“ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #105 of 214 hotels in Myrtle Beach
Blythewood, South Carolina
“ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

We have stayed at the Hurl Rock many times over the last 25 years but I must admit this was the first time we stayed there in about 12 years. Prior to making the reservation I was informed they were slowly remodelling and all renovations had not been completed. I was a little skeptical
at first but decided to confirm anyway. I was very pleasantly surprised that after all these years it still felt welcoming. Our room had been renovated, was very clean and comfortable and the beds were
wonderful. We were told that full renovations would not be completed until next year when they will be replacing the beds and carpets, which in my opinion would then rank them among the 4 star facilities in the area. The staff, just as in years gone by were still friendly and hospitable. It was quiet and relaxing and although we had originally planned to stay just one week we felt so at home there we extended our stay an additional week. On the con side (and they are just semi-cons), 1. During
the off-peak season there are no housekeeping services, you need towels, soap, etc you have to go to the office for them but if you see a staff member and indicate you need something they will bring it to you. 2. If you are a smoker all smoking must be done on the balcony. Regarding the Cons, Inconvenient YES, deal-breakers ABSOLUTELY NOT. If you are looking for tons of amenities and luxury this is not the place for you, but if you want a safe, quiet, comfortable place to sleep with a
wonderful staff at affordable rates this is the place to go. I would highly recommend this motel to anyone whether it be a couple or a family with children you won't be disappointed. I can't wait to get back in the Spring.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
JulieAndDavid2, Owner at Hurl Rock Motel, responded to this review, October 10, 2011
Thank you for your review. Yes we have been working hard on the motel since we took it back over in May, 2010. We should be finished by Spring, 2012. We offer very low rates during the off season and one way to make these rates available is to provide limited maid service. As you said, we still have everything you need for your stay but it is on a "request" basis. Looking forward to seeing you again in the spring. David

191 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

My husband and I are in our late 40's, and we remember when all motels were like this. :)

We stayed here as newlyweds in winter 1989, right after we were married, and had not been back since. My family owned a beach house in Oak Island & we always went there after that. Well, all good things come to an end and; breaking my heart, we had to sell the house in 2005, but that did not end my love affair with the beach. My husband, 19 year old son and I planned to come down for Labor Day weekend and after visiting this site several times we decided to stay at Hurl Rock after 22 years. We were so pleased! We got in about 9 PM, put our bags away and the vacation was on! Hurl Rock saved us money with their super rates and by having the great full-size fridge, stove, and a microwave. We only ate out twice! The beds were clean and comfortable (yes, HARD, but I adapted!) the towels were clean and fluffy, and the atmosphere was laid back and friendly. Sitting outside my room near the pool on the first floor, I was greeted by staff each time they passed, and asked if everything was going well.

I have told my friends to patronize your business.And I meant it!

To the Perkins- thank you for a great visit for me and my family. I get really emotional about the beach since I had to sell my beloved home and you gave me three days to sit in the sand before that mighty sea and recharge my batteries. My husband got to go out with his metal detector and look for treasures on the beach, no matter how small, and my son visited some of his favorite stores and arcades in the area. I am sure "Ma" is smiling down from Heaven on you for all your hard work in keeping her business alive and continuing her legacy of making a safe, fun place for families. We will return as soon as we can, Winter, Spring, Summer and Fall. See you in a few months!

Room Tip: I have mobility issues, and it was great to have a ground floor room by the pool.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. We are glad you were happy with your return visit and we are looking forward to your return. PS Do not wait 22 more years my eye sight may be bad and I may not recongize you. lol david
Liberty
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

Even though the hotel is quite old, it was very clean and had a very good atmosphere. The staff was very friendly and gave us the feeling we had known them for some time.
Although we have stayed at many of the newer and larger hotels up and down the strand, we will definitely be returning to the Hurl Rock because of the great prices and pleasant atmosphere.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
JulieAndDavid2, Owner at Hurl Rock Motel, responded to this review, August 27, 2011
We thank you for your review. We try to have a friendly staff and provide a pleasant
atmosphere. We look forward to you staying with us again. David
Denton,NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

Our room wasn't fantastic but it wasn't horrible either. We did encounter a few things that bothered us but the staff did try and make them better. We dealt with mold growing on the ceiling near the kitchen and above our beds but they tried to clean it off twice. The AC was a unit that fit in the wall closer to the ceiling than floor and I think with a newer unit that sits closer to the floor this problem may be eliminated. The air conditioner leaked water off and on the whole time but they did try to fix it but it didn't stop. The stove/oven needs new knobs because there is nothing on them so you can't tell what setting you are putting your food on. The microwave could use an upgrade but not a huge deal. It didn't heat our food well and the tray inside didn't fit properly so it made a racket everytime you used it because it couldn't turn properly. The carpet was beyond dirty. I would never walk on it without shoes because it turned your feet black by walking across it just a few times. If you're bothered by cigarette smoke I would not stay here because it will be all around you. It seemed like everyone that stayed there smoked and several employees were smoking closeby our room too. Beds were ok. Kitchen cabinets were rather new and frig was nice too. We also experienced issues with the shower. The temp would be fine one minute then scalding you the next. Our room was only cleaned 2 times of the 5 nights we were there and then we had to ask for towels and toilet paper the other days but that wasn't a big deal to us. Furniture was older but ok for us. Be prepared for standing in line for quite a while anytime you have to visit the office! The electricity receptacles really need to be replaced because we had a hard time keeping things plugged into them. The beach was a very short walk and we enjoyed staying at this end of Myrtle Beach. I can tell some rooms have been updated much more than ours had based on pictures on here. I would say overall if they get all the rooms updated like they are saying they are going to then this will be a great place to stay. I personally don't want to take a gamble on whether or not we'll get one of the nice rooms or if we'll get the run down room. We are considering coming back next summer and possibly staying longer if the rooms get the much needed work done and rates stay the same. Keep up the good work/improvements Hurl Rock and I think y'all will have a wonderful family motel for people to stay in!

Room Tip: Some rooms are updated and some not so much so ask for the best room.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
You did not have mold on your ceiling, you had MILDREW. ANY motel in myrtle beach will have MILDREW in the room WHEN a guest leaves leaves the front door open. This causes moisture which causes mildrew. We are a NO SMOKING motel BUT guests CAN SMOKE OUTSIDE their rooms and they do. The employee smoking was "off duty" The microwave is NEW but it is 800 watts and not 1000 watts. It works well but on certain foods you may have to cook it a little longer which most microwave food instructions tell you. We can hire more office help, get stronger microwaves, etc. but this cost money which in turn causes ROOM RATES TO GO UP. You said you may be back, if we complete fixing up the rooms but keep the rates the same.
We can not do both. We are upgrading the rooms ASAP while trying to hold the cost down. MOST guests know this and appreciates it.
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

We got a decent price to be across the street from the beach, but there is still a lot of work that needs to be done on the place. There were a lot of people just hanging around outside of their rooms since it is a motel style. On the last day we saw some bugs in the bathroom. Probably will not stay again. The front desk staff was nice and friendly.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
JulieAndDavid2, Owner at Hurl Rock Motel, responded to this review, August 20, 2011
Thank you, we are AVERAGE and AFFORDABLE as you say a decent price. We are in transsition in improving the motel. The price reflects that and you were aware of that when you booked nad when you checked in. There are many motels that will be glad to charge you $200 to $300 a night. People "sit" outside their room and enjoy the weather, neighbors, watching their kids in the pool, watching traffic, people, etc. They do not "hang out", they STAY HERE. We, along with our pest controll person checked your room, in fact the entire motel and NO BUGS WERE FOUND. MAYBE, they were just "hanging out" and moved on.
Carlisle, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

a friend, my daughter and i stayed here for 4 days. it was reasonable priced and clean. the off ice people were just great and very accomidating. the cleaning staff were also very nice and got the job done. i shall be returning next month and can`t wait.
nancy bates,
carlisle pa.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review. We look forward to seeing you again next month where you can "hang out" with family, staff and friends. David
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

Great place to stay.Very friendly staff. They have gas grills that guest can use .Very clean and great prices. We arrived about 10:30 am and they let us go ahead and check in our room...........I was really impressed with the Hurl Rock will be back.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. We truely enjoy guests like you and are looking forward to your return visit. David

Been to Hurl Rock Motel? Share your experiences!