“Great Winter Get Away” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Conway, South Carolina
“Great Winter Get Away”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2011

Great value for a weekend get away. Plenty to keep a 5 year old busy even when it was cold outside. More people should visit off season. Family friendly resort.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (651)
Green Mountain, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2010

I am not a Myrtle Beach fan because of the traffic and the crowds. Springmaid is beside the state park which makes the setting perfect! I loved the unspoiled, quiet location. I also love the pier, by far the best pier I have ever been on. I was disappointed in our room. We booked on line through hotels.com and we were not given an ocean front room. In fact many of the rooms at this resort really look across at other rooms. I went back to the registration desk and requested a better room. We were given first floor in another building which was better but our view was obstructed by palm trees. I was told there were no other options but this was off-season and there were tons of unoccupied rooms the entire time we were there that we would have been much better satisfied with. The rooms need upgrading quite badly. Some of the staff was okay; some rude. The restaurant was not open even though we were told it would be. I would go back but would be sure I got a better room and I would hope that some of the remodeling would have been done beforehand.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
hsimon, Front Office Manager at Springmaid Beach Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, February 1, 2011
Dear Past Guest,

After reading your review, I am very disappointed that our accommodations were not to your satisfaction. However, the only way in which we grow as a company, lodging facility, and place of employment is by feedback from our guests. With the improvements we are constantly making to better serve our guests, I can assure you that when you decide to return; your stay will be one with positive memories. We want to thank you for staying with us and look forward to seeing you again.

SMB Management Team
Cambridge, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2010

We very much enjoyed our stay at Springmaid. We stayed in the three storey building - Cypress. We were offered an upgrade to Palmetto, but turned it down. we were more than happy with our room. Housekeeping (Karen) was very friendly. We also required maintenance one day and our problem was fixed very quickly. (Problem was my fault). It would have been nice if the big lap pool was heated, but it was no big deal. Overall a great holiday and plan on staying there next year, hopefully, a little bit longer.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Asheville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

When I go to the beach, I don't care what kind of hotel room I have. I'm there for the beach. When I saw how inexpensive the room was going to be for five days, I didn't really expect much. The room was great, the view was fantastic! (all their rooms are at least oceanview if not oceanfront). The housekeepers on the fifth floor on the Palmetto tower were so friendly. The only drawback to this hotel is it's location. It is at the far south end, near the airport. It is nowhere near the main drag, and so there is less going on, on that end of the beach. Overall it was a really pleasant experience. I will definately go back

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
washington,dc
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2010

really the only thing good was the staff was friendly , bud everywhere , mildew rooms and showers dirty rooms i really dont know what else to say that was my experience it was off season and we had to stay here by choice was a family reunion was not my choice soo there you go i tried not to go back to the hotel until it was bedtime because i couldnt stand to look at the rooms !!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
hsimon, Front Office Manager at Springmaid Beach Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, October 16, 2010
Dear Past Guest,

After reading your review, I am very disappointed that our accommodations were not to your satisfaction. We strive to accommodate our guests to the best of our abilities and I am sorry that we fell short in your expectations. Had we known about the condition of your room, we would have done our best to rectify the situation as soon as possible. We appreciate your feedback and work to make our resort one everyone will want to stay at. We want to thank you for staying with us and hope that we will see you again.

SMB Management Team
Columbus Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2010

Went for a brief stay in early August 2010 and enjoyed it. We got a good deal and could have been disappointed if we paid full fare, $100+ and expected something more.
The beach was great - busy, but away from the hustling, bustling parts where it gets crowded.
The on-site pier is wonderful for a stroll or to watch fishing - wish we'd brought some gear to fish ourselves.
The pools were fun and it was nice to have an indoor-connected pool in case of rain or too much sun.
It's a little older, a little run-down, but it has a family feel to it from check in and the story you can read about in your room and that's kind of cute.
Our room had a microwave and fridge which was nice esp. if we'd stayed longer.
We have two boys, 6 & 9 and they were quite happy there.

Bottom line: if you don't need to have a new property and have a realistic sense of value for money tradeoffs, then if you find a price that looks attractive relative to other beach-front offers, this is a good place to go.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
hsimon, Front Office Manager at Springmaid Beach Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, October 10, 2010
Dear Past Guest,

I am happy to hear that you had a good time while on vacation at our resort. We feel our property is unique in its design that most tourists don’t venture down past our pier, so the beach in front of our property is less crowded than the rest of the strand. We want to thank you for staying with us and look forward seeing you again.

SMB Guest
Ludlow, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2010

I travel to MB 2 or 3 times a year to visit my kids and grandkids. I've stayed at Springmaid quite a few times and have never had a bad experience, although I'm glad to hear that they are replacing the tv's in the rooms. After a day with 3 grandsons 4,3, and 2, a couple of cold beers and some tv is the best way for me to unwind. In 2009, I was staying there in dec and my tv was shot. The maintenance people showed up within 10 mins of my call to repair it.
My only reason for not staying there this year is that their rates keep getting beat by some of their competitors. I will be in MB on Halloween night to visit the triple threat ( one of my nicknames for the gorgeous redneck boys my daughter and her husband are raising), and I'm staying about 5 miles north of Springmaid solely because of the price. Maybe they should start a frequent stayer program.
Other than that, the staff is always very friendly( I once had to leave 2 days early due to a fire at the chemical plant I work in( I'm a Fire Dept LT. there) and the manager went out of his way to see I wasnt charged for the nights I wouldn't be there, the breakfast is always very good, and the view from every room I've stayed in has been fantastic.
Oh, and sorry about the redneck comment, its a family joke because my son was born in Massachusetts, my daughter in Washington State, and after 20 years in the navy(living the majority of that time well below the Mason Dixon line), I decided to retire back to Mass.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
Dear Past Guest,

It is always wonderful to hear about guests’ stays and their reasons for staying at our resort. Being a mother of two kids, I completely understand your worn out status at the end of the day! We did start a Beach Perks program for our returning guests this past summer and we would be happy to add you to the list. Hopefully we will be hearing from you soon.

SMB Management

Been to Springmaid Beach Resort & Conference Center? Share your experiences!