“the dunes at seamist” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #116 of 214 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Inman
“the dunes at seamist”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

We stayed at the dunes building from June 24 thru 29 2012. We stayed in the family suite, 2 beds in bedroom and one pull down in living room area. The room was not in the best of shape, floor was in need of repair, the door did not seal when closed and the main ac unit did not blow cold air. the tvs were dated and not many channels to choose from if your a tv person, they were no pay per view movies. we had to always be sure the refrig. door was closed and it would still open slightly on its own. the stove top was electric and the coils did not lay flat. cabinets were cheaply made and wasn't big enough for our weeks stay. the main bathroom was mostly clean they could have done better around the corners. the shower was big enough and the water was hot. the bedroom was in a little better shape and that ac unit worked, the bathroom was a little cleaner than the main one. the dressers were way out dated and worn out with water damage around the bottom. Overall the resort in whole needs to be updated. the elevator is small and i wondered if it was going to just quit while we were in it.
We bought the family package which included All resort amenties, family kingdom and water park,we got an $80.00 early reservation EZ card good for anywhere in the resort, one free breakfast at tenas, One free entree at Three Steps Down Bar and Grill and 20% off the rest of our bill. which i felt was a good package deal($1185.00). the woman who was cooking breakfast was taking orders from people while cooking and was direct in asking your order but was not rude by my standards. I enjoyed breakfast as did my family. NOW, as for the dinner at Three Steps Down... service was horrible, we and everyone around us waited forever to get our food and when they did get their food it was incorrect. management was worse and the food was cold,we ordered steaks, which was not cooked to what we ordered and did I mention COLD, baked potato was burnt, dinner rolls were hard. The only good thing was the salad which I think came from a bag. The woman at the table next to us had the manager come to her cause they brought wrong food and he replied with this is what i heard you order and then walked away...the 95.00 bill we got for our food was crap!!!!! I don't know how this place is still open, Three Steps Down is a perfect name for this place which describes the quality of this place!!!! Overall for what we paid for this resort I was happy, for a place to lay my head down after a day running around it was good. Again beware of Three Steps Down.

Room Tip: try not get room by pool or elevator if your one not to stay up all night.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (446)
Spartanburg, South Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012 via mobile

My mother-in-law booked our family vacation at the Sea Mist. She misread the rating of the "resort" on Hotels.com and thought it was going to be much nicer than it was.
1. When we checked in, we waited at least an hour in the office, which was packed shoulder-to-shoulder with everyone else trying to check in.
2. We stayed in the Sandcastle building. The 2 elevators were incredibly slow, tiny, and smelly. We had to wait almost another hour just to get our stuff in the elevator and up to the 5th floor, as EVERYONE else on the property was trying to do the same thing at once.
3. When we finally got to our "oceanview" room, we marveled at our gorgeous view of the adjacent building. Of course, if you stepped out onto the balcony, and craned your neck to the left, you could actually see the ocean.
4. The floors were very dirty. I understand that you're going to have sandy floors at the beach, but this was just dirt and grime. As we were bringing our stuff in, I spilled some cooler water on the floor and when I wiped it up with the towel, it was black. My feet were also black after walking around on it for a few minutes.
5. The door to our room was damaged and would not close properly without slamming it (sorry neighbors!)
6. The entire "resort" was hard to navigate from one area to another. We had 2 small kids with us and were trying to get to the children's splash pool. We finally found it on the opposite side of the complex, but we couldn't access it without either walking out to the street and back around the building and through another parking lot, or by going through the adjacent building, down onto the beach, and back up through the parking lot. Nothing about the entire place was convenient.
7. On check-out day, housekeeping was knocking on our door at 8:30 am, wanting to know when we were leaving. Check-out wasn't until 11. Not to mention, they never came to our room any other time the entire week.
In all, I believe the Sea Mist was once a crappy, across-the-street hotel that started buying up all the other crappy, run-down hotels around it, slapped some matching paint on the outsides and called itself a resort. I can speak for my entire family when I say that we will never go back to the Sea Mist.

Bluefield, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012 via mobile

First day we got there our room phone didnt work, it had been cut from the wall, then our room keys stopped working, they had us checking out two days early, patio door lock was broken, elevator barely worked in the sandcastle bldg, and the last night we had to call security for the noise outside. Water resort was ok for my two little kids my 12 year old was bored! Not for older kids! Laminate floors in room makes for a lot of sand on your feet! All in all this place is overrated! 2 thumbs down!

New Braunfels, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

The beach is beautiful definetly would come back! :) but the hotel ugh NO when we first went to book in the staff were rude, they gave us a room in a building that looked like a dirty motel or worse it was right infront of the pool so it was always noisy! -.- the rooms are REALLY old the first night was fine we went into there lazy river (not that bad actually) and then the arcade (good also) but then that night we were in our room when in the wall there were 2 cockroaches we called the front desk, they said they would give us another room but we just wanted to get out of there so then they gave us the option to stay in the room but they would put animal poison like we said we wanted to leave so they gave us back the money only for the days we hadnt stayed! so at midnight we were out looking for a hotel but to tell you the truth i actually think the hotel websites dont show you all of the hotels! when we got there, there were lots of beautiful hotels, so we found this hotel called blue hotel i think it was called it was so beautiful it had a bowling alley, lazy river and arcade etc we payed the same amount we had payed at sea mist but yet had LOTS of fun without cockroaches :)

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

Well, by the title we have been going there many years. I am now 14 years old and we go there every summer for vacation. We usually leave very early in the morning to go there and get there around 3-5 pm. We check into our hotel ( driftwood ocean view) and we just kind of unpack and relax after the long ride. For the whole trip it is my mom, my dad and I and in another room it's my brother and my grandparents. These rooms have an ocean view, two beds, a bathroom and a small kitchen area. We usually go to eat in the general area of myrtle beach and then we go shopping for food during the week. During the next days we will eat breakfast in the hotel and then we will go to e waterpark. My brother and I will go to the waterpark and eventually go putt putting or go swimming in the indoor pool. The. Well go to dinner and go to broadway at the beach or go see shows. I am glad to go every year and I would recommend this to anybody who would love a nice family vacation. Oh and there is no fitness center.

Room Tip: Driftwood hotel ocean view.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Lenoir City, Tennessee, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012 via mobile

We thought the room we reserved was a little larger than it was but we enjoyed the view Which was over the waterpark. The building is called The Palm. It was clean but the maids wanted to come in at 9:00 a.m and we asked them to come back & they said they couldn't. So that upset me a little. We weren't offered the package deal but it was only $3.00 for the waterpark. It needs some updating but that's in the works but the staff was friendly. Laundry was expensive but oh well. The kids enjoyed it except for the outdated tv that you can't hook up their game systems & they were pretty small tv's. The beds were ok but the pull out bed was hard as a rock.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012 via mobile

The Driftwood building has a great view of the ocean. The rooms, room service, and staff were great! It's a great value for families with kids or grand kids. I advise everyone who reads this to not overlook the Seamist Oceanfront Resort, it's a great resort and has lots to offer!

• Stayed June 2012

Been to Sea Mist Oceanfront Resort? Share your experiences!