“Not perfect but the perfect place to sleep and wake up and go back to the beach” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Reef at South Beach

Save Saved
You added The Reef at South Beach to your Saves list
The Reef at South Beach
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2101 South Ocean Boulevard, Myrtle Beach, SC 29577   |
Ranked #90 of 214 hotels in Myrtle Beach
pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Overall, it was a good deal for the money. It was a little outdated and the room did smell a little, but it was oceanfront and very affordable (and as far as I'm concerned, if I'm at the beach, I'm not spending much time in the hotel, so who cares?). There was entertainment by the pool everyday, and the employees were very friendly and accommodating.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reef2101, Manager at The Reef at South Beach, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear Pat W,
Thank you for staying at the Reef and for recognizing our staff for their friendliness and guest service efforts. We also appreciated that you mentioned our oceanfront location and proximity to the beach. We apologize that there was an odor in your room, and we will check to make sure that housekeeping staff members are not over saturating the room freshener, which when overused can cause an unpleasant smell. Thanks again, and we hope to see you again soon!

340 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Detroit, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

My family and I stayed here on our annual vacation and we were not happy at all. My room smelled of mildew and the blankets on the bed smelled of urine. There were 5 of us in a room but we were never given enough towels and when we finally found a housekeeper, we were told that there were NO towels available. We went to the front desk and were told that they did not have any towels and were unsure when housekeeping would be able to provide any. When they did come with towels, they would only give us 3 sets of towels and washcloths. The rooms were extremely outdated and the sofa bed had no linen, no blankets, and no pillows. The elevators took up to 15 minutes most times to come so we had to resort to taking the stairs. I have a physically-challenged son so this was very disappointing. The best part of this hotel is the pool area and Makos. Being a travel agent, I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Vette B,
We apologize that you were unhappy with the accommodations at the Reef. Our company operates several hotels and oceanfront resorts, and best hotel practices and associate training is in place for room cleanliness and laundry. Again, we apologize that we did not meet your standards.
Mooresville, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

This was our 3rd time staying at The Reef. For the price, this place is pretty hard to beat. We had booked a 2 bedroom unit. It was nice. Had enough room for 4 adults and 2 kids. Having a full kitchen was nice. My only complaint about the room was that there was a wall lamp mounted right next to the bed in one of the bedrooms right by the pillow. Very odd place and I kept hitting it at night. Other than that, no real problems.

Another review someone commented on the housekeeping service. In our room it said that daily housekeeping only consists of fresh towels and garbage removal. Full cleaning was I think once a week. Which is fine. We are capable of making our own bed and cleaning up after ourselves.

Elevators were very slow and backed up. Luckily we were only on the 3rd floor so we just used the steps. Might be a good tip that if you travel during peak season, request a room on a lower floor and skip the elevator.

Please remember this is an older resort. There are some issues but for the most part everything was clean and worked well. The staff was very friendly.

One huge plus is Mako's Bar and Grill. They have very good food. It is a burger type place, so if you want a great burger, chicken strips, etc. This is a great place to go for a very good price.

All in all we had a very nice time and will be back again in September for a weekend.

Room Tip: During busy times, book a room no higher than the 4th floor and use the steps instead of the elevato...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear BrownHP,
Thank you for being a repeat guest of The Reef Myrtle Beach. We truly appreciate your business. Your review was helpful in letting TripAdvisor readers know that we offer light housekeeping, and only offer full cleaning one time during the stay. We hope that you enjoy the rest of your summer and that we see you again soon!
Chesterfield
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

My family and I are here at this place this weekend and I thought I was being pranked when I walked into this room! After reading so many good reviews I've been wondering where they found this awful room they have given to me and my family? First of all upon walking into the room it smells as though someone urinated on the carpet between the room and kitchenette area, the blankets had burn holes in them and this suppose to be a smoke free room, paint is chipping off the walls, and mildew is around the bath tub! I called downstairs and told them I wanted a refund but of course my money was tied up on my card so no instant refund so I could go to another hotel. I told them I wanted another room and of course they had no more rooms until Sunday. So I'm on night two of dealing with the urine smell in this poor quality room! I'm so upset I don't know what to do, it looks like they would use some of the money people are spending to stay here to thoroughly clean the room and fix it up a little. I will never stay here again and won't recommend anyone else to do so either. DHEC seriously needs to inspect this place especially with the chipping paint and mildew. If you don't care what type place you stay in this is definitely the place for you but if you care where you lay your head at night PLEASE LOOK FOR ANOTHER PLACE!

• Stayed July 2013
Reef2101, Manager at The Reef at South Beach, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear CField,
We regret that the accommodations that were provided at the Reef Myrtle Beach did not meet your expectations. As to the positive reviews of others, obviously, their experience was the not the same as yours. We are respectful that Trip Advisor is an open forum, and strive to keep our comments professional and courteous. While the Reef is not new, the staff strives to offer clean, comfortable accommodations. We realize the property is not as decorative or updated as some of the other oceanfront properties. Our rates certainly reflect that. Again, we regret that your accommodations did not meet your expectations.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

Hotel from hell!! You get stuck in the elevators daily wasn't treated with respect!My last day needed clean towels was not giving any because it was our last day! The only thing that was pleasant was the activities at the pool.when you walk in the lobby you will think you in a luxury hotel but go to the rooms different story and they are very small.Please don't let the website fool you as I was.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear EF8,
I apologize for the delay in responding to your review. We were puzzled by the statement that there were daily elevator malfunctions, so I had to request service reports. The elevators were replaced just three years ago, and while mechanical things can break, your comment was concerning because the equipment is still fairly new. The service of the elevator equipment is contracted by a leading company called ThyssenKrupp. I'm sorry that you were inconvenienced by the elevators. Regrettably, our reporting only reflects a brief malfunction that was promptly resolved by our maintenance department.
Bracey, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We have vacationed at Myrtle Beach every summer for the past several years and have tried different hotels. This one was really bad! I looked at the reviews on tripadvisor and everyone said they had a great staff, but the rooms were really dated. I should have listened to that little voice in my head.

We booked a two room suite (three kids, two adults) a couple of weeks prior to leaving and the clerk called us at 10:30 p.m. to let us know that they had overbooked and that the room we requested was no longer available. We opted for another room, only to find out later that someone cancelled (lucky them) at the last minute and we could now get the two room suite for less money.

I, myself, have worked the front desk at a local hotel so I know how important customer service is, but you can only do so much.

Upon arrival, one could tell that the place looked in need of serious repair with the exception of the lobby. The staff was very nice and tried to be helpful. The elevator was painfully slow! We opened the door to our two room suite and in one of the bedrooms in it was so small the door wouldn't even open all of the way without hitting the bed. The other was not much bigger.

There were red splash stains on the cabinets in the bathroom along with a huge patch where the soap dish usually is. A piece of tissue was shoved into a hole in the cabinets. The tile floor was chipped and the carpet was really stained. It smelled of smoke (this was a smoke free room) and when you stepped in the shower, it was like walking on a water bed. One can only assume that water was trapped between the liner of the tub and the foundation.

We always buy groceries to defray the cost of meals when we travel, but once we spent over a hundred and fifty dollars at the store, we realized the fridge didn't work. We called maintenance the first day and a gentleman came up to look at it. He was very nice and said that we had cut it on so high, the motor was frozen. My husband only cut it on to the half-way mark. He said he would come back and check on it. We never saw him again. The next day we called again and another maintenance man came up only to say that he would have to inform his supervisor of a part they needed, but that his supervisor was off that day and that he, himself, would be off for the next two days. No one ever fixed our problem and our groceries were spoiled.

Sitting on the balcony at night, there was a guest one floor above us that kept throwing his cigarette out and it would eventually blow into our balcony. That was not the fault of the hotel staff, but only shows what kind of rude and inconsiderate people stay here.

When we checked out, my husband complained to the front desk clerk about losing a lot of money on groceries. She replied with a smile "I'm sorry that you are upset." without a single penny off.

We don't usually complain about anything, even though we have had some experiences, but this was just too much. As a lady walked in and saw me in line she asked what I thought of the place and I told her to "Run, do not stay here." and she listened. I only wish I could have stood out front longer to turn people away.

I am giving them two points for the friendly staff. That and the D.J. at the pool are the only things they have gong for them.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Reef2101, Manager at The Reef at South Beach, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear Bracey-Girl,
We realize that selecting a new hotel in a resort market can be disappointing, especially when you are accustomed to a familiar property. We regret that we did not meet your expectations, and apologize that your time on the balcony was disrupted by the inconsideration of smoking guests. The hotel attempts to place the smoking rooms in an area to be less intrusive to our non-smoking guests, and again we apologize that this was an issue. Regrettably, despite our best efforts, items in the rooms break. It is our goal that items in the rooms be in working order, and we apologize for the refrigerator.
Woodville ga
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

This has to be by far the worse hotel I've stayed in when visiting Myrtle Beach. This was a family trip of more than 40 people and every room had problems. The pictures do not show how this hotel is truly kept up. The level of professionalism is little to none especially when issues arises with the guests.The rooms are extremely small and there's no room to move around. We also had problems with some rooms having odors that we had to complain about but nothing was really done. Lastly, several guest and a family member of mine was stuck on the elevators here on different occasions. Do yourself a favor and DO NOT stay here. You will waste time and money.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear KM,
We regret that the accommodations of the Reef Resort did not meet your expectations. We addressed the elevator concern that another member of your party had posted, but again, we're sorry that you were troubled by their elevator issue. While the Reef is not the oceanfront hotel for you, and we realize that we may not be the right fit for everyone, we do hope that you will return to the beautiful Grand Strand of Myrtle Beach again.

Been to The Reef at South Beach? Share your experiences!