“Horrible” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #110 of 214 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
nc
“Horrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2007

Hated our stay because it was not worth what we paid for one night. We asked for non-smoking and got a smoking room which reeked with air freshner along with a cigarette butt left on the floor.
We were told to check in around 3:00 and when we arrive around 3:30 the service desk said check in was at 4:00 so we recieved a different room that was supposed to be clean.
The hotel is old in age with deteriation on the building and inside appliances that were rusted. From the beach looking at the building you can see the deteriation where the balconies were worn out. I was afraid to let my daughter on the balcony because there was a metal brace holding the front of the balcony from falling apart.
Customer service was not friendly at all. No response when we checked in of have a nice stay, welcome to our resort nothing. When we decided to leave one night earlier than the two night stay we planned there was no questions of why are you leaving, was everything ok, thank you for staying with us, come back, not even a thank you.

Stayed August 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
hartford, connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2007

We were booked at this hotel through a travel management company for the baseball tournament my son particpated in. The location and beach are fabulous but this hotel is very run down and dirty. The pools are old and my kids had no desire to swim in the off color water. When we first checked in, our room was nasty - no sheets on the beds, the bathrooms had not been cleaned, the floors were filthy. I demanded either a new room or someone to clean it. The cleaning staff did respond quickly and get the room to an acceptable state. We had to beg for towels everyday in a room that we paid $279 a night for!! Clearly no money has been invested in keeping this resort up to date. I would never stay here again nor recommend it to anyone.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Condition of hotel and room
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2007

This is the 5th year we've stayed at Sands Ocean Club. We book through CRS and have rented the same condo each time (2 BR, 2 BA in the red building). The first year we were very impressed...this year...not so much. There has been NO change to this condo over the past 6 years. Same bedspreads, shower curtains, blankets etc. The walls have patches of spackle (not painted), the shower curtains are mildewed, the air conditioning vent cover in one bedroom was missing, the rug between the two rooms was ripped and coming up. The owner of this unit needs to clean it up!

As far as housekeeping...there was none. When we got there I found the dishwasher full of dirty dishes that were so caked with stuff I had to wash them by hand to get them clean. A dirty, ash filled ashtray was on the counter. It made me wonder if the room had been cleaned after the last tenants left - it didn't appear so.

Parking was more of a problem this time. We never got a spot in the lot connected to the hotel and had a hard time finding parking in the lot across the street - probably due to the many spaces taken up by construction equipment, old rugs, etc.

Ocean Annie's: We like the atmosphere of sitting on the beach, listening to music but we have some questions. Why do they only serve Natural Light beer??? It's awful. The band (The Beachcombers) played the same songs every day!!! We were there for a week and you could set your watch by what song was being played - Carolina Girls, Five o'clock somewhere, Margaritaville, Tenth Avenue Freezeout (BAD), Otis Day & the Nights song from Animal House, etc. The plugs to pick up their new CD of 14 songs (apparently the only ones they know) were frequent. We actually most enjoyed the recorded music that was played while the band was on break.

On a positive note: The hotel & condo buildings are now connected and the lobby and elevators have been updated since our stay in 2005. We did not experience long waits for the elevators. The view from the balcony is spectacular and we enjoyed sitting out listening to the night music and watching the fireworks.

Myrtle Beach is a great vacation spot. The beach is beautiful, there are some great restaurants and we found everyone very friendly but I think in the future we'll try a more upscale place to stay. It seems the Sands Ocean Club's time has come and gone.

• Liked — Location. Beach, listening to music on the beach
  • Disliked — Didn't feel clean, parking
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Charlotte, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2007

I do have to start off by saying, I booked the room online via the Sands website....never again. That was the only major downfall. I was on the Sands Ocean Club page, hit book now, put in my dates and it listed various options. I selected the room I wanted...then the next day when I got my email from them, it was at a different hotel in their group....I go back and look at my paperwork and yes, it was for a different hotel....but why would they switch hotels when I was on the Sands Ocean Club page....my fault obviously for not paying attention to the fine print....

I call they tell me they cant transfer my reservation, but they could refund and rebook me. The refund would reflect on the account in 10-14 business days. (I have still yet to see the refund and called yesterday and only accounting can handle that m-f 9-5)

The hotel is older...dont expect a fancy 5-star experience, but do expect comfort, sun and lots of fun.

We were in 1622, ocean view...we were so high up there was nothing in our view but ocean, we might as well have been oceanfront.

We did have a problem with our AC not working properly, we called downstairs, and 20 minutes later they were there to fix it. It was a sensor on the sliding door to the balcony so the AC was getting a signal that the door was always open...thus the AC wouldn't stay on.

River City Cafe....good for a bite on the run, or before heading out to Ocean Annies for drinks. Good Service, great attitude from the staff, and the food (burgers, seafood, apps, etc) was really good. You can also get take out from here which is nice on a sunny day.

Ocean Annies....what can I say...the best beach bar in Myrtle. I have been coming here for about 15 years with friends and family and have always had a blast at Ocean Annies. The service could be better but the drinks are always cold and they never skimp on the alcohol.

The Lazy River....it has about 10 floats for the whole resort?!? The river is small and it seems to be where unruly kids hang out in the later afternoons....but they could use some extra floats.

Overall we had a great time and will come back soon.....without booking through their website.

• Liked — Ocean Annies
  • Disliked — Booking through the website
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Martinsville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2007

Our family just got back last week. We stayed July21st-26th. We stayed on the second floor on the Ocean Annie side. The room was very clean and the maid cleaned our room everyday and brought us fresh towels also. After reading all the wacky reviews we were very astonished that our room was nice and clean. Yes this hotel needs some upgrades it's not perfect but, I will say for the price who can argue. The bar is awesome! The Windows resturant has the best buffett for two and the price is right. The Grill has the best cheeseburger and homemade fries. Our girls loved the beach and the lazy river. Overall, I think that we had a perfect vacation and the staff there was very friendly to us. When it was time to pack and leave the bell man came and loaded up our luggage and helped us pack it in the car. I think that the Sands Resort is a nice place to go and stay.

• Liked — Ocean Annie and Beach!
  • Disliked — Elevators!
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Charlotte, NC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2007

I got sick on my stomach when I first opened the room to my hotel. The furniture did not match. The bedspread on the bed looked like it has never been washed. I pulled back the covers and the brown blanket
had 3 cigarette holes in it the size of a cantaloupe. The stove was cruddy and rusty. The waist-line refrigerator was old and rusted. The
picture on the internet showed a full-sized one. The carpet on the floor was old and bulking in many places. It looked like astro turf.
The floor didn't look like it had ever been vacuumed. A 50" by 50" piece of drywall was missing in the closet, displaying exposed pipes. The other small closet would not open because the hinge was stuck. I requested a nonsmoking room, but it was obvious by the ash trays and the smoke I inhaled that it was a smoking room. The railing on the balcony had loose screws in it. The inside drawers of the dresser were molded and mildewed. The hot water was so hot that as soon a you placed your hands underneath the facet to wash your hands you got scalded. The door on the inside looked like it has been kicked in. It had rusted ding marks all over it. The hotel staff
was mediocre. The parking deck was a joke. If you weren't careful you
could hit your card on the narrow drivethru. When our room was cleaned they did not even empty the overstuff trash cans. The entire room smelled like mildew, dirt and grime. I warn everyone to beware of this hotel. Don't fall for the information on the website. We were charged $140 per night which was $120 overpriced in my opinion.
I would never in a million years stay at this hotel again.
FYI...Oceans Sands is a condo/timeshare facility. Each room is owned by an individual or property management company who obviously do not care anything about putting money into it. Of course the website does not alert you to this fact. You only focus in on the word RESORT. Which is a joke. I would rate this condo/timeshare/resort a 1
star and that's being generous. Bookers beware!!!

• Liked — nothing!!!
  • Disliked — staff, room, housekeeping
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2007

This is the hotel my family has stayed at off and on for 18 years because of the location and Ocean Annie's ( the outside bar). However, our rooms this time needs some major repairs. We were very disapointed.To start small, in the effiecency, the shower curtain was mildewed and it fell. The vanity was rotted near the floor and the doors on it wouldn't even close and the sink top was pulling away from the wall. The carpet needs to be replaced, the wallpaper was old and 2 different shades. We even had to ask for light bulbs for the kitchen. In the adjoining bedroom the pull out couch (which we intended to use) was broken, the stove was rusted and the oven door wouldn't even open! The refridgerator wouldn't keep our food cold enough, we had to cram everything into the smaller fridge in the effiecency. The online photos must have been taken years ago. We are looking for a different hotel for next year (2008) with upkeep better than this one. This is a disgrace.

• Liked — Ocean front and Ocean Annie's
  • Disliked — The rooms looked like they had been forgotten in time
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Sands Ocean Club Resort? Share your experiences!