“Not happy!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #95 of 216 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Detroit, Michigan
“Not happy!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

My family and I stayed here on our annual vacation and we were not happy at all. My room smelled of mildew and the blankets on the bed smelled of urine. There were 5 of us in a room but we were never given enough towels and when we finally found a housekeeper, we were told that there were NO towels available. We went to the front desk and were told that they did not have any towels and were unsure when housekeeping would be able to provide any. When they did come with towels, they would only give us 3 sets of towels and washcloths. The rooms were extremely outdated and the sofa bed had no linen, no blankets, and no pillows. The elevators took up to 15 minutes most times to come so we had to resort to taking the stairs. I have a physically-challenged son so this was very disappointing. The best part of this hotel is the pool area and Makos. Being a travel agent, I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Reef2101, Manager at The Reef at South Beach, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear Vette B,
We apologize that you were unhappy with the accommodations at the Reef. Our company operates several hotels and oceanfront resorts, and best hotel practices and associate training is in place for room cleanliness and laundry. Again, we apologize that we did not meet your standards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Mooresville, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

This was our 3rd time staying at The Reef. For the price, this place is pretty hard to beat. We had booked a 2 bedroom unit. It was nice. Had enough room for 4 adults and 2 kids. Having a full kitchen was nice. My only complaint about the room was that there was a wall lamp mounted right next to the bed in one of the bedrooms right by the pillow. Very odd place and I kept hitting it at night. Other than that, no real problems.

Another review someone commented on the housekeeping service. In our room it said that daily housekeeping only consists of fresh towels and garbage removal. Full cleaning was I think once a week. Which is fine. We are capable of making our own bed and cleaning up after ourselves.

Elevators were very slow and backed up. Luckily we were only on the 3rd floor so we just used the steps. Might be a good tip that if you travel during peak season, request a room on a lower floor and skip the elevator.

Please remember this is an older resort. There are some issues but for the most part everything was clean and worked well. The staff was very friendly.

One huge plus is Mako's Bar and Grill. They have very good food. It is a burger type place, so if you want a great burger, chicken strips, etc. This is a great place to go for a very good price.

All in all we had a very nice time and will be back again in September for a weekend.

Room Tip: During busy times, book a room no higher than the 4th floor and use the steps instead of the elevato...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear BrownHP,
Thank you for being a repeat guest of The Reef Myrtle Beach. We truly appreciate your business. Your review was helpful in letting TripAdvisor readers know that we offer light housekeeping, and only offer full cleaning one time during the stay. We hope that you enjoy the rest of your summer and that we see you again soon!
Chesterfield
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

My family and I are here at this place this weekend and I thought I was being pranked when I walked into this room! After reading so many good reviews I've been wondering where they found this awful room they have given to me and my family? First of all upon walking into the room it smells as though someone urinated on the carpet between the room and kitchenette area, the blankets had burn holes in them and this suppose to be a smoke free room, paint is chipping off the walls, and mildew is around the bath tub! I called downstairs and told them I wanted a refund but of course my money was tied up on my card so no instant refund so I could go to another hotel. I told them I wanted another room and of course they had no more rooms until Sunday. So I'm on night two of dealing with the urine smell in this poor quality room! I'm so upset I don't know what to do, it looks like they would use some of the money people are spending to stay here to thoroughly clean the room and fix it up a little. I will never stay here again and won't recommend anyone else to do so either. DHEC seriously needs to inspect this place especially with the chipping paint and mildew. If you don't care what type place you stay in this is definitely the place for you but if you care where you lay your head at night PLEASE LOOK FOR ANOTHER PLACE!

• Stayed July 2013
Reef2101, Manager at The Reef at South Beach, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear CField,
We regret that the accommodations that were provided at the Reef Myrtle Beach did not meet your expectations. As to the positive reviews of others, obviously, their experience was the not the same as yours. We are respectful that Trip Advisor is an open forum, and strive to keep our comments professional and courteous. While the Reef is not new, the staff strives to offer clean, comfortable accommodations. We realize the property is not as decorative or updated as some of the other oceanfront properties. Our rates certainly reflect that. Again, we regret that your accommodations did not meet your expectations.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

Hotel from hell!! You get stuck in the elevators daily wasn't treated with respect!My last day needed clean towels was not giving any because it was our last day! The only thing that was pleasant was the activities at the pool.when you walk in the lobby you will think you in a luxury hotel but go to the rooms different story and they are very small.Please don't let the website fool you as I was.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear EF8,
I apologize for the delay in responding to your review. We were puzzled by the statement that there were daily elevator malfunctions, so I had to request service reports. The elevators were replaced just three years ago, and while mechanical things can break, your comment was concerning because the equipment is still fairly new. The service of the elevator equipment is contracted by a leading company called ThyssenKrupp. I'm sorry that you were inconvenienced by the elevators. Regrettably, our reporting only reflects a brief malfunction that was promptly resolved by our maintenance department.
Bracey, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We have vacationed at Myrtle Beach every summer for the past several years and have tried different hotels. This one was really bad! I looked at the reviews on tripadvisor and everyone said they had a great staff, but the rooms were really dated. I should have listened to that little voice in my head.

We booked a two room suite (three kids, two adults) a couple of weeks prior to leaving and the clerk called us at 10:30 p.m. to let us know that they had overbooked and that the room we requested was no longer available. We opted for another room, only to find out later that someone cancelled (lucky them) at the last minute and we could now get the two room suite for less money.

I, myself, have worked the front desk at a local hotel so I know how important customer service is, but you can only do so much.

Upon arrival, one could tell that the place looked in need of serious repair with the exception of the lobby. The staff was very nice and tried to be helpful. The elevator was painfully slow! We opened the door to our two room suite and in one of the bedrooms in it was so small the door wouldn't even open all of the way without hitting the bed. The other was not much bigger.

There were red splash stains on the cabinets in the bathroom along with a huge patch where the soap dish usually is. A piece of tissue was shoved into a hole in the cabinets. The tile floor was chipped and the carpet was really stained. It smelled of smoke (this was a smoke free room) and when you stepped in the shower, it was like walking on a water bed. One can only assume that water was trapped between the liner of the tub and the foundation.

We always buy groceries to defray the cost of meals when we travel, but once we spent over a hundred and fifty dollars at the store, we realized the fridge didn't work. We called maintenance the first day and a gentleman came up to look at it. He was very nice and said that we had cut it on so high, the motor was frozen. My husband only cut it on to the half-way mark. He said he would come back and check on it. We never saw him again. The next day we called again and another maintenance man came up only to say that he would have to inform his supervisor of a part they needed, but that his supervisor was off that day and that he, himself, would be off for the next two days. No one ever fixed our problem and our groceries were spoiled.

Sitting on the balcony at night, there was a guest one floor above us that kept throwing his cigarette out and it would eventually blow into our balcony. That was not the fault of the hotel staff, but only shows what kind of rude and inconsiderate people stay here.

When we checked out, my husband complained to the front desk clerk about losing a lot of money on groceries. She replied with a smile "I'm sorry that you are upset." without a single penny off.

We don't usually complain about anything, even though we have had some experiences, but this was just too much. As a lady walked in and saw me in line she asked what I thought of the place and I told her to "Run, do not stay here." and she listened. I only wish I could have stood out front longer to turn people away.

I am giving them two points for the friendly staff. That and the D.J. at the pool are the only things they have gong for them.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Reef2101, Manager at The Reef at South Beach, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear Bracey-Girl,
We realize that selecting a new hotel in a resort market can be disappointing, especially when you are accustomed to a familiar property. We regret that we did not meet your expectations, and apologize that your time on the balcony was disrupted by the inconsideration of smoking guests. The hotel attempts to place the smoking rooms in an area to be less intrusive to our non-smoking guests, and again we apologize that this was an issue. Regrettably, despite our best efforts, items in the rooms break. It is our goal that items in the rooms be in working order, and we apologize for the refrigerator.
Woodville ga
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

This has to be by far the worse hotel I've stayed in when visiting Myrtle Beach. This was a family trip of more than 40 people and every room had problems. The pictures do not show how this hotel is truly kept up. The level of professionalism is little to none especially when issues arises with the guests.The rooms are extremely small and there's no room to move around. We also had problems with some rooms having odors that we had to complain about but nothing was really done. Lastly, several guest and a family member of mine was stuck on the elevators here on different occasions. Do yourself a favor and DO NOT stay here. You will waste time and money.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear KM,
We regret that the accommodations of the Reef Resort did not meet your expectations. We addressed the elevator concern that another member of your party had posted, but again, we're sorry that you were troubled by their elevator issue. While the Reef is not the oceanfront hotel for you, and we realize that we may not be the right fit for everyone, we do hope that you will return to the beautiful Grand Strand of Myrtle Beach again.
Abingdon, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We waited to the last minute to plan our trip to the beach and didn’t have a whole lot of options. We had two couples and an individual traveler. We found The Reef and thought for ocean front rooms the pricing was amazing.. We went in not expecting too much based off the other reviews but figured for a weekend trip it would be fine. .

Let me just go ahead and say that I’m not much of a review writer. But I felt the need to do so after this trip.

First we booked our room on expedia, there were 5 adults so we booked a 2 bedroom, and then got a call late one night that there was an issue with the website and the room we booked was no longer available. We accepted a 1 bedroom with 2 beds in it. Then we got a call back that there was a cancellation and our original reservation was available. For someone like me that likes to have plans and everything together I was freaking out.

When we get to the hotel around 1pm our room is not ready. Which is no big deal, we just change and go on down to the pool. Finally we check in and go up to our room. It was on the 12th floor which was a little higher than we’d like but we were just happy to have a room at all.
Walking in the room and down the hall we are met with this HORRIBLE smell. It smells like something has died in the room. The first thing we do after we adjust to the smell is to check the sheets on the bed and the rest of the room. The sheets appeared to be clean. The whole room was dated and didn’t look like it had been updated since the hotel was originally built in the 1980’s, but that’s to be expected with the price.

There was water damage on the ceiling and the fridge smelled horrible. The fully equipped kitchen didn’t even have a spatula. We made sure to wash everything before we even used it. The water pressure in the shower left something to be desired.

Also, when they came to “clean” the room they didn’t make the beds or wipe down anything. They did empty the trash and take the dirty towels but they didn’t leave clean ones and we had to go to the front desk to get towels every day and toilet paper.

Maintenance came up to spray for the smell twice. One time we asked for them to come investigate it we were told the maintenance closet was locked and they couldn’t do anything about it until morning.

Now that I’ve gotten all the negative things out of the way I will let you know there was some positives.

First and foremost the highlight of our whole experience was Eddie. He worked at the front desk on nights and was so friendly and from the booking process until we left was wonderful to interact with. I felt like he genuinely cared about us and did what he could to help make our stay better.

Also, there is a DJ at the pool that had a really good playlist and tried to get the guests involved and to interact. There was also a fabulous bar at the hotel. Macko’s. It had wonderful drinks and in addition to the actual bar and restaurant had a poolside station as well.

And of course, probably the best part of the actual hotel was the fact that it was ocean front.
Overall, I feel like our stay would have been better if we wouldn’t have had the whole “smell” situation and the housekeeping would have been more attentive.

But, The Reef was an affordable vacation spot and I feel like with some updating could be taken back to it’s prime. I don’t know if we will stay there again or not. But for a weekend getaway it was alright.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear KM,
Thank you for being guests of the Reef at Myrtle Beach. We regret that we did not meet your expectations. As noted in numerous places, we are an older oceanfront property. We strive to offer rates that are competitive to our guests and also to deliver excellent guest service. But again, we are not a new oceanfront hotel. Our photography was taken by Show Hotels last year, and those pictures are what appear on the website, so I'm not sure what you were referencing. Show Hotels is a leading photography company that is used by many hotels here in Myrtle Beach. Again, apologies that we did not meet your expectations.

Been to The Reef at South Beach? Share your experiences!