“Good and not so good” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Ocean Reef Resort

You added Ocean Reef Resort to your Saves list
Ocean Reef Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7100 North Ocean Boulevard, Myrtle Beach, SC 29572 (Formerly Myrtle Beach Martinique Resort)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Rates as low as $49
Ranked #11 of 214 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Good and not so good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

This visit we opted for an oceanfront King Suite. We were on the third floor as there were no upper floors available at check in. The view was tremendous. The kitchen was too small to actually cook in. We had brought our cooked meals from home and only needed to use the microwave. The fridge was a small kind without a freezer and there was no dishwasher. It's ok for a few nights but not a week unless one wants to eat out all the time. The room and bath were clean and reasonably comfortable. The plumbing needs assistance however as the toilet keeps running and making noises. The shower handle just kept turning around several times before hot water appeared. Also a great deal of water still came out the tub spout when the shower was on and the tub filled rather quickly. We had a rain storm and the porch leaked from the unit above making the carpet wet. You could actually seek where small chunks of ceiling had fallen in the past. There were cracks and signs of previous repairs. I didn't care for the night I was awakend at 11:30 by some young people running in and out of the surf and back to the jacuzzi. I've never seen security here but perhaps that is because we only visit in December. The staff was very pleasant upon check in and check out. I would stay here again but would like to try something a little more updated without an updated price.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Crystal V, Front Office Manager at Ocean Reef Resort, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear love2wander12,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your recent stay with us here at Ocean Reef Resort. We value all of our guests feedback, expecially our repeat guests such as yourself. Please know our staff is always more than willing to address any issues you have during your stay so that we have the opportunity to resolve them in a timely manner. We do apologize for any inconvenience you encountered during your stay with us, but we do hope to see you and your family in the near future, as we would love the opportunity to show you how amazing an Ocean Reef Resort stay can be. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any additional questions or comments.

Front Desk Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (424)
Saint Helena Island, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

There were 5 adults in our group and the angle 3- bedroom was perfect for us. Each of us got our own beds in private rooms-- my husband and I in the king room, our son in the single double room, and 2 college students in the double double room. We enjoyed the indoor pool and hot tub in the evening, had a refrigerator for beverages and food, and used the free wi-fi connection.

The folks at the desk were efficient, knowledgeable, and helpful. We ordered take- out Chinese food on their recommendation and it was delicious.

For a night' s respite from the chill of winter, Ocean Reef exceeded our expectations. The facilities are as good or better as the pictures that led me to make this choice!

Dear dmusikmom,

Thank you for such a great review! We love to hear that our guests had an amazing time with us here at Ocean Reef Resort and we certainly look forward to seeing you and your family in the future.

Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Great spot for my yearly (four nights) group of golfers. Good central location, nice rooms, and view. Great having the oceanfront balcony. We also enjoy having the nice little lounge downstairs to meet and have a cocktail before or after dinner.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Crystal V, Front Office Manager at Ocean Reef Resort, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
Dear Skipsurf,

Thank you for once again choosing Ocean Reef Resort as your golf vacation destination resort! Our golf department works hard to create the perfect golf experience taylored to each of our golf groups, and we are glad you had another great year with us. We look forward to seeing you and your group next year!

Crystal VanderSchans Front Office Manager
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Went for a getaway for the weekend. Had an oceanfront room with 2 beds. Room was everything we expected and seemed pretty clean. BUT the pillows had a few spots and hairs on them and so did some of the towels..gross! The front desk staff was sort of rude and so were the maids (even though they did not have to clean our room, we left the do not disturb sign up) when we needed new towels etc. "Katie" the front desk worker needs an attitude check. The lazy river was a huge disappointment, slow and cold. The hot tubs were nice though. There are 3 inside and 1 outside. The worst part about this trip was the staff. Many times I saw them hiding in the halls on their cell phones. One of the men who works at the pool brought his kids and wife in there and the kids took off their clothes and just got in the pools with only their underwear on! Someone needs to supervise these things! Every morning the maids were VERY loud outside our door yelling at each other? or something. Not worth the price, especially during winter when so many hotels are offering special deals.

Room Tip: Stay away from maid closets or you will hear them yapping all day
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Crystal V, Front Office Manager at Ocean Reef Resort, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear chels815,

Thankyou for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We sincerely apologize for any part of your stay that was not enjoyable. We strive to provide superior customer service at every opportunity, which is why it was surprising to hear your comments in regards to our staffs attitude. Our staff have always been considered friendly and helpful, and if you encountered anything besides this, we sincerely apologize. Our amenities, including the pool area are restricted for our guests only. While I am not sure who you saw, and I welcome your call to discuss your experiences in more detail, I can assure you the staff at Ocean Reef is highly professional and understand we are here for our guests first. Please also remember the front desk has a staff member present 24 hours a day. If you ever find anything that you are not satisfied with, please let us know and we would be happy to address the situation.

Thank you again and please feel free to contact me with any additional questions or comments.

Front Office Manager
Sicklerville, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I had a horrible experience. The only thing nice about my stay was the view from my room on the 15th floor (room 1515). I had made a phone reservation and had requested the King Oceanfront suite and instead got the King Parlor. The furniture and fabric was old and worn and stained. The curtains had holes in them. The counters were dirty-had old food and coffee stains on them as did the end table, which even after 5 days was never cleaned. There were also stains on the bathroom mirror which were never cleaned. There was no hot water in my room. I turned on the shower as hot as it went and it was warm and after 15 minutes turned cold. They assured me that they adjusted the boiler but there was no change. The toilet ran constantly, filling every 7 minutes. Even with the door shut and TV on it could still clearly be heard. They came to fix it twice and then it refilled every 60 seconds. Finally on the 3rd try they fixed it. It took 2 days for that to actually happen. There was no toilet tissue in my bathroom and after calling for it to be brought to my room it took an hour for them to do so. The towels smelled-I went to the store and bought my own to use. I took a blanket out of the cabinet and it was covered in dirt-Like someone had wiped their feet on it. The cabinet itself was half shoved against a door and tilted way over and there was a missing drawer. In using one of the luggage carts to bring my stuff up to my room, I tried coming through the doors closest to the elevators and my room but the handicap button to automatically open the doors did not work-either from the inside or outside so I had to struggle with the doors and the cart. Also, all of the doors to the outside that you need to use your room key to reenter were just left open at all times so anyone could walk in through any of the doors which is very unsafe. The tv was old and a 27inch and screen fuzzy. There was also no easily accessible outlets. All were behind furniture. I had to move aside the heavy beside table and unplug the lamp to plug in my phone and computer charger. They provided a coffee pot (with no complimentary basket of coffee or tea that you find in even the cheapest motels) and a toaster but there was no where to plug them in. I had to take them into the bathroom to use them. I was on vacation with friends. One couple had a room on the 15th floor and it was so dirty they asked to switch rooms and they got a room on the 5th floor but they only stayed one night before leaving. The other group had the 4 bedroom suite on the 2nd floor (226) which was very nice and updated with large flat screens but the dishwasher didn't work and there were loose tiles falling out, Neither of which were addressed during their stay. I meant a lady in the elevator and she was upset because she had requested a room on the 1st or 2nd floor because she had a young child and felt safer because of the balcony's and they put her on the 14th floor. The downstairs lobby area is very nice but the rooms need work. Also, the bar and restaurants were not open. We stayed between Christmas and New Years. I do not know if it was just closed that week or if it closes for the off season. There was nothing at the hotel or on the website indicting the closing.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear AGK26,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience. We strive to provide superior customer service to all of our guests and I do apologize that this fell short during your stay with us.

In regards to the room type booked, we do send confirmations out once a reservation is booked so the guest can look over their information. It would have been our pleasure to move you to the desired room type, but unfortunately we just did not have it available during your stay. We did offer a move to another room the day it became available, but you had declined.

In regards to the housekeeping service, we were more than happy to send our Housekeepers up to correct any part of service you were not happy with the mornng it was reported. When you had called to let us know it had not been resolved, the Housekeeping Supervisor came up and was turned away stating the issues had been resolved.

Things do happen,sometimes, that are out of our control and we do give 100% to resolve them as quick as possible. Due to the nature of your issue, it did take us longer than we had hoped to resolve it, which is why we did feel it was the right thing to do to compensate for your troubles, but again, this is no where near our standard.

I apologize if your friends had issues during your stay. It was not mentioned during our conversations, or I would have been more than happy to address these as well.

We do thank you again for your review and please feel free to contact me with any additional questions or comments.

Front Office Manager
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

We enjoyed our 2 night December visit to Ocean Reef. Room was very clean. Ocean front room had GREAT view (we were on 8th floor). Did not eat in cafe because it was only open for 2 hrs in the morning. Indoor water park was very nice. 3 hot tubs to choose from. Only one word of caution: bring a long, warm robe of some sort to wear to and from the water park when its cold. Most of the rooms have outdoor entrance so the walk back to your room will be chilly! Would still recommend as a place to go in MB!

• Stayed December 2012
Crystal V, Front Office Manager at Ocean Reef Resort, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear imcosmo,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us here at Ocean Reef Resort. We are happy to hear you had a great stay with us and we were able to help in making your vacation a great one. And you are right, since we are right off the ocean, we do get that cool breeze! We look forward to seeing you and your family in the near future!

Lexington, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Really enjoyed our trip just befre Christmas with our 3 grand children. Ocean Reef is a neat place to go. There room Classification is not so good. We had "1 BR Angle OF Condo S.Tower" When we booked the room we took for granted that the room would be OF (ocean front) but it wasn't it was only an ocean view. It was the last room on the floor. all the way to the end. Also the breakfast buffet was not up to par. Could have been that the hotel was not booked up. In that case they should have closed the breakfast buffet like the bar.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Crystal V, Front Office Manager at Ocean Reef Resort, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear DKD03,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent visit with us here at Ocean Reef Resort! We are happy to know that you and your grandchildren had a wonderful time! We apologize for any confusion there was in regards to the room classification. Please always feel free to contact our reservations department at 1-855-571-0904 if you ever have any questions and they would be more than willing to assist you! Again, thank you so much for your input and we look forward to seeing you and your family in the near future!

Front Desk Manager

Been to Ocean Reef Resort? Share your experiences!