“GREAT STAY” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #86 of 214 hotels in Myrtle Beach
Whitmire, South Carolina
“GREAT STAY”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

We stayed here in July 2012 and my teen and her friend really enjoyed this motel as so did I. Was searching the internet for family owned and run motels. I chose this one and we have found our family vacation motel--yes it is across the street but still close and easy to get to the beach. Really nice, clean rooms--no smelly rooms and very clean--I felt safer here than any place I have stayed and actually slept for the first time at the beach. The cleaning staff was also very friendly and pool area was great and clean too. Will being staying here again! Oh before I forget the prices are great!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
DavidandArlene, Owner at Hurl Rock Motel, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Thank you for your review. We agree with you that we have a great housekeeping and pool staff. We are one of the few family owned and operated motels left in myrtle beach. We try very hard to screen our customers (family and couples only over 25) in order to try to give our guests a safe, quiet place to relax and enjoy their vacation. We are glad that you were able to enjoy that. We look forward to your next visit. David and Arlene

182 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

+'s are large room, nice bathroom, tub, microwave, refrigerator, lots of TV channels, and nice TV, good location (West side of Ocean Boulevard so across the street from the ocean), parking OK, good lighting, and cheap price, good bed, and efficient air conditioning, and family run.. '-s are missing outlet for table lamp where a plug should have been but instead a hole in the wall (how does someone not know that?) and it is an older place but the elevator worked great in the several story motel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for your review. We do have many positives as you listed. For the one negative, that was an old PHONE OUTLET. We moved the phone outlet in your room and the PHONE COVER was either removed or we forgot to put one over the outlet. There is now a Phone outlet cover on the box. Phone outlets do not have any electricity in them and are not dangerous. However, we agree that it does not look good and a cover has been put back on it. I wished you told us about this when you were staying with us. The "problem" was fixed in 2 minutes. We hope that we see you again on a return visit. Thank you for letting us know about the missing phone outlet cover. David and Arlene
Smyrna, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

First off, this is not the Hilton, so if that's what you're expecting, you aren't gonna get it. :)

My husband and I stayed for 3 nights. It had everything we needed for a short stay. If we were staying longer, we probably would have stayed at a resort where they had the pools and oceanfront. We stayed on the 5th floor and did have a view of the ocean from our room, but we spent very little time there. The room was small, but again, had everything we needed. Micro-fridge, microwave, tv & bed (which was very comfortable). The pool was clean and I saw the pH levels being checked. We didn't use it but others did. It's just a short walk to the beach and there are a few little stores & restaurants within walking distance. If you want to be closer to the skywheel and within walking distance of it, you need to stay on N. Ocean Blvd. This was our first time so we didn't realize that. If you are anything like us, you would prefer to give the local businesses your time, moreso than the huge resorts and chains. They are very friendly and will help you if you need anything at all during your stay. The housekeeping staff are also friendly and helpful!
There was one incident with the elevator where it was broken for a short time. We were at the beach for a couple hours (it was working when we left) and when we came back it was broken. Taking the steps to the 5th floor wasn't fun, but they already had someone working on it when we returned and it was fixed quickly! Overall, I would recommend this hotel, especially for couple's without kids who are just getting away and want to relax and be away from the hustle & bustle, but close enough to drive!

Room Tip: #510. Pool view and best ocean view! Also, there is a deck on that floor you can sit and watch the...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
DavidandArlene, Owner at Hurl Rock Motel, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
We thank you for your review. Even though we are across the street from the ocean, we do have one bed (small) and 2 bed (larger) rooms that face the ocean. You choose the 1 bed room. We try to keep things operating correctly at all times but things do break down as with the elevator when you were here. However, it was fixed within 2 hours after it was reported. We look forward to your return visits. Thank you again. David and Arlene
Blythewood, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

This is my second review of Hurl Rock and since I know they take the time to read these reviews because of their commitment to customer satisfaction I'll start with the Con's, not so much, moreso a couple of suggestions to management, #1, DO NOT DISTURB signs for the doors would be great. The housekeeping staff is wonderful and although I know they are only doing their jobs they are a bit annoying. My husband and I come to the beach to rest and for some much needed sleep. Morning 1 we were awakened abruptly by the housekeeper entering the room. Our fault, we failed to double lock the door but did so that night before retiring to prevent a reoccurence the following morning. Morning 2, I barely heard the knock before the housekeeper tried to enter with her key but couldn't. I thought that would be the end of it, however over the next hour there were 4 additional attempts made to enter the room. My husband finally got up to tell them we didn't need any service to prevent further interuption. This happened daily except for the few mornings we were up early sitting out on the balcony. I'm sure this was a concern for others as well as I personally witnessed several handwritten do not disturb signs on other guests doors. #2, Non-Skid runners for the kitchen areas would be beneficial. The tiles are quite slippery even when dry. My 69 year old husband had a nasty fall during our second nights stay, fortunately he was unhurt but it could have been far more serious,

Now for a few of the Pro's. (there are far to many to list them all)....Regardless of the concerns above Hurl Rock is a great place to stay. I have lost count of the number of times we have stayed at Hurl Rock and once again this year Hurl Rock ROCKED!!! This is by no means a 5 Star Resort, however their family-like, friendly atmosphere far supercedes any lack of amenities. If you are looking for a friendly, courteous, helpful staff who respond immediately to any request or concern, comfort, cleanliness, convenience, location and affordability Hurl Rock is number 1 on the Grand Strand. I highly recommend Hurl Rock for anyone in search of a great vacation on a budget because at this motel you get more than you pay for.

Thank You Hurl Rock for another terrific vacation, can hardly wait for next year.
..............WE'LL BE BACK!!!

Room Tip: This facility is not oceanfront. Make sure you request a poolside room all of them have a blvd view...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for review. Yes, we do read all of the reviews and respond. You have made 2 great suggestions (DO NOT DISTRUB signs and NO SKID mats in the kitchen area). We truely appreciate your suggestions and plan on doing this next season. We thank you for being a many time repeat guest and we look forward to many more return visits from you and your family. David and Arlene
Simpsonville, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

The motel itself was just fine. We enjoyed our stay and it was the perfect choice for a spontaneous drive to the beach. Clean rooms and friendly staff. Our room had a sink, fridge, coffee maker, toaster, and microwave which was VERY convenient. The pool was clean and convenient and it is literally across the street from the beach so you can go back and forth to the room as needed for snacks or lunch or a nap. Myrtle beach is Myrtle Beach, and the quality of people hanging out in front of their rooms smoking (constantly) and drinking until 3am was annoying so I didn't get much sleep. Also, I'm sure there was a "who has the loudest Mustang convention" on the strip that night. Of course, this is not the motel's fault but again, even though my bed was comfy, be prepared to be in a part of the city that does not sleep in the summer time.

Room Tip: I wouldn't want one on the bottom floor at all. Wouldn't feel safe. Too much activity goin...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
DavidandArlene, Owner at Hurl Rock Motel, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Thank you for your review especially the clean rooms and friendly staff. All of our rooms are NON SMOKING so if a few guests want to smoke, they do it outside. Myrtle Beach is always busy in the summer. We do control the noise level on our property but sometimes Ocean Blvd does get a little busy if you are outside your room. But inside your room you can always enjoy the quietness. We look forward to your next visit. David and Arlene
Culpeper, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

If your looking for a hotel that has all the bells and whilstles, this is not the place for you. BUT if your looking for a place that is clean and they have the BEST Staff I have seen in a long time. ALL of them say good morning they take pride in there work then I say this is the place for you !
We had 2 rooms, one of them was a one bedroom with a kitchen and the other one room with a freg and microwave. yes the 1st thing we did was check the beds for bugs ( we do this at all the hotels we stay in) i did see some if the beds had small rips in them, but the maine thing is IT'S CLEAN !! no bugs !! And with all the money we saved we can go back in September. I would like to see 2 things to change, one I think they should play "beach Music" around the pool and they need 2 washers and dryers.not one. I say thanks Perkins Family for making us feel like we are part of your family !

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review about our clean rooms and great staff. We look forward to your next visit with us. Arlene and David
Huntington, WV
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

We only stayed at Hurl Rock for one night before our beach house was ready. Thank goodness we only had to stay one night. The website for the hotel was really nice and painted a picture that was not at all accurate. Maybe some rooms have been remodeled and some haven't. We had a small one queen bed room that hadn't been touched in years. The carpet was very dirty and honestly looked like it had been removed from another hotel when it was remodeled and installed in that room. There were two chairs in the room one of which had what appeared to be a baseball sized blood stain on it. At least the small refrigerator in the room did keep beverages really cold. I always check every hotel I stay in for bed bugs before moving any luggage in. They do not have bed bugs at this point. They do at least have that going for them. When I checked for bed bugs I found the mattress to have several large holes in the side of the mattress and it was very stained. We brought in our own linens and used them. I would have complained but there was no use given that our house would be ready early the next morning. Take my warning. Spend 20 bucks extra and stay someplace nicer.

Room Tip: We had a room with one queen bed. It had not been updated in a long time. From looking at website pi...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
The room pictures on our webb site were taken by past guests. We do not provide room pictures so the pictures are accurate. You were offered a smaller room with one bed and a larger room with 2 beds. You looked at both rooms and choose the smaller (cheaper) one for $10. a night less. Arlene and David

Been to Hurl Rock Motel? Share your experiences!