“Hope you dont need to go up to your room” 2 of 5 stars

Sea Mist Oceanfront Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   1200 South Ocean Blvd., Myrtle Beach, SC 29577   |
Ranked #116 of 214 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Bakersville
“Hope you dont need to go up to your room”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2007

It was a good clean hotel, but getting the elevator to go to are room on the top floor was awful........ We waited and waited. Always full of people.

• Liked — Wood Flooring
  • Disliked — Getting the elevator
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (446)
North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2007

Our family goes to Myrtle Beach once or twice a year for a weekend beach trip. We have stayed at Sea Crest, Landmark, Captain's Quarters, Coral Beach, Caribbean, and now Sea Mist. I think all of these hotels are fairly comparable. You have to understand: Myrtle is not Hawaii, it is not a 5 star vacation. It is a little "cheesy." But, the kids love it and you take it for what it is. We basically look for a 2-room suite, heated pool, lazy river, wireless internet, and continental breakfast a plus! I was apprehensive to book a reservation at Sea Mist because of all the bad reviews; however, my 7 year-old daughter saw the website and was set on going. I was pleasantly surprised! The staff were great and quickly and courteously accomodated all of our needs/requests. We didn't do the family fun package because with a 3 day vacation, we were happy to spend the time at the beach and pools. We stayed in a family suite in the Spray building and our friends stayed in a two room suite in the Palms building (right next to the onsite water park). We were on the first floor, which was extremely convenient. We would sit out on the patio for breakfast and could go right out to the beach. The downside was that it was a little noisy at night and in the morning. From the other reviews, I was hesitant to stay "across the street" where our friends stayed...but, it really wasn't a far walk. Others complained about the pools being far apart. We thought this was a plus, because if one pool or hot tub was crowded or had obnoxious guests, we could easily find another. The five kids in our group, ages 0-8 absolutely LOVED the water park and children's activity pool. They also enjoyed the indoor/outdoor pool. The pools, rooms, and hallway were all very clean. The rooms and buildings are a bit dated, but does it really matter? A continental breakfast would have been nice, but we at cereal and utilized the kitchenette so that the kids could snack throughout the day as they were hungry. There is a great pizza place about a block south on Ocean Boulevard. We also ate at El Cerro Grande Mexican Restaurant a couple blocks north on Kings Hwy. The service was excellent, food delicous, and served fast! We had a terrific vacation. The resort was perfect for our two young families.

Stayed September 2007
Jersey City, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2007

My family reunion was held at the Sea Mist resort in 2003 (I know, a long time ago) and I had a great time. The hotel was clean, the pools were great, the beach was beautiful (only a few steps from the hotel) and the staff helped us to book places to host our get togethers.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed August 2003, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
GreenvilleAgent
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2007

Where do I begin this nightmare of a hotel...My family stayed at the Sea Mist for Labor day weekend. The first thing we noticed when pulling up to the hotel was how trashy of an area it was with hookers and scummy looking people hanging around the streets of the property. We immediatly started scouting for other hotels, but, because of the holiday everything was sold out. We reserved a "ocean front" room & upon checking in was given an "ocean view" room & was told all the ocean fronts were sold out. We had to park 2 streets away from the hotel due to the small parking lot being full, which is a scary walk especially at night. When we got to the room someone had turned the a/c all the way down & the room was freezing. We put our bags down turned the a/c off and left to find a place to eat dinner. When we got back to the room my wife slipped and fell on the plastic faux wood floors that are in these so called "remodeled" rooms. There was so much condensation built up on the floors that you couldn't walk on them without slipping. We figured we would just go to bed & find a different hotel far away from here the next day. We crawled into bed and the sheets, blankets & pillow cases were damp and very musty smelling. Needless to say we didn't sleep more than 2 hrs. that night. First thing the next day we were out of there and stayed at a nice hotel in North Myrtle Beach. I could go on & on about all the pitfalls of this dump I am only given so much room to fit everything I have to say. Summary: You would have to be crazy to stay at the Sea Mist "Resort".

• Liked — Leaving!
  • Disliked — Staying!
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Chickamauga
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2007

The photos on their website are pretty deceptive. There are wall to wall hotels in this area and this hotel is an older one. I was quite shocked at the room after seeing the photos they have online. However, the check in people were nice. The room was clean (which is of utmost importance to me) and they upgraded us to a room with a full kitchenette (my daughter was on meds that had to be kept cold) at no cost. We did not stay on the ocean side but instead were across the road which was fine because my daughter really couldn't care less about the ocean. We did the package thing were we got free tickets to the water park and the amusement park. The water park was within easy walking distance from our room but the amusement park was 5-6 blocks up the road and while the admission to the park was included in our package the parking wasn't. Parking was $6. The park was very nice and clean and was professionally run. All in all we had a good time and my daughter enjoyed it. The water park needs to be updated.

In response to the lady that was upset because there was no carpeting on the floors and instead was lineolum, I am sure this is due to the fact that it is very hard to get sand and other dirt out of the carpets and time consuming and costly to have them professionally cleaned. Having stayed at a similar hotel (in age) in Panama City Fla that had carpeting I can say that I liked the lineolum much better. A broom and dust pan were included in our room as well as iron and ironing board and even an umbrella.

The bathroom was well stocked with towels and washcloths and courtsey shampoos,lotions, and soap. The first full day we were there we had the "do not disturb" sign out and the maid didn't bother us at all but left a huge bag of towls, soaps,lotions, shampoo, garbage bags, etc... haning on the door handle.

I think this hotel would be perfect for a young family. It is affordable and there is a lot to do within a short distance. Yes it isn't a new 5 star hotel but the kids don't care. There is even an arcade on the premises.

• Liked — price and things to do
  • Disliked — no ability to connect on the internet.
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2007

This place made us sick, literally! My son and I had to go to the ER because of the conditions, I will explain.
We had an oceanfront room, 10th floor and it seemed like we were the only ones in the whole place.

First, I checked in and they charged me $30 more than they quoted me, which I accepted without argument.

Place is dirty, old and run-down, definietly true!

Parking wasn't bad for us, but we went out of season so I would have been SEVERELY angry if parking was an issue.

You have to PAY to get into the resort water park. What???

There were NASTY gross HUGE bugs that come out at night. They were crawling on the wall next to our bed when I woke up at 5AM.

Bedsheets and blankets were stained.

Cable channels left a lot to be desired for a rainy day.

TV was old, small, and crappy.

I did receive good directions to my room from the nice gentleman that checked us in, but I think I just got lucky to get the nice guy because the rest of the crew wasn't so kind.

They post a pretty nice note in your room letting you know that they are about to tear down all their buildings and build new ones...gee, I wonder why? Maybe because the ones there are about to fall down without any help!

The rooms in the building I stayed have vinyl hardwood flooring rather than carpeting and there were NO RUGS we used towels. Stupid in my opinion, but maybe they had no other choice? It is VERY slippery for a beach environment and you cannot go barefoot in the room because sand/dirt gets annoying under your feet. My son also fell on this great flooring and injured his elbow.

And for the grand finale...
First day, my 3 yr old son started getting a clear runny nose (clearly allergies).
Second day, he started sneezing excessively and worse runny nose. I also started feeling ill this day as well as the rest of my family.
Third day, he woke up with hives over his entire body and very bad sneezing, wheezing, trouble breathing, coughing, and runny nose.
I took him to the ER (VERY unfriendly nurses and staff)
I was told that he was allergic to something he inhaled. He got an injection to prevent his throat from swelling shut and some liquid meds they literally forced down his throat with no coaxing allowed from me. I ended up with an upper respiratory infection and an allergic reaction as well. Consequently, we checked out and all was well, aside from recovery from upper respiratory infections.

I personally believe that this is due to MOLD damage and I intend to have it investigated. Especially after some of the reviews I have read about this place.

I promise you will NOT be impressed with this "resort" please do yourself and your family a favor and spend some time checking out some other hotels in the area, it will be well worth your time and you will be glad you did.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — we became ILL during our stay due to the environment in the hotel!
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Chattanooga, TN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2007

This was our second visit to the Sea Mist & we have had a great time both times. Granted, this is not a 5 star hotel, but I never expected it to be. Especially for the good deals that I have gotten there both times. I have to say that our rooms this time were way nicer than the last time. I recommend staying in the Driftwood building. There isn't a speck of anything orange in that building...lol. It has been remodeled & the beds were much more comfortable than the cheaper rooms that we stayed in a few years ago. Also, I never saw any sort of bug or creature on either visit nor did I smell any bad smells (except for the bridge to the kiddie area in the water park), it was rank! We didn't visit all of the pools, but the one outside of the Driftwood was cleaned everyday. The Family Kingdom is also a fun thing to do at night & that is included in the family package. They also have a really decent arcade. We ate our free breakfast at Tena's & it was fine, but I probably wouldn't pay for it. We also had dinner at their new restaurant called Three Steps Down. It was decorated really nice & the food was good, but a little overpriced. The cable TV is not the greatest, but I can watch TV at home. If you are looking for a clean place to sleep at night after spending you day outside playing in the sun, then this is the place. Every employee that we came in contact with there was also very helpful & pleasant. We will definitely be returning.

• Liked — The price
  • Disliked — The parking
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Sea Mist Oceanfront Resort? Share your experiences!