“So dissapointed ;o(” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #110 of 215 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
NC
“So dissapointed ;o(”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2008

I have just returned from a Labor Day weekend at The Sands. It was the WORST vacation I have ever experienced. There were nothing but problems starting with parking at the Sands resort across the street on the 4th floor and having to carry our luggage down 4 flights of stairs because the elavators were not working.
I then tried to use a luggage cart only to be told that guest were NOT allowed to use the carts without paying a bellman to do it for you. Once again the elevators were not working but this time it was in the lobby.
On our 2nd day there we left our room to spend some time at the beach, after a few hours I went back to get something from our room, only to discover that yes maid service had been there BUT they left our door unlocked. ANYONE could have come in. Trying to check out was also a hassle because different ealvators were not working AGAIN. I am So disappointed with The Sands Resort.

• Liked — the beach outside
  • Disliked — terrible accomadations, service etc
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2008

HORRIBLE
I dont know where to begin maybe the elevators dirty slow just took too much time to get anywhere we were on the 12th floor.
The room was dirty alot of water damage to bathroom draws and cabinet doors broke. No toilet paper had to ask for it.
Towels hard and smelly. The balcony (oceanview) was scary broken concrete and loose rails made it real unsafe. Pools were dirty and not kept up or looked after. The resturant on site windows was only open for breakfast and nothing else on site was opened till noon Cafe was graffitti filled sticky floor and table food was good but had to take it to go if you were wearing anything nice. Was first time to myrtle beach probably my last if stay there you are better off going and checking out room before you book anything we were sorry we didnt do that the part where we were was isolated from main strip. I hope they stop ripping people off

Stayed August 2008
Charlotte,NC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2008

Rooms were VERY old and outdated. Cleanliness was a problem. Live band played by the pool, which was nice, EXCEPT for at 11pm at night! If your room faced Annies Bar, you could barely hear the TV over the band. Dont plan on going to bed early. BRING EAR PLUGS. Our room did not get serviced for the ENTIRE morning. We put the sign up at 9am, and at 2pm, they were just getting there. We finally told them to leave us fresh towels and they could go. Elevators very slow and stop at practically EVERY floor!
Location is pretty good, on the beach. Definitely not a 3 star, which some web sites state!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
Colonial Heights
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2008

My husband & I stayed at the sands ocean club Aug. 7-10th. Once inside the room, I noticed how dirty/stained our sheets were. i called housekeeping & they brought more dirty/stained sheets! The carpet is filthy & really they need to do some major renovations.
The only positive thing is Ocean Annies. It is very nice to sit out on the deck & listen to the band.

• Liked — ocean annies
  • Disliked — the filthy room
Fort Worth, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2008

My fiance and I stayed at the Sands Ocean Club for a weekend while we were in town for a wedding. Our primary goal in our hotel was to be near the beach--and this hotel is perfect for that.

Are the rooms nice? No, they're not. The hotel is a bit of a dive. It's very outdated. And yes, there were some roaches. These things actually didn't bother me too much because it's a pretty good price to be right on the beach. Parking is free as well.

I never heard noise from the bar at night, even though we were right above it on the 2nd floor. I didn't think the clientele was especially shady or anything...lots of families with kids, normal vacationers.

If you plan on being in your room for any length of time, this hotel is not the place to be. But if you just need a place to lay your head after being out at the beach all day, this place suffices. Also, very convenient to have restaurants on site.

• Liked — Location right on the beach
  • Disliked — Dirty, outdated rooms
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Pennslylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2008

We were excited to stay at the Sands Ocean club, when we arrived the lobby was very nice, the clerk at the desk that checked us in was very polite and full of information regarding the hotel. We got to our room after 6:00 p.m. that evening and the room was not cleaned, we had to call to have someone come to clean the room. It took them longer to get up to the room then it did for them to clean it.

There were several times during our stay that we did not get new towels, the dirty ones were left there and never replaced with new ones.

Ocean Annie's was the best part of the hotel, lots of fun dancing and enjoying all kinds of cold refreshing cocktails.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2008

I am not sure where these other reviewers are used to staying. We had a wonderful trip. I was traveling alone with my daughter and felt safe and enjoyed staying here. I have stayed at various 5 star resorts in Myrtle Beach area and for the cost of this trip compared to those previous trips, I was completely satisfied. Sure there is a bar area, but you just avoid that area at various times. There is still plenty to do without worrying activities going on there. There was a lot of firework activitiy during our stay. That is completely beyond the motels control. They do not own the beach area and it is patrolled and monitored by the Police Department. We were greeted by a friendly person to help us unload and was checked in and in our room in 20 minutes. I am already making reservations and plans to return next year. One other perk was 4 free lunches each day served by a wonderful staff. Please remember that some of these reviews complain about customers and the motel has a limited control over behaviors. I was involved in some unappropriate behavion from another person staying there. I reported it to the front desk and one of the three security personnel took care of the problem to my satisfaction. The room was great, complete with a stovem microwavem and fridge.Our room was cleaned daily, Definitley stay here. I plan on returning.

• Liked — Great staff and welcoming atmosphere
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Sands Ocean Club Resort? Share your experiences!