“great will go back” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #111 of 214 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Fayetteville, North Carolina
“great will go back”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

this is a nice what i call mom and pops motel the service was tops this is not a big resort so if thats what you want this is not it. if you want to sit on your balcony and talk to people watch the kids play in the pool and have great service this is it. i stayed here because the place i usually stay was full and loved it. felt safe very very clean room and the room 412 was very spacious not small at all.my family really enjoyed it found a new place to stay only thing i found wrong was a chair in the room was missing a leg and i did not mention it to them i was on the beach or balcony most of the time .why would ya go to the beach to sit in the room. pool was clean and the service i cant say enough about very very nice people.go for it stay here youll love the family setting

Room Tip: room 412 good view of ocean and its on the end no traffic walking by
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
JulieAndDavid2, Owner at Hurl Rock Motel, responded to this review, July 31, 2011
You had the SECOND BEST (really tied for 1st) HOUSEKEEPER IN MYRTLE BEACH, IRIS. She
does a great job. We TRY to give all of our guests great service. Thank You for your kind comments. We want to THANK YOU for your GREAT SERVICE FOR OUR COUNTRY as an active serviceman. We were glad that you chose your "family" time with us. We were honored.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Hartsville, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

We stayed the week of July 17th. We have no complaints! It was exactly what we expected...clean and affordable. The staff was friendly and helpful. The kids had a blast and so did we! We will certainly be back!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for your kind comments. We TRY to be CLEAN and the most AFFORDABLE motel in myrtle Beach. Thanks to guests like you, it makes us try harder.
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

My husband and I stayed for a weekend getaway! The staff was super friendly. We went during "Mustang Week" and could not find a reasonable room ANYWHERE! We jumped at the 75/night rate vs 199/night we got everywhere else (if they had a vacancy!)! Room was clean, bed was super comfy! I agree with the other poster in the sense of low water pressure, but when numerous people are using water, its bound to happen by no fault of the facility. We were only there to sleep and shower, the rest of the time we were out at the beach, pool, and sight seeing! It was nice to not see all of the people hanging out outside, like we saw at some of the surrounding hotels. Across the street from the beach, convenient to Makos Grill (which was AWESOME! AND serves breakfast!) The little ice cream place across the street was good, and open late! mini mart a little pricy, but convenient and you dont have to drive to get there.
We will definitely stay again on our next trip in September!

A few things that would be a great "perk" to the already great place: AM doughnuts and juice/coffee. Menus in the room of places that deliver just in case you dont want to eat @ Makos or drive somewhere.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
We do not allow people to just "hang around" the motel. You must be a guest or visiting a guest to be on motel property. Doughnuts & juice/coffee ????? Maybe--- but I work late and Arlene is NOT a morning person. How about Lunch ??? lol
ohiohockeyguy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

I guess maybe I set my expectations too high. After all, it was priced lower than any place around. But the reviews were largely positive, so I took a chance on a 2-br, 3 queen room for a 5-night stay with the family.

Well, at least it was priced lower than any place around.

First, let's start with the good. Did I mention the price? I thought the location was great. Within walking distance to many shops, restaurants, mini-golf places, and of course, THE BEACH! Nice little ice cream joint across the street, and the mini mart next to the hotel is convenient, though pricey. Also, eat at Mako's across the street if you go. Good burgers!

The A/C was cool, and not too terribly noisy. The pool was clean, the shower by the pool was nice for washing sand off, and the staff was very friendly. I liked the convenience of the kitchen in my room, and the grills on the 2nd floor. The sundeck on the 5th floor is nice too. The beds were comfortable enough, and the outside noise died down around 11 PM or so. Parking was manageable... didn't have any real problems there.

Now the bad. Our 3 queen bed room was a 2 queen, 1 full bed room. That would have been ok had the full-sized bed been in the room w/ 2 beds, but I would expect a bigger bed in the private room. Not the case.

The carpet was absolutely disgusting! It's in great need of replacement (no amount of cleaning is going to do it at this point. They are stained, in some places more than others, sticky, and dirty. This was really gross. Though I didn't resort to wearing shoes all the time, I wanted to wash my feet every time I walked across it.

As other reviewers have pointed out, it was impossible to find a happy warm with the shower temperature. It kept fluctuating.

You are sharing the motel with others who wanted to find a cheap motel in Myrtle Beach. These others may have different views on letting their children run wild and be loud until 11 PM or later. Keep that in mind.

I didn't see one bug in the room until the day before we were leaving. Looked like a cockroach to me. Front desk staff said it was probably a Palmetto Bug. After looking up Palmetto Bug, she could have been right. I'll give her the benefit of the doubt.

There were a few other minor things, but I wanted to focus on the highlights (and lowlights). Again, good location, friendly staff, nice pool, kitchens, and grills. Place needs a lot of TLC, starting with the carpet. Though we are glad we got to take this trip, largely due to the inexpensive rates at the Hurl Rock, next time I think I'll spend a little more for something a little nicer. I'm not saying stay away from the Hurl Rock, because I appreciate that management is trying to provide a value option for travelers, but just know what you're getting into.

Room Tip: For view and less noise, I'd say the higher, the better.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
JulieAndDavid2, Manager at Hurl Rock Motel, responded to this review, July 25, 2011
I would like to Thank You for your review of our motel of both the pros and cons. Yes, we are working real hard bringing the motel back to where we had it 10 years ago. There is still some work to be done, including putting in new carpet in some rooms. If we had hired a GENERAL CONTRACTOR and finished All the remodelimg, painting, etc., it would had been VERY EXPENSIVE and our rates would had to be a lot higher. Instead, we decided to take a cash flow approach using subcontractors to fix up the motel. This approach is slower but a lot less expensive and we priced our rooms accordingly. Also, in the long run, this would allow for us to continue offering the best rates in Myrtle Beach. Most of our guests like you understand this and appreciates our low rates with a few "bumps" here or there. We will be during extensive work on the motel this winter when we are closed and should be COMPLETELY REMODELED when we reopen in March, 2011.
Thomasville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

My husband and I needed a weekend away. We had stayed at the Hurl Rock a couple of weeks before for the first time and had such a great experience that we decided to go back for our weekend away. The motel is very clean. The staff at the motel is awesome. The lady that was taken care of our room for the weekend was super nice. She brought us fresh towels straight from the dryer. Everyone is very friendly. David and everyone else at Hurl Rock is wonderful. We are planning another trip in a couple of week for a weekend and we are planning on staying at Hurl Rock. I recommend this motel for a long trip or a short weekend trip. You can not go wrong with Hurl Rock.....

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
JulieAndDavid2, Owner at Hurl Rock Motel, responded to this review, July 25, 2011
We would like to thank you for your review. We appreciate and look forward to our repeat guests. See you AGAIN, soon.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2011 via mobile

My husband and I were looking for a place to stay for two nights for a spur of the moment trip on a limited budget . I called the MB chamber of commerce asking for recommendations for rooms at the beach that weren't $200.00 nightly . Hurl Rock was one place that i was given their number . I was quite surprised when I called and they told me the price was only 150.00 for both nights ! I thought for sure the price had to be for one night because of the prices I had been quoted everywhere else I called! They seemed like at first that there wouldn't be any rooms available and then the lady said that they had a room in a little cottage behind the hotel available . It was a good value , only 75.00 nightly and that included tax so we took it . When we got there , we waited only a few minutes for the room to be cleaned but we were early . They let us check in an hour early as soon as it was ready . I asked to see the room first and they were accomodating to my request . We had drove out back while we were waiting and the place that I first thought it was was terrible with screens falling out if windows and moldy looking , after we parked and got out looking around , we realized it was not the right place ( thankfully ) and I was pleased to see that the Hurl Rock building was much nicer and cleaner looking on the outside . After we walked out back and looked at the room on the inside , first impression was " small but clean and fresh smelling , and VEry cool air conditioner " it was over 100 degrees outside with the heat index and very tired from being up since 3am and driving 500 miles , the AC was very important right then ! After checking in , we took a long nap in that cool room and laughed about it being so small . But the room was clean and appeared freshly painted and it smelled good . One complaint we had but we didn't say anything about was the very bright light shining thru the window at night from a dusk to dawn light in the parking lot . But nobody can say the parking lot wasn't lit well ! We took the bedspread off the bed and tried to cover the window with it and joked about wishing we would have brought a BB gun. The bathroom was very small but clean and I did not notice any mold anywhere . There was only a stand up shower , no tub and I had no complaints with the water pressure . There is no hair dryer in the bathroom like there is in some more expensive places so if you stay here , bring your own hair dryer , I used the beach air and sun to dry mine , no big deal . There is not a telephone in the room either but most everybody has cell phones so that shouldn't matter . The location was ok , I personally won't stay at Myrtle again , I prefer Oak Island to the crowds of Myrtle but if I ever do stay at Myrtle again and was looking for a cheap place to stay , I would stay here . We were laughing reading the review about someone having 20 visitors in their room , my husband said , their room had to be bigger than ours was !

• Stayed July 2011
JulieAndDavid2, Owner at Hurl Rock Motel, responded to this review, July 24, 2011
We would like to thank you for your honest and fuuny review of our motel. IT IS WHAT IT IS. A clean, functional room for an affordable price. If you want a fancy motel with more "stuff" for a lot more money ,then go somewhere else. We would also like to Thank you for your comments about our well lighted parking lot. We must had forgotten to put the black out shades on that room. Thanks for staying with us and thanks for having a good sense of humor.
Winston Salem, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2011

My husband and I took a chance on this "Mom and Pop" motel due to the astounding number of Excellent reviews from previous travelers. Sadly, this proved to be a very, very bad choice!! Keep in mind, I knew this was an older motel which, according to their web site, had remodeled and were working to bring up their standards to "a home away from home" for repeat visitors as in the past. Sadly, the Hurl Rock Motel and the Perkins family have fallen far short of their aim!! Our 2 queen efficency was filled, from top to bottom, with nothing but problems!! The carpet is in DESPERATE need of replacement and I did not see the maid turn on a vaccum one time during a 5 night/6 day stay--except to sweep the outdoor carpet!! (I did not allow my feet to touch any floor during our entire visit--what a repulsive thought!!). The room was filled with a mildew smell and a dampness from the old, overworked AC unit, the plumbing is minimal, at the least, and needs a complete overhaul....the shower, no matter the hour, was either scalding hot or bitterly cold...no mid-point was to be found!! The room was so dark that I felt as if I was in a tomb, even when the four small watt lights were on. Don't look for electrical outlets...they are loose and minimal and even worked badly with a 6-plug in attachment I went out and bought to charge cell phones, etc. The "Free Wi-Fi" is hit or miss...and seldom available..the modem is too tiny for more than the office alone. The only kudo I can pass on are these: the pool is very well cleaned, though small with few chairs, and the grills on the 2nd floor deck are handy and provide a great place to cook out a steak or burger. Unlike others, I did NOT find the office staff friendly and helpful, so I did not bother to complain--I KNEW to do so would get me nowhere!! We SHALL NOT BE BACK and I advise others to pass on the Hurl Rock, pay a bit more, and go a block down in either direction to other reasonably priced motels we found during our search for our next visit!! What a horrible motel experience!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
We are still remodeling some of our rooms. It sounds like you chose one of our lesser expensive type D rooms that is located in the hallway. We have remodeled many of our rooms. However, only about half (5) of the D rooms have been remodeled. We decided to remodel the "better" view rooms first and do the "lesser" view rooms last and keep their price lower. We have 12 different room types, from one bed to 4 beds, to cottage to hallway view, pool view, ocean/blvd view all with different prices to fit different pocketbooks. If a guest is unhappy with a certain room type or wants a less expensive or more expensive room, we try to accomadate them IF WE KNOW. But if you "did not brother to complain." At the Hurl Rock you did GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR, one of our least expensive rooms in the hallway with no view.

Been to Hurl Rock Motel? Share your experiences!