“Tranquility on the beach” 4 of 5 stars

Jonathan Harbour
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2611 South Ocean Blvd., Myrtle Beach, SC 29577   |
Ranked #138 of 214 hotels in Myrtle Beach
Golden, Colorado
“Tranquility on the beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I needed an economical, quiet place for 3 days to prepare for an important meeting. Jonathan Harbour fit all my needs. The ocean view room overlooked the pool and beach. When I opened my balcony door, the only sound was that of the ocean. The room was clean, the beds were comfortable and the location was in walking distance to numerous restaurants and stores. The staff was friendly and professional. I felt welcome and was well prepared for my meeting upon my departure.

• Stayed September 2013

124 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Fountain Inn, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

There was a parade that weekend, so there was allegedly only one room available. When entering the room, we noticed two things. One of the beds was broken, and there was no microwave. Within one hour of being in the room, we killed 3 bugs! My husband went to the front office to report the problem, and there was no one there. The sign says they are open til 11 pm...but at 10:30 were not there. He then left to go to Food Lion to buy bug spray. After spraying the room, the fumes were so bad that I slept on a nasty sofa bed with my son. They moved us to another room the next day, with no blow dryer. BEWARE!!!!!!!! Very outdated...bring bug spray...microwave...and blow dryer!!!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Tim Z, General Manager at Jonathan Harbour, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
We regret you did not enjoy your stay at Jonathan Harbour Resort as we make every effort to accommodate our guest. When you reported to the front desk that you saw a bug in your room your were offered another room which you inspected and gave your approval. It is true that not all rooms have hair dryers as each unit is individually owned. Contrary to your statement, we do not advertise hair dryers on our web site. But as you requested one, it was provided to you. Since your stay was not a reservation, but a walk in, please feel free to inspect the room prior to checking in. We take pride in our rooms and the cleanliness of our property. As with all our guest, any problems reported will be addressed to your satisfaction. However we can not resolve any issues not reported to us during your stay. Complaints published after your stay offer few opportunities to correct. We invite any guest to inspect our rooms prior to check in to ensure your satisfaction.
Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

By far the worst place I've ever stayed...
Everything had stains, the sleeper sofa was so gross we bought a blow up mattress to sleep on, and the place smelled like a menthol smoker had been staying in the room the passed 40+ years (so terrible it was hard to sleep). There was a karaoke bar next door, and between the horrible music blaring and cops banging on the door to the room next to ours, we slept very little. Everything else in the area was booked the week we were there or we neeeever would have stayed here for more than the time it took to check in and out. There were cockroaches next to the pool, parking was across a busy road (not fun when you have 3 little ones with you) and the floors were just grimy. To top it all off they overcharged our card and took a week or 2 to refund the difference. The photos on website are completely misleading, DO NOT STAY HERE!

Room Tip: Choose a room at another hotel, this one is disgusting.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Zachary N, General Manager at Jonathan Harbour, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
We regret that your stay at Jonathan Harbour was unpleasant, and we strive to address any guest concerns. Please notify guest services of any problems you might encounter as soon as possible and they will be corrected. If the music from the building next door is too loud, notify our staff and will contact them. As with many Ocean Front Resorts, Parking is across the street and not readily available from your room. However this does allow for us to have ample parking to accommodate guest with more than one vehicle, and trailers. We offer smoking and non-smoking rooms, please specify which you would prefer when booking a reservation. Again we strive to make your stay as pleasant as possible and we welcome anyone to view our rooms and our facilities.
North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

The staff were helpful and the room was big and well laid out. It was clean and comfortable. Now for the not so great stuff. The location sucked. It is beside an abandoned hotel, so the side view is a boarded up building and a trashy alley. The parking is across the street, which was annoying. I pay for ocean front so I do not have to cross the street! So, be prepared to pay for oceanfront and then park across the street. I'm sure they have handicap facilities, but for the rest of us....
Lastly, while the rooms are simply lovely, the sound proofing is non-existent. You can and will hear everything. If they can do something about the nose reduction, then perhaps the other factors will be easier to overlook.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

Clean& affordable. Compared to other places that I stopped and checked out the rooms, Jonathan Harbour same price but more space, added kitchen and clean. Thank you for giving me a great deal for the money and providing what I needed for a nice visit at the beach. I will be back!

• Stayed July 2013
Greensboro, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

We had to get a hotel in a last minute effort as we were supposed to camp at MBSP and after 3 inches of massive rain in 3 hours, we got flooded out. The staff was great and my kids and I loved the room layout. It goes all the way across the hotel. We had an oceanside view room and really liked it as the view was better than I thought it was going to be.
Yes there is an abandoned building next door, but it is on the side of the entrance door, not the balcony side so it doesnt really matter. I have read other reviews on here and yes some things are "outdated", but we were at the beach for the beach. Everything in our room worked and was clean. This hotel also provided basic kitchen supplies too. The AC was cold and the shower was hot. We will be staying here again!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Greensboro, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

First, I booked very last minute & got a great rate for a 3 nt stay. I was told it would be ocean view with a limited view - so I was really not expecting much. However, we were pleasantly surprised that even from our 1st floor angled ocean view room, we could actually see the ocean! The room was okay too - it says that the units are individually owned, and ours was a really good 1 bdrm suite type room - no complaints here!
The reviews of the abandoned hotel next door are accurate, but it's not a view from your room - you see it from the main breezeway walking to your rooms - either way - it is creepy...especially @ night.
Parking is another issue I didn't actually see a review about before, but given this was a trip with myself, my young children, my mom & my sister - two unlit areas, behind & beside another less than desirable motel isn't my idea of safety.
Back to JH - the pool areas were okay, again, it's an older property so it's not brand new, but it's okay. No water slides or lazy river, but a decent indoor/outdoor pool, a small kiddie pool & 2 hot tubs - although one one was closed *with cation tape* as per an earlier review. They were clean & maintained well our entire stay.
All-in-all, JH was average, although we had room 107 & I would rate it slightly above bc we thought it was an ok ocean view room (to be on the 1st floor floor). However, I will say, there is public beach access parking directly in front of all of all of the balconies @ JH & a lot of the Sun & Sand traffic apparently exits thru there as well - just a consideration.
It was a great deal for the price - and overall it was okay - if the (2) abandoned hotels weren't next door & parking were better - my rating would be higher. I will also add all the staff we encountered was very nice & helpful.

• Stayed July 2013

Been to Jonathan Harbour? Share your experiences!