“Never cleaned our room!” 1 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
FALL/WINTER Spectacular!
Ranked #110 of 214 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Clyde, North Carolina, United States
“Never cleaned our room!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

We checked in on the Saturday before Easter. We asked for our money back after we saw that our room was three buildings back from the ocean. We were also upset that we did not get the free admission passes to the adventure cruise, wild water and wheels or the Ocean Drive pavilion that was included in our rate. They told us that because we booked online there was nothing they could do.
We got to our room and there were no luggage carts so we had to make several trips to unpack. Then we were very disappointed to find that there was no full kitchen as promised we had a miniature stove and dorm fridge.
We decided to make the best of it by visiting the indoor pools. The health club pool closed at 8 pm so our kids were disappointed because this is what they look forward to. Then we finally found the other pool (by the way the checking staff did not give us any info about amenities locations, hours, etc.) only to find it was closed due to a chemical imbalance. This took3 days to reopen! We were disgusted when we finally got to use this pool. There was black mold and foam with a black grime in the pool and hot tubs! Both of my children broke out in a rash a couple days later. There were ceiling tiles hanging about to fall on the people in the pool.
We stayed for a total of 6 days and housekeeping never once cleaned our room despite multiple calls to the front desk. We were able to get someone to bring us a broom no dustpan to sweep our kitchen and bathrooms...they waited outside our room to get the broom back! You can imagine how quickly a room can get nasty with 2 adults and 4 kids.
They treated the clean towels like they were made from egyptian cotton! Had to make several calls for these as well or just pitch a mound of dirty ones out in the hallway. This vacation felt like camping in the wilderness! Don't get scammed! I recommend Captains Quarters...they were all booked up but it is great, clean, and very family friendly!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

Immediately, the staff was very courteous. Everyone we passed in the hallways said enjoy your stay or hello. One of the bellhops, Jordan, was very helpful and informative of nearby restaurants. The room in tower 1 we had was not huge but worked for us (2 double beds). No real problems with the room, as in damage or anything broken. The breakfast was good even though it was slightly pricey. The best part was that the hotel was not expensive and was right on the beach. The pool was clean, both indoor and outdoor. The location is in a place that doesn't seem crowded but yet within 10-15 miles from most attractions. Very happy i stayed there and will most likely stay again.

• Stayed April 2013
Charlotte, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

You get what you pay for! Never again will I return to that so called place "SANDS OCEAN CLUB". The smell is VERY VERY bad. That place should be shut down! NASTY NASTY NASTY NASTY! Small pool and I see they had a lot of families there, the door/bell men are very helpful,but they always looking for a tip! Once you book at "SANDS OCEAN CLUB" you can NOT get your money back, it was great access to the beach, but on the other hand anyone off the street can access "SANDS OCEAN CLUB" pool just like the beach. Glad it's over NEVER AGAIN

New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Ok, so the hotel probably couldn't do much about the obscenity-screaming (former) lovers who were going at it in the parking lot at 3 am. Sometimes drunks are like forest fires: If they're not doing much damage you can just let them burn out. And the screaming kids roaming the halls at midnight? Well, I'm a parent and I love kids but will somebody please tell these parents to teach their kids how to behave respectfully in public? Given, that's a parental problem and not something the hotel could probably have much luck policing - though it wouldn't hurt them to try.

But the cleaning staff that started working at 7 am, talking to each other in voices so loud it was like they were trying to make themselves heard at a Stones concert? Slamming doors and, from the sound of it, running Army surplus M1A1 Abrams tanks down the hallway while people were trying to sleep? That I'm not getting.

The place is on the beach - good. The hotel is not beautiful but it's adequate. The rooms are adequately clean, though ours smelled like mildew, as if it had been flooded at some point. There are two swimming pools, with the indoor one looking suspiciously murky - not so good. The service ranged from fun (the guys at the front door) to helpful but disinterested (the people at the front desk) to intent on sabotaging your trip (the shouting cleaning staff). I know their job isn't easy but, sorry, I'm still not getting waking vacationing people up at 7 am for no reason. Is that how you win better tips?

I love saving money, but I'll look elsewhere next time.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms near the elevators!!!!
Green Sea, South Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

The hotel is beautiful. From walking into the lobby and seeing the huge aquarium to just walking to the elevator. And the view of the ocean is incredible! At just the right time the moonlight shining on the horizon is only something i have seen that well at this location. The rooms are always clean when i arrive and the service is always ready to help carry my luggage and open my doors for me. The rooms are gradually becoming more up to date and modern, not that it was to far behind to begin with, but the decor and TV's and the in room kitchens are all the amnesties i love about this place. The balconies don't have much to them but i see that as a way to draw your attention to the real beauty of the beach and ocean. Nothing beats waking up in the comfy beds and walking out on the balcony to be bathed in the beautiful warm sun and the sound of the ocean.

Room Tip: Its the luck of the draw, but I have never been put to a bad choice.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

I rented a room for three days, when we arrive the parking elevator door doesn't want to close,so we have to walk no signs to tell us about stairs we have to walk the ramps with all the cars right next to us,we register no problem but the hotel have this weird smell I don't know what it is,it's like water damage smoke and how know what else,but the rooms smells even worse,my kids got sick,I not saying was because the hotel but we have to stay in the room all the time, the beds horrible,falling apart,my son open a door to find out it was another door behind that door, stupid,time to check out I paid in advance that was my big mistake,they want me out of there a soon as possible, they went to tell me I have to leave before 11:00 am, no option to stay from their side, time to check out because I did the booking whit HOTELS.COMthey charge me 30.00 on tax when I tell the lady I already pay on line all the fare including taxes and everything,she look at me like if I was from another planet and tell me I was nothing what she can do I have to paid period,that's the tax I have to pay to the hotel,stinking rooms, bad beds,rude people over charge,,,, sick kids to complete the nightmare,I'm glade it's over

• Stayed April 2013
Prince George, Virginia, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

When I arrived in my room I found out that the room was previously use by another guest. When I went to the desk to complain the young clerk only offered to replace what was used by previous guest who did not like her view. Pool closed at 11. My kids was upset, we thought we would be able to swim all night. Tried reaching hotel manager all day did not get in contact with him. Will never use this hotel again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Sands Ocean Club Resort? Share your experiences!