“It has it good spots and it bad spots” 3 of 5 stars

Ocean Forest Villa Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5601 N. Ocean Blvd., Myrtle Beach, SC 29577   |
Ranked #164 of 214 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Columbus, Ohio
“It has it good spots and it bad spots”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2010

WE stayed at Ocean Forest Villa for 5 days and 4 nights. I first investigated the room to see what we needed to buy at the local grocery store. My first thought of the room was that it was very dated. And new carpet. And needed some amenities such as pot holders and cookie sheets and a new stove.
The first meal, I shared with my family, the kitchen chair breaks on me with my 9 month old daughter in my lap. I could have been really hurt...so uncool. I also had to bake french fries in an oven without a timer and a cookie sheet. Thank goodness for extra places ...
The lamp above the kitchen also short circuited and blew out.
The kids had their own room and their tv did not work. It was supposed to be hooked up to a VCR which did not work and there was no cable either.
The pool and water park though were nice. My kids and I really enjoyed the lazy river. The sad thing is that I checked with housekeeping who told me that the pool area and water park would have towels... and they did not.
Over all it was ok stay, if I would come back, I may look for another place to stay at the resort. Not sure if it all was worth the price I paid for our room.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Lewisburg, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2010

This branch is located right across from the beach, have stayed here before with a ocean view that was spectacular, this time we have the ocean front with the same wonderful view. The staff is friendly and helpful, the condos have all your basic needs. The location is great close by shopping centers. When staying at any of the branches you have access to the sands waterpark and all that they have to offer.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Wilson, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2010

The whole time we stayed here, they only changed the sheets, emptied the trash cans, and gave us new towels. They did not vacuum, clean the toilets, showers, or sweep. The mattresses we very uncomfortable, and the master bath was EXTREMELY tiny. The location was fine & close to the beach. NO internet access there; you had to walk to the Ocean Forest Plaza in order to get a signal. They lied to us when we made the reservations and said that they did have internet access there.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Boone, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2010

We stayed at OFV many times and we alway stay in C303. Very nice clean unit with a great view of the pool and ocean. No crowds was the best part. If I go back to the beach it will be same place because I know I cannot go wrong.....AAAAAAAAAAAAA++++++++
HINT- Rent from the private home owners only.....

Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2010

We stayed 4 days at the hotel.
Pros - Its located very close to the beach..takes 5 mins to reach from the hotel room. The beach is privately owned at that spot so its not at all crowded. Parking is not a problem.
The view from the patio is great! The kitchen was very well equipped. Room service was good. The rooms were clean.
Cons- The furnishings in the rooms needs to be upgraded..It bears a old kind of look.
The interiors of the hotel too need upgradation.
But overall a great find for the price!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Asheville
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2010

My family spent an hour looking at picture on places to stay in Myrtle Beach, and we thought we had found the "Best" place. The photos of the OFV online where beautiful, fluffy bedding, beautiful kitchen, wonderful rates. The only thing that was true was the wonderful rate. I actually called to book because we wanted to stay somewhere with an indoor pool. The lady who took our reservation assured us that an indoor pool was "right next door" at the ocean plaza where you have to check in, BUT when we checked in there were signs everywhere that said if you are from the OFV you may not swim in the OP pool and that violators would be prosecuted for trespassing. As we went to our villa in D113 the hallways smelled so moldy that my daughter ( she has asthma) started having breathing problems. Our room was not like the one in the online slide show! It was spacious and appeared to be clean, but it just felt and smedded dirty. The funiture and bedding looked like it was from the 70's, not comfortable at all. My daughter and husband both started wheezing within 15 min of being in the room, so we had to leave. We went to a sister hotel ,The Sand Dunes and they gratiously let us transfer into their hotel. This is our 3rd day here and we are having a blast! The short time at OFV we did walk over to the beach, the residental road you have to cross is not that busy & the beach was nice and quite. So, if you do not have allergies,do not have young children, & your looking for peace and quite OFV would be Okay.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
NC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2009

We have stayed at OFV many times. This time there was definite degradation of the rooms/facility. The first room we were assigned was filthy, complete with stained carpet, broken cabinets, outdated furnishings, and a toilet that didn't flush properly. All this eventhough we requested a recently updated room. I was too afraid to have my toddler in the room, so we asked to move. The second room was somewhat better, although the furnishing were clearly in need of replacement. The closets were packed with the owners personal items, we squeezed a few hanging items in the master bedroom. The heater in the family room was broken, and we had to go purchase a heater/fan unit to warm the second bedroom. To top it off - the previous renters left some "good vibrations - not sold in stores" party supplies.

Worse, my son left his Christmas Wish Book on the side table, along with his little craft box. We tried to contact housekeeping - called a ton of times throughout the day. No one returned the call. When I finally pleaded the operator to find someone, the housekeeping manager said nothing was turned in to lost and found. And her response: Better Luck Next Time. She said the room was left messy. She kept changing her response about the room cleaning, stating at one point the room wasn't cleaned for a few days after we left. We left on Sunday, my first message was on Monday, we spoke on Tuesday. What's that about? TRUTH FOLKS - NO WONDER THE ROOMS ARE DIRTY! Anyway, I responded to her point that we had taken all of the trash to the dumpster ourselves and the linens were the only items left in the room.

A manager, Mr Hagy, did speak with us. When we asked about the room conditions, and the inconsisent story even he provided about the room cleaning. He said because we used the hotel.com rate ($69 was too much) that he would give us a $40 cleaning discount. At one point he also said the 2 rooms we had were "under renovation" and were not scheduled to be booked. WHAT HELP - & CAN ANYONE TELL THE TRUTH HERE!

Heads up homeowners and potential renters! You should demand a certain standard of quality. Like I said, we've stayed here on numerous occassions. The location is nice and it's in a quieter area. It's terrible that Sands Management takes such a non-caring approach to its customers. Someone should've been responsive to our concerns and shown a little empathy that my son's book was left - instead of trashing it which is what really happended. Well, last I checked, customers keep a place in business, and word-of-mouth is some of the most respected form of advertisement.

We'd love to stay at OFV, but only if we book through the homeowner. That way we know what we're getting upfront. Goodluck otherwise.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family

Been to Ocean Forest Villa Resort? Share your experiences!