“Just ok...Won't Go Again” 2 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Up to 40% off Winter!
Ranked #95 of 214 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Spartanburg, SC
“Just ok...Won't Go Again”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2005

We had an Ocean front sun suite with a queen bed. The room was very clean, so that impressed me after reading some things on here. It was a good size with a nice kitchen area. The balcony was tiny and definitely for only 2 people! Housekeeping was always very friendly in attitude and with the supply of towels. The pool was nice.

There were many times when we spent 15 to 20 minutes waiting on an elevator- and on the day we checked out, one of them broke. There is no service elevator, so you can forget getting on one if housekeepers are trying to get to their floors. Watch out for it also during check in/ out.

Waking up on the first morning- the sheet was wadded up in the middle of the bed. We asked the housekeeper to give us a better sheet, which she did. It kept happening- so on Wed. (We arrived on Sat.) my husband went to the front desk- where they gave him a sheet to change himself! We finally figured out it was the mattress- which was absolutely horrible. They could do nothing about it- for they couldn't get in touch with the homeowner. Our only option was to switch rooms.

So, long story short- after dealing with the people at the front desk and eventually the manager- we will not stay at The Palace again. I don't want to badmouth the manager or the people at the front desk, so I will keep that to myself. They could have cared less that we were having a problem. People are right when they say there is a reason why it is so inexpensive.

They can't do anything if there is a problem, the elevator wait is awful, and they have a severe shortage of luggage carts. We learned our lesson and will put our money into some of the other places we have stayed in Myrtle Beach.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2005

We just got back from our vacation and had a wonderful stay at the Palace in Myrtle Beach. We rented our condo via the internet from Myrtle Beach Rooms For Rent which is located at the Wave Rider directly across the street from the Palace. We were very pleased with the condo and the resort. For starters our condo was located on the 2nd floor (room 201) directly facing the ocean, it had all the comforts of home. There was a live band that played at the pool deck several days and the restaraunt had karokee on one night and a country singer another night. We were also invited to a cookout at the Wave Rider where we had checked in at. The staff was friendly and helpful. They suggested a nice restaraunt we ate at called Sara J's. We had never stayed at the Palace before but after this trip Im sure we will vist again.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2005

At least I always get a good chuckle when I think of the name "Palace" and this hotel in the same thought. I thought that maybe there were just a few disgruntled people with nothing better to do than to log a negative review for this hotel..NOPE! They were not kidding. There really are only 3 elevators for 22 floors. Thanks goodness.. we were able to move from our first room assigned on the 19th floor to the 4th floor. It was completely unacceptable! We could at least take the stairs. Those poor folks on the upper floors spent a lot of vacation time waiting for elevators. The first room had NASTY carpet, old dirty spotted furniture with mildew and mold streaming down from the ceiling. I wanted to put on gloves and a mask to even stand in it. The next room was not "nice" by any means but acceptable. The Palace...hehe funny!! I wish I had taken some pics of it to share with you it but really wanted to get the heck out of there as fast as I could. Our friends that were assigned to a room on the same floor had to go next door and find a room because there room was so nasty and smelly also. If this had been an inexpensive hotel I might have been able to be more tolerant because it was one step up from camping...but at those rates I really think that you should be able to expect a decent room. I'm just saying...

Stayed July 2005
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2005

The Palace Resort turned out to be filthy and run down. Our stay was in July 2005. The pictures shown on the internet of it looking so nice are very, very, very deceiving! It looks nothing like the pictures I saw. Maybe at one time, but not anymore! The workers there were nice and friendly, but the management/owners do not keep this place up. Not only was our room run down and dirty, the whole place looked bad. I guess they are making lots of money from one-timers, because they are not cheap and I can't believe anyone would want to stay there again.

Our room was rented from the Wave Rider across the street (which evidently rents out some of the rooms at The Palace) We paid and average of $157.50 a night for an efficiency suite; one bedroom, sofa sleeper in living room, and kitchen. You have to pay $10.00 extra per day if you want maid service. If not, you have to carry your towels, etc. across the street and exchange them. And pick up extra toilet tissue if you need it. One trip, they said they were out of toilet tissue and would send the maid over with it later. Never did.....had to go back that night and get it myself. The room was terrible...the sofa and chairs were filthy, the carpet was filthy and ripped in many places, the sofa bed mattress was terrible..., TV in the bedroom did not work at all, tub/shower was black looking it was so old and dirty as well as the floor...I went and bought disinfectant and tried to clean it, hinge on vanity door was broken and door hung sideways, blind in living room on window at door would not close, we had to sleep on sofa bed and you could see straight in, pillows had big, black stains on them (thankfully I had brought two from home), comforter and blankets were old looking and dirty looking...room was just plain nasty!

The Palace has many amenities such as saunas, jacuzzi's, weight room, etc., but everything looked dirty and run down. There was an area by the pool where the water stood, evidently for quite awhile, because it had grown green, slimy looking mold. There were two people that I knew of that stepped in it and slid down. This is evidence that the area was not cleaned and sanitized daily. Not while I was there anyway. And that was really a big safety hazard.

I kept calling for maintenance for the blind over door (so people couldn't see in at night) and to check the TV that didn't work, and for the vanity door that was broken. Should not have been hard to fix, nor very time consuming, but I kept getting excuses and no one ever showed up the whole time we were there.

We had to pay up front, so we had to endure this place. I would not stay there again...even if it was free. And believe me, I wouldn't be writing this if the place wasn't so bad. If you don't believe me, check it out for yourself! I really hope this keeps someone else from having a lousy vacation!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2005

All I hear is a bunch of cry babies .I am very particular about where I lay my head and the palace is one of those places .I was there in June on business andhave decided to bring the family back in august > I had a winderful time. The palace is the place to be.

• Stayed June 2005, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2005

After reading other reviews, it's good to know that there are better units than the one we stayed in. unit 2114. The vertical blinds in the living room fell apart as we tried to close out the bright morning sun. Blinds in the master bedroom did nothing to block out the bright morning sun and heat. Curtains are needed! For some reason, we noticed the bottoms of our feet were black from going barefoot in the room. Hummmmmm!! Soap and toliet paper were scarce, hummmmmm!! The kitchen was well stocked with utensils, one of the better qualities of the room. Nice!!!! Granted, it is to be expected that there will be a wait for the elevator in a 23 story building, but come on! Three elevators are not nearly sufficient for the guests already checked in let alone for those arriving with their luggage carts in tow ( IF a cart could be found!) Maybe in the slower months, but definitely not during the summer. A plus to the elevator situation was an employee riding along. That kept little fingers from pushing buttons for all 23 floors. Yeah!!!!!!!! We had to have something to be happy about, other than the great view from our teeny. tiny balconey with the filthy chairs that we decided not to sit on. And please, the next time the fire alarm goes off, come over the intercom to let your guests know whether to evacuate or not . We were not aware that the sound we faintly heard was the fire alarm until we looked out and saw a fairly large crowd of people gathered around the fire truck on the street below. It looks like next summer we will be headed back to the north end of Ocean Blvd.

Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2005

We stayed here from July 9 to July 13. After a long 18 hr. drive from Chicago, we were so relieved to finally get to our 2 bedroom suite at The Palace Resort. Needless to say, once stepping into the hotel I wanted to turn back. There was supposed to be a fountain running in the foyer area, but nothing - not much of an impression. The hallway leading to our room was musty and had a moldy smell to it. Once getting into the room, it was worse.

The smell continued inside, and my niece started spraying perfume near all the vents in the room because stinky air was coming through. The bathrooms were small and had watermarks/stains on the walls. There were even baby cockroaches walking along the floors in both bathrooms. We even decided to wear our flipflops inside the tub and shower because we didn't know how clean they were. Our balcony partially overlooked the pool and the roof jutting out from the first floor. Sand from other guests above would fall onto our swimsuits and towels, and each morning there would be a towel or item of clothing on top of our roof view after falling from balconies above ours. My husband and I were thinking of looking up other hotels in the area, but had already paid my sister-in-law for the room. (I would have been willing to pay again for a better place.)

As far as the staff goes, they were not very helpful. We needed clean towels and toilet paper daily, but were given a hard time. We were told we could only receive the number of towels that were returned to them, but when my sister-in-law tried returning 8 dirty towels, the staff said there was allotment, and only gave her 4! I resorted to using my dirty beach towel as my bath towel daily, as did my husband and kids. The pool was small and the water was cold. The indoor jacuzzi wasn't even working!

The only light in the whole situation was that it was along the beach, but there are plenty other hotels along the beach. If you want to have a nice relaxing, and most importanly clean place to stay, I suggest some of the other hotels in the area and there are plenty of others in the area.

I really needed to write this review to warn others not to go to The Palace Resort. I definitely wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed July 2005

Been to The Palace Resort? Share your experiences!