“Don't waste your money!” 2 of 5 stars

Ocean Dunes Resort & Villas
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   201 75th Ave N, Myrtle Beach, SC 29572   |
Ranked #156 of 215 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Charleston, South Carolina, United States
“Don't waste your money!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

The only positive thing about the hotel was the view. The front desk was unfriendly, unprofessional, and each staff member at the front desk gave a different answer or excuse when asked various quesions concerning a number of issues. The room was absolutely disgusting. There were black stains ALL OVER the carpet. It looked as though the carpets had NEVER seen a cleaning. My extended family, which stayed in another room, was so grossed out that they slept in sleeping bag because they were so afraid to use the sheets. The "concierge," who is actually is a pushy time share representative, was deceiving when offering us with "discount" tickets. Upon refusual to book, she became condescending and overbearing. We were also not able to book the free excursions because they were all booked up, evn thought it was a day in advance. For paying $139.00 a night (plus $over 30 in room tax a night so it was essentially $169.00 a night) , the hotel could not even accommodate the most basic needs like an extra blanket. My family and I occupied several rooms and even though we all booked the same packages, we all received different "benefits" and once again each front desk person gave a different answer as to why that was the case. Duane, the bell hop, and Bill, the maintenance guy, were the most professional and courteous members of the staff. There are tons of places to choose from in M. Beach. Don't choose this resort. Look at the percentage of poor reviews before you book!

Room Tip: Ask for updated or renovated room.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Clarksville, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

We booked this resort based on the price and the amenities (Water park, Cataman trips) but the problems started from the start! When we entered the room, we were shocked at how dated it was. The refrigerator broke two days in a row. Blood and "white stuff" was found on two separate beds on the sheets, plus we had stained blankets. Went to the indoor pool, only to find mold, yes MOLD growing on the ceiling and walls. It was disgusting! My husband just returned home from a deployment and we wanted a relaxing vacation and got a nightmare! I spoke to management who offered a comp night, which never happened! I am shocked that this hotel has not been closed due to the fact that mold is present and because they do not care about their guests! Worthless!

Room Tip: There are no good rooms!!!!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Huntington, West Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

My family and I planned to stay here when we won a "free" trip through my husband's employer. It was the only hotel included in the package for Myrtle Beach, which didnt bother me until I read the reviews. I am somewhat of a clean freak and terrified of any type of bug, so when I read the reviews of this hotel I was extremely upset. Once we got there, we were given a room in Tower 1, and upon entering I was disappointed. The room looked like a fraternity house. We requested another room, and the young woman at the front desk was incredibly helpful and without an ugly word, gave us another room. While I was standing there, I learned from another employee that these efficiencies and villas are sold as time-shares or vacation homes, and sometimes the owners "renevate" their rooms without much say from the hotelier. It totally explained the unfinished tiling and baseboards, and kitchen area in our first room. The new room was also in Tower 1, but it was just as you would imagine a beach hotel to be. The hotel itself is just a little outdated, but otherwise, totally clean and welcoming. The housekeeping staff was efficient and helpful, visited to straighten up once a day, and usually they appeared at least one other time during the day to ask if we needed anything else. On site, there is a smallish waterpark that was perfect for all of us. There is a waterslide area, a regular 5 ft pool, and a lazy river in it, and admission was included. There was also a small convienient store and restaurant there which we enjoyed. The kids ate breakfast for free everyday! There were two flat screen tvs, which was helpful when my kids would sit and watch a movie for a bit and we could have some rest time. Overall, our stay was great! The staff was lovely and the rooms(and hallways and restaurant as well, I noticed) were very clean and well attended. I would recommend anyone to stay here, especially with children. But I would keep in mind what I said about the villas and efficiencies being privately owned.

Room Tip: Ask about whether the room you are being given has been renovated by the owner, and stipulate that y...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Lexington, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

We have stayed at both the Sand Dunes and Ocean Dunes in Myrtle Beach for many years...more than 8 years. Our overall stay was very nice. The Ocean Dunes seemed a little nicer on the room size and features. We are a family of 4 with kids 8, and 11. We like the amenities (Nice Waterpark, nice ocean side pools, breakfast buffet is good, and extras....) This year our stay included free tickets to the Surfside Wildwater Waterpark for free...as many times as we wanted to go- this was wonderful). As you can tell...we spend very little time in the room...sleeping and a quick lunch breaks. Beds were comfortable...full size not queens. Everything seemed clean...we are not picky so others may think its average. We did get to enjoy the elevator skipping floors, etc...that just adds some fun to the trip..kids loved it.

We will return to this resort next year.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Columbia, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

To start off, we stayed in the Ocean Dunes - Tower I, 12 th floor. The room was dingy and dirty. There were no windows in the front room so the lighting was terrible and it appeared that the blankets on the beds looked dingy. The carpeting was dirty. The kitchen was tiny and cookware was missing. The furniture/decor was outdated and the tv was very old.

The lighting in the living area was better because that's where the ocean front balcony was. A flat screen tv was in this room so that was the only plus.

Now let's get to the bed bugs. I was eaten alive and I do not wish this on anyone. I had bite marks on my arms, chest, neck, back, and a few on my legs. I was so itchy and unpleasant. I reported it to the manager and of course no one has responded.

Please do not stay at this dump! If you value your familyand vacation time please don't do it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012 via mobile

I have exceedingly basic needs. I need clean, safe, and possibly friendly. I expect elevators to open at a single floor (instead of between them). I expect "renovated" to mean "not a filthy hell hole." I expect the water to be a reasonable temperature instead of scalding while still in the blue. Finally, I expect the vermin to remain outside instead of sharing the bed with me.

I learned something new on my trip to Myrtle Beach this year: that "Palmetto bug" is a euphemism for cockroach. And according to the staff at Ocean Dunes, we built on their land, so we should be respectful and try to coexist. I felt like I was in a parallel universe where the only force of nature was filth. The roaches are what I could see... I can't imagine what I couldn't. "Dated" typically means the style is outdated, not that it hasn't been cleaned in years... But in this case it was both.

After spending 1 night at Ocean Dunes, and switching rooms 6 times between my and the two other families I was with, due to the presence of roaches in EVERY SINGLE ROOM, we hightailed it out of there. I have had better experiences at $39 motels than this cesspool of misery. Avoid this place at all costs if you value your health.

On checkout, one employee told me "I don't blame you. We get this all the time." When I get home I'm calling the health department. This place is a hazard, and I would say it should be razed, but I fear that the massive colonies of roaches it must harbor would disburse and afflict other places undeservedly.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

The room smell like wet animals. Rug torn. Comforter old. Blood stains on comforter. Spider crawling on the wall. Poor customer services.

Came on a timeshare presentation with Fiestiva Adventure Club. After reporting these condition, they didn't offer us any other hotel accommodation. So we left Myrtle Beach. All hotels were booked.

• Stayed August 2012

Been to Ocean Dunes Resort & Villas? Share your experiences!