“Amazing Vacation - Will Definitely Go Back” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Island Vista

You added Island Vista to your Saves list
Island Vista
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   6000 North Ocean Blvd., Myrtle Beach, SC 29577 (Formerly Sea Island Inn)   |
Special Rate
Book Direct and Save!!!
Ranked #8 of 215 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
Clifton Park, NY
“Amazing Vacation - Will Definitely Go Back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2007

Stayed here from August 11-18, 2007 in room 308. I hadn't been to Myrtle Beach in 20+ years and this was a fantastic vacation. The hotel is in the perfect location and we had a wonderful vacation.

My wife and I, plus 2 friends, stayed in a 2 bedroom oceanfront suite. We had a smooth, easy check-in and when we got to our suite, we were blown away. Everything was sparkling clean and still had that "new" smell. We could have fit 10 people in the 2 bedroom suite - so much room. The 2 bathrooms made things nice, especially since we had the private bathroom off the master bedroom.

The only con about the room, was the maid service. We had to constantly call the desk and ask for more soap and shampoo and we were given dirty looks when they were delivered by the cleaning staff.

As I said above, the hotel couldn't be in a better location. Surrounded by houses and no other hotels, you have the beach to yourself. We never had to fight for a spot or be crammed up near someone. We definitely enjoyed this, vs. the crowded, loud downtown area.

The outdoor area with the two pools and hot tub was nice. We stayed there one day, because of high wind that was blowing sand like crazy, and we had no trouble getting a chair. The kids were annoying though - not the fault of the hotel, just the fault of parents who don't know how to control their kids when they are kicking you in the face or splashing you. For some parents, the pools became a glorified babysitter.

The only other con, for us, was the cost of drinks at the tiki bar. Every drink we had was at least $8 plus tip. I expect this in Hawaii, the Caribbean, and other exotic locations - but not in Myrtle Beach, SC.

All in all, we had a lovely stay at Island Vista - it is a fabulous resort that you should visit right away!

• Liked — Location and great suites
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2007

Family of nine (5 adults, 4 kids ages 3-11) stayed in a 3BR/3BA ocean front unit on the seventh floor. I can't state enough how beautiful, clean and HUGE our room was! Big balcony, large kitchen w/ granite counters, comfy beds and pillows, plenty of closet space, washer/dryer - it was all there!

We had an easy (2 hrs early!) check in and the bellman (2) were there almost immediately to help us unload. Property is gorgeous and located in a great residential neighborhood. Everyone in the place was friendly and helpful. Food Lion / CVS were two blocks away for necessities. Pleasant housekeeping always responded quickly w/ needs of extra towels, coffee, etc. We did not eat at the restaurant so I cannot comment on it.

Pros: Clean clean clean! Housekeeping was there by 9:30 everyday. Huge rooms. Kitchen fully stocked w/ china, silverware, skillets, baking pans, utensils (but no dishwashing soap!). Beach was NEVER crowded and plenty of space to move down a bit and set up your own umbrella for shade. Pools were always clean and plenty of chairs/lounges. Tiki bar was handy although a bit pricey - $20 for two frozen drinks. Plenty of lunch type foods available from burgers to PB&J's for the kiddos. Hot tubs were HOT!!! Kids activities varied from painting seashells, to tye-dying tshirts and ranged approx. $8-12.

Cons: Parking garage is annoying but bearable. We have a moderate sized SUV and had no problems. Inside pool area needs to be monitored more closely by staff - very rowdy older kids playing basketball in the kiddie pools and tubes for the lazy river were always gone and in the outdoor pools as floats. Great, small relaxing lazy river if the other brats are playing "chase" through the whole thing.

Our whole group had a great time at the Island Vista and for the price it was outstanding. We will definitely be back!

• Liked — Price, location, clean, big, pools, beach - pretty much everything was perfect!
  • Disliked — No staff monitoring indoor pools - older kids too rowdy for shallow pool area.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
Durham, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2007

I am writing to comment on our stay at the Island Vista. I must say that our stay was fantastic. The hotel was great, and the staff was very friendly. >From Chris who made our reservation, to Gail who checked us in, to Wesley who helped us get our bags to our room, to various staff who we met on elevator rides, everyone was very accommodating. The staff who we met on various elevator rides, always greeted us with a smile, and a friendly hello. And the wonderful lady who cleaned our room, always greeted us with a smile, and made sure we had extra towels upon request.

It's very nice to be away from home at a hotel like the Island Vista. We have visited Myrtle Beach for many years, and I commented to my husband that this was the first hotel that didn't have that "hotel feel". It felt like a home away from home. I appreciated the cleanliness, and fresh atmosphere. The hotel didn't have a pool, or wet smell. Not in the hallways, or the room.

Island Vista is now where we will stay every time we come to Myrtle Beach.

Please continue to keep up the great work.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
Knoxville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2007

I will echo all the other great reviews and say that this is a great hotel. I can't think of one negative thing to say. The parking garage is not any worse than any other. I never had a problem finding a spot and just go slow and turn your headlights on and use common sense. Pools are great. Beach is uncrowded and
perfect. Rooms are the cleanest and nicest I've ever seen. And HUGE!! Can't wait to go back next year. My entire family loved it.
It's almost to good to be believed.

Virginia,USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2007

We have been coming here for MANY years in a row.
We really loved the old small hotel for the size and family feel (which is totally gone now by the way) but really can appreciate the new LARGE rooms with washer and dryer, kitchen, big bath and great furniture. We were very sad and flustered to be totally over run by the vacation masses during our stay. Too many people at the pool and lazy river made for an eyesore. Lots of wild looking people on this trip like none we had ever seen before. This had a huge impact on us and I sadly have to say that I wonder if we will ever come back. If we do it will be for the dining room food and service!

Negativesand positives listed below-

Lobby- We had a terrible, awful check in. I have never felt so ignored in my life. This is the main area for any hotel to make a great 1st and lasting impression and they BLEW it! Bad service!!!
Too small - main entry way for guests is hard to move around in. Front desk does not face entry. Strange for brand new construction. Very confusing layout for checking in. TINY, TINY Hallway to elevator made lots of guests mad. Not to mention the wet running kids coming in from the lazy river. Elevator area is NUTS! In addition- Front desk staff needs to speak up and say 'hello, How can I help you?" or anything that makes you feel noticed would be nice. There were the old timer super nice people at the front desk and they were always helpful! We loved them!
Lobby doors and elevator stainless steel need to be cleaned more all day ,lots of finger prints and such. Elevator floors are mopped a lot which is nice. The bellman situation is a COMPLETE disaster and a major flaw for this huge property. This needs the owners attention!!! Good luck getting your stuff to your room by yourself. It took us 1 entire hour to unload our car. The only concern we ever got was from a nice maintenance man and a worried housekeeper. The front desk needs to handle this and arrange for a bellman upon a guests arrival! Lack of front desk attention again.

Pool/Beach- Lazy River-watch you kids so that they can be safe in this small congested area. There is basketball being played by kid's who are WAY too old to be in the lazy river. Basketball needs to be taken OUT! Bummer! They say that someone is watching this area but I could not tell where this mystery person was.
No pool chair hogs really. but need MORE umbrellas for shade. LOVE the pool towels. Towels are a real plus.
Attention!!! Don't like hair brading area -low class- Wacko idea.This has got to GO!
Love the Tiki Bar but the bar tenders are VERY under staffed and can't wait on you in a timely manner. You will DIE standing there waiting to get a nod of some sort. The order taking process is way too involved with the crazy computer. Drinks are sadly weak. Order a beer if you want a "real" drink. Food (because it comes from the super kitchen staff) is great and tastes yummy. Cute Olga waitress is friendly and quick.
Pool is VERY clean and so is the nice grass and sidewalk area. Nice showers by the walkway to beach. Great attention to pool area noticed. Always looked fabulous. Clean is the key here.
Great lifegaurds(on beach) with very nice beach rental chairs and umbrella service. This service is just great for the hotel! Clean huge beach with lot of room in a quiet residential area!

Room- SUPER!!! love these rooms can't say anything bad. Sheets are great and smooth. Baths are big. Carpet is nice and clean. Beds are soft. Housekeepers REALLY know what they are doing we had top notch service in our room. Kitchens are perfect and well stocked. 4 people fit in a 1 room condo just fine but no more. Murphy bead in den is like a folding graham cracker but we loved it! Our porch railing was loose and moved a lot! Also...
Really good casegoods that you can actually unload your clothes into!!

Cypress Room- Dining Room- Sam, Terry and Phil are the BEST and we LOVE them. Not to forget the people cooking the yummy food in the back! We think the food and service can't be beat! THE best food ever! Hands down! Prices are great and food presentation is beautiful. Wonderful bar. The numerous experienced wait/support staff knows their stuff too. They always know when to fill your water or coffee. I have always loved the dining room. This is the best part of the hotel. Keep in mind-This is dress up! No hats or bad flip flops please. Save that T-shirt for the beach and put on a shirt with a collar! I hope that this part does not ever get changed to an all you can eat buffet. That would be sad. But of course the hotel would make more money off the "eaters" which seems like what they want anyway. Everyone likes money and I can't blame them.

Our children adored the kid's staff. They had games and activities at the ready all day. Personal attention here. Very friendly! Great fun! If you go sign your kid's up for a few of the crafts. These girls need to be transferred to the front desk and given a blue shirt pronto.

No complaints about the parking deck because we can drive a car.

We love this place but it's size will get the best of it one day. We don't know if we will be back. We may look for a more family friendly, calmer and smaller place next year. if you go you really WILL love,love this hotel. It is wonderful overall and a great value for your money. The best on the beach! These are just my opinions and most of them would be overlooked by the average joe. I will have to say in all fairness that this is only the 2nd summer for them in their BIGGER place. Maybe with some powerful leadership in some key areas they can get these problem issues ironed out before the 2008 season.
Enjoy your stay! Your family will love it and will talk about their trip to Island Vista all year.

• Liked — Dining room on site with meal package! Service in dining room. Huge clean beach!
  • Disliked — The front desk service. Reservations for dining also not good.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2007

My family and I stayed at this hotel the week of July 21. It was terrific. The room was very nice and extremely clean. This is a beach hotel and there was never any sand on the floor. The room also had a dishwasher and a washer and dryer. The pool area was large with two pools and a lazy river ride. This area was also kept very clean. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The best part was the beach. The hotel is surrounded by houses . This made the beach very Uncrowded!
My kids could pass a football and not worry about hitting anyone. There was plenty of room to spread out. If you are planning a trip to Myrtle you won't be sorry if you stay here. One more thing, the parking garage is not that bad.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2007

We stayed at the Island Vista the week of July 21. I am not sure what I enjoyed most: the location (quiet residential area that provides tons of beach space), the facilities (great pools, loved the lawn area), the staff (they were everywhere and friendly). The major downfall as mentioned in all other reviews is the parking garage. However, we knew what to expect after reading other reviews, so we were fine with it. We did have an issue with the one outdoor pool being cool for a few days as Myrtle Beach hit a record low two nights we were there, but that was a minor issue that was made up for with everything else. My one child burns frequently at the beach, so he loved the indoor complex. The lazy river and pool are attached and include a basketball hope. The river probably could have been larger - but was unique with the waterfalls included. The kids splash pool was nice as well.

As far as chair hogs go - I didn't see this like I do at other MB locations. We had our chairs early as we are out by the pools by 9; however, most days people coming down by 11 had lounge chairs and there were always upright chairs all around.

We didn't eat at the tiki bar, but saw food coming out all day. We did use the picnic tables to eat our packed lunch - they were shaded, nice touch.

The pool and lawn were just the right size. The lawn had some trees for shade - I saw many families with napping children there.
The north pool was great for my youngest he could touch the middle 2/3's of the pool. It steps down from 1 foot to 1.5 etc down to 3.5 feet. He loved it and I felt was very safe. The ends are 5 foot for older children/adults.

We rented from a private owner and had the nicest room I have ever stayed in. They provided every amenity you could think of.

I hope to go back again.

• Stayed July 2007
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Island Vista? Share your experiences!