drivers, because they are not very aware of other people surrounding them!

Room Tip: Get a bottom floor if you expect to get anywhere fast and bring your own clock :)
Dear MisKeen,
Thank you for visiting Myrtle Beach and staying at our oceanfront hotel. We are glad that you enjoyed your vacation and hope that you will return again soon. Not so long ago, the majority of us were wearing watches and waking up to alarm clocks. I guess as a society of cell phone carriers, we are somewhat drifting away from those digital clocks. We appreciated your business, and thank you for taking the time to write a review of your experience.
Zenith, West Virginia, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

To start with I just want to say my husband and I stayed at this resort 19 years ago (my first trip to Myrtle Beach) and it was wonderful. I wish I could say that this time. We did arrive early and they allowed us to check in early. This is the only good part of this place I can report. The room was very old with torn carpet, moldy bathroom and mold was on the air conditioner unit. House keeping did clean the air conditioner unit when ask. The next problem was I was taking a shower and discovered that the washcloth I was using was dirty. I was told by the house keeping supervisor that they were stained-that made me feel a lot better. We had 6 people in the room and were only left 4 towels at a time. The bathroom smelled terrible the whole time, the fan did not work in the bathroom. We hardly received any kind of appoligy at all. Also on the day we were due to have cleaning of our room, we were told the vaccum was broke and could not vaccum the floor. The room was very dark and crowed. We did have a great view of the ocean, but that was one of the very few pluses of the place. I recently stayed at a double tree Hilton in Orlando during spring break and paid the same as this place. Had a great time at Myrtle Beach overall, but the room was terrible.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear AnnB,
We are sorry that you were not happy with the accommodations of the Reef at Myrtle Beach South Beach. Please know that we take the feedback seriously. Our laundry chemicals are provided by Eco-Lab, a leading commercial laundry chemical company. The hotel follows best hotel practices for sorting, dispensing proper chemicals and for the drying of linen. I apologize that a stained wash cloth that had been properly washed, was not removed from rotation. It should have been placed in the cleaning rag bag receptacle. We realize that the Reef is not the right fit for every guest. For guest's seeking a franchised hotel, or a new oceanfront hotel, we are not the right fit. We hope that you enjoy the rest of your summer and return to Myrtle Beach again.
pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Overall, it was a good deal for the money. It was a little outdated and the room did smell a little, but it was oceanfront and very affordable (and as far as I'm concerned, if I'm at the beach, I'm not spending much time in the hotel, so who cares?). There was entertainment by the pool everyday, and the employees were very friendly and accommodating.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reef2101, Manager at The Reef at South Beach, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear Pat W,
Thank you for staying at the Reef and for recognizing our staff for their friendliness and guest service efforts. We also appreciated that you mentioned our oceanfront location and proximity to the beach. We apologize that there was an odor in your room, and we will check to make sure that housekeeping staff members are not over saturating the room freshener, which when overused can cause an unpleasant smell. Thanks again, and we hope to see you again soon!
Detroit, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

My family and I stayed here on our annual vacation and we were not happy at all. My room smelled of mildew and the blankets on the bed smelled of urine. There were 5 of us in a room but we were never given enough towels and when we finally found a housekeeper, we were told that there were NO towels available. We went to the front desk and were told that they did not have any towels and were unsure when housekeeping would be able to provide any. When they did come with towels, they would only give us 3 sets of towels and washcloths. The rooms were extremely outdated and the sofa bed had no linen, no blankets, and no pillows. The elevators took up to 15 minutes most times to come so we had to resort to taking the stairs. I have a physically-challenged son so this was very disappointing. The best part of this hotel is the pool area and Makos. Being a travel agent, I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Dear Vette B,
We apologize that you were unhappy with the accommodations at the Reef. Our company operates several hotels and oceanfront resorts, and best hotel practices and associate training is in place for room cleanliness and laundry. Again, we apologize that we did not meet your standards.
Mooresville, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

This was our 3rd time staying at The Reef. For the price, this place is pretty hard to beat. We had booked a 2 bedroom unit. It was nice. Had enough room for 4 adults and 2 kids. Having a full kitchen was nice. My only complaint about the room was that there was a wall lamp mounted right next to the bed in one of the bedrooms right by the pillow. Very odd place and I kept hitting it at night. Other than that, no real problems.

Another review someone commented on the housekeeping service. In our room it said that daily housekeeping only consists of fresh towels and garbage removal. Full cleaning was I think once a week. Which is fine. We are capable of making our own bed and cleaning up after ourselves.

Elevators were very slow and backed up. Luckily we were only on the 3rd floor so we just used the steps. Might be a good tip that if you travel during peak season, request a room on a lower floor and skip the elevator.

Please remember this is an older resort. There are some issues but for the most part everything was clean and worked well. The staff was very friendly.

One huge plus is Mako's Bar and Grill. They have very good food. It is a burger type place, so if you want a great burger, chicken strips, etc. This is a great place to go for a very good price.

All in all we had a very nice time and will be back again in September for a weekend.

Room Tip: During busy times, book a room no higher than the 4th floor and use the steps instead of the elevato...
Dear BrownHP,
Thank you for being a repeat guest of The Reef Myrtle Beach. We truly appreciate your business. Your review was helpful in letting TripAdvisor readers know that we offer light housekeeping, and only offer full cleaning one time during the stay. We hope that you enjoy the rest of your summer and that we see you again soon!
Chesterfield
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

My family and I are here at this place this weekend and I thought I was being pranked when I walked into this room! After reading so many good reviews I've been wondering where they found this awful room they have given to me and my family? First of all upon walking into the room it smells as though someone urinated on the carpet between the room and kitchenette area, the blankets had burn holes in them and this suppose to be a smoke free room, paint is chipping off the walls, and mildew is around the bath tub! I called downstairs and told them I wanted a refund but of course my money was tied up on my card so no instant refund so I could go to another hotel. I told them I wanted another room and of course they had no more rooms until Sunday. So I'm on night two of dealing with the urine smell in this poor quality room! I'm so upset I don't know what to do, it looks like they would use some of the money people are spending to stay here to thoroughly clean the room and fix it up a little. I will never stay here again and won't recommend anyone else to do so either. DHEC seriously needs to inspect this place especially with the chipping paint and mildew. If you don't care what type place you stay in this is definitely the place for you but if you care where you lay your head at night PLEASE LOOK FOR ANOTHER PLACE!

• Stayed July 2013
Reef2101, Manager at The Reef at South Beach, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear CField,
We regret that the accommodations that were provided at the Reef Myrtle Beach did not meet your expectations. As to the positive reviews of others, obviously, their experience was the not the same as yours. We are respectful that Trip Advisor is an open forum, and strive to keep our comments professional and courteous. While the Reef is not new, the staff strives to offer clean, comfortable accommodations. We realize the property is not as decorative or updated as some of the other oceanfront properties. Our rates certainly reflect that. Again, we regret that your accommodations did not meet your expectations.

Been to The Reef at South Beach? Share your experiences!