“Great family memories were made at the Sea Mist” 4 of 5 stars

Sea Mist Oceanfront Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   1200 South Ocean Blvd., Myrtle Beach, SC 29577   |
Ranked #116 of 214 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
BeachLadyBeachLady
“Great family memories were made at the Sea Mist”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2008

We took our first family vacation this past spring break (2008), and we too were a little nervous about staying at the Sea Mist after reading other reviews; however, everything went very well!
I first inspected the room for cleanliness and found that it was very clean! We had a room in the Sandcastle building with a private balcony, overlooking the ocean (which I highly reccomend). Every morning we would wake up and go out on the balcony to watch the sunrise... it was beautiful !
The kids loved every minute of our trip, there was always something to do. We got the package deal, which we also reccomend, you get in to the water park and the amusement park for free and also get some free breakfast buffets.
The undergroung tunnel, to get you back and forth across the street is the way to go, as the street is often busy.
We had a BLAST and plan to return!!!
As far as indoor pools we liked the pool inside the dunes building the best, it was a little nicer than the one in our building... Overall, it was a great trip, with a great price ! I feel the people on here complaining, just want something to complain about !
The gift shop is very nice as well
Have a great trip!!!

• Liked — Oceanfront
  • Disliked — indoor pool
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (446)
North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2008

I was very disappointed apon arriving at the Hotel. Our Rooms were too small and had a horrible smell, so we changed rooms again, and the new rooms fridge was broken and the air wouldn't work! It did rain for most of the week, so we had to use the indoor pool. At night when we tried to use the Family Kingdom passes, they told us not enough PAYING customers came to open the park. We did use the water park for one day, but my boys 7 and 9 thought it was boring! By day 2 I had had enough, we left and checked into the Caribbean Villas for the remaining of our trip. (which we had an amazing time) The Sea mist has no Satisfaction Guarantee, so we lost or money! I would NEVER return back to that hotel again! I give it a 1 star rating! Way to run down for my taste!!!! They need to just go ahead and tear it down now and start rebuilding!

• Liked — Nothing!
  • Disliked — The room!
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2008

As a value for money golf package holiday, Sea Mist resort was an ideal base with helpful staff (especially Diana in the "3 steps down bar"), great buffet breakfast and well organised golf trips. The rooms we were in (above bar) were clean with adequate towels and a decent shower, but generally a bit dated and tired.

• Liked — Good shower and plenty towels
  • Disliked — Dated and a bit smelly to begin with.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Gordonsville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2008

My family and I stayed at the Sea Mist Resort on my sons Spring Break Vacation from school. Let me 1st say that I was very weary of arriving at the Sea Mist after reading all of the horrible reviews on Trip Advisor. I wasn't sure what to believe or if I should even go. I thought about changing our reservation, but our family of 4 was already vacationing on a budget and could not afford to lose our Deposit. So we went. I was pleasantly suprised when we arrived at the Sea Mist resort office. We had no problem finding the place, each one of their buildings were clearly marked with flags and signs bearing the hotels name. The office must have just been completely renovated because everything looked completely new to me. The reception area, the waiting area, .....everything. On the outside of the office there was a covered pull through spot for car, so you wouldn’t get wet if it were raining. There were two huge wooden double doors that looked hand carved to me. The reception area could easily accomodate at least 5 other parties checking in. It included a wrap around check in terminal with 5 or 6 sets of computers, so I don't see how anyone would ever have a wait when checking in. As soon as I walked up to the door, a sea mist representative opened the door and I was immediately greeted by 2 of the receptionist who were not checking in anyone at the time. The package that I had purchased (The Fun in the Sun package) was completely explained to me, as were the property details, and I was given a map of the resort, and of Myrtle Beach. Everyone was beyond nice, from the receptionist to the housekeeping staff. one thing that I do suggest is doing your research on each of the buildings that sea mist has to offer. We stayed in the Driftwood building (ocean view) room 50803 and it was awesome. It looked just like the pictures on their website and in the brochure that we received just before the trip. The colorful brochure that we received in the mail was definitely a help, and we used it everyday. The driftwood building had just finished being remodeled and it included it's own lobby with another reception area. One elevator here was being serviced to have the carpeting replaced, but it was only down for about 4 hours while they did this. The 2 other elevators there, was more than enough for everyone else staying there. Some of the other seamist buildings I would not stay in……The sandcastle and some of the other motel looking ones. When Sea Mist says that they have something for everyone……they really do. You basically get what you pay for. If you want a cheap room, you will get a cheap room, probably in a building that they are in the process of remodeling. We Spent $450 on the Fun in the Sun package for a 4 day 3 night stay, and it was awesome. The kids loved the water park, they loved Family kingdom, They loved the onsite playground, the beach. Sea mist truly does have the total family package. I would recommend it to all my friends. We will be going back to Myrtle Beach in July, and I will definitely be staying at Sea Mist Resort again. Oh yeah, There weren’t any bugs in the room or on the balcony (we were on the 8th floor). The elevator did have a slight pool water smell to it, but that was to be expected seeing as how most of the kids got on and off the elevator in their bathing suits. My only complaint would be the indoor pool areas, they were very outdated and very run down. The pool in the driftwood building was definitely the better indoor pool. Luckily it was 85 degrees the whole time we were there and we stayed outside. I read a review on here about a room in the sandcastle building that was sandwhiched in between the parking garage and the nasty indoor pool, and their “balcony” door actually opened onto the concrete surrounding the pool. IT”S TRUE!!!!! Like I said you get what you pay for. When you go to book, be specific, tell them that you don’t want to stay in a building that is currently being renovated, you want to stay in one of their newer buildings and also tell them that you don’t want a ground floor. There was a lot of noise in the parking lot until about 12:00, but after that security made sure that no one was too loud. I expected this as well though because, it’s the beach and it’s Spring break, do you really expect people to be quiet!? There is so much more I could say about this hotel, but I’m tired of typing…See the pictures I attached and if you have any more questions or need any tips contact me.

PS. IF you have read the other bad reviews on trip advisor and don’t want to lose your deposit by changing hotels, you can always call sea mist and change the building you are in. I definitely recommend driftwood or the tides building, they are both nice and have both been renovated. We were originally in the sandcastle building , but after reading the bad reviews I immediately called and got my room switched to driftwood!

• Liked — The room looked exactly like the pictures on the website
  • Disliked — The indoor pools were so outdated and old, we did not want to swim in them
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Knoxville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2008

We stayed over Easter in the Spray building on the 6th floor. We had to walk a two flights of stairs and had an elderly couple with us so that was a bit disappointing. This part of the resort had not been remodeled and had old furniture and the hallways smelt like your grandma's house. The view of the ocean was beautiful and the location was amazing. I would stay at the resort again but would recommend the Tides or Driftwood building as they are ocean front properties but are remodeled.

• Liked — cleanliness
  • Disliked — out of date furnishing
SC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2008

I booked a room in the Palms Building on the way down to Myrtle Beach. I was informed that my reservation was non-refundable because it was a same day reservation. When my daughter and I arrived, I wanted to cry. I had only ever stayed at the Kingston Plantation and the Sheraton and was not prepared for this.

The "resort" is very run down. The lobby was outdated and small for such a large complex. The parking structure was a bit of a walk through a seedy area to get to our building. The elevators up to our floor were very dirty but fast. The exterior of the building was in great need of updating. I felt a bit like what a prisoner must feel like walking to their cell.

The hotel room had recently been updated but not completed. There were several areas in which the molding had not been completed and what was left was what looked like a hole in the wall with mold. The appliances were very used and I didn't even glance into the cupboards. The toiletries were sub par (bar soap and combined shampoo/conditioner). The most frustrating part of the whole stay was that the other guests around my room partied until about 4am. They were very loud and boisterous and they made for a long night of tossing and turning. I was not comfortable calling the front desk to complain because to be honest, I didn't feel very safe in this motel and didn't want to upset the obviously very drunk guests.

If you are accustomed to quality when you travel, then this is not the place for you. This would be a great hotel for struggling college students trying to have a good time on the weekend.

• Liked — It was a short walk to the beach.
  • Disliked — The area felt very seedy.
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2008

I was 18 at the time and stayed at the Sea Mist with a few friends and it was very nice. There wasnt many kids there, most people complain about kids my age partying and making noise. Well you wont have that problem here. The rooms were clean and had a great view. I was surprised to see that my room had a plasma tv. I would stay here again.

• Liked — The room
  • Disliked — room phone didnt work haha
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Sea Mist Oceanfront Resort? Share your experiences!