“BEWARE! Hotel review - NOT the condos” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Sands South

We can't find prices for this hotel
Holiday Sands South
You added Holiday Sands South to your Saves list
2411 South Ocean Blvd., Myrtle Beach, SC 29577   |
Ranked #69 of 215 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Lynchburg, Virginia
“BEWARE! Hotel review - NOT the condos”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Let me start off saying this was a spur of the moment trip to Myrtle Beach with some good friends. I searched and searched for a hotel and this seemed to be the best deal to accommodate all of us. We had a two bedroom oceanfront efficiency with three queen beds (type B on hotel website).

We're all thirty-something adults and haven't stayed in a room this run down since senior week in high school! Let's start with the elevators. Wow! I took the stairs when possible because the noises they made scared me so bad. We were in room 410. It smelled terrible as soon as we walked in. Thankfully we had brought some Febreeze air freshener with us. The entire hotel is smoking... yes, every room. The AC could hardy spurt out cold air on a normal setting. The bathroom had the old brown wooden doors and there was actually white paint scattered on the back in places. Dust piled up in the corners on the baseboards in the bathroom. Tick dust on the air vent in the bathroom. Hair on the walls in the shower. Very thin toilet paper. The chairs on the balcony weren't nice. Instead of even some cheap decent plastic chairs there were vintage vinyl strap lawn chairs. One chair even had a broken strap. Wireless was in and out during our stay.

As I mentioned earlier, there were three queen beds in our room. Two of the beds were pretty decent (although we did have to ask for extra pillows), but one was very uncomfortable. You could feel every spring in the mattress. Thankfully we weren't there on a romantic getaway or with our families. It was a fun filled long weekend and having being graced by beautiful weather, we really didn't spend a lot of time in the room.

I gave this hotel 2 stars because everyone seemed to be very nice and were always helpful when we needed something. There was ample parking and it was cheap. I guess I should have known booking to room what to expect, but going off of the other tripadvisor reviews, I trusted the hotel. I'm not saying don't stay here... just know what you're getting into before you go and take your own toilet paper! :)

Room Tip: Stay in the condos and not the hotel
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

My family and I had reservations at Holiday Sands(the condo's) from 09/03 to 09/09/12. But once we arrived we soon changed our stay to 1 night. We arrived at 2:30 that afternoon expecting to be able to check in at 3:00 like it was stated to us but we didn't get checked in until 5pm. After that issue the next thing we faced was being locked out the system. We ran out shortly and came back and we remembered we needed our parking pass. When we went into the office and gave them our room number they couldn't find my name in the system. We finally got it worked out though.
As for the rooms they are fair looking and no longer look like the pics on the website. They are a little modern but nothing fantastic.We viewed room 801 and actually spent the night in 911. There was a huge cock roach on the balcony, the TV didn't work and the toliet made an awful noise all night. The couch was old and stained. Our overall experience was terrible. We went to the guest desk to file our dissatisfaction and see about compensation. The General Manager is never available to resolve your issues. We were told that we would need to speak with him the next morning, which we again ended up waiting on him and he never showed up. The HR Rep was apologetic and did try to assist us with our situation. She was interested in knowing our complaint in order to improve for future residents. She took our phone numbers; however the General Manager never called us. We called 2 hours later asking for him and again he was unavailable. They finally called us back to notify us that they returned a portion of our one night rental to our cards.

Room Tip: Before paying the full balance ask to view the room to make sure you will be satisfied.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Tulsa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

We stayed at Holiday Sands South (hotel side) between August 19-25th, 2012. We had an oceanfront room on the third floor and we had a great view. The rooms were cleaned, beds made, fresh towels, and trash taken out every day. The kitchen area does have a few plates, bowls, silverware, pots, pans, and coffee pot. There is no dishwasher in the hotel rooms. The mattress wasn't really that great probably needs to be replaced. We never really had any problems with noise either. The hotel is in a good location close to a lot of different attractions and restaurants. I have read several reviews and a lot of people talk about the elevators, to be honest yes they might sound a little scary but we never once had a problem with them and we used them quite a bit, We never had any problems with anything getting stolen and the house keeping staff and the rest of the staff were always friendly and helpful. The ocean view cafe breakfast buffet was good it's about $6.95/person for the buffet. Yes the hotel side does need some updating, but its honestly not that bad. Parking for the hotel side is kind of limited probably between 10-15 parking spots only. If you are unable to find a parking spot there you have to park across the street. If you stay on the condo side you park in the parking garage attached to the condo building. They let us go over and look at a 2 bedroom condo and we really liked it a lot better. The mattresses on the condo side are more comfortable too. We will stay here again and hopefully next time we can stay on the condo side. Oh if you want a great seafood buffet go to Captain George's it was amazing!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

I read the reviews about the hotel and didn't want to take any chances so I opted for the condo instead. I stayed in the E/K Side oceanview King suite condo. I want this review is for people who are moderately particular like me. What I call moderately particular is the fact that I travel with lysol wipes and wipe down the remotes, bathroom shower, tub and countertops and also the kitchen in every hotel or condo I stay in no matter how clean it may look. I also inspect the sheets and mattresses on all beds. The Holiday Sands South condo was clean except for a little patch of mold in the shower near the ceiling. The room was somewhat modern (typical hotel decor) and everything else seems to be clean. The people at the front desk were friendly and helpful. Our suite had a wall bed in the living room and a king bed in the bedroom (which was very spacious). There was washer/dryer in our suite and a kitchen. I would definitely go back. The price was right and I would give it a "B" for cleanliness (because of the patch of mold). My only other criticism is that they should invest in better mattresses, perhaps pillowtop. No problems with noise from other suites. It is located right on the beach

Room Tip: I would stick to the condos. the hotel doesn't look that nice.
Kannapolis, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

We decided to come inoto MB a few days early and booked an efficiency hotel room on the fly. For $80 a night I can't complain. Yes, the rooms are dated, there is rust on some areas around the pool and most of the hotel needs a paint job, but honestly this is what $80 a night will get you in MB during high season. This place is clean and decently comfortable. I would stay here again if we needed a quick stay until our stay begins elsewhere. The front desk people are not overly warm and friendly but are helpful and congenial. No serious complaints, decent hotel.

Anderson, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at Holiday Sands South Beach for the 3rd time. I have always been very pleased with our accommodations. I admit the rooms need to be updated a little, but I would definitely stay again. The pictures you see posted from other travelers are true to how the condos look. I have never stayed in the hotel, always in the condos. My 1st two visits, we had a 2 bedroom condo. This time we had a 1 bedroom north, side view on 8th floor. The view of beach was very good. Our room was actually closer to the street side, but we had no problem with noise. The room was very quite. We actually used the pull down wall bed, which is not the best, but it was easy to pull down and gave us a good extra full bed. This condo is in a good location & was easy to get in & out. The front desk staff were very friendly. In fact, due to a family emergency, we had to check out a day early. They were very understanding. Although I did not get a refund, I did receive credit for the one night amount with up to a year to use it.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Richmond, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012 via mobile

My family and I have stayed here twice this year alone. The staff is always helpful, the hotel is oceanfront, the rooms are clean, and it's I'm a good area. We've met wonderful people there and we will definitely stay again. It's nothing upscale, just a nice ordinary room for you ad your family to stay in. The ocean view cafe has the best breakfast buffet. We have a family of four and it cost us about 36.00 which wasn't bad. The pools and hot tub are great as well. We call this hotel our diamond in the rough.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Sands South? Share your experiences!