“depends on what you're looking for.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Bermuda Sands Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Bermuda Sands Motel
104 North Ocean Blvd., Myrtle Beach, SC 29577   |
Ranked #162 of 214 hotels in Myrtle Beach
Massillon, Ohio
“depends on what you're looking for.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011

I was planning a trip with my boyfriend and another couple and we are all about 20 years of age so it was dificult to find a place that would rent to us.. I searched the entire shore of myrtle and came across this motel. Although the reviews all seem terrible I would say it was not as bad as they make them seem. The staff was extremely helpful and kind, but when asked to recieve more towels they said we would get them shortly and turned out to be a few hours. The room itself is in a great location if you are a younger group and LIKE noise/population. They do allow pets and it did not smell at all. This place was cheap and we were expecting the worst but we were plesently surprised the room condition was not so good, but the veiw was great. The sheets were clean but the carpeting was OLD and in general the entire room could use modivations. If you have limited founds and still wish to enjoy a beach front room this is the place for you but I truly mean this when I say if you have more money to spend do it trust me it is worth it! Other than that I enjoyed laying around the lazy river and being in walking distance of everything.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends

487 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2011

This was a spontaneous trip, my boyfriend, the dog and I took. It was very hard finding a hotel that welcomed pets. Because it was Beach Week for the High School kids, mostly everything was taken. We stopped here, and the only room available on the beach side was the Penthouse. Though it was reasonably priced for the season, we took it thinking it had more to offer than just a SPECTACULAR view (plus, in the back of my mind I'm thinking HECK YEAH! PENTHOUSE!). WELL... though the room was spacious, the carpets in the room were moist... maybe from humidity, or the fact that no one stays in that room. The bathtub was an older model whirlpool, and looked it's age (as did all of the other furniture, fixtures and carpet). The furniture in the 'living' area was stained and damaged (I wouldn't even let the dog sit on it) not to mention, there was dog hair from the people who were preciously there (like they didn't vacuum). There are no ice machines... we had to walk to the store to get ice. There was the lingering smell of RAID!! (or some type of bug spray) throughout the hotel and the elevator.
Granted, it was not the greatest experience (maybe would have been back in the 70's) the view of the beach was AWESOME, and the attendants at the front desk were very nice and accommodating. While realizing most of the properties at this beach are older and more run down, I would consider spending the money for something newer, or better kept. I would stay there again if I HAD to, but it won't be my first choice!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Gaffney, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

I have stayed at the Bermuda Sands for the last 4 years and sometimes twice a year. Anytime family and friends asked me where to stay I would send them here. Well that is something I will never do again. When I booked my room they said they still didn't let anyone under 21 stay there, when I got there the first night was fine. The second night thru the 7th was horrible. Drunk teenagers everywhere. I was in a room with teenagers on both sides of me and above me. They would yell, scream, fight, and slam doors all night long waking up my children and parents. We called the office and was told something would be done, but nothing ever was. People smoking pot in the hallways, the teens next to us smoking pot on their balcony which blew over to our room. Teens drunk and passed out with heads stuck in between bars of balconies overlooking the pool(which by the way these balconies was not private). Anytime someone walked down the boardwalk they would yell off their balconies at people. Girls that could have only been 15 or 16 drunk and staggering all over the place. We ended up leaving a day early because somehow the hotel that I was told was family friendly had been over run by drunk underage teenagers. When I called to speak with the manager after coming back home there was a lot of excuses as to why I couldnt speak with him. When finally talking to him about it he acted as if he really didnt care. When I told him I was angry about being lied to as far as no one under 21, he said the person who made my reservations didnt lie, that when I made them they wasn't renting to anyone under 21 but in May decided they would due to the economy being bad and not having enough renters. The manager then told me there was a situation going on that needed to be taken care of and promised he would call me back the very next day, and that was over a week ago and still haven't heard anything. My advice is if you have family and are taking them to the beach please do not stay here!!!! This hotel is for teenagers getting drunk, doing drugs, and hooking up with underage girls.

Mooresville, NC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011

I wanted to take the family to MB this year. We were on a tight budget and we liked the rates here. That is the best part of the motel. I learned a valuable lesson. If you don't want a motel full of riff-raff type people pay a little extra and stay somewhere else. Parking was horrible. There were no spots. We called the front desk and they said to park in the Ocean's one parking lot. That worried me but we had no choice. Did not have any problem other than its about 2 blocks away. The motel is very dirty. Garbage everywhere. Broken glass near the pool area for 3 days and was never cleaned up. Our stove had 2 broken burners so it was basically pointless having it. 2nd day our toilet would not flush. Went to the front desk and asked for a plunger. They did not have one. Asked what we should use and he told us to go to the 2nd ave pier and use the bathroom. Seriously. 3 hours later it still was not fixed until we complained again and then maintenance came over and had it fixed in 2 minutes. The smoke detector was torn off and thrown in a drawer. The door to the bathroom was basically busted through. The room smelled aweful. Used a whole bottle of Febreeze. Cigarette burns in the furniture. Walls are paper thin. We heard tv's, fighting, etc all night.

We never had maid service. Had to ask for towels every day. We made our own beds. The house keepers just stand around and talk on their cell phones all day. They are very nice but really do no do their job.

The location is not bad. Traffic there is HORRIBLE and its very loud. I liked being able to walk down the boardwalk but would never stay here to do it.

It is not a good family motel. At least not during the busy months. Lots of public drunkeness, smoking, swearing, etc. Just a very low class of people stay here. The pictures fool you. It looks like a nice place but isn't. I thought I was smart and saved about $150 by staying here. 10 minutes after I got there I wish I would have spent that $150 and stayed at a nicer motel.

I wasn't expecting a 4 star motel, but I did expect it to be clean and everything work but that was not the case.

Concord, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011

This hotel experience was absolutely awful. The staff acts like they barely know whats going on, and good luck parking anywhere close to the hotel. I was terrified to come back to the hotel at night because there were always sketch people standing outside of the front of the hotel and I could tell they were up to no good. Our room was right next to the ash trey so the entire week our room smelled like cigarette smoke. There was also mold on the ceiling of the bathroom. I was afraid to take a shower because of how disgusting the bathroom was. Also the towels were basically hand towels. The house keeper only came at 10 in the morning but never had clean towels so we were forced to wait until 3 pm to get them. If you were not out of the room when she came she just left and didnt come back. Our room went an entire week without being changed. The room smelled and the tv was outdated. There wasnt even a clock in the room! The location is on the beach but its also in the hood and seems to be a dangerous place. THIS PLACE IS NOT WORTH THE CHEAP PRICE!!! DONT STAY HERE YOU WILL BE MISERABLE YOUR ENTIRE VACATION!!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Greenfield
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2011

We booked this hotel because it was pet friendly and at the time I felt that we may need to bring our dog. It was one of the few hotels in Myrtle Beach that would allow larger dogs. We ended up leaving our dog with my father and I was going to switch rooms but the rates were so much better than some of the other hotels in the area that I decided to stay with Bermuda Sands. The website shows a family friendly clean environment. None of which the hotel is. The hotel lobby was very inviting the staff very friendly, the hotel itself was nasty. They allow younger people to book these rooms and it is not monitored. I smelled pot smoke in the hallway, and someone actually got drunk urnitated themself and took there shorts off in the elevator and they stayed there for sometime. The entire hotel smelled of old beer and urnine. I felt nasty sleeping in the beds and the electrical outlites were horrible. We had an oceanfront room and the door to the balcony was broke. My mother has never seen the ocean so I took her on vacation this year and her front door and balcony door was broken. The young lady staying in the room next her cried and yelled all night in a drunken rage and nothing was done about it. It reminded me of a frat house. They advertise to families but cater to Jersey Shore freaks. This is not a good family vacation hotel, but hey if you want to go and get drunk and sleep with strangers in a nasty room then this is the place for you. I will not bring my family back here again. It should be shut down. Again the staff was wonderful, but the hotel itself was horrible. DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!

Room Tip: Do not stay here.
Ringgold, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

This was our first time to MB. We are Gulf of Mexico people. I was so amazed and surprised by glorious MB. We actually booked a room on the North Beach for the first 3 nights and then moved to Bermuda Sands for our last night.
We loved it.
We love the Pier, and we were so very close. No, the room was not the Ritz, but it was nice enough for a beachy room. We don't like the huge "resorts" that you have to walk for 15 minutes just to get to the beach. I am used to old PCB where you walk out your back door, and you are on sand. The beach is the beach. The rooms and the Hotels take a big hit.
The weather, the people, oh yeah and the people. We just always take that into consideration. We loved it, and I hope we can go back again this year even if it is nearly 10 hours away.

Room Tip: We were on the last end room next to the Pier
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Bermuda Sands Motel? Share your experiences!