“Very pleased.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #100 of 215 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Piedmont, South Carolina, United States
“Very pleased.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Just got back from staying at the Reef. It is an older hotel but it is very clean and the staff is friendly. The rates were great and the location is great if you want to keep your distance from the lively pavilion traffic/noise. Our two complaints were that the elevator is very slow at times (but we were on the 1st floor so we just took the steps down to the pool) and the food wasn't great at the resturant Mako's located off the 1st floor of the hotel. All rooms are oceanfront so we had a great view! I would stay here again :)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Reef2101, Manager at The Reef at South Beach, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Dear Becky W,
Great beach photo! It really shows the close proximity from the Reef's outdoor pool to the actual beach. We're so glad that you stayed with us, and thank you for taking the time to write a review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed at the Reef from September 16-22, 2012, and it was awesome! The rates were terrific, the staff was so friendly, and knowledgeable! Our housekeeper had the best tips for Restaurants for my husband and his friend, as they went our for breakfast each morning, while my friend and I stared at the beautiful ocean view from our balcony! The pool and pool area was clean, tidy, tons of chairs to sit on, the perfect temperature, and I loved the fact that it was an indoor and outdoor pool! We were walking distance to numerous stores and restaurants, and being right on the beach, we couldn't have asked for more! The beds were comfortable, the room spacious, the appliances were clean and in great working order. We didn't even have to buy dishsoap, to clean the cutlery, dishes, and cups that were in the kitchen, there was a small bottle of soap in the room, that was the perfect size for our stay! I would return, anytime, and the four of us would have stayed forever, if we could! Definitely would recommend this to all of my friends! Thanks so much to all of the staff for our wonderful stay!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Reef2101, Manager at The Reef at South Beach, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Dear Lupacow,
Thank you for being our guest and for taking the time to write a review. We appreciated your business and will look forward to seeing you again soon. Thank you for giving a description of the kitchen amenities. I'm sure that will be helpful to others. Didn't you LOVE the gorgeous weather?
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

We stayed at the reef last year and had no complaints it is an older hotel but it was kept very clean and the staff was very nice. However we just stayed there again for a few days and the house keeping was very bad. Had to go down to front desk at 8 o'clock to get towels and this is after I called a few hours before. The next day I had to go to front desk again over house keeping not cleaning our room or giving us clean towels again and this was on our third night. We also had a neighbor that liked to do a liitle smoking of the illegal stuff. We could not even set on outside cause of it and red ones around us could smell it too. I called the front desk one day then went to the front desk the next day cause of it and ask to speak with a manager and was told he was out to them again what was going on and that I even had pics of them with it smelt the smell again later that day and never heard from the manager. Not sure I I will be staying again, which is so disappointing cause I really liked my first stay there.

• Stayed September 2012
Dear MLM98,
Thank you for returning to the Reef again this year. I apologize that your stay was not as enjoyable as the prior year. Regrettably, the actions of another guest disrupted your stay and I'm sorry that happened. I have placed your review in the Executive Housekeepers box to make her aware that you experienced an issue. Light housekeeping with fresh towels and trash removable is provided each day. While full housekeeping services aren't offered daily, I apologize that you didn't receive light housekeeping.
Hagerstown, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

We always stay here and have a great time. This time we had a problem with the balconey door lock and called the front desk and they replaced it with a new one. I don't know why the reviews on here are talking about the rooms not being clean or having bugs. We have stayed here 4 years in a row and have always had a clean room and we have never seen any bugs and believe me my wife has checked. The only problem this time was the all the people that just left the kids on their own. We was here for a week and one girl about 11 years old we never did see her parents and we saw her about 30 times. They also pushed all the buttons on the elevator and that made a long wait and ride because you had to stop at every floor. The hotel also started a $100.00 deposit for damaged rooms and lost towels. That is fine but when we pointed out the normal small stains and tears so we would not be charged they told us not to worry about it. The $100.00 is only for major damage. The problem with that is you don't know your being charged unit a week after you check out and I think it would be hard to fight it by then. They said the hotel has a new owner or manager and that is the reason for the change. We love this hotel and will continue to stay here but the $100.00 deposit SUCKS!

Room Tip: The rooms away from the elevator are a little quieter
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Jeff K,
Thank you for returning to the Reef! The weather has just been breathtaking this September. I regret that the actions of some non-attentive parents impacted your vacation. We also appreciated you calling attention to this, as it can be a safety issue for non-attended children. We appreciate your past business and hope to see you soon.
Spencer, Va. USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

My wife and I spent a few days at the Reef recently. The manger, Aaron and all of the staff were super nice and very friendly. They did everything to make our stay a special time. The rooms were comforable and very clean. I would recoment the Reef to all of my friends..

Room Tip: All rooms are ocean front
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Chef Paul,
It was truly our pleasure to have you and your wife as our guests. We appreciated you taking the time to write a review and for acknowleding the Reef team. We'll look forward to seeing you again soon.
Forest City, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

we went to myrtle beach on aug 31 till sept 3rd and every time we go we stay at the reef the rooms are clean the staff is very nice they make you fill at home. i would not stay and anywere but the reef thank's donna h

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Donna H,
Thank you for returning to the Reef! I noticed that you traveled as a couple and September and October are wonderful months for a Myrtle Beach getaway. The ocean temperatures are still warm, but the actual weather is a few degrees cooler. We appreciate your past business and hope that you can return to enjoy Christmas shopping at the outlets and one of the fabulous Myrtle Beach theater's Holiday performances.
Blue Ridge Mountains, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

My husband and I got a really good deal staying at the Reef for 3 nights over a weekend stay. I was a little worried after reading some of the below reviews, but I have to say - we were pleasantly surprised. Check-in was friendly and easy, our room was clean (we got a 2 room unit), the space was a tad larger than we had anticipated, and the view was AWESOME! The "private" decks really aren't private at all, but they were fairly roomy and a nice place to enjoy the beach views.

The pool area was kind of gross. We could see lots of sand in the water and there were people screaming and yelling who were swimming in it. It was quite noisy, so we didn't swim in the pool. Mako's is a cool pub/grill attached to the hotel where you can get good food at a decent price.

The beds weren't that comfortable, but they weren't the worst either. You definitely need to bring your own pillows because the ones provided are pretty flat and old.

At night, we slept fine and had to issues with the A/C units in our room. Maid service doesn't come daily unless you simply need fresh towels or trash removal. This was nice because we didn't hear lots of noise in the mornings from housekeeping (which is usually a big problem in hotels).

One downside was that there is no fitness center. Apparently, the Reef has a "sister" property that has a fitness center, but I wasn't allowed to use it. I really wish they'd change this rule. WiFi was pretty good, so at least I could work out with an online fitness program in my room. Another thing that was kind of disappointing was all the cigarette burns around the bathtub and bathroom sink area. They really need to replace these surfaces since it's a no smoking room. The microwave didn't work that great, but the fridge was super cold for our drinks.

Oh - and the biggie - this hotel honors requests!!!!! We requested a quiet top floor room away from large families and we were given exactly what we wanted. A big thank you to the Reef!

Overall, it was a pleasant stay and you are close to many attractions and restaurants. We will most likely return if we get another good deal.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Sunflower 35,
Thank you for staying at the Reef. We appreciated you mentioning that the Reef strives to accommodate requests when we can. Hope to see you soon.

Been to The Reef at South Beach? Share your experiences!