Message from TripAdvisor:

Ranked #97 of 215 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Bronx, New York
“Needs major upgrading”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

I rented the room mostly for space and for something close to the beach. The furniture was very old and the utensils were dirty. Thankfully we didnt have to use any and the master room lights were blown out. I called twice the night I checked in but I had to wait the next day to receive a new bulb. The housekeeping were polite even though, I'm a clean person they didnt have much to do but they were much more helpful compared to the front desk. Overall, the location and view from my balconies was beautiful. I would recommend this hotel for something like Biker's Week or a getaway where you won't barely stay inside otherwise you would be upset the entire time.

Room Tip: The 2 bedroom suites are best for large groups and smokers since there's 2 balconies.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
Milton, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

As another recent poster stated, there is no possible way this place should be billing themselves as a "resort". Hotel, yes. Resort...not even close. I believe many of the rooms are actually privately owned, and then rented out either by a management company within the hotel or sites such as VRBO (Vacation Rental by Owner) Making the reservation was a breeze, the owner was available for emails and such. No issues there whatsoever. That said, the rooms are circa 1975. (We stayed in two separate rooms, same owner) I would have preferred a coastal decor, but it was very dark and not suited to my taste at all. The first room needed tons of maintenance, the second room was nicely updated. That said, there were literally no blankets. Clean sheets, towels etc were provided, but no clean blankets. I was not keen on using the comforter as I know it was not laundered in between guests. Be aware of these issues when booking at this hotel. The hallways are dark, musty and the carpets have not been updated in decades. Also, we were there for 8 days and I did not see the hallways being maintained at all.
The "gameroom" consisted of 3 or 4 games such as pinball, a shooting game etc. The pools were ok, as were the hotubs, but did not appear well maintained. Scummy residue circled the entire border of the pools. The steam room reeked of some unidentifiable odor. The sauna was nice enough.
This hotel would do well to have a little store where sundries, snacks etc could be purchased easily. The greatest benefit was walking out the back door directly onto the beach. The parking garage was a plus, but the elevator was SLOW. The elevators inside the building were hot, stuffy and smelly. They did move at an ok pace, however.

Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Our vacation was ruined because I did not thoroughly consider the poor reviews about this hotel. My sister and I booked two (2BR) condos. Since we were traveling with children we requested suites on lower floors. We were told that two rooms on the second floor would be reserved. When we arrived we received one condo on the 22nd floor and the other on the 23rd floor. We were not advised of the hotel's strict balcony policy. As my sister, mother, and I prepared dinner we received a startling knock on the door by the hotel's home owner association security officer, Richard Johnson. Mr. Johnson informed us that we had 20 minutes to leave the property or the police would be called. We asked why and he said it was because my 5 yr old niece had thrown Pepperidge Farm gold fish crackers over the balcony. There was no damage or bodily harm. We did not receive a warning, a call or anything, and we were not made aware of the strict policy at check-in. Mr. Johnson then went on to boast that he had thrown out another family the night before after their grandchild let a golf ball roll off a sixth floor balcony, he went on to say that he was evicting another family after he left our room. The next day we involved the the GM and the decision was reversed. It was too late the damage was done. We were all distraught, upset, and traumatized by this experience. My 5 year old niece could not stop crying - neither could we. I absolutely would never recommend this hotel to anyone and would strongly encourage you to look at other properties, like Myrtle Woods Villas before booking here.

Greensboro, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Yes, the sign states it is a resort but it should be called a hotel. Each condo is individually owned therefore individual designed. The room we were assigned to had a funny order. We had to burn a candle for the entire stay. The appliances were probably as old as the building. The estabilshment is good but I believe it would be much better if the owners of each condo did much needed updated renovations. The daily free breakfast was a very good perk and it was good and hot each day. The staff was very, very nice. The biggest thing that needs to be done is room renovations this includes the carpet on each floor. Fresh towels and linens were given daily.

Room Tip: Ask which rooms were recently renovated!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

The room one gets is all about luck! When I booked my reservation in the one bedroom angle condo, I was so worried. Some reviews I've read and photos I've seen we're HORRID. When I came, we were on the 19th floor room 1912, I loved it!! The view was breathtaking and you can see the ocean clearly but also get a glimpse of the city! My room was facing the north east and at night you can see the Ferris wheel lights! It's close to everything, maybe a mile from downtown. The hotel was clean, renovations were being done, which it never bothered me. The bathrooms were clean, the kitchen clean, utensils and stuff clean. The elevators are slow but then again, it's a tall building and people are constantly in and out so I have patience. It's a very laid back family friendly condo. I don't like that there is only 2 free breakfasts per room, so if you have extra people, it's $8 a morning...rediculous! One thing that bothered me was the pools, they were kinda dirty and lacked some chlorine. I've mentioned it to staff so hopefully they'll clean up! But I definitely will come back. It isn't anything extremely fancy, but it isn't something gross either. Just ordinary people vacationing! :))

• Stayed June 2013
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

This was an average hotel. Nothing special about it. They were doing some maintenance in the lobby area but that didn't effect our stay at all. They were, however, working on the elevators at check in & only 1 was operational which was a little inconvenient. It was quiet and laid back. I booked early in the year so I felt like for what I paid I got my money's worth. Overall stay was pleasant and I would stay there again if I got a good deal.

• Stayed June 2013
Suffolk, Virginia, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

This place was awful! When we got there the hotel was not ready! We said OK, we will go eat and come back. We came back it was ready (they were suppose to call but didn't) and we got up to our room and it was DIRTY. There were dorito's on the floor, pee caked to the toilet, dirty q-tips, and old/used bobby pins in the room. It smelt musty as well. The hallways REEKED of smoke, and before I made reservations they told me it was a SMOKE FREE hotel. I even explained I have SEVERE lung disease with heart disease! I am now on steroids because of this. I went down for breakfast the next morning with my IV, the gawked at my IV and they didn't even help me with my food allergies. There was NO fresh fruit like they had promised, and according to the person that stayed with me the food was horrid. There restaurant was closed by 6 for dinner!

The parking garage had over sized parking for larger vehicles, we were an INCH to short (litterally) and we were flagged. So we went up stares for handicap, and the handicapped was moved away from the elevator. You could see where the signs were pulled off the wall and moved. When I made a complaint about all of this, I received a sassy attitude and hung up on. Do not waste your time here!

Also the hotels website was very misleading and might as well be flagged for FALSE ADVERTISING.

Room Tip: Find another hotel!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Palace Resort? Share your experiences!