“Amazing!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort

You added Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort to your Saves list
Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   415 S. Ocean Blvd., Myrtle Beach, SC 29577 (Formerly Holiday Inn)   |
Ranked #82 of 214 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Kearny, NJ
“Amazing!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

We were able to get 2 rooms on the oceanfront side of the resort. Since we were on the 16th floor we were able to be in the more modern building of the resort. My family had 2 connecting rooms that had a lot of space and fully appointed kitchens. The resort was right on the ocean, and had 2 pools and a lazy river just in case you didn't want to deal with the jellyfish or sand. Everything was wonderful but be prepared to endure the timeshare sales tactics, which aren't as bad as other places. We weren't kept the usual 3-4 hours, just 2 hours. The things that needed improvement were the fitness center could've been better maintained, the dryer in the room could've dried the clothes better, and parking was terrible for a resort. But who goes on vacation to exercise, the clothes eventually dry, and I'd rather be slightly inconvienced with them being very accomodating to everyone with the parking than have to park on the street and pay for parking. The hotel is right on the strip with an amusement park and Friendly's is right across the street. Everything else was just amazing.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
WGMB, General Manager at Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort, responded to this review, September 8, 2011
Thank you for all the kind words and for taking the time to let us know you had such an "Amazing" time while visiting the Westgate Myrlte Beach Oceanfront Resort. We are happy we were able to get you 2 rooms on the oceanfront side of the resort, and that you enjoyed it so much. From your comments it sounds like we hit a homerun and hoped that you would appreciate the amount ofspace and fully appointed kitchens, the oceanfront location, 2 pools and the lazy river.
I do want to let you know that since you were here we added flat panel TV's in the Fitness Center, as well as additional interior decorating. We understand your comments regarding parking during the peak season. While we do have ample parking it sometimes possible that one will need to use the overflow parking directly across the street.
I want to thank you again for sharing your comments with us, and we look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
Wytheville,VA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

I will start by saying the room was furnished better than any I have ever stayed in. The bed was very big and the marble counters were quite elegant. Having said that the customer service was terrible. When I pay 68$ per night I expect to get $68 dollars worth of service. When I pay $1500 for a week, I expect to get a little better than I got. My wife and I pulled back the curtain to the balcony and discovered a PAIR OF DIRTY SOCKS left from the last guest. How well has a room been cleaned if they missed a pair of dirty socks? I would guess not very well. Do you honestly expect me to believe that they cleaned the toliet, shower, or even changed the bed linen? Then, when I told the manager on duty, she acted like she really didn't care much that it happened. Although she did offer to have the room recleaned,almost as an after thought, her only response was "That should never have happened". That seemed to be all I heard anytime I had any issue with my stay. Also the website has listed that cribs are available. I have a 5 month old daughter and they brought me a pack and play that was as hard as the floor for her to sleep on. This is completely unacceptable. No one could fix my problem only suggesting to add extra blankets to the bottom, then I never received the extra blankets as promised! And "That should never have happened" was my only consulation. The only thing that should have never happened is I SHOULD HAVE NEVER STAYED AT THIS HOTEL WITH SO MANY OTHER CHOICES IN MYRTLE BEACH. The whole staff seemed to be very good at passing the buck to someone else but never anyone saying a simple "I'm sorry,how can I help you" except the one lady at the front desk who helped me order pizza. She knows who she is because we discussed Derek Jeter hitting 3000. Thank You very much for your help. I will never stay here again because I can get $68 worth of customer service anywhere.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
WGMB, General Manager at Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort, responded to this review, September 21, 2011
Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know how much you enjoyed your stay and that you felt that it was very well decorated, and appreciated the granite counter tops, stainless appliances, the rainfall shower head, and the sleep quality of the bed.

I have taken noticed of your areas that we did not live up to our standards during your stay and have brought them to the attention of the Executive Housekeeper, and the Manager on Duty. I am deeply sorry that we did not fulfill your expectations and provide the service we are known for. There is no excuse, but I do appreciate you bringing this to our attention so that we may bettter serve you in the future.

Tarboro, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

Beware, this review may have a Jekyll & Hyde feel to it. Try to follow without getting confused. I'll review my thoughts at the end!

Cliffs Notes
Pros: Customer service, location
Cons: Timeshare tour, dated building
Trivial Cons (I'm willing to overlook, but you should know): Pay for wifi, parking across street, $7.25 drinks at pool bar (mini fridge in room so stock up!!)

Man what a prime piece of...... real estate! The property is nestled right at the heart of the Myrtle Beach strip. The Family Kingdom Amusement Park sits across the street, the Family Kingdom Water Park is right next door, and the beach is right off your balcony! The hotel has a new lap pool and hot tub, lazy river, water play park, and a regular pool to retreat to after the beach has taken it's toll on you. The location was perfect for my family of four including a 7 year old and newborn (1 month). It was ideal for entertaining big sis at the beach and parks, but also allowed mom and baby brother to retreat to the room as needed.

As far as the hotel itself... it is a very average oceanfront hotel. I would gladly return for the right price, but won't necessarily encourage my friends to book there unless they get a deal (without falling for the timeshare tour, which I will come back to). I would not consider paying full price during the peak season. The hotel building is showing it's age. Cozy and comfortable, but far from luxurious as you would consider with by the "resort" name. The tower with the condos is closer to the resort type, however the property doesn't offer any amenities that I think are needed to be considered a resort property. The new tower is home to luxurious condos that are timeshare properties.

And that is pretty much the scheme that the hotel operates on... they offer a great deal on a vacation package to Myrtle Beach in exchange for you attending their timeshare sales pitch. Beware though, you will not stay in the luxurious condos that they are trying to get you to invest in and the presentation is much longer than the 90 minutes that you agree to. In fact, our timeshare tour was 3 hours. After 95 minutes, I politely told my guide that his 90 minutes was up and that we were not interested. I was told that he and his manager had to finish their jobs, which again took an additional 90 minutes after I had fulfilled my obligation and explained to them that I was not interested. 3 hours of adult talk with a 1 month old and a 7 year old that is anxious to hit the beach seemed more like a lifetime. While I continued to hear throughout the tour that I would not be pressured into purchasing a timeshare, it took us saying "no" to 4 offers from the tour manager including a rock bottom offer, before they finally got the picture and signed for us to leave. Also, after we had to pay to upgrade from city view to oceanfront it turns out that my savings on this package may have amounted to 1 night free. Sounds like a good deal, but I'm not sure it was worth the 3 hours of vacation time that I lost with my family. I fulfilled my obligation of 90 minutes, but the extra 90 minutes that Westgate stole really left a bad taste in my mouth. I take full responsibility b/c I have been told my entire life to avoid these timeshare pitches, but I'm thrifty and went for the bargain!

Back to the positive side... Every single employee that I encountered went out of their way to speak first, greeted my family with a smile, and often asked what they could do for us. Even the timeshare employees were respectful and personable, but they had a job to do and they made sure that their job was done. Each employee was professional throughout the stay and for that reason I would return (of course only without the timeshare tour hanging over my head). I just hope I can get a reasonable deal for a dated hotel with limited amenities.

Room Tip: If getting a timeshare tour package make sure they include the oceanfront upgrade on their dime!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
WGMB, General Manager at Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort, responded to this review, September 13, 2011
Thank you for letting us know that you had such a great vacation with us. We are always pleased when people like yourself take the time to let us know we did a great job. We also appreciate your thoughts on how we can make it even better for you in the future. Again, thank you so much for your feedback, and kind words, we look forward to serving you again soon.

Columbia, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

Just left this beautiful resort and my family and I had a wonderful vacation. Staff was friendly and helpful. I appreciated the free wireless and being left alone to enjoy my stay. No one was knocking on the door every day...if you need housekeeping all you have to do is call the front desk. We had our own personal concierge available with one cell call and that was an amazing extra. We got VIP service. This hotel is still under construction (they're adding more buildings and the spa isn't complete but we had a room with a jacuzzi). As usual, the view of the ocean was amazing...two doors for access to the balcony. The bathroom was set up so that the toilet was separate from sinks and shower...nice touch. There is a lot to like about this hotel. We will stay there again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for letting us know that you had such a great vacation with us. We are always pleased when people like yourself take the time to let us know we did a great job. Again, thank you so much, we look forward to serving you again soon.

Burlington, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

I booked my room in May, two months before I stayed at the resort. When something is booked that far in advanced I expect it to be ready when I arrive, that is just business etiquette. When I arrived at the resort, the service was slow and there was a long line of people checking in, two staff members behind the desk were shooting the wind, doing nothing. The staff was unprepared. I was tried from traveling and the desk help was rude, we could not find our room, due to the strange numbers on the room key. When we finally arrived to our room around 5:30, an hour and a half after check-in, it had not been cleaned! The housekeeper made a few phone calls and then told us to come back in 2 hours!!! I was so mad, I travelled for 4 hours to come and relax in an amazing room at the beach and I could not even rest for a few minutes in my room. While we were gone, the room was on our dime now, I am 100% sure the housekeeping staff made the two long distance calls that I had to pay for. I was very upset with my stay and would think twice before staying there again. I am 20 years-old and wanted to take an unforgettable trip with my loved ones, for the amount I paid to stay there I was "Not Pleased". Yes the room was nice but it was not what I was expecting. I would recommend that they update their website and include MANY pictures of each room, as well as floor plans for each room, instead of just one picture and one floor plan that did not even resemble the room I stayed in. Because my room was nothing like the online photo; it made me very skeptical if I was receiving what I paid for. Also, the room next to me had a baby crying and a dog barking all day long; if we were in the room more than we were we would have complained. In the more expensive rooms, maybe you shouldn’t let animals stay. I was very disappointed in my stay, and it takes a lot to ruin my day, I’m a very happy and optimistic person, which is the only reason I did not complain! The only nice things were the location of the resort, the security, and the number of pools and things to do. The room was lovely and slept well, but not what I was expecting.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to give us your input. We appreciate the high marks on cleanliness, and sleep quality. Your comments regarding service been address with the front desk and we have taken corrective action. This is very unfortunate as this is by no means normal. Thank you again for letting us know how we may better serve you in the future.

Virginia Beach, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

Being called an owner doesn't mean anything special at Westgate. Brand new building, broken plumbing, missing 17th floor button on elevator and most importantly the service given to the "owners" suck. We arrived on our checkin date and was told there were no rooms in the new tower where we purchased a unit. We were put in older units for the night and when we were moved, we had to pretty much demand help with moving all of our belongings. They were going to give us carts and leave it to us. If we were at a hotel and had to change rooms, we would have been assisted by bellmen with carts. I expect more having to pay all year for one week and then getting here and being basically treated like a nobody. But those whom they invite to tour the property are treated very well. And most have no intention of buying anything. Its fairly obvious. They're getting a free weekend just to spend an hour to walk around for a tour. The owners are not getting the services promised, but its like screw you, we're going to find new prospective owners. DON'T BUY AT WESTGATE. Unless you don't care about being treated like an owner and just want a place to stay. A POOR investment. We will do our best to sell our timeshare. Dissapointing!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay. We hope to serve you again soon to show we do care very much about every experience an owner has with us, and look forward to proving to you that our standards and ability are by far greater than your previous stay. We look forward to welcoming you back to your home away from home very soon.

Hiddenite, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

We just spent a week at Westgate. I was scared at first from reviews I read. We stayed in the North Tower and the villa was wonderful. The had fun things for the kids to do. We will be staying there again. Thanks Westgate! I will also like to thank the staff, they were GREAT!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
WGMB, General Manager at Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort, responded to this review, September 10, 2011
Thank you for the great review and we are glad you appreciated all the amenities we offer. There is nothing more rewarding than being told how much you enjoyed your stay. We thank you for the kind words and look forward to your future visits!

Sincerely, The General Manager

Been to Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort? Share your experiences!