“Ocean Reef......Money Well Spent” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ocean Reef Resort

You added Ocean Reef Resort to your Saves list
Ocean Reef Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7100 North Ocean Boulevard, Myrtle Beach, SC 29572 (Formerly Myrtle Beach Martinique Resort)   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
30% savings for spring
Ranked #14 of 215 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Richmond,VA
“Ocean Reef......Money Well Spent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2007

We stayed at the Ocean Reef Resort from Aug 12-Aug 17th. We had a GREAT time, we had an efficiency oceanview room on the 15th floor which was clean and served its purpose. The bed was a little harder than what I'm use to but it wasn't unbearable. The check-in process was quick and efficient. The staff was friendly. The parking was definitely manageable they have parking directly across the street and then they have a parking garage across the street on the next corner, we had no problem finding parking at all our entire stay, and I don't understand why some people said that having to cross the street was dangerous there was hardly any traffic at that end of Ocean Blvd, and I had a 5 year old with me and I never felt that it was unsafe to cross the street the entire stay. I had a 15 year old and a 5 year old with me and they LOVED the hotel the pools and the beach and I never felt that it was too crowded we were able to get in and out of the pools and the Lazy River with no problems. The housekeeper we had spoke English and she kept our room very clean everyday we have no complaints about the cleaning staff. I highly recommend visiting Broadway at the Beach it's definitely a must, we had a great time there. The beaches were well maintained, I went out there at night a couple of times and had no problems, I only came across other families enjoying the beach at night there were some people shooting off fireworks but to me that is not that serious of an issue to address, it was just people having fun on vacation. I think this hotel was worth every penny and I will return.

• Liked — The pools and beach access
  • Disliked — The Elevators were Slow
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (457)
Staten Island, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2007

We just arrived home yesterday from a 5 night stay at the Ocean Reef and we definitely didn't want to leave! We were there from August 13 to August 18 and we had a really great time. We had never been to Myrtle Beach before and booked this hotel based on the recommendations I found on trip advisor. We arrived at about 12 pm and check-in was very fast. Our room was ready so we were able to go right up. We were given a lock and key to the safe that is conveniently located in the room and we were very much at ease leaving our wallets, jewelery, etc. in the safe while we were at the beach. We were only able to book a one room oceanfront view with 2 queen beds because everything else was taken but it was not really crowed for my family of four. The view was absolutely amazing and we could actually wave to each other from the balcony to the beach (and you could even see from the ocean to the room). One thing I especially liked was when my kids (both teenagers) wanted to go to the room and we were still on the beach, they could call out and wave when they got to the room. We were on the 5th floor.
Our room was cleaned at approximately 9:30 am every day which was when we were at breakfast and the room and bathroom was always kept very clean. As much as you rinse your feet at the many showers after the beach, there will still be sand on you which ends up in the bathroom but our room was still kept very clean. The bathroom is not new but it has a big counter to put things on and there is a blow dryer. Housekeeping was very prompt in responding to our needs. On the first day, we called for two extra pillows and the knob on a lamp was broken and they came right away with the pillows and knob.
Breakfast in the hotel was very good. There was a buffet which was very inexpensive ($9.00 for adults and $4.00 for kids) and there was a big variety of foods to choose from with tea and coffee included in the price. You could also order off the menu. We had lunch one day and it was also very good. The waitresses were always extremely friendly and helpful.
We rented an umbrella for 3 days. The first day was $25 and each subsequent day is $5 less. It came with 2 chairs and was great because the sun was very hot. Normally, I stay up close to the water, but it is such a short beach that we could still see the kids in the water if we weren't in with them. The ocean temperature was as warm as a bathtub!
As far as parking goes, there was never a spot in any of the lots across the street from the hotel. We always had to park in the garage which was a little annoying but there was always a spot available. The door to our room was very heavy and one time it was left open by housekeeping because it didn't slam shut all the way. The door to the pool and beach was also very heavy and slammed shut on my arm and I have a huge black and blue.
All in all, we had a great time at the Ocean Reef Resort and look forward to going back next year.

• Liked — The amazing view
  • Disliked — parking and heavy doors
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Columbia, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2007

On a recent golf trip, some friends and I stayed at the Ocean Reef and very much enjoyed our time there. The room/condo was very spacious and clean and offered a fantastic view of the beach. The Ocean Reef staff was very polite and courteous and were very prompt in providing service. I would reccomend staying at the Ocean Reef and I will continue to go back whenever I have the chance.

• Liked — Spacious Accomadations
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
manassas, va
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2007

Hotel staff were inconsiderate and rude. Maids did terrible job cleaning room. Upon checking in, A/C unit broke. Temperature in room was in excess of 85 degrees. Unit was finally replaced but we had to leave room. We were interrupted during this process at least 10 to 15 times within an hour while maintenance staff came in and out of our room. When we first arrived a maintenance guy walked in on me while I was changing. He refused to leave stating that he had paint work and a hole in the wall to repair. I had to call management to get him to leave. That was a little scary. The hotel in general was very noisy at night making it difficult to sleep. All of the elevators had a horrible smell inside of them. To top it all off the front desk staff turned off our key cards at 10a.m. the last day we were there. Checkout is always at 11a.m. When we asked why our cards weren't working, we were asked why we weren't out of the room yet. We were eventually credited for one night for the inconvenience. But we had to ask for the credit and they tried to make us feel like we were inconveniencing them by asking.

• Liked — The fact that it was ocean front
  • Disliked — All of the problems with the room and inconsiderate staff
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Chambly, Quebec
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2007

My family of 4 stayed at the Ocean Reef July 29th through August 6th '07. Stayed in the Parlor suite. The view was great...ocean front! Good sized room. We had 2 queen beds + queen size sofa bed. Kitchen is limited, especially the fridge space (under the counter size) with no place to store food but we managed ok. Rooms would need to be updated or at least the bathroom redone. The staff didn't pay much attention to us at all. A simple smile while crossing one another is usual custom at 2 other hotels we've stayed at in the last 2 years but not at this hotel. While check in no one at the front desk told us that we needed a password to get onto internet and that the key to the in room safe would not be available until the next morning...we had to ask about these things afterwards, we had to find out through "trial and error" The maids and cleaning staff don't speak english, so hard to get any info from them. We chose to leave a tip at the end of our stay (instead of every morning) for the cleaning lady but the front desk staff couldn't even tell us if she would be the same one all week. Not enough pools for the size of the hotel. This hotel is situated on the North side of town, but we've noticed that it's not as quiet an area as it was when we had stayed in the same area 2 yrs ago. If the city and police don't get control of the night time activity on the beach, Myrtle beach will not be the family area it once was...this is not the hotel's fault.

• Liked — The view from our hotel room was ocean front.
  • Disliked — No restaurant available in the hotel for dinner. Only available at breakfast and lunch.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Charleston, SC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2007

Ok, I'm obviously in the minority, but I just don't see the attraction nof Myrtle Beach. It's a fun place to go while in colleg on spring break, but as a grown up now, I just don't get it. With other nice beach communities not far from Myrtle Beach, like Wilmingon, Charleston, and Hilton Head, why do people continue to flock to Myrtle Beach??? So why did I go? Family form the north chose the vacation this year. We had a 3 bedroom 2 bath condo. The layout was fine. The condo smelled like hair perm solution. The kitchen was fine and had all cooking items we needed. We were on the 15th floor and overlooked the ocean. The pools were always crowded. A member in our group had to go to the pool at 7am to grab seats around the pool. The elevators were HOT the entire time. The last 2 days 3 of the 4 elevators were in operation. The beds were all hard and squeaked with each breath taken. The towels were small. The housekeeping staff were friendly and hardworking. Parking was hard to find beacause it was so crowded. So, go to Myrtle if you must...but you may want to skip Ocean Reef and opt for the Sheraton instead.

• 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Alexander
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2007

I was very disappionted with our stay at Ocean Reef Resort. First of all, the keys that they gave us would not open the door. When we finally got in the room, it smelled very strange. The room definitely needed renovations. The bath tub looked nasty. I wouldn't let my kids take a bath at all. The maid woke us up every single morning, even though we continued to tell her to come back later. The carpet felt nasty under my feet. The pools were so crowded. I could never get a chair during the day. I thought from the reviews that it was going to be a really nice place. I was disappointed to say the least.

• Liked — The cafe
  • Disliked — The room
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Ocean Reef Resort? Share your experiences!