“This place is horrible.” 1 of 5 stars

Add it.
No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Golden Sands Motel
2603 South Ocean Blvd., Myrtle Beach, SC 29577   |
Ranked #165 of 214 hotels in Myrtle Beach
indiana
“This place is horrible.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2009

My family and I visited the Golden Sand Motel in mid June. This place was horrible. The room they put us in had no telephone service and roaches. We complained and they offered to spray for us, which they didnt complete until the next morning. On the 2nd day there, I left to go to the grocery, only to come back to an evicton notice posted. The hotel was being forclosed on. We had to vacate within 24 hours. Lovely. Now at the last minute I have to back my nephew up, myself, and my mom. At first, they were saying they weren't going to refund money, but they ended up doing it. This place is horrible, if it has re-opened, do not stay there. It isn't worth it.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

26 people have reviewed this hotel

Couples
Business
charlestonwv
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2009

We had stayed at the Golden Sands for the past 20+ years as my parents had timeshared there years ago. There had been some problems with the current owner CarolJean and even though some of my family had stopped going there we continued. We checked in and there was dried stool on the commode seat in the bathrom which should have been Clue 1 but I had brought disinfectant with me and it was cleaned. The tile squares for floor covering let you skate across the room when coming in wet and with a 2 yr old with us I went out and bought throw rugs so he wouldn't fall and get hurt. Then on Day 2 the ceiling above us cracked from a water leak water came pouring into our room at the table and my cellphone happened to by laying on the table and got wet and when it did it fried the phone. The manager was called and after about 5 minutes she came and was worried about covering up her tv instead of the room, She was very put off with the situation but offered us her own personal room on the 3rd floor which I was not happy with but we moved after having unpacked everything the day before without any assistance from her staff. She assured me she would have my phone replaced and not to worry if I needed to communicate with my office just let them know to call the office and she would have staff find me if I was needed. This didn't happen she finally got my phone fixed after 2 days and I let her know that I did not think that she had acted very professional and she let me know in no uncertain terms that she was educated which was then when I reminded her she was in a service business as well as I and if I treated my customers as she treated us then we would have no business. She was insulting and downright nasty to myself and husband and bascially called us both liars even though we were paying her for this inconvenience. Subsequent years we have continued to come to Myrle Beach and have seen this motel go downward year after year which is sad because it has so many pleasant childhood memories. I did write the Chamber of Commerce to let them know of this situation but I would advise anyone with any sense stay away from the Golden Sands and Carol,

• Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
North Myrtle Beach
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2009

The rooms are filthy; the commode broke away from the wall, flooded the room, and they kept our $100 deposit for the repair! Roach infested - bugs crawling on our babies. The microwave contained cigarette burns when we arrived, but they tried to blame us - we didn't smoke in the room! A sham operation for sure - beware. Make sure you document everything upon arrival if you chance staying at this dump.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
shelby
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2009

this hotel is the worst
please trust me do not stay there u will regret it

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Beckley, WV
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2009

We have stayed here for like 5 years. We can take our pets, children. Yeah there isnt anything to do. But, hey it's a place to lay your head. enjoy the beach. thats what your there for............

• Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
Lake Wylie, SC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2008

So much was wrong with this place that I don't even know where to begin. Me and my husband and my son ended up going on a family trip with my in-laws. So we got adjoining rooms. When we booked the rooms we were told that these were smoking rooms. Well, when we got upstairs it was a different story. We were entering the doorway to the room and we saw the non-smoking sign. Well, when we inquired at the front desk about this situation we were told that we could still smoke on the balcony. That wasn't so bad and we didn't want to have to try to find another motel room on Labor Day weekend and they gave us a pretty good rate; but at first the balcony door for my room was stuck and it wouldn't come open so we were having to come all of the way down off of the 3rd floor if we wanted to smoke and the in-laws were in bed. We told the front desk clerk about the door being jammed so he came upstairs and got the door open but then we had another problem; the door would open just fine but it wouldn't lock. The management promised to fix in the morning but it never happened. So for the 5 nights that we stayed there the only thing keeping my 2 year old son from falling to his death was a chain lock. When we got ready for bed that night I pulled back the comforter (there was pet fecal matter on it) and a huge urine stain in the middle of my bed. So I attempted to call the front desk again only to find my room had a phone on the nightstand but the phone cord had been chewed in half. Management said there was no way to fix it. When I asked for a set of clean sheets the motel staff said that they would have to charge me for them because they had just been changed earlier that day. I threatened to take my business elsewhere but the maid finally gave in and brought me a set of clean sheets and a comforter but I had to make the bed up myself. I know this is long but I'm just getting started. We went 2 days without clean towels because every time the maid would come around we would always ask for clean towels and the reply every time was that she would bring me some back; (She never did). That night when I went to get into the bathtub for a much needed soak I discovered the bathtub had almost no cold running water so I had to run my bathwater and my sons and wait for almost 20 minutes before we could even get in. Well after the 4th night of us being there we were offered a free one night stay at their motel in October (weren't actually planning to stay there again but decided maybe we had just caught them at a bad time)(There was a catch, had to pay for 6 more nights to get a free night.) Well we went to check out (they offered us a return of $20 if everything was intact in each room and we returned the tv remotes and the room keys we had to wait for the maid to go and inspect our rooms we were told that the refund could not be given in our room because my son had urinated in his bed. (His diaper leaked.) How is that any different than the urine stain that was already there when we got there? All in all I wouldn't advise anyone and I mean ANYONE in staying there if they would like to make their vacation enjoyable. Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you about the pool. This was the nastiest thing I have ever seen in my life. The pool filter backed up and there was sand all over the bottom of the pool. Yesterday they spent all day working on it with the pool being closed. Finally got the filters working again but since it was getting dark they decided they werent going to get the huge amount of sand out of it until the next day; workers were drinking beer while trying to repair it. They told us we could swim in it if we didnt mind it being dirty. How nasty!!!!!!!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything!!!!!! It was horrible
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
sc
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2008

SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS. Rooms and hotel nasty. The room we stayed in was the size of a bathroom. The manager was rude and nasty. She tried to tell the guests what they could wear and I told her when she buys my clothes she can tell me what to and how to wear them. She is very discriminating. They won't rent to you if you have lots of tats or the way you dress, etc etc. Then while staying the ambulance had to be called due to her overnight clerk ODing in the office, not to mention he had hit on my husband while we were there. We left after 1 night. What a DUMP!!!! The price of the rooms changes from person to person.Shut it down and bulldoze it over.

• Liked — nothing but leaving it
  • Disliked — everything about it
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Golden Sands Motel? Share your experiences!