“Relaxing family vacation with our small dog” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save Up to 30%!
Ranked #14 of 214 hotels in Myrtle Beach
“Relaxing family vacation with our small dog”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

We were very pleased with this hotel. This was our first time to Myrtle Beach. We came with our two children and our small dog (this was our first vacation with our dog). Although our room could use an update, it was very clean. Great value for the price. The staff is very helpful and friendly. It's right on the beach, perfect for a relaxing vacation with the family. We would definitely come back :)

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

1,011 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
Ottawa, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

After booking this hotel online and reading all the great reviews and praises about friendliness of staff and hotel being dog friendly we were expecting nice and relaxing vacation. Web page suggested to check with hotel before booking to confirm about pets but I didn't feel that was necessary because reviewers talked about dedicated pet areas outside the hotel and went on and on about the hotel being dog friendly. Big mistake on my part! I should have called hotel directly before booking. They allow only dogs up to 20 pounds in weight. We have a black lab, and although we never had any problem checking in and staying at pet friendly hotels ever, and our dog never made any mess or created inconveniences of any sort for anyone, that obviously didn't mean we would be automatically allowed in a hotel that advertises itself as pet friendly.

So, I can't write the review about this hotel's amenities and cleanliness of rooms because we were not allowed to check in. However my family and I do have a pretty good picture of "friendliness" of it's staff and their so called "pet policy".
After driving for 17 hours we arrived at the hotel around 10 p.m. very tired and in desperate need of rest. There was a big photo of the dog on the wall at reception area which made me feel good about the hotel being pet friendly. I told receptionist that our dog will be staying with us and she asked what breed was our dog. Then she told us that we will not be allowed to check in and the best she can do is to call the company we booked through and let them know that hotel will not charge us anything and we would be refunded the full amount. She handed us (incomplete) list of pet friendly hotels in the area and pointed in direction of the phone in the lobby which we were allowed to use to arrange our alternate accommodation.

She was right about the fact that their 20 pound per dog policy was listed on the website.
She was right that we should have called in advance to check about the dog policy.
She offered some sort of bare minimum solution.

She was also anything but friendly, I would dare to say that she was condescending.
She made a smug comment about us booking through third party (it was a great deal I should add).
She offered bare minimum to resolve our situation and acted as we were just wasting her time by showing at her door.
She never called the company we booked through despite offering to do that. If I hadn't called them we would have been charged for a full stay at the hotel we were denied to check in.

Unfortunately, as we learned later, weight limit pet policy is quite common at Myrtle Beach hotels.
I urge anyone to read the small type in pet policies of PET FRIENDLY hotels before booking.
Please be aware of false advertising. Otherwise you may end up being forced to board your dog after you arrive to your vacation spot.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
OceanaResorts, General Manager at Ocean Park Resort, Oceana Resorts, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent experience with Ocean Park Resort. We regret that you were not able to enjoy a pleasant stay with us and that your experience with our staff was not what you expected. Please be assured that we will address any staff issues accordingly.

As for our pet policies, we do indeed enforce a rule of 20 pounds or less for dogs staying at our resort. We apologize that the policy was not clearly communicated to you. We make certain that we clearly state our policies in all proper booking locations.

Again, we regret that you were not able to enjoy the full experience of a stay at Ocean Park Resort. We do hope you’ll consider staying with us again in the future.
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

The hotel was really nice and clean. We had an oceanfront room with a kitchenette. It had everything we needed. The room was not very wide so there was little walking space, but that was ok. The indoor pool was very warm which was very nice because the ocean was not quite ready for swimming. Parking was great, we never had a bad spot. The only reason I gave 4 our of 5 was because of the elevators. There were only 2 and on the last day we were there only one was working. We were on the 11th floor, so it took forever to get all of our bags downstairs. I would stay here again, but I would request to be on a lower floor, so I could use the stairs if needed!

Room Tip: I would choose a room on the lower floor just in case the elevators were to go out, so you could use...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here this past weekend and overall it was a great place. The room was large with full kitchen, comfortable beds& large flat screen tv. Also, it was great to be able to bring our dog. We took advantage of the grooming services and were very disappointed in the way she looked when we picked her up. Her ears were still wet, she had not been brushed out, and her top knot was on her neck. Thank god we didnt get a full groom with cut. Also, our room was ocean front but was partially blocked by overhang which prevented sun from coming into our balcony and a wall right beside our balcony which prevented us from being able to see down the beach. Pool area was great.

• Stayed March 2013
Machesney Park, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Very nice place to stay with our pet. Comfortable beds and good kitchen. The location is good and I appreciated the security person being around when I had to take my dog out in the middle of the night. The hot tub and pool were very enjoyable and the other guests were equally happy there and were pleasant to visit with. The staff were very friendly! I felt very comfortable at Ocean Park and we have made our reservation for next year. The only thing we missed were more comfortable chairs in the living room.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

very friendly staff especially Cameron and Stephanie. carpets could use a cleaning. very nice overall experience very beautiful views linens and bedroom mattress is very comfortable. could use an extra blanket or 2 in the room. kitchens were nicely equipped. temperature of pool and jacuzzi excellent

• Stayed March 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

I stayed at Ocean Park the month of February with my cock-a-poo. Since my husband passed away, I travel alone with my pup. The staff at Ocean Park were fabulous. There is even a groomer on premises to help with your pup. The room was very clean and the price was right. The beach front balcony was perfect for having coffee in the morning and enjoying the sunshine. I am looking forward to next year.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Been to Ocean Park Resort, Oceana Resorts? Share your experiences!