“First and Last Stay Here......” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Myrtle Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Myrtle Beach Resort to your Saves list
Myrtle Beach Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   5905 South Kings Highway, P.O. Box 3936, Myrtle Beach, SC 29578-3936   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Fall Weekends 30% OFF
Ranked #89 of 215 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
GRAY, TN
“First and Last Stay Here......”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

Stayed in room 1202 Sept. 7-14, 2013 with my mother, my brother and his wife and toddler. The room was clean, but small. The sofa bed was very uncomfortable, I felt like I slept standing on my head...the bed frame must have been bent. Turned the ice maker on in the fridge and it smelled terrible, so we had no ice during the stay. You only get enough towels for one day, so this means you HAVE to do laundry yourself in the laundry room that is located on the first floor with machines that cost $1.75 a load and more for drying. Bring extra towels and wash cloths and laundry detergent. They only clean your room before you arrive and after you leave, so you have to clean the room yourself during your stay. Who wants to clean and wash towels on vacation?!?! The view of the ocean and beach was nice, but the balcony was very small. Barely enough room for the 2 chairs that were on it, but who wants to sit out there with all the Pigeon poop and feathers?!?!? This was the first time I've ever had that problem at the beach and also the first time that I had seen Crows on the beach. There were more Pigeons and Crows than Seagulls. I'm thinking maybe it is because this "Resort" is located between campgrounds?!? The beach bar is loud on certain nights and loaded with obnoxious drunks that "caterwaul" late at night. Inside the Tower building was very quiet though, you rarely pass anyone in the hallways and never hear any noise. The beach was nice, but there are 2 storm drains on each side of the Tower building and one of them looked quite nasty will stagnated water in it for a few days until they dug the sand out and the water moved freely. There are signs there that talk about bacteria possibilities. There were dogs on the beach all hours of the day, this didn't bother me as I'm a dog owner too.....but I thought there were certain hours that you can take your dog on the beach??? Maybe these restrictions are lifted after Labor day??? I need to read up on that. Also, the gift shop was not open, it must close after Labor Day? I don't know for sure. I spent most of my day on the beach basking in the sun from sun-up to sun-down, the weather was perfect that week...no rain at all...that was my saving grace for this vacation. My brother reserved this room at this "Resort" and you get what you pay for. This was my first and last time at this "Resort", it is not a place that I would have chosen at all. So in a nutshell, I wouldn't recommend this "Resort" to any of my friends or family. As for restaurants.... Bubba's Fish Shack in SurfSide is great....I ate one of the best steaks of my life at Thorny's....and for Mexican I suggest El Cerro. Happy traveling. :)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Marketing Manag... M, Manager at Myrtle Beach Resort, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
We are sad to hear that your experience was less than pleasant. We will address a few of your concerns here to assist other travelers plan a more pleasant experience...
Yes after Labor Day Myrtle Beach as whole begins to wind down and services and beach rules do change. Certain amenities such as the gift shop are very slow in business, so they do close that store. The store does however move the more popular items to the Galley for guests to continue to access year round.

As far as the condos, they are all privately owned. They are furnished and decorated according to the taste and budget of the individual owners leaving no 2 condos alike.

You stayed in an ocean front efficiency which is ok for 4, but best for 1-2 people due to the size being around 400sf. It features a queen bed and a sofa bed as well as a small but fully equipped kitchen. The resort offers efficiencies, studios, 1 bedroom and 2 bedroom condos. For a family we usually suggest at least getting the 1 bedroom condo for added comfort of the additional square footage. 2 bedroom condos offer separate bedrooms for the parents and the kids as well. All condos feature a living room with sofabed, a fully equipped kitchen, balconies with various but lovely views, and at least 1 full if not 2 full baths.

As far as housekeeping services, in the vacation rental industry it is standard to clean and prepare the condos before and after each guest stays, but no throughout the week like a hotel. That said, if you book through us directly, we do have the ability to add those services on for you as frequently as you choose. Fees are based on what services you want and how often. Prices are reasonable as well.

It seems as though your brother tried to assist you in planning a great vacation, but maybe you would have been happier if you had reserved it yourself so that we could have listened to your personal tastes and needs and assisted you in choosing a condo you would have been both comfortable and happy with.

If you ever choose to return to Myrtle Beach Resort, feel free to call us directly and our friendly reservations staff will be happy to assist you in planning your vacation based on your personal wants and needs.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We stayed here for two nights while on holiday here but had I checked the rooms before paying we wouldn't have stayed. It was very dowdy and wasn't convinced of the cleanliness of it. A lesson learned I checked every hotel after that. The reception area looked okay but wasn't impressed with anywhere else in it. I didn't think the staff were that great either, very can't be bothered.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
We are sorry that you were not "impressed" with this resort, but are appreciative of your review and perspective. Myrtle Beach Resort is a beautifully landscaped resort that is a bit aged, but very well kept and designed to be an affordable family friendly vacation spot. The MB Resort HOA spends time every off season making necessary repairs, painting, and updating the grounds and the resort. The condos are all individually owned and are maintained and furnished by the actual homeowner themselves. For that reason, some folks like some condos better than others.

If you are searching for elaborate or brand new facilities, it is not. It is however a really nice place to rent an affordable privately owned condo right in the beach. For our readers we suggest that you go onto our website, Facebook page, or even come take a tour and decide for yourself. We realize we can not please all the people all the time, but feel certain that you will find this to be a nice place to stay.
ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

My husband and I along with my brother and his wife stayed in a private owners unit A528 week of September 7-14. This unit is very well kept. Its clean and comfortable. The weather was perfect that week!!! The resort is well maintained. We definitely would return!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the myrtle beach resort for as short vacation. We booked a condo that slept 8 people for our family of 5 and my mother and her husband. Parking is listed as free but you don't learn until after you arrive that this is only for one car. Having 7 people we had 2 cars and had to buy a second parking pass on arrival. The room I booked was described as a 2 bedroom (with queen beds) a sofa bed and bunk beds in the hall. We instead got a 2 bedroom one queen, one with two twin beds and a sleeper sofa, no bunk beds... Because we were only staying a couple of nights and had small children that could easily all fit in the twin bedroom we decided not to waist our time arguing with management over this issue. The location was great right on the beach the kids LOVED the pools and lazy river. The rooms were clean and comfortable. My only other issue was that my mother and infant son got stuck between floors on the elevator and it took management 30 minutes to respond and them they were rude about having to come and fix the problem, as if my mom had caused the inconvenience that caused my son to scream his lungs out for half an hour. If you want an average condo for a reasonable rate for a few nights its not the worst place you could stay.

• Stayed September 2013
Raleigh, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

Booked this unit thru MBR directly. Not with and owner. Pictures seemed like room was in good shape. Got there and it was a totally different story. Got to the room and it was a pig-sty. Room was dirty. When I say dirty I don't mean they forgot to dust. It looked like that room wasn't cleaned in months. Furniture was stained and dirty. Ceiling was crumbling. Mildew in the bathroom. The pictures must have been from years ago. The sofa looked like a homeless person used it and it got too dirty for them a they threw it out and the owner picked it up and dragged it to this unit. Yes, that's how bad it was. Left a message with the front desk. Left to go get a bite to eat. Came back and still no response. No way we were staying there especially with young kids. We got a hotel for the night and finally got a message from the weekend manager. She said that housekeeping must have been pulled away from that unit and didn't get a chance to finish cleaning. She wanted to hear our side of the story. But when we spoke to her all she was concerned about was telling us about the no refund policy and that it was not owned by MBR but a private owner (again we went directly thru MBR). She did offer to have housekeeping go in and clean the room. and also provide us with a mid-week cleaning at no cost. The room needed more than a cleaning or two. The manager admitted she never went over to look at the room. She said that she would have the manager of the front desk contact us, which they never did. Not once did anyone offer an alternative like a different unit that was clean. We ended up leaving and going to another resort. MBR should be ashamed of themselves for allowing units to be rented in such horrendous condition. Maybe instead of having the No Refund policy for renters they need to have a No Renting policy for the units that aren't fit to be rented.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Fairfield, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

Although the amenities at the resort are nice and deserve a much higher rating, our room was very disappointing. The pictures on the web site were deceiving- the furniture did not comfortably seat 4 for watching a movie at night as shown on the site. This condo was run down and not very clean. Disappointing, especially since I talked to the office about this when booking. The side of the tower that overlooks the campground is very noisy- it's my understanding that all the condos are privately owned, so if there is any way you could look before reserving, I would definitely do that.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
ilivewhereuvac, Guest Relations Manager at Myrtle Beach Resort, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear Guest,
We are very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay, as well as a bit surprised by your review.
Although our confirmations do state that each condo is individually owned and that the furnishings can change at the owners discretion, the only change in this condo from the time that you selected it on our website was an improvement. The owner removed an older leather sofa and replaced one sofa with a brand new sofa and two chairs, also brand new. This was in fact, an upgrade to an already modern and updated condo. The view is in fact southern facing and , if you look down, does include a Five Star RV Resort, Ocean Lakes, but is also a completely unblocked view of the ocean and miles of coastline. This same view is shown on our website where you selected the condo and made your reservation.
We apologize for any housekeeping issues that may have been overlooked.
While w strive for perfection, occasional oversights do occur. We are in the on-sight office 7 days a week should this happen and are always happy to take care of any issues that are reported. When looking back on your reservation I did not see any report of such.
It is with our most sincere hopes that you will contact us directly and seek managerial assistance on a return visit so that we can assist you in selecting a condo that is perfect for your tastes and family as well as the best rate possible.
Repeat guests are our biggest asset, as is guest feedback. We can only repair what we know is broken however.
We do hope to hear from you soon so that we can assist you on a future stay, hopefully one better suited to your needs and wants, so that you and your family can have a great memory of all of us here at MBRV.
Staff and Management at Myrtle Beach Resort Vacations
Union, Kentucky, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

I want to start off this review by saying that I believe you should never stay at Myrtle Beach Resort! The management involved with this resort could care less about the health and well being of its guests and only cares about the almighty dollar. I am going to explain in detail how the staff at this resort turned us away hours after driving 12 hrs to get there to the streets of Myrtle Beach to find a new hotel to stay at. PLEASE READ COMPLETELY!!!! On 7-29 we arrived at about 4:30 (1/2 hr after check in) and we checked in at the front desk. The staff was friendly at this point and a nice lady reviewed all our info and gave us our condo code. We proceeded to our room and opened the door and the whole entire condo smelled of freshly smoked cigarettes! Now when we booked the condo and agreed to all charges it was under the understanding that this was a NON SMOKING ROOM. My wife is HIGHLY allergic to cigarette smoke and I have 2 children that have asthma and must use inhalers so medically we could not stay in this condo. We returned to the front desk and told them about this issue and asked for a new condo, they said that they needed to try and ionize our condo first to rid it of the cigarette smoke and asked us to wait about an hour for this and see if it helped. We agreed to this step but also let them know that we needed them to look into other options if this didn’t work and she told us she would involve the manager right away, we went to eat dinner and this took 1 ½ hrs. When we returned we went back in the room, the ionizing machine was still running and now you could smell cigarette smoke and air freshener. It was horrible and with our health issue there was no way we could stay in this room. The smoke was not remedied it was only scented now. We returned to the front desk and the nice lady who had been helping us was gone, It was 7: 15 now and the new front desk staff person told us that the manager was gone as well and she did not see any notes in the system about our ordeal so we had to explain it all to her. She said she needed to call the manager and she did and left her a message, the manager called back 15 minutes later and while we stood there she told the front desk lady that there was nothing she could do, they were sold out and they couldn’t give us another room. Since she hung up with manager we couldn’t speak to her so we asked her to call the manager back and ask her for a refund for our room and that we would go find somewhere else to stay. She did this but had to leave a voice message again. I waited in the lobby for 30 minutes while she watched Criminal Minds. After 30 minutes I asked her again if she had heard back from the manager and she said “ oh yea, she sent me a text, she said policy is we can’t refund you and that if you want to discuss it further she will be in at 11 am tomorrow.” We were blown away, they were turning us out on the street for something we had not done. We had to go get a hotel room for the night while we waited to speak to the manager the next day. This was an extra cost and very expensive considering it was last minute. We also lost the afternoon and evening on the beach and at the pools. We did not find an available room for 2 adults and 3 children until 11pm. We were in our room by midnight. The next morning after checking out of the hotel we stayed at we returned at 11 am to speak with the manager. She basically told us they were sold out and there wasn’t much they could do. After some discussion she finally said she could move us to a room but we could only stay in it for a few days and then would have to transfer to another room. On the day of the switch she said we could not move directly from 1 room to the next and that we would have to bring our stuff up to the office and store it all there until the new room was ready. Including unpack and pack a refrigerator in their office. We decided at this point this was not what was agreed to when we paid for a full week at this resort. We have missed another half day on the beach to discuss this dilemma. We would then lose more time of our VACATION to pack our room and refrigerator up and move it to their office. Then either wait or go back to vacationing only to stop again to pack and transport it all to another condo on the property. Now you would think in this situation they could find a way to have two cleaning people clean these two rooms right at check out and make it so we can make one move. No, that’s just not possible. The message we got loud and clear was that they did not care. I don’t know about anyone else but we save for our one vacation with our children for a year and it’s very important to us. We lost a lot of our vacation time and money due to all of this. As I look at their brochure it states cigarette smoking is strictly prohibited and that if you do this you will be charged all fees and related fines. We asked for a refund of our week rental since we were not staying there and they could not maintain a smoke free room as advertised. They refused again and we left to stay somewhere else. This took up the rest of the day to find someone that had an opening for a week. I have since spoke to the manager above the office manager and I have spoken to the OWNER BOBBY JONES. He refused to refund us our money and offered us a free week stay but it MUST be during the off season. Well with children in school it’s impossible to travel during the off season when it’s warm enough to enjoy Myrtle Beach AND we don’t have extra money lying around for all the expenses it takes to get there (gas, food, etc) for the 12 hour trip. They were able to refund us 2 nights because they rented it out for 2 nights during the week we were supposed to stay but that is not enough. We should have rec’d a full refund and we didn’t even ask for the extra hotel fee we acquired our 1st night and the pain and time this all took up. BOBBY JONES said he would look into this and call us back. He has not!! I have called back several times and he will not return my calls to discuss this further. I ASK THAT IF YOU’RE READING THIS PLEASE DON’T EVER STAY AT THIS RESORT AND LET EVERYONE YOU KNOW NOT TO STAY HERE. ALSO, IF YOU BELIEVE WHAT THIS RESORT DID WAS WRONG AND UNETHICAL FEEL FREE TO CALL BOBBY JONES DIRECTLY AND LET HIM KNOW. HE CAN BE REACHED AT 843-238-1559 EXT 113. We are in the process of filing a complaint with the BBB as well. If you know of anyone else that could be contacted about this service please post. I will be posting this daily.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
ilivewhereuvac, Public Relations Manager at Myrtle Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear Guest,
Let me start by saying that we are all terribly sorry that you had to deal with this due to another guest breaking the rules. It was your vacation and should have never happened. We all wish it could be undone and that your stay could have been nothing short of perfection from the moment that you arrived.
Although we strongly discourage and punish guests for smoking in the condos, unfortunately people do break the rules and smoke in them anyway. We publish the non-smoking policy within our terms and conditions online, within all confirmation letters, on our registration forms, throughout the buildings, and in the condos along with the consequence of breaching that policy. When we are faced with it we do our best to remove the odor left behind by that inconsiderate guest and charge them the cost to do so as a consequence. It would be physically impossible to guarantee that no one will ever break a rule and thereby we do not advertise a smoke free facility anywhere. The guest leaving this review agreed to these policies during booking online and again upon arrival themselves. In addition the terms and conditions also clearly state ‘All condos are designated as non-smoking. We cannot guarantee that the property will be smoke free.’

It is regretful that we were unable to satisfy what this guest felt should have been done. However we went above and beyond our written and agreed upon policy to make them happy and were simply unsuccessful. This was not due to a lack of concern nor effort. We exhausted all of the options that were available to us to remedy the situation. The day this guest spoke with management they were offered a gift certificate for 2 free night’s stay on a future visit, a partial refund which the guest did receive, plus alternate accommodations based on availability for the remainder of their stay including gift certificates for lunch to minimize the inconvenience of an unavoidable room change. Later, Mr. Jones offered an additional free full week of vacation in a completely remodeled ocean view condo at a later date. It is regrettable that this guest was not satisfied with our efforts, but we did exhaust every avenue in an attempt to make them happy as we always do.

MBRV Staff and Management

Been to Myrtle Beach Resort? Share your experiences!