“Pricey for old hotel!!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Ocean Reef Resort

Save Saved
You added Ocean Reef Resort to your Saves list
Ocean Reef Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7100 North Ocean Boulevard, Myrtle Beach, SC 29572 (Formerly Myrtle Beach Martinique Resort)   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
35% off!
Ranked #13 of 214 hotels in Myrtle Beach
Montreal, Canada
“Pricey for old hotel!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

We stay on the 12th floor at the end of the building on the South side! We stayed 12 nights and we found the hotel to be just okay, especially for what we paid for! The front desk people were great! The only thing that turn us off was room service, half the time the room was never cleaned properly, towels were forgotten, we asked the maids a few times about those issues and they seem not to care to much! The rooms were a little out dated just like the furniture. The pool area was nice for the kids, especially the water slides! Crowed at one point especially after lunch but that is expected. Any time you pay a lot of money you just want your expectation to be high! I'm not sure if I would go back, I paid 2700$ for a 1 bedroom condo, while friends of ours stayed at a nicer place and 2 bedroom condo for 2800$ for an Oceanfront view,The only Difference is that they were in South Myrtle! Overall is was just Ok,
Thanks Al from Montreal!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Crystal V, Front Office Manager at Ocean Reef Resort, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear Albertodeiaco,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay with us here at Ocean Reef Resort. We apologize if you were dissatisfied with your stay. PLease know we take all of our guests issues seriously and the Dorector of Housekeeping has been notified of the issues incurred during your stay. Please feel free to contact me with any additional questions or comments.

Crystal VanderSchans
Front Desk Manager

1,547 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

The lazy river, indoor pool, and baby pool were nice, however, upon arrival in room #1022 at the Ocean Reef Resort, I could tell this room had been well used. We have stayed in 3 different floor plans three different times at this resort and have not had a room this unclean previously. There were stains on the well-used sofa, the TV in the bedroom had a glob of sticky the size of a baseball on it's screen, and there was a blue wet liquid on the lower shelf of the nightstand in the master bedroom. The oven had been sprayed with oven cleaner and the dried white powder from that spray was still in the oven that I was wanting to bake in. I had to ask for kitchen towels, detergent, and dishwashing liquid each of the 5 days we stayed here. One of the days I still received no kitchen supplies. One evening during my spouse's bath time, and as I was preparing dinner there was a knock at the door. It was the maintenance man at 6:30 PM wanting access to our room to check the AC filter. He had to wait a few minutes until my husband could finish his showering, get dressed, and go to the door himself. It was dark outside and I was not going to open the door to a stranger, especially after dark. I found these issues totally unacceptable. With a little attention to the details, the staff could have made this a great stay for us. Instead, it was disappointing for me to know this room was not up to par, nor cleaned to my standards. I did fill out the questionaire in the room and gave it to the front desk staff. I have heard nothing from that.

Room Tip: If possible, look at the floor plan for the entire resort because like floor plans are stacked atop...
Dear mefopip,

On behalf of the Ocean Reef Resort, please let me apologize for any inconvenience you encountered during your stay with us. We strive to provide not only superior customer service, but an enjoyable and clean facility, and if there had been any issues with your room, this is certianly not our standard. I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you in regards to your stay.

Crystal VanderSchans
Front Desk Manager
843-449-4441
Fayetteville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We had a King Suite Ocean Front with Jacuzzi, the room was OK for the price, disappointing was the Jacuzzi, it should be have been cleaner, it really would need a good scrub, special beneath the handles, other than that the room was clean, breakfast great, view awesome and staff very friendly.

Room Tip: If you looking for a great value hotel it's the spot to go!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
BillPennauchiOR, General Manager at Ocean Reef Resort, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experiences with our establishment. I am pleased you found the room accommodations to be satisfactory with your expectations. These rooms are located on the seventeenth floor of our oceanfront tower and offer some of the most breathtaking views of the Atlantic Ocean one will find in Myrtle Beach. I am very apologetic that your jacuzzi tub was not up the cleanliness standard embodied within the Ocean Reef's standards of excellence. This rueful information has been given to my Director of Housekeeping, and I assure you the matter has been dealt with both assertively and with the utmost of urgency. I am glad there were other factors influenced throughout your stay that seemed to make the overall visit here pleasant. We certainly hope you and your guests will continue to stay with us here at the Ocean Reef Resort.
ladson sc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

My family and i had planned thanksgiving at the ocean reef resort.it was a very nice ,clean.we had excellent service.the food at the restruant was excellent.the lazy river was great.everything was excellent we have no complaints.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
I am absolutely delighted that you had such a great holiday with us at the Ocean Reef Resort over Thanksgiving. I hope you were able to take advantage of the wonderfully delicious Thanksgiving feast our Food and Beverage Directors offers each and every Thanksgiving. This has been a local's favorite for years and years, and will continue to into the future. We hope you and your family can make it back again soon!
Anderson, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

3 generations stayed over the Thanksgiving weekend, all of us enjoyed the lazy river and indoor pool/jacuzzi and the closeness to the beach. The view from our room was amazing but being on the third floor too close to the outside jacuzzi if you want to let the fresh air in...you can hear everyones conversation. Our room was listed as non-smoking, but you could smell smoke in front bedroom, burn marks in bathroom, ashtray was found amongst the dish ware and a smokers butt extinguisher on the patio. We aren't sure if the owners smoke when they are there but thought it shouldn't be listed as a non-smoking room. I'm sensitive to smoke so dealt with headaches/migraines most the weekend. Otherwise it was a nice stay, beds are comfortable and if you can understand them, housekeeping was nice and friendly.

Room Tip: Ask for something higher up for better views
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
On behalf of the Ocean Reef Resort, I would like to thank you for giving us the opportunity to offer three generations of your family members a great Thanksgiving holiday at the beach. I am glad you enjoyed the room and the view, but regret that you were not given a room on a higher floor. All of our Ocean-view Condos on the South side of the resort are available on each floor, ranging from the second floor up to the fifteenth floor. Although we may not be able to guarantee a specific room number and floor, our staff members work diligently with management to ensure all requests are met by each individual guest. In the future, please simply request a room on a higher floor and we will surely gratify. While all of our units are non-smoking, we do permit our guests to smoke on the balcony only, if they do partake in smoking. They are required to close the balcony doors, hindering any smoke from entering the room. Had these issues been addressed with our management team, we would have gladly found more comfortable accommodations. Please feel free to contact me for any further information, and we definitely hope to see you and your entire extended family again in the near future!
Hope Mills, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Our last visit was in August after most kids were back to school and we are going back in December. We love the rooms and the housekeeping staff are always very helpful. The indoor pool area is our favorite thing about this resort for the cooler weather. They have a nice little kiddie swim area indoors for the times its too cold to be outside.

The one drawback to the rooms for us are the concrete walls on the balcony that block my toddler's view of the ocean. She wants to climb on the chairs to see over the wall. Of course we never allow her to do this and watch her like a hawk. If it was a wall with bars she could see in between the bars and wouldn't feel the need to climb.

The children's pool area is great for little ones except for that new slide which is too fast for my 2 1/2 yr old. She loves slides and was going nuts to go down this one. She went once with me holding her and it scared her to death. Its a cool slide for kids maybe 6 and up but kids that old aren't likely to be in the shallow outside kiddie area. I wish they would make a smaller slide for the younger ones.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
BillPennauchiOR, General Manager at Ocean Reef Resort, responded to this review, December 8, 2012
I'm so glad you were able to make it back here in the "off-season" and enjoy yourselves as you normally do. We definitely have plenty of indoor and outdoor water amenities to keep children and adults of all ages having fun the entire time you are here. I want to share with you that not all rooms have closed balconies. To make the building aesthetically appealing from the outside, the floors alternate with open and closed balconies. With that in mind, the next time you reserve a room with us, please make sure you request one of the open balconies with one of our vacation specialists. We definitely want to make sure your little ones are safe while utilizing the oceanfront balconies. We hope to see you and the whole family again in the near future!
Elgin, SC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Excellent value and good service. Room was clean and comfortable. The food provided for our Friday evening reception and Sat. breakfast and lunch was excellent! I will consider Ocean Reef Resort for a future stay. Excellent location on north Myrtle Beach.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your experience with the Ocean Reef from your most recent conference in Myrtle Beach. We have hundreds of rooms that can accommodate the largest of groups, while still giving that personalized experience to our vacationers. Our conference rooms is perfect for small and large functions, any time of the year. I will be sure to share with my Food and Beverage director your kind words regarding the food provided for your functions. He and his department work very hard to provide the best dining experience possible for our guests. We hope to see you again in the near future!

Been to Ocean Reef Resort? Share your experiences!